A Mercenary's Tale
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2018 by 2 flags

Samuel and the others made their way towards the council chamber. The council was in session. Two of his men guarded the door.

“Let us pass.”

The two men, seeing who it was, saluted and opened the door. Roderick looked up.

“What are you doing here? This council is in session. You can’t just barge in here!”

“Gentlemen, I apologise for barging in like this, but some new and disturbing information was uncovered last night. I have with me, one of the men responsible for an attack which nearly cost several of the town guards their lives. He is going to tell you all why the attack took place, and what his orders were.”

They all looked towards the prisoner.

Roderick tried to speak. Zachary, his main opponent on the council shouted him down, asking him what he had to hide. Roderick swallowed and sat down. The prisoner started to speak.

“My name is Bruce. I am a member of a group led by a man called Garth. Last night we were given orders to attack a party returning to the priest’s house. We were told to capture all the women, particularly Lady Isabella Blackmore. She was to be given to a man called Ebenezeer. We were also told to capture any young boys. They were to be given to Roderick.”

There was uproar at this. Several council members were on their feet demanding to know exactly what was going on, who was this Garth and the man before them.

Samuel held up his hands. Slowly the room quieted. “That man there,” he said pointing at Roderick “is in league with the known bandit: Garth. That man and his gang is known to be responsible for many of the crimes in this area. We have never been able to catch him. He was always one step ahead of us. Now we know why. Roderick has been passing him information. He also has a penchant for young boys.”

“Lies! All lies. You have no proof! All you have is the word of this bandit!”

“Ask yourselves why would this man lie? What would he have to gain? He knows he is a dead man. His former boss, and Roderick here, would soon see to that. He knows too much. I went, on the specific request of Roderick, to speak to Sir Donald and Lady Isabella Blackmore last night. Roderick informed me that she was being held captive. When I arrived, they informed me that they were in fact married! The Lady Isabella was standing there with a sword, dagger and bow. Now I don’t know about any of you, but I have never heard of a kidnapper arming his captive! When we arrived and met with Sir Donald and Lady Isabella, we were immediately attacked. It was only the swift actions of Sir Donald and Lady Isabella - and she, by the way, accounted for a number of assailants herself - that we were saved. If not for them we would now all be dead. I can only suppose that this was part of his plan to get this Garth promoted to the captain of the guard. This would have given Roderick total control of the council. After all, who can challenge him from a prison cell?”

Roderick panicked. He looked left and right then bolted for the door. He was stopped by the guards waiting there. Zachary got to his feet.

“I think his actions confirm his guilt. I propose a motion of thanks to Samuel, for bringing this to our attention. Take him to the dungeon. We’ll deal with him after the meeting.”

Roderick was taken away. The council meeting descended into chaos. Shouts came from one man, and then another. It was obvious that the different factions were fighting for position. There was an argument over who was going to lead the council, now. Zachary thought he should take charge. Unfortunately, he was not as popular as he thought. There were several others who thought they should hold the reigns of power. In the end it was decided they would allow Earl Tathlone to appoint a new leader to the council. That effectively meant that Ebenezeer would be choosing the next leader. It was also decided that the allegations were so serious that only the Earl, or his appointed representative, could hear them.

It was then that Samuel knew they had to leave. It was obvious that Ebeneezer’s influence was greater than any of them realised. Given what had happened, there was a good chance that Roderick would walk free. He looked at Bruce. The man’s eyes were wild. He knew he was a dead man walking. If he stayed to give evidence, then Garth or someone else was sure to kill him.

“Come with me,” Samuel ordered.

“Where we going?”

“Come with me and live, or stay here and die, your choice.”

They left the chamber. The men within too busy arguing and bickering to worry about a mere guard. He told the two men outside to come with him. He collected the other guards and made his way to the town guard office.

“We have a choice. As you can all see, the problems here run very deep. I do not intend to stay. Chances are that Roderick will be released soon. You all know he likes young boys. If any of you value your children think of that. If any of you wish to accompany me you are more than welcome. Speak up now, for this will be your only chance.”

“What do you mean?” asked one man who had not been at the meeting.

Samuel explained what had occurred and how the councillors had reacted at the meeting. There was a lot of discussion of what had gone on. In the end around six decided that they would accompany Samuel. They made their way to the caravan’s quarters.

“Well, what have we here?” Donald asked as he saw them approach.

“We have decided to join you, if you’ll have us.”

“I don’t mind the rest of you, but what’s he doing here?” he asked pointing at Bruce.

“Things didn’t go to well at the meeting. Roderick has more friends that we realised. They stalled the trial, and the appointment of a new leader of the town council. It’s time for us to get out. Bruce here realises he’s a dead men walking. His one and only chance of staying alive, is to come with us. I know how you feel, but I ask you to give him a chance. If he puts a foot out of place, I’ll kill him, myself.”

“Not happy, Samuel, not happy at all. He tried to kill us, once! What’s to say he wont try again? He’s a bandit and a thief. He may try to harm the women or children,” He turned to Bruce “Give me one good reason why I should trust you? Tell me why I shouldn’t kill you, right here and now.”

The man was white. He looked into Donald’s eyes and saw not one drop of compassion. He swallowed.

“I can’t. You are right. I am a bandit and a thief. Have been ever since I can remember. Needed to steal to get food. I got used to it, so I kept stealing. It’s all I know. As for being a danger to your wives and children. I have never harmed a woman or child. I may have handed them over to Garth and others, but personally I have never harmed them. I promise I will not steal from you, or any of your men, or this party. That is all I can do.”

Donald put his face right up to Bruce’s.

“If I hear just one complaint about you, just one, I will personally gut you. Do you understand?”

“Yes...” he stuttered.

He understood, all right. He was so frightened he pissed himself.

Donald looked at Samuel and nodded. Samuel led the terrified man away.

“Shit! He’s scary! I wouldn’t want him mad at me!” remarked one of the men who accompanied Samuel.

“That’s him being nice. If he had been really mad, he would have just gutted Bruce, here, without a second thought,” Samuel informed them.

“Have you known him long?” asked one of the men, who was called Luke

“Yes, I have. He was a wet behind the ears boy when I first met him. That was twenty years ago. I trained him, we all trained him. He was like a sponge. He soaked up the information. He’s the best warrior I know. He’s also one of the most honourable men I know. If he says something he means it. If he says he’ll gut Bruce himself, then he’ll do it. Do as he asks and you’ll have no greater friend. He’ll never ask you to do something he’s not prepared to do himself. He leads from the front. That’s how he is. He is the best, his squad was the best. Now that we have joined him, we will be the best, even if it kills us!”

Donald returned to the others.

“Samuel has brought some of the other guards with him. It seems like Roderick has more friends here that we realised. I think it safer if we all fort up here at the compound, for now. We’ll go back for our things, but nobody is to go out alone. We must consider this hostile territory from now on. For now, we will continue with our training. There is one thing. He has brought with him that man Bruce. He was the bandit who was taken to the council to make his allegations against Roderick. He has offered him a chance of a new life with us. I am not so sure, but I am willing to give him the benefit of doubt, for now. I have told him that if I receive just one complaint, I will personally gut him. Hopefully that will keep him in line.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.