Life on Another Planet - Cover

Life on Another Planet

Copyright© 2017 by Coaster2

Chapter 7: Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:45pm

Take Me Out to the Ballgame

Eve had insisted that she drive Jesse and the two boys to the game at Kitsilano Park. She was delighted that Jesse had found something that would give him some enjoyment and a chance to meet new people. She recognized all the signs of anticipation in the young man. He was as keyed up as a kid at Christmas. This was much more important to Jesse than he was letting on.

“Jeeze, you brought a whole rooting section with you,” Chunky said as the foursome approached.

“I need all the support I can get,” Jesse grinned. “The boys want to play Little League next year, so I couldn’t keep them away. Eve volunteered to drive us here.”

“Hi, Eve,” Chunky smiled in familiar greeting. “You psychoanalysed this guy yet?” he kidded.

“Of course. Would you like to be next?” she laughed.

“No thanks. I’ve got too many secrets,” Chunky laughed in return.

The boys and Eve found seats in the meagre stands and watched as the team warmed up. Jesse was playing shortstop again, although his more familiar spot would have been second base. It really didn’t matter to him. He was playing his favourite game and that was enough.

It was the sixth inning and The Luckies were at bat. The Blue’s pitcher was obviously tiring and Jesse thought Chunky must have been thinking about taking him out for a relief pitcher, but saw no one warming up. In the meantime, a great big hulk of a guy slammed a ball into right field for a long single. He seemed a lot more fleet of foot, so Jesse moved to cover second base.

As events unfolded, the next batter hit a fly ball deep into left centerfield and Jesse moved to take a relay, intending to hold the batter to a double at best. He’d moved out to the edge of the infield, planning to take the outfielders throw and relay it to the second baseman to either tag the batter or hold him there. What Jesse didn’t count on was the over-eager hulk on first base rounding deep into the infield and heading for third base on the hit. As Jesse waited to receive the ball, he was hit full-on by the big man and knocked flying.

Jesse was groggy and his nose was bleeding from the impact. The runner had stumbled after the impact and been tagged by the third baseman for the out. At that point, the umpire called time out and they began to attend to Jesse.

“Are you okay, Jesse?” third baseman Doug Gallagher asked.

“I don’t know. Man, that guy hits like an elephant. Is my nose broken?”

“I don’t think so,” a woman’s voice answered.

Jesse’s vision was blurred, but what he could see was a very large-breasted woman leaning over him and attending to his nose.

“Hold still, Stud. This is going to sting,” she warned.

Jesse did as he was told, but flinched when the woman pinched his nose, checking to make sure it wasn’t broken. It made his eyes water even more and his vision was very blurry. The woman must have recognized that and pulled out a tissue from her kit bag.

“Aside from your nose, how are you feeling?” she asked. “Any headache, nausea, dizziness?

“I don’t think so,” Jesse groaned. “My nose hurts like hell, but I’m okay otherwise, I think.”

“Okay, just take it easy. Can you stand up?”

Jesse struggled to his feet with the woman’s help. He was a bit unstable and leaned against his helper, getting the full impact of her large breasts at that moment.

“Sorry ... just a bit woozy. I’ll be okay,” Jesse said, his face showing his embarrassment at the personal contact.

“Not a problem, Sunshine,” she said with a friendly smile. “Let’s slowly walk over to the stands and you can sit while I make sure that bleeding has stopped. I’m guessing you’re going to be sporting a couple of black eyes soon.

Eve, Mica, and Tony gathered around while the woman, Wanda Castellano, made sure the nose had stopped bleeding.

“Not too bad,” she said. “Not broken, just bloodied. It will be a little sore for a day or so, but otherwise, you’ll be okay.”

“Thank you, Wanda,” Eve said. “I’m glad you were here.”

“I try to be at all the games, Eve. My clinic hours are a lot more forgiving than my former hospital hours.”

“I know what you mean. No one likes twelve hour night shifts. I take it you’re enjoying working at the clinic?”

“Yes ... very much. I feel like I’m contributing more there. I like the staff and I love the hours,” she chuckled.

“I’ve been spoiled,” Eve said. “I haven’t had to work nights for two years now. It won’t be long before I’m finished my residency and on my own.”

“What then?” Wanda asked.

“Good question. Probably set up a private practice. The alternative is to work in a clinic environment like you do. I haven’t decided yet.”

