Sunny Too
Chapter 17

Copyright© 2017 by Old Man with a Pen

We loaded up in the Defender. Not that we packed ... no ... we three loaded up in the car and headed over the mountain via Bells line of road. The state called it B59 ... the locals call it Bells.

Ramone’s Service supplied our wants and needs quickly and we were off again.

Odd ... the girls aren’t speaking to me. It’s a wonder ... but the silence is good; I needed to concentrate on the curves. Just before Kurmond the road became one lane.

“Accident up ahead, Sir. Car over sped the corner. It’s bad. You ladies might want to avert your eyes. This is nothing for the junior set.”

So ... naturally ... when it was our turn ... they looked. It was Milford’s car but the mangled bloody mess that was getting bagged didn’t look like Milford.

“He TOLD you not to look,” I said. “You’re cleaning that up ... and I’m not helping.”

“You didn’t have to stop!” Abby said.

“You were craning your neck hard enough to break it. I was just helping out.” I had to look out the window and bite my cheek to keep from laughing.

Across the Hawkesbury River Bridge, the Bells took a jog and joined the A2. A little way along and the A2 became the A40 and the A40 meandered past the Olympic Park and the cop on the street said two streets and right when I asked the way to the A3. Before I got away he had told me what I already know ... I’m not from here.

Yes, yes, I know. Real men never ask directions. Real men get impossibly lost every day. I’ve been directed to turn around and go back 70k ... or more ... and turn south more than once before I learned the value of local knowledge. Even if it comes from a woman in the petrol at the counter.

Strange ... grandfather looked like the last one ... younger ... but similar.

“I expected you last night,” he croaked.

“Little Miss Astronomer there had other plans.” I said.

“Yes...” He skewered her with his eye, “Abby ... I’m proud of you. The Meade was a tremendous bargain. Good girl. And congratulations on making the Dean’s List.” “Close your mouth ... we have bug zappers and don’t need your help.”

“Dean’s List? The grades don’t come out for a month!” Abby said.

“You’ll be surprised, won’t you.” Not a question ... a command.

“Yes, Sir.”

“Time for the Auction.” He clapped his hands twice and the people who were there for the last auction filed in ... minus one. The Mexican was missing.

The nugget was wheeled in on a flat cart. A grain scales was wheeled and set up. The nugget, transferred from cart to scales and weighed in the presence of all concerned.

“We’ll call it one hundred ninety four kilos. What am I bid for a meter and a half of pure gold. It measures three quarters of a meter at the base. Do I hear seven million? less than smelter price. Thank you, sir. Do I hear eight? David ... see to Abby ... good catch by the way.”

The nugget brought 15 million ... half again smelter price. This one was destined for Harrah’s in Vegas.

After the auction, Abby wanted to know what the loose nuggets brought.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m sure.”

“Sit down.”

“That much?”

“Seventeen dollars over spot.”... “Per ounce.”

“What did it weigh?”

“Half a Troy ton.”... “The Australian Mint bought it.”... “Tax free.”

“So ... I’m a multi millionaire?”

“You were a multi millionaire the