The Great War!
Part 5: Jericho - Part 2.

Copyright© 2017 by Dark Dragen

(Aftermath - Chapter 4!)
Jericho - Part 2

24th of October 2077 - Jericho, Jericho High School, School Gym:

It was afternoon and Mayor Green had called a town meeting at the local town school to let everyone know what was going on. He asked Kaidan and those Kaidan thought would be useful to be there, so that they could answer any questions that the Mayor himself could not answer. So Kaidan, Anna May Wong, Roy Benitez, Doctor Jessica Kandel, Faye and Heather Lau attended the meeting too. They would be the key players in town for a while and understood that the townspeople should know who they were and what their roles were going to be.

Once everyone was at the School Gym, or everyone that Mayor Green knew would be coming, Johnston Green started the meeting. “Ladies and gentlemen thank you all for coming today,” the mayor greeted the people. “Now I’m not going to make any fancy speeches today. No, today we get right to the point. Now yesterday, we all went to our fallout shelters because of reports of our country being bombed. Some of you are wondering if this was some kind of prank or trial run without prior warning. The truth is it was neither. Our country was attacked yesterday with nukes.”

“Who attacked us? Was it those damn communists?” a female called out. There was some mumbling at this, as others wondered about this themselves.

“I don’t know Ann,” Johnston informed the woman and everyone else in the gym. “Without the TV or radios working, I’ve been trying since yesterday to contact our governor, or anyone in government to find out what is going on and who attacked us. So far I have been unable to reach anyone, so I don’t know who attacked us. It is highly likely China pulled off the bombing in retaliation, as they might believe we launched the first few nukes and so launched back in response.”

There were many people that mumbled about this, wondering what was going on. Wondering if the communists had attacked them first or, as their mayor had just suggested, the Chinese believed that they were attacked first and so retaliated. Whatever the case, one of the male townsmen asked, “Who are those people behind you?” He pointed to the group of people seated behind the mayor, “Why are there three comm -” Seeing a dark look that promised a world of pain from Kaidan, he stopped in his tracks. Deciding on a different tack he asked “what are these Chinese women here for? How do we know that they were not part of these bombings?”

Before Johnston could say anything, Kaidan stood up and said, “Mayor Green, please let me deal with this.”

“Of course Commander Alenko.” the mayor acknowledged the man, using Kaidan’s new title so that people would notice. This did the trick, as people began to mutter about this, and some seemed to worry about it.

As Kaidan walked to the podium, he stood up straight and said, “Okay, before I begin, let’s get the introduction out of the way., As Mayor Green said, I am Commander Alenko. In fact, my full name is Kaidan Alenko, and unless you piss me off or you’re working under me in some way, I would prefer you to call me Kaidan. I ask this as until further notice, we’ll be spending a lot of time together, so I would like us all to get along with each other. Now those behind me, they’ll be key people that you’ll be seeing a lot of. They are Anna May, Roy Benitez, Doctor Jessica Kandel, Faye Lau and Faye’s sister, Heather.” With each name he called, the individuals stood up for a few moments before sitting back down as the next person stood up.

“But who are you lot?” called out one of the townspeople.

“You might have heard rumours about Spectres being in your town, but let me confirm it for you. Other than Doctor Jessica Kandel and Heather Lau, the rest of us are Spectres.” Alenko informed them all. “So you should all think about not pissing us off with the communist’s remarks. Most of us have been trained to deal with what you lot can only dream of in nightmares. Whilst we wouldn’t normally hurt civilians: that doesn’t mean that we won’t.”

Here many mumbled in fear, worried about what could happen to them. “Now I don’t say this to make you afraid us. I say this so that you know we aren’t people to be pushed around.” the Commander informed them all. “As Spectres, colour, race, they mean nothing to us. We all fight on the same side, fighting to protect people from those who mean you harm. So disrespecting one of us because they are a so-called communist, or a child of one, will not go well with us. We protect each other no matter who might mean us harm. So be careful what you say around us. You might not like us and that’s your prerogative, but all we ask for is your respect, especially seeing that we’ll all be here for many years to come.”

