Life on Another Planet - Cover

Life on Another Planet

Copyright© 2017 by Coaster2

Chapter 10: A First Date and More

Monday, September 5, 2011

“So you played baseball in high school,” Kirsten said as they sat on the sun drenched third base side bleachers.

“I’ve been playing baseball since I was Mica’s age,” Jesse said with a smile. “Little League, then Babe Ruth League, then high school. I’ve been lucky. I got to play a lot early on and I never had to sit on the bench and watch other guys play.”

Kirsten nodded. “I am thinking that I might have to sit on the bench and watch others play in my place this year.”

Jesse couldn’t help but notice the note of resignation in her voice.

“Do you think you should be playing regularly?” he asked.

“Yes, but I am first year, so I cannot expect that. I just want a fair opportunity. I am not a scholarship student, therefore I do not come with a reputation. Perhaps they will take pity on me and let me play a few shifts.”

“Don’t get down on yourself, Kirsten,” Jesse said. “If you think you’re good enough, then you have to make sure the coaches know you are good enough. You have to make them notice you whenever you can.”

“I do not know how to do that, Jesse. All I can do is do what the coaches say and practice hard each time I get the chance. I hope that will be enough.”

“Maybe a couple of good hard body checks would say something,” he grinned.

“We are not allowed to body check. Some players are sneaky and find ways to do it, but according to the rules in women’s hockey, there is no body checking.”

Jesse laughed. “Then I guess you’ll just have to get sneaky now and then.”

“I can think of two girls I would like to body check,” she said with a scowl.

“Oh ... oh ho! Well, the next time you get the chance, take a shot. You can always say you’re sorry,” he grinned.

Kirsten laughed and elbowed Jesse in the ribs. “You would do that?”

“Sure. You don’t have to kill them, just let them know you’re on the ice and they were getting in the way. Who are these two girls, anyway?”

“They are from Quebec. They are very good skaters and one of them is a good scorer. But they are not very nice to the other players. They say nasty things in French when they think no one will understand.”

Jesse looked at her and then grinned. “But you understand, don’t you?”

She nodded. “It is different French than I know, but I understand most of it.”

“How many languages do you speak?” he asked.

“English, French, Swedish ... and I can often make myself understood in Norway, and Denmark.”

“Wow. That’s really something. I wish I had been better at French in high school. I just scraped through. I envy you,” he said.

Kirsten beamed at his compliment. She could easily tell it was sincere, and that just confirmed her opinion of Jesse Peterson.

The ballgame began and Jesse was happy to explain some of the nuances of the game as they occurred. He talked about strategy and how the infield and outfield were positioned according to the strengths of each batter. It was short-season single ‘A’ ball, but there were a lot of talented young players on each team and they were all trying to make it to the major leagues. Jesse smiled as Kirsten obviously was enjoying the game and appreciated his insight.

“Is your sunscreen still okay?” he asked as the game progressed. They were sitting exposed to the sun and it was strong that afternoon.

“Yes, I made sure it is 50 and I brought some extra with me. I burn easily if I am not careful.”

She was wearing a yellow short-sleeved blouse and tan knee-length cargo shorts with stockings almost up to her knees. Her arms and head were the most exposed parts of her body. She had turned the collar up on her blouse to protect the back of her neck. Jesse was confident she was taking all the necessary precautions. He was also unabashedly admiring her as they sat beside each other, and he wasn’t the only one. Several of the men in the vicinity had taken a good look at the beautiful blonde. Jesse could almost feel their envy.

He was hoping this would be the beginning of something more than friendship. That she was beautiful was one thing, but she was also much more. Graceful, kind, thoughtful, and yet ... troubled. He wondered how he could find out what was behind her reaction to the aggressive young drunks in the Whistler town square that today. He had a hunch what it might be, but he was not willing to risk their budding relationship by pressing her on the subject. He would just have to wait and be patient, hoping that she would reveal what caused her to be so nervous.

Kirsten was relaxed and enjoying herself. The ballgame was interesting, and Jesse’s informed comments helped her understand the game better. She was watching him as much as he was watching her. She was sure he had questions about her ... mostly about her reaction to the three men in Whistler. She recognized he was being very cautious around her. She wasn’t ready to talk to anyone about it ... anyone outside of Eve or her parents. She knew, however, that there would come a time when she would have to reveal what had happened to her and why she was so reticent around men.

