Pēteris - Cover

Pēteris

Copyright© 2017 by Omachuck

Chapter 11: The Farm

With the three newly acquired horses, the entire party could ride. Even Sarah, who had been forced by Rooster to run-walk to town the previous day, could have her own horse. Both Rosie and Alvin were new to horses, so the pace was to be slower than normal.

The usual hour-long ride to the trio’s newly acquired property was longer and interesting. Sarah insisted, perhaps legitimately, that she was too sore to ride astride and convinced Pēteris that she should ride sidesaddle in his arms. The extra horse was led behind him.

Amused at the obvious hero worship, his Companions smirked at each other and silently agreed that intense teasing was due him at a later time.

The ride along the narrow forest trail was cool and uneventful. The slower pace and just enough width for two gave the adventurers a chance to talk with and gain some knowledge of their new charges.

Rosie, a native of the next town over, had been recently widowed because of a farming accident. Her brother-in-law and his wife resented her, and fearing that her son might grow to challenge them for her deceased husband’s farm, they did their best to drive her away. Rosie declared no desire to return and stated that she had nothing she wanted or needed to retrieve from her former home.

Alvin told of his former pets and his friends left behind. He, too, had a severe case of hero worship and seemed perfectly willing to abandon his former life to be with his new friend.

Sarah was content to ride quietly listening in Pēteris’ arms, snuggled close to his chest. Only when he urged her several times did her story begin to emerge. Her mother had become an indentured servant to Rooster’s mother after her husband was killed under suspicious circumstances. Sarah’s life had not been too bad until she was ten and both her own and Rooster’s mother died of a sickness within a month of each other.

With the loss of their mother’s limiting influence, the three brothers’ brutish nature emerged in short order. Calling it an indenture, they enslaved Sarah and subsequently their sister Cherry. Rapes and beatings followed, and the brothers abandoned all but a pretense of farming to begin the robbing and murder of travelers and even residents several towns away.

Pēteris turned to Rosie, who was riding beside him, “We’ll need to help you two find good husbands.”

Sarah began to wail. “I don’t want a good husband,” She cried illogically, “I want you!”

The two sisters nodded knowingly, Maggie frowned, and Miriam muttered, “Told you so.”

As they neared the farm, the terrain began a gentle slope, and they left the forest to see a large two-story house and outbuildings just below the crest of a cleared hill. A wall, just under man-height, surrounded the largest complex, and enough trees remained near the house to provide some summer shade and a winter windbreak. Most of the surrounding fields were overgrown and sprouting small trees. In a few more years, clearing them would be a real headache.

They rode quietly through the main gate to the front of the house, and Pēteris gently let Sarah slide to the ground. The excited young woman ran to the door, and throwing it open, she called, “Cherry, I’m home. Wait until you see. Everything is wonderful.”

Pēteris had dismounted, and he came up behind her. She seized his hand and dragged him to and up the wide stairs. This had been a wealthy household at one time. Subsequent events showed that it was still wealthy - just neglected.

In a room at the end of a long hall, the pair found a naked, chocolate-haired woman secured to a bed by a thick leather thong tied to her wrist. She had clearly been trying to work it loose, as a section was frayed but still strong. A used chamber pot stood on the floor by the bed, but there was no evidence of food or water.

Sarah ran to hug her friend and, weeping, told her in a rush, “The bastards are dead. We are safe. This is Pēteris.”

Pēteris drew his knife, and when the abused woman shied away, he assured her, “I’m just going to cut you loose. No harm will come to you.”

As he sawed through the leather thong, Miriam and Robyn entered the room, followed closely by a boisterous Alvin and his mother. More than any other factor, the presence of the young boy added credibility to Pēteris’ statements. Cherry, beginning to believe, clung to her friend and began to weep.

“Okay, everybody but Sarah out!” Robyn commanded. “This girl needs privacy, drink, a bath, food, and a checkup in that order. Make yourselves useful.”

“Why is she called ‘Sarah, ‘“ asked the puzzled Cherry, and Sarah explained.

The dismissed parties paraded downstairs to the kitchen, where Maggie started a fire, and Miriam filled a pitcher with watered wine and left to take it to Cherry. It would be some time before water heated enough for a bath, so Rosie prepared a light meal with an assortment of fruit and breads. She too, left to carry her efforts to the recently freed young woman. Returning, she said, “Sarah says that there is a large tub in the pantry that she and Cherry use to bathe. When it is ready, they will bring Cherry down to the kitchen. Robyn said that you men are to be gone before she arrives!” She blushed at delivering such adamant instructions.

Then she added, “While Cherry eats, Sarah is telling her about the recent happenings. She also asks that we check on the livestock. The chickens and the other horses need to be fed, and the two cows should be milked. I can handle the milking, and Alvin, if he is careful of his hand, can feed the chickens and collect any eggs. That’s his usual chore. Pēteris, maybe you and Les can feed the horses? I would think they also need to be let out into the paddock.”

After feeding and releasing the local horses, Pēteris unsaddled those they had ridden while Les handled the packhorses. They released them all into the paddock with the others. Three were immediately at home, and shortly, the other horses were enjoying the company of new friends.

It was quite clear the males would not be welcome in the house until Cherry was ‘presentable, ‘ so Pēteris called to Alvin, “Hey Friend, when you are done with the chickens and eggs, let’s take some time to explore.” Then he added, “No need to rush, I’m sure it will be a while. Oh, and leave the eggs on the porch. If Cherry is bathing in the kitchen, none of us will be welcome on any excuse.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.