Life on Another Planet - Cover

Life on Another Planet

Copyright© 2017 by Coaster2

Chapter 3: Aftershock

Thursday, July 14, 2011 11:30am

As Jesse entered the apartment, he was confronted by a window wall looking out over the city and the eastern end of False Creek. A shallow balcony featured a pair of deck chairs. He was stunned at the sight before him. It was nothing remotely like the scene he had pictured in his mind. He knew this part of town ... or as it once was. Sawmills, a cooperage, a soot blackened carbon plant, a large cement plant, a dock for gravel and sand. Three sawmill beehive burners once spewed their smoke into the atmosphere, settling on anything and everything nearby. Nothing lived in the tidal waters that flowed in and out of False Creek. Nothing could have lived there in 1961.

The view he saw that morning was of a miraculous transformation; something he could never have imagined. The scene was bright, and clean, and full of new buildings and shops. He could see a hotel in the distance and another in the foreground. There was even a small brewery. The largest building was the shell of Granville Island Market that took up at least an acre of space under its big roof. And people – hundreds of people wandering around, shopping, eating at outdoor restaurants, or just gazing at the sights. Adjacent was a large marina with both yachts and commercial fishing boats. Jesse stood transfixed at the sight before him.

“I don’t suppose you recognize any of that,” Eve said as she joined him at the big window.

Jesse shook his head. “It doesn’t look anything like I remember it. How did this happen?”

“A federal politician from Vancouver got on the bandwagon in the 1970’s and things grew from there. Many of these apartment buildings came about due to the World’s Fair in ‘86. Our building is more recent. People from all over the world bought apartments down here. It is almost right at the city center and you can see for yourself, the views and the surroundings are spectacular. It’s a great place to live.”

He nodded. “I can see that. Me, I like some property and trees and space ... but that’s all I’ve ever known. I like to know and see our neighbours mowing their lawns, washing their cars, just talking to each other. Apartment buildings seem like they don’t let neighbours be friendly. But I guess that’s just how I was brought up. I suppose if I was single and living on my own, an apartment down here would be great.”

“A lot of single people and young married couples live down here now,” she agreed. “Come with me and I’ll show you your room and get you settled. Later, we’ll go shopping again for some more clothes and things. You’re going to need more than what you have now.”

Jesse followed her as she showed him around the spacious apartment. It was larger than he expected, comparing it to the little apartment where his maternal grandparents lived. He was reminded immediately that they were no long alive, much less living in the same place. It sent a chill through him. He had temporarily pushed the reality of his situation back while he was being overwhelmed with this new environment. Now, that isolated lonely feeling was back.

Eve noticed the changes in Jesse’s expression and wondered what had caused the forlorn look she saw. She guessed that a mix of past and present was causing turmoil in the young man, and she knew she was going to have to begin treating him before depression took a firm hold on him. The more she saw of his reactions, the more convinced she was that Jesse Peterson was telling her the truth about himself ... at least the truth as he knew it.

“I’ve made up the bed for you, Jesse. You can put your clothes in the dresser and closet as we add to your wardrobe. You can share the bathroom with Mica. I have my own bathroom in the master suite. I usually leave for the hospital around eight-thirty in the morning, and I’m home about five-thirty. Mica gets a ride to school with his friend, Tony Birani, or takes the school bus. He stays at his friend’s apartment on the sixth floor until I get home. Supposedly, he does some of his homework there, but I have my doubts,” she said with a sigh.

“Okay ... what should I do ... like ... tomorrow?”

“I want you to come with me back to the hospital. I’d like to try some alternate therapy with you. Have you ever been hypnotized?”

“No, never. Why do you want to hypnotize me?” A worried look accompanied the question.

“I want to find out more about you ... particularly repressed information that may hold the secret to what has happened to you. I won’t harm you, but I hope to find out more about what’s going on with you,” she explained.

“You don’t really believe me, do you?” His eyes were fixed on her.

“It isn’t that, Jesse. I don’t understand what has happened to you and I’m hoping that your subconscious mind may help me find out. You must realize that moving fifty years into the future is a unique experience. I know of no record of any such thing occurring. Naturally, I want to know as much as possible about what has caused this event.”

“You’re not going to turn me into a zombie ... or something ... are you?”

Eve laughed. “No ... I promise you ... when you wake up you will still be the same handsome, young Jesse Peterson. I don’t plan to do anything but see if I can find out what you know about the cause of this strange situation. Okay?”

“I guess,” he said sullenly. It didn’t appear to Eve that he was very convinced.

“How about a sandwich and milk ... or a soft drink. I’m sure that breakfast wasn’t very appealing. After that, we’ll go shopping and get you a proper wardrobe. Then we’ll talk about the future. How does ham and cheese on rye bread sound?”

He nodded. “Good ... better than the stuff they give you in the hospital.”

“What do you usually have for lunch?”

He shrugged. “Soup and sandwich, mostly. Milk too.”

“If you don’t mind chicken noodle soup, I have several cans in the pantry. It’s Mica’s favourite.”

“Chicken noodle is fine,” he said with a faint smile.

Jesse devoured the sandwich and the soup, finishing if off with a large glass of milk. Eve was happy to see that he appeared to have good eating habits along with a good appetite ... and no apparent desire for junk food. Too many of today’s kids were overweight and avoided exercise in favour of their PlayStation or tablet. Jesse didn’t exhibit any of those tendencies. But then, he knew nothing about those alternatives. Most likely his good habits were instilled by his parents and the time he lived in. There were probably very few fast food outlets in Vancouver in 1961.

