Life on Another Planet
Chapter 8: The Book Store

Copyright© 2017 by Coaster2

Saturday, August 13, 2011, 10am

“Grant, I’d like you to meet Jesse Peterson,” Mrs. Coultard said with a smile. “He’s a neighbour of mine and he’s looking for a part-time job. You told me you were looking for someone to work part time, so here he is.”

“Well, nice to meet you, Jesse. I’m Grant Norwood. Why don’t we go into my office and we can talk,” he said with a friendly smile.

“Thanks,” Jesse said, surprised at how easily the man accepted that he might be a candidate for a job.

“Sue,” he called to the back of the store, “can you keep an eye on the front for me please. I’ll be in my office for a few minutes.”

“Okay,” confirmed a young female voice from a hidden area in the rear.

Grant ushered Jesse into his little office and closed the door behind them.

“Ellen is getting a little too quick for me these days. My last student employee just got transferred to another school and had to leave. I was counting on him being here, so I haven’t even had a chance to post for the job.”

“So ... you know Mrs. Coultard well,” Jesse said.

“Yes ... very well. She’s a loyal customer and is always finding me new customers. In this case, she may have found me an employee. Tell me about yourself, Jesse.”

“Uhhm ... well ... I just got out of hospital in mid-July after I was ill. I’m not able to qualify for university yet, so I need a job in the meantime while I catch up on the entrance requirements.”

“Ellen ... Mrs. Coultard mentioned that you were a neighbour.”

“Yes, I live next door to her with Doctor Mikeska. I helped her with some shopping bags and we got to talking. She said you might need a part time employee and I know I’d really like working in a book store, so she volunteered to bring me here today.”

Norwood laughed. “She doesn’t waste any time, does she? One conversation and you’re down here applying for a job. What are your qualifications? What experience do you have?”

“Well, I worked in a grocery store for three years, and before that I had a paper route. I read a lot and spent a lot of time in my local library. My English teachers said I had some talent to be a writer, so I guess that encouraged me to try.”

“How old are you?”

“I’ll be nineteen in December, Sir.”

“Okay ... and your ambition is to go to college, I take it.”

“Yes ... as soon as I can qualify. When I was ill, I had some memory loss, so I’m not ready yet. Eve ... I mean ... Doctor Mikeska ... is going to help me get caught up. I’ll do some of it on the computer, and the rest with her help.”

“Where are your parents?” Grant asked.

“Well ... they’re dead.”

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. Okay, I do need someone and you seem like you want the job and have the interest to do it well. You’ve had a job before, so you know what an employer expects. This job will be Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, from one pm until six, when we close. It pays ten dollars an hour, less deductions for tax, etc. Will that be satisfactory?”

“Yes, Sir,” Jess said enthusiastically. “Does that mean I have the job?”

Grant laughed again. “Yes, I’ll give you a try. If Mrs. Coultard says I should, then I’ll take her word for it.”

“Thanks, Sir, thanks a lot.” The excitement of getting the job was evident in Jesse’s voice and posture.

“Why don’t you come at noon on Monday and we can fill out the forms and get you started.”

“I’ll be here,” Jesse grinned. He was genuinely pumped at getting a job this quickly. It made a big difference in his attitude.

Grant ushered him out of the office and Jesse went directly to Ellen Coultard.

“I got the job, Mrs. Coultard. Thanks a lot for telling me about this place. I’m really happy. I’ve got a job.”

Ellen Coultard chuckled at Jesse’s enthusiasm. It was her reward for recommending him to Grant. If he was that excited about a job, he’d be a good employee and that’s all she could hope for. Grant was a friend and she’d be disappointed if Jesse let her and Grant down. She had a hunch that wouldn’t happen. She signalled Grant and he picked up the phone to call the taxi.


“I got a job, Eve. I got a job,” he exclaimed as he came into the apartment later that morning.

“Good for you, Jesse. Is it at the bookstore?”

“Yes. Mrs. Coultard made it possible, so I owe her. I’ll have to find a way to thank her for her help.”

“I’m sure she’d appreciate that. Tell me about the job.”