“Why are you here in the first place?” a man demanded. Kaidan saw it was the same man as the night before, Gray Anderson. The mayor had told Kaidan a bit about Anderson the night before, to warn him about what he was like. Anderson was ambitious, arrogant, impulsive and a person who could incite a riot with a few words. Because he wanted the best for the town, he often attempted to undermine everyone else’s authority., Not only did he believe he knew better, he also wanted power and control. There were a few who believed he was not a good leader.

Kaidan knew then that he had to do something so that Gray, or those like him, wouldn’t try and undermine him and the rest of his team. He and the Spectres were there not only to help the town but any other survivors that they might find. So he said, “Now before I tell you this, I believe I have to tell you a bit about me and the kind of person that I am. Until yesterday, I was a normal Spectre who worked out in the field to protect this country from the shadows. But for one reason or another, I was named Commander of the Spectres.”

There were many mumbles here, and Gray asked, “So you have no experience in commanding? Why would we have to even listen to you? I bet I can do a better job than you.”

“You might just be able to, but you’re not a Spectre and you won’t even be nominated to be the next Commander.” the Technomage told him darkly. He did not like the man for trying to undermine him. “So you know, before the last Commander was killed, I was told he was going to train me to take over his place should the worst happen. And seeing that most of the higher-ups who qualified to take his place are either missing or dead, I took his place as Commander. So I’ll be learning on the job, and until then, I’ll act as if I am out in the field on a mission.”

“Meaning?” asked someone.

“Brief and to the point.” Kaidan told them simply, “Normally I’m calm and easy going. You can come up to me, have a drink, have fun, conversation or ask for help. On a mission I’m a different person. Whilst I’m on a mission, should you try to undermine me, piss me off, tell me how to do my job or don’t follow my orders, unless you have a good damn reason for doing so, I’ll make your life a living hell or treat you hostilely to get my way. One of your own store keepers, someone named Gracie Leigh, incurred my wrath when she didn’t agree to give her stock to my men to be sorted.”

“What did you do to her?” asked someone else.

“I threatened her that if she didn’t do what the other stores are doing, she wouldn’t be getting my help and would have to look out for herself.” Kaidan informed them. “But the thing is, as long as you help and don’t piss me off, I can be a great guy to know, and someone you would want on your side should something go wrong.” Then in a more friendly tone of voice he added, “Now to Gray’s question. Why am I and the Spectres here? To set up a shelter for you and any other survivors we might be able to find in the next few days.”

“What do you mean a shelter?” someone asked with fear and respect. “We have a town that we can live in. Or do you mean to make this town into a shelter for those outside of it.”

“Whilst I’m having L’Cies with Earth powers creating walls around the town, that’s only for basic protection until I have sorted out the real shelter. Living in town will be too dangerous.” the Commander informed the townspeople, which started to make them whisper and wonder what he was talking about.

Because of the confusion, one of the townspeople asked, “What do you mean that making the town into a shelter is unsafe? And if that’s the case, where is this shelter going to be?”

“First off, the reason that it’s unsafe to make the town into a shelter is because of the fallout following the bombing.” Kaidan explained to the people. “Because of the thousands of nukes that went off today, there’ll be a few consequences, some known and some unknown. The first consequence of the bombings should happen in the next few days in the form of radioactive rain. You see, with all of the radiation out there, it’ll evaporate in the earth’s atmosphere and over the next few days it’ll begin to rain for who knows how long. Anyone caught in it will die a slow and painful death, so it’ll be best to get into a shelter where you’ll be freely able to walk around and not be stuck in your homes for days.”

“Where would such a shelter be?” asked Gray in an unfriendly manner. It was clear he didn’t like Kaidan one bit. “We don’t have a big shelter like that and even if you’re thinking of creating one, it would take longer than a few days to do so given how many people you’re wanting it to accommodate.” This got people mumbling in agreement. Sure they wanted somewhere safe to be and not be stuck indoors when the rain came, but as Gray said, it would take a long time to build.