“We’re going to walk uptown to the stores, Jesse. It’s too big a hassle trying to find a place to park in the city, and we can get a cab back here. It’s a nice warm afternoon, so it will give you a chance to see some of the changes in the city in the past fifty years.”

He readily agreed. “Okay, I could use the exercise. I’ve been restricted for days and I would enjoy a walk.”

Eve cleared away the lunch dishes and went to her bedroom to change into more appropriate clothes for their walk. Jesse was exploring his room, wondering what activated the flat TV screen on the desk. He gave up, waiting for some instruction on how the various devices in the apartment worked. There was so little in this world that was familiar. He returned to the living room to gaze out on the city he once knew.

“Ready to go?” Eve asked as she returned, wearing a light top and cotton shorts with simple sneakers on her feet.

“Sure,” he said, eyeing the attractive, dark-haired woman. Eve was a very good looking woman. He wondered briefly if there was a boyfriend. In the meantime, he was genuinely anxious for a close-up look at the city.

“We’ll walk up to The Bay and do most of our shopping there for now,” she announced.

The Bay? You mean Hudson’s Bay?”

“That’s right. They changed the name a few years ago. We always called it The Bay anyway, so it didn’t make any difference to us.

“Is Eaton’s still down at the bottom of the hill?” he asked.

She shook her head. “There is no more Eaton’s ... or Woodward’s. They’re both gone.”

“Who took their place?”

“No one, actually. There are a couple of big discount general merchandise stores... Wal-Mart is the main one. None of them are in the city center. Otherwise, you shop in specialty stores.”

“That’s amazing. Eaton’s was around in the twenties.”

“The retail world has changed in a big way, Jesse. Not all of it for the better, I’d say. Many are called “Big Box” stores that specialize selling one main category; hardware, sporting goods, building materials, electronics, office supplies, and so on. Even supermarkets and drug stores have gone big. Some of them sell clothing and other dry goods. They have enormous buying power, so they can offer much lower prices.”

Jesse just shook his head as he looked around at the buildings as they walked up Beatty St. As they approached the crest, he could see the top of the Sun tower. At least that was still there, although the famous bold sunray sign was gone.

“What’s this huge building here?” he asked as they approached the intersection of Beatty and Georgia St.

“That’s B.C. Place,” she said. “It’s a covered stadium. It’s where the B.C. Lions play. They also hold big trade shows in it. They have the home show, a boat show, a car show ... that sort of thing.”

“There’s another building right next to it. What’s that?”

“That’s the hockey arena. That where the Vancouver Canucks play.”

“Did we finally get an NHL team?”

“Yes ... about forty years ago. One of these years they might win the Stanley Cup,” she chuckled.

“Forty years and no Stanley Cup? Man, that’s pathetic,” he said.

“They came close this year, but so far they haven’t been able to win the cup. I don’t follow the game that much, so I’m no expert. They seem to be winning quite a few games lately, so all is not lost,” she smiled. She chose not to mention the riot after the series. It had brought disgrace and negative attention to the city.

“I’ve never been to a NHL game. I’d love to see one,” he said.

“Well, one of our neighbours is a former player. He’s retired now, but I know he and his wife go to the games regularly. It’s close enough that they can walk to the rink.”

“So ... he lives in your apartment building?”

“Just down the hall from us; 1404. His name is Tomas Gustafson. He’s originally from Sweden. He and his wife and daughter live there. He owns a sporting goods store up on Broadway. It’s called Number 5 Sports. I see them now and then. They are very nice, friendly people.”

“Maybe I’ll get to meet him some day,” Jesse mused.

“You can’t miss their daughter,” Eve grinned. “She is quite an impressive young lady.”

“What does ‘impressive’ mean?” Jesse wondered.

“When you see her, you’ll know,” Eve grinned in reply.

They continued walking, and as they moved toward the city center on Georgia Street, Jesse began to recognize some of the buildings. Eve had been pointing out the modern new library building, the post office, and two of the newer hotels.

The Bay doesn’t look any different,” Jesse noted. “Neither does the Georgia Hotel, or the courthouse.”

“The old courthouse is now the art gallery.”

“Almost everything is new,” he said, gazing around him as they waited for the light to change. “And there are so many huge office towers.”

“A lot can happen in fifty years,” Eve remarked.

“I guess,” Jesse said, still looking around at his surroundings. He marvelled at the size of the many new buildings dwarfing and outnumbering the old established structures.

They proceeded to the department store and ninety minutes later, Eve called a taxi to take them home.

“I can’t believe how much money you spent, Eve. Everything is so expensive now. How can people afford it?”

“Inflation is the reason. As the economy moves forward, costs rise, as do incomes. A shirt that cost five dollars back in your time cost thirty-five dollars or more today. People who made seven or eight thousand dollars a year are now making more than seventy or eighty thousand today. But you’re right to be concerned. Some people are falling behind because their income doesn’t keep up with the cost of things. That’s a serious problem for the poorer members of society.”

“You told me you were very well paid, Eve. Does your job keep up with inflation?”

“Yes. Doctors are a very important part of society, so the province has to make sure we are rewarded properly so that we don’t leave and go elsewhere to make a living. There are a lot of people who fall into the same category, so their employers have to keep up as well.”

“That’s something we never studied in school. They never taught us about day-to-day living. Has that changed?” he asked.

“No ... not really. I read somewhere that half of newly-married couples don’t know how to budget their household expenses or balance a cheque book. No ... they don’t teach that in school, and that’s a great shame. We have a big proportion of our population living at the limits of their credit. That’s a recipe for disaster for many of them. Credit is far too easy to get these days.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.