“I won’t know all the details until Monday. That’s when I start. Monday, Wednesday and Friday, one to six. Ten dollars an hour pay, too. Pretty good, huh!”

“I’m glad you’re happy. A book store will be a good place to work for a guy who wants to be a writer.”

“Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I just have to make sure I do a good job for him ... Mr. Norwood. He’s a nice guy, but Mrs. Coultard set it up for me. Anyway, I’m really glad I’ve got a job. I won’t feel so useless now.”

“I don’t think you should ever feel useless, Jesse. You’ve got a lot more going for you now that you did just a couple of weeks ago. Next thing is to get your driver’s license. Let me know when you want to take the test and I’ll come with you.”

“Yes. That will be a big help. Now I can start saving for a car, too.”

“Maybe I can help with that. Let’s get you qualified to drive first. Then we’ll deal with getting you some wheels,” she said.

“Yeah,” he nodded, “First things first.”

Eve had an idea that would provide Jesse with transportation when he got his license. There was an aging Toyota Land Cruiser sitting idle in the Whistler garage. No one was using it except when her parents were in town; usually at Christmas. At this time of the year, it just sat idle, gathering dust. She was sure her father wouldn’t mind if Jesse used it during the time that no one was staying at the lodge. A phone call would confirm that.

It was good to see Jesse excited about something. She could tell he was getting depressed without something to keep him occupied. As much as he loved baseball, that was just a pastime for a couple of hours each week, weather permitting. The job would give him three days of work, and that would help with his attitude. Now it was time to work on a curriculum to help him catch up and qualify for university.

Monday, August 15, 2011 11:45am

“Hi, It’s me, Jesse,” he called as he entered the book store. There was no one visible so he thought it wise to announce his arrival.

“Be right there, Jesse,” he heard coming from the office.

A few seconds later, Grant Norwood appeared, wiping his mouth with a paper napkin. “Just grabbing a bite to eat,” he explained. “You’re early.”

“Thought I’d get a head start,” the boy explained. “You don’t have to pay me until one.”

“Oh, that’s a relief,” Grant said with a grin. “That could blow the staff budget all to heck.”

Jesse realized he was kidding and returned the grin with one of his own. He was still energized with having the job and was anxious to get started.

“This isn’t a complicated job, Jesse. I’ll show you how we catalogue and stack the books. Then I’ll give you a quick course on the computer and cash register. It’s all pretty straightforward.”

“Okay. I can start anytime you’re ready.”

Grant smiled at the enthusiasm his new employee was exhibiting. It was nice to see someone who really appreciated having a job.

By closing time at six, Jesse and Grant were both satisfied that the young man knew what was expected of him and understood the working of both the cash register and the computer program that was used to place and trace orders. Grant had a website that allowed customers to order and pay online, something that Jesse was only barely aware of, although he’d seen something similar at Number 5 Sports on his first visit there.

“You didn’t seem to have any problem catching on to what’s required, Jesse,” Grant noted as they locked up the store.

“No, it wasn’t as complicated as I thought it might be. I think I’m really going to like working here, Grant. You’ve got so many interesting books on so many subjects. What should I do when my usual tasks are all done?”

“Well, Sue Chen, my other part-timer, studies. She’s a student at UBC and wants to be a marine biologist or scientist. She’s heading off to Victoria to do her Master’s program next year. The little desk in the back where we store the cartons and incoming used books is where she spends her time if there’s nothing going on. She normally works Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, but if she wants some quiet time to study, she often comes in here and sets up in the back. She’s pretty dedicated to her education.”

“Yeah, it sounds like it. Well, I’ll see you Wednesday, Grant. Thanks again for giving me the job,” Jesse said, extending his hand.

“You’re welcome, Jesse. Good to have you here.”

Grant watched as Jesse unlocked his bike and rode off toward home. He was satisfied that Mrs. Coultard had been right. He was a nice young guy who would try to do a good job for him. He was polite and learned quickly. More importantly, and unlike too many of the boy’s contemporaries, he really wanted the job and was interested in the business. That was a bonus. Earning some money seemed to be important to him, but not the only thing on his mind. He’d have to remember to thank Ellen Coultard for steering Jesse his way.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.