“That is why we Spectres came to this town,” explained Kaidan. “I learned yesterday that there is an underground facility here in this town. So we came here to see if it’s safe to make into our shelter. If it isn’t, then we will make it safe.”

“Oh I think I know the one you’re talking about.” this came from Mayor Green.

“Oh, and how do you know about this?” asked the Commander, wondering how the mayor might know about this when they knew little. Even the townspeople seemed to whisper about this, wondering what their mayor knew.

“It was over twenty years ago, back when my father was the mayor of the town and I was working in the fire department.” explained Johnston. “One day a black haired man calling himself Harry Potter came running up saying he escaped some underground facility. He told us where to look for it. Before anyone could do anything, a group of people in white coats came along and took him away. They gave some story that they were transporting him to another asylum, a high-security asylum for the insane. They said he believed that there were people after him and trying to kill him, and he was often violent to get away from these imaginary people. It had gotten so bad that they were forced to take him somewhere safe, somewhere he couldn’t hurt himself or others.”

The new Commander thought this was interesting, but the thing was why no one within the Spectres had heard of this before. The Council and the old Commander knew that Patient Zero had been here and that the facility was here, but yet it seemed that they did little to get more information about it all. Or did they? Kaidan realized he would have to ask Alice about this later on.

As for the people of the town, apart for the odd few, were shocked to hear this. This was all news to them, and again they began whispering amongst themselves. Gray seemed to have a thoughtful look, one that Kaidan knew all too well. It was a look where the person was thinking about how to use the information for his own benefit.

Either way, he would be interested to learn more, so Kaidan asked, “So what happened then? I don’t think you would know about this if you didn’t do something.”

“You’re right, we did something,” admitted the mayor. “Now whilst most of this village believed the story that the men gave, my father and I didn’t. It didn’t feel right, so he had me and a small handful of people check to see if this facility was real or not. To our surprise it was. We looked around the first floor of the facility but found that we couldn’t get any further, as the entrances were blocked or locked. So we looked around the first floor. Whilst it was only one floor, we were there for a few days searching the place.”

“What did you find?” this came from Faye.

“Not as much as we would have liked to be honest,” Johnston told everyone. “We found many dead bodies sadly. Any information that there was seemed to have been destroyed. Any paperwork that we were able to find we couldn’t understand fully as either it was partly destroyed or pages were missing. And any computers or equipment that might have been able to give us any information were broken beyond repair. So my father decided that we should give the dead a proper burial and block the entrances so no one else could find them.

“Not only that, it was decided that we would not tell anyone else what we found, as there was nothing that they could have done anyway. If people knew about it, they would try and look further into the place and could find something that could not only harm them but the rest of the town too. So until we could find a way to fix either the computers or the equipment within the facility we didn’t tell anyone. Over time we were unable to find the tech to fix what we found and those who knew about the place just forgot about it. I only remembered about it thanks to you reminding me.”

Here many whispered about what they had now learned, but Kaidan had to get things back on track. He told them “either way, we’re here to make this facility into a shelter and home for everyone we can help. For this reason, we’ll need your help when the time comes to clean the place up and make it as homely as possible. These people behind me will be helping to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible. If you need anything, or if there are any problems that arise, you go to Heather Lau.”

“But she’s only a teenage comm - Chinese woman, why would you trust someone like that?” someone called out, changing communist to Chinese with the dark look the Commander was giving them.

“She might be a communist as you would call her and a teenager, but right now she’s one of the few people that I trust,” the Commander informed everyone who didn’t know this yet, “Because of this, I made her my assistant, she’ll be the one you come to if you need anything, even getting me if you really need me. Now her sister will be the one who’ll go out of town and get anything we might need. I really don’t want people going out there unless necessary. Benitez will be heading up security. He’ll be making sure you’re all safe. Lastly Doctor Kandel will be heading up the medical side of things. So you know, each of them has my trust, and if I hear any of you mistreating them or giving them problems, you’ll be answering to me.”