Jesse was listening to the two women chat and Wanda Castellano continued to monitor his nose for bleeding.

“There you are, Jesse. The bleeding has stopped and as long as you don’t bump into something or someone else in the next couple of hours, you’ll be okay. I can’t do anything about the black eyes, however. They’ll show up tomorrow morning.”

“Thanks, Mrs. Castellano. I’m glad you were here, otherwise I’d have to have Chunky deal with me,” he joked weakly.

“I wouldn’t advise that,” she said with a scowl. “He’s only a student, not an intern. He has trouble with band aids. God knows what kind of a doctor he’ll make. By the way, everyone calls me Wanda.”

Jesse was perceptive enough to know that she was kidding him, especially since Chunky was right there beside her. It seemed his aunt didn’t cut him any slack.

“Take it easy, Jesse,” Chunky said. “Doug will take short stop and Willie will take over third. We’re almost finished anyway. We’ve got these guys right where we want them. They’re up four runs and ripe for the pickin’,” he grinned.

“Go get ‘em,” Jesse said with a smile. This was what playing ball with friends was all about, he thought. This was what he needed right now. It was his own inattention that got him into the collision. He’d have to remember to be more alert in future.


“I take it you know Mrs. Castellano from when she worked at the hospital,” Jesse said as they drove home.

“Yes, Wanda was a duty nurse for quite a few years before she got fed up with long hours and union politics. She took a job at one of the new clinics and has been much happier ever since. And ... it’s Miss Castellano. She’s never married.”

“Oh ... thanks for letting me know. It’s sure handy to have her around when accidents happen.”

“Yes ... it was good luck, although your injury wasn’t too serious. I could have handled it too, but she had the kit. She made sure it wasn’t any more than a bloody nose. I hope it won’t be too painful that you can’t get a proper night’s sleep.”

“I’ve had my nose bloodied before, but I have to admit, this was as hard a hit as I can ever remember,” Jesse admitted.

“Will you have a black eye tomorrow?” Mica asked from the back seat.

“Probably two of them,” Jesse answered. “I’ll look like a panda bear.”

Mica laughed.

“You played good,” Tony chimed in. “You caught all the balls they hit to you and you hit two yourself.”

“I was lucky to get a couple of singles,” Jesse said. “My swing isn’t back in form yet. Next game should be better.”

“Can we go to the next game, Mom?” Mica asked.

“Yes ... it’s on Sunday, so we’ll go. Besides, Jesse needs a ride to the ballpark. He can’t ride the bike all the way there.”

“Yay!” both Mica and Tony chimed in, giving each other a high five.

Sunday, August 7, 2011, Queens Park, 1:40pm

Jesse had quickly gotten to know all the players on the team. It was a mixed bag of young men with a couple of middle-aged ones as well. Several were students just looking for some organized recreation, while others were working men, several using baseball for a night out with the boys until bowling season started. There weren’t any of the group that didn’t get along or looked like misfits. Not all of them were equally skilled, but then, Jesse didn’t expect that. He knew he was probably in the upper half of the skills of the group, but it didn’t really matter. He just wanted to play.

Queens Park was one of the better fields they would use. The facilities were much better than their home field in Kitsilano, and the grounds were well kept, even the baseball outfield. The stands were triple the size of their home park as well. This facility was as good as any he had ever played on. To add to the good mood, it was a warm, sunny day.

Jesse’s eyes had started to turn from black to an ugly yellow and purple and Jesse chuckled when he remembered Kirsten’s reaction to him the morning after the collision when he showed up at his usual time in the exercise room.

“Jesse!” she said with an alarmed look. “What happened to you?”

“I got hit by a dump truck,” he chuckled. “A collision playing baseball last night,” he explained.

“Oh ... I thought baseball was a safe sport,” she said, examining him carefully.

“Usually it is, but I didn’t get out of the way of a runaway bull when I should have and got nailed.”

“Is it broken?” she asked, concern written on her face.

“No ... just a nose bleed and a bad bruise. I was lucky.”

“Oh ... that’s good,” she said with a sigh of relief. “Papa had his nose broken more than one time. You can tell when you look at it.”

“This will be gone in a few days and I’ll be back to normal, but thanks for your concern.”

Jesse was intrigued by the fact that Kirsten was actually worried about him and his injury. That was both a surprise and a delight. He tried not to read too much into it, but maybe ... just maybe.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.