Jesse was an exception. He was kind, polite, and handsome ... all the attributes of the ideal boyfriend. If she could judge by his reaction to the situation in Whistler with the drunks, he had courage as well. Could she risk allowing herself to become attracted to someone? It would be easier with Jesse. She could tell he was attracted to her. Still, it took confidence on her part even though she felt safe with Jesse.

As Jesse drove them back to the apartment building, he took a chance.

“I’m glad you enjoyed yourself this afternoon, Kirsten. I’d be very pleased if you’d like to go on another date with me.”

“Yes,” she answered without hesitation. “We can talk about what we can do later on. I was going to ask you if you would like to come to one of my hockey practices, but they are very early in the morning right now. Soon, they will be at a more sensible hour.”

“I really would like to attend a practice and a game,” he said quickly. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen a women’s hockey game. That would be interesting.”

“We will wait until they change the practice schedule. I think a proper game would be more interesting to you than our practices.”

“Yes ... I suppose, but I would like to see you play ... even if it is just a practice.”

She laughed. “Okay. We will talk about this later when I have started classes.”

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 9am

“Coach wants to see you in her office,” the trainer informed Kirsten after their usual morning practice.

Kirsten had a feeling of impending doom as she nodded her acknowledgement of the summons. She walked slowly to the office and knocked on the glass. The coach was not alone and there was a man sitting in a chair with his back to her. A wave from the coach signalled Kirsten to enter.

“You wanted to see me, Coach?” she said as she entered.

“Yes, Kirsten, I’d like you to meet Mr. Frank Millhouse,” Harriet Hillman said with a smile.

Kirsten turned toward the man as he stood and her jaw dropped and a look of total surprise and shock overcame her. The man was smiling at her, but she stood frozen in front of him, not taking his offered hand. At length, she began to breathe and carefully held out her hand. The man was the same one who had been coming to her practices and watching her. She was sure he was the same one. Finally, she found her voice.

“Uhhm ... it is nice to meet you, Sir,” she managed with an unsteady gasp.

“Very nice to meet you too, Kirsten,” he smiled. “Please sit.”

She did, carefully, her eyes fixed on this man who she had worried about for some time. Who was he and what did he want?”

“Mr. Millhouse is the local scout for the women’s national team, Kirsten. He’s been watching our practices to see if there are any potential candidates to join the national team. I’ll let him tell you about it,” Harriet Hillman said with a big smile.

Kirsten willed herself to relax. This was not what she expected. Why would he want to talk to me, she wondered?

“Kirsten, I’ve been watching your progress with the team and I’ve been very impressed with you. You work hard, you are obviously very fit, your passes are quick and accurate, and your shot appears to be hard and heavy. You’ve had a good teacher in your father I imagine. You play your position very well for someone who hasn’t had a lot of experience. We will be watching your progress this year as you play for UBC. I just wanted you to know that all your hard work has been noticed by Coach Hillman and me.”

“Oh ... uhhm ... does that mean I have made the team,” she said hesitantly, turning to her coach.

“Yes, Kirsten, you have made the team,” she smiled warmly. “I agree with Mr. Millhouse’s assessment, and you will be on a regular shift to begin the season. I hope you can earn the right to stay there and become one of our best players.”

Kirsten was stunned. Considering she had almost quit the team in frustration, she was now being told she was not only on the team, but would be starting on defence. It was almost too much to absorb.

“Thank you. I had no idea that you thought I was good enough,” she finally managed.

“I know,” Harriet said with a smile. “I could tell you didn’t have any expectations of getting a spot, but you worked hard, you were at every practice, you listened to the coaches, and you learned. You’ve earned the opportunity. The rest is up to you.”

“Thank you,” she repeated. “I will try not to disappoint you.”

“That’s all we can ask,” the coach said.

“You looked shocked when you met me,” Frank Millhouse said. “What was that about? Am I that ugly?” he chuckled.

“No! No! I apologize. I thought you were someone else. I did not know you were a scout,” she finally said, relieved.

“Get used to it. I’ll likely be at most of your games. I cover B.C. and Alberta, so I’m at almost all the CIAU games. Good luck, Kirsten. I wish you well. Listen to Coach Hillman and I’m sure you’ll do well. I wouldn’t be surprised if you got an invitation to the national team development camp someday soon.”

Kirsten was almost dizzy with what she had just heard. Not only was she on the UBC team, she was being watched to see if she might be on the national team. How little she realized just what she had accomplished.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.