A Mercenary's Tale - Cover

A Mercenary's Tale

Copyright© 2018 by 2 flags

Chapter 10

Donald’s manner changed in an instant. He looked around the shop.

“Find me a rapier! The finest rapier you have, suitable for a lady. Also a sword breaker dagger, like mine, but finer. I will take six of the shields with me now. Go fetch your family then tell me where these men are located. Do not tell anyone you have seen me. I will need spears. Send all the shields and as many spears as you can manage to Nathaniel’s caravan.”

“Is there to be war?” he asked

“Yes, if what I fear comes to pass, then yes. This entire region may descend into all out war. If it does, then you may find that your entire stock is ‘requisitioned’ by whoever holds this town at any time.”

“Maybe it’s time to accompany my brother and his family.”

“A holiday by the sea may be the best course of action, at the moment.”

“Would you consider taking an arms dealer and his stock to Bridgeport, as well?”

“Indeed I would, indeed I would. How long will you need to pack everything up?”

“Two days.”

“Very well, report to us at Nathaniel’s caravan, in two days. We will take your family with us. Trust me, they will be safer with us than with anyone else.”

The man disappeared into his shop. Ten minutes later he re-appeared with his brother, and their children. The man was right when he described his niece, she was indeed a rare beauty! In fact, all the women were. The man was in his early forties, his wife the same. There were two girls and a boy. The older girl was eighteen; the boy, sixteen; and the youngest girl was thirteen. Henry and Simon’s eyes nearly popped out of their heads when they saw them.

“I am Sir Donald. This is my wife, the Lady Isabella Blackmore; her maid, Brianna; Lieutenant Alan; Henry; and my squire, Simon.”

Their eyes went wide at this.

“I am Gordon. This is my wife Henrietta, our children Eleanor, Robert and Tabitha. You already know my brother William.”

William handed Donald the rapier and dagger he had requested

“I took the liberty of choosing a scabbard and belt for them as well. I hope you do not mind.”

“Not at all. Here my love, let me help you on with this.” He helped Isabella on with her sword and dagger.

Isabella drew her sword and swung it a few times. She went through a few forms ... well, as many as she could, given the confines of the shop. The sword was beautiful. It flowed through the air as if it was an extension of her arm. She beamed with pleasure.

“It’s beautiful, thank you.”

“‘Tis my pleasure, Milady. It’s not often one sees a lady with your skill,” William told her.

“As you can see, the Lady Isabella is not being held under any duress, nor against her will. I will need helmets and surcoats for the adults. Shields and spears as well,” Donald smiled and said.

These were soon provided.

“Apparently there are four men asking about you. They are in the White Swan inn. Be careful, it is a dangerous place.”

Donald smiled. It was not a nice smile. In fact it chilled the blood in William’s veins. He suddenly felt very sorry for the Baron’s men.

“Any place can be dangerous. Don’t worry, I’ll just ensure that these men never report back to the Baron.”

William returned to the back of his shop. He came out with the surcoats and helmets as requested. He also brought out the most magnificent shield Donald had ever seen. It was the same as the others except it was covered in burnished bronze. He hefted it and smiled. It just felt right.

“Ladies in the centre, men on the outside.” He turned to the father and son. “Remember, scowl at any who look at you. If they try to stop us, stick them.”

Donald was glaring at them. Isabella turned to him. She took his head in her hands.

“Darling, you’re scaring them. If you keep on they’re likely to piss themselves. If you do this to your men, what on earth will you do to your enemies?”

They all laughed at this. It broke the tension and Donald smiled.

“Sorry, I tend to get a bit intense at times like this. Let’s get back to the priest’s house, then we’ll sort out those men of the Baron’s.”

“Oh, William, tell your supplier I’ll take the rest of his stock. I want all, and I mean all of his shields,” Isabella told him.

They left the shop. They made a terrifying sight as the made their way through the town. People almost ... well, actually, they did ... ran to get out of their way. Very soon they were back at the priest’s house. The Bishop was there. He came out to see what the commotion was all about. He was startled and stepped back when he saw Donald standing there with the others.

“Sir Donald, whatever is the matter? Who are these people?”

“Bishop Rathbone, may I present Gordon, Henrietta and their children Eleanor, Robert and Tabitha. The Baron Shieldsmith has taken a shine to young Eleanor and will not be dissuaded. He is also claiming that her Ladyship and yourselves are being held under duress. There are four men asking for information about us. I am going to ensure that

they never report back to the Baron. I leave these folk here under your protection, the protection of the church. I will also leave Lieutenant Alan and Henry here as well as her Ladyship. Keep the door locked. I just need to get changed. Simon, with me.”

He disappeared into his room, and Isabella took charge.

“Right, everyone into the study. Tea for everyone, I think ... don’t you, Bishop?”

Tea was prepared. Henrietta asked how she came to meet sir Donald. Isabella told of how she was to be given in marriage to Lord Tathlone. She had refused and was subsequently banished to Riverdale nunnery. On the way they were attacked by bandits. Sir Donald saved them. She also told them of why they had abandoned their attempt to get to Riverdale. Of how the Baron had set a trap for her and her party. She also told them that she too had refused the Baron ten years earlier, and this was the cause of the fighting between her father and the Baron.

“My dear, that’s awful. The Baron wages war just because you refused him?”

“He doesn’t take rejection well. You may find you have to travel a long way to escape his grasp.”

Just then Donald came in. He no longer had his shield, instead he carried a small buckler on his left hand. He had his sword and dagger at his side and two cross belts of throwing knives across his chest.

“I have sent Simon with Michael to fetch David. Michael is to continue the training, there. I will take David and Henry with me.”

They waited until Simon returned with David. Donald gave David a shield.

“These are fantastic! I’ve never seen anything like it.”

“Good. Yours and Henry’s job is to stand there and look impressive. If I tell you to block the doorway, do just that. I have no idea exactly who I will be facing so I don’t want you taking any chances. Just stand there behind your shield, look menacing, and point your spear at people. Leave any fighting to me. Any questions? No? Good, let’s go.”

“Why would he say ‘leave the fighting to him?’ Wouldn’t he want those two to help?”

“No. They would probably just get in the way,” laughed Alan.

Donald and his men made their way to the inn where the Baron’s men were staying.

“Once inside let me do the talking. Once the fighting starts, just watch my back. Stop anyone else from coming up from behind.”

They entered the inn. Donald stood in the doorway, waiting for his eyes to adjust to the dimness. The place fell silent. He scanned the room, looking for his targets.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.