Just then it was as if someone walked over everyone’s grave, as the townspeople felt a chill running down their spines. The people in the town were like any other small town people, everyone knows everyone else, there was no real crime, and no real threat. More importantly, there was no one like Kaidan who could destroy them with ease if you pissed him off. So they quickly realized that they had to be careful about what they said and did around him, and make sure they didn’t hurt those he trusted or were under his care. Sure they had problems with communists, how could they not, ; their country had been at war with them for years so sure they had problems. They didn’t know if there were spies or sleeper agents just waiting for orders to act, they just didn’t know who to trust.

They could see that Heather and her sister were Chinese-American. They had the mark on their foreheads that meant that one of their parents was an American and they had acknowledged them as their child. Despite that, many thought that it didn’t mean they could be trusted. For all they knew the communists could have made them into sleeper agents at a young age, using their freedom to get into places they couldn’t normally get to and when the time was right, have them turn on America.

“I know you have many questions, but sadly right now I haven’t got the time to answer them and even if I did have the time, I most likely don’t have the answers that you want,” Kaidan told them all. “As I told you, I have just been made the Commander, and as I said, I’ve been in the field. So I’m finding my feet and learning on the job. It’ll take time before I can answer any questions you might have. For now, though, I’m dealing with the facility and making it homely. So I want everyone who is able to help, as there’ll be no free rides here. You don’t help, you don’t get in.”

Here there were many outcries about this, many shouting out that he had no right to do this. But Kaidan called out to them all to be silent. He told them, “Listen, you might not like it, but I don’t care. I don’t know how much space we’ll have in the facility, and we’re hoping to bring as many survivors as we can here. If we don’t have much space I’ll have to make room for them. So to make room if we need it, I’ll be kicking out those who don’t help out or don’t pull their weight. I don’t like it, but I’ll do what I must. To make sure we have a future I’ll need those who can pull their weight and help out, I don’t want those who just want to lay back and do nothing. Understand this, the future is bleak, and I’ll do what I must so that we survive what’s to come.”

“How dare you say who can and cannot enter this shelter of yours?” Gray asked the Spectre Commander darkly, “This is our town that that facility is built under; we have more say about this than those from outside of this town.” Many agreed with the man, believing that they had more right to be in this facility than anyone else.

“Says who? Did you pay for or build the place?” the Commander asked simply. When no one answered yes to this, he went on to say, “Exactly. You have no right, but I’m trying to use the place to help as many survivors as we can. So that when things settle down, we can try and rebuild things as best as we can. You may not want to hear this, but our country went from a population of around four hundred million to less than two hundred million, and over the next few months that number will drastically drop. We will be lucky if by the end, when things are sorted out, our country’s population is between a million to ten million. Because of this, I’m trying to gather up everyone that I can to save them. But I want those who are willing to work, as those who aren’t will more than likely hinder our future.”

The townspeople paled at the thought of these numbers. None of them realized that it could become that bad in the coming months. They believed that in a few months or so, things would slowly get better and they would go on with their everyday lives as if nothing had happened. But now they realized that that wasn’t the case.

As people mumbled in fear about this, Kaidan went on to say, “Now onto things that’ll help us. I want to know if there are any farmers here?”

Here a man with short reddish brown hair stood up. Kaidan asked, “And you are?”

“Stanley Richmond,” Stanley informed the Commander, “I am one of two farmers in this town.”

“And where is the other one?” asked Kaidan.

“He went into the city a few days ago to see his bank manager as he had a few problems with payments on his farm.” explained Stanley.

“I see.” Kaidan said simply. There was no need to say more about that. More than likely the other man died during the bombing. “So what did you two grow?”

“I grow corn and wild mushrooms, whilst Tim grows carrots.” Stanley informed Kaidan.

“In that case I want you and anyone you can get to help you to harvest everything that you can.” Kaidan told the farmer.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.