Sunny Too - Cover

Sunny Too

Copyright© 2017 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 22

“Dave! Abby! Myndee! G’day.”

“Day-ee, Jim.”

Abby said, “So this is the mysterious Jim.” She extended a hand. Jim wasn’t having any of that; she got a fantastic hug.

“Growing up, sheila,” He gave her the once-over, and stopped to look twice at selected places.

She blushed. “A milestone, Dad. First time I’ve been a sheila. Now I know I’m growing up.”

“Watch yer self, Jim,” I said.

“I’d rather watch Abby.”

“Two compliments. I swoon.” She placed one fluttering hand over her heart and flung the other to her forehead. “I do believe I’ll need to sit. Is there a handsome gentleman who will assist me.” That was said in a die away tone.

“She’s good, David,” Jim said.

“You have unleashed talents I never knew,” I replied. “Straighten up Abby ... as my dad used to say ... and fly right.”

Abby said, “Now, That would be interesting. Speaking of flying, Dean Porter...”

“He told me his name was Charles ... you’re saying his name is Dean?”

“Daddy ... don’t be stupid. I don’t have permission to call Doctor Porter Charles. But I can call him Dean because that’s what he does. You have permission to call him Charles ... but not Charley or Chuck ... Charles.”

“You were saying?”

“Dean Porter asked me when you were coming out for a flight.”

“Was I supposed to?”

“I guess. He’s a flight instructor and there’s a fishing notice on the Bulletin Board; Flight interest you? Contact Dean Porter. Licensed Flight Instructor.”

“Fishing? Charles?”

“That’s what we call it ... he’s fishing for students.”

“Like Sunday’s newspaper Ads for the Mitre.” I said, “They’re always running Loss-Leader ads to get people in the store ... and away from Bunning’s.”

“They do that?” Then she said, “What’s a Loss-leader?”

“A price below what they paid for it.”

“Interesting. They don’t teach that in school.”

“They don’t teach how to count back change either.”

“Sure they do, Dad. It’s right there on the register.”

“What happens when the electricity goes out?”

“They close the store. The registers won’t work without it.”

“So ... do you want to take flying lessons?” I asked.

“I’m not old enough. You have to be 15 to solo.”

“Well, can you take lessons before you solo?”

“I don’t know ... Daddy! We’re not talking about ME ... we’re talking about you!”

“I’ll take lessons if you do.”

“I can’t even drive,” she said. “The minimum driving age in NSW is 16 years. The government introduced the Graduated Licensing Scheme in 2000 and therefore learners progress from a learner license, to a provisional P1 license, to a provisional P2 license and finally to a full license over an extended period of time. After obtaining a license, a driver continues to be subject to restrictions during a three-year probationary period.”

“How do you know?” I asked. “They teach that in school,” She said. She thought for a minute, “I could FLY before I could Drive?” “Umh ... Google it?” I said. “Wait! Call the dean.”

“You call.”

So...

“We saw your ad at the university. How old?”

“Thank you. We’ll be in touch.”

“Okay, kiddo ... I’ll take lessons if you do.”

She said. “I’m not passing that up. Time with Daddy? You bet.”

We wen’t to work in the mine. Jim was right there showing us what and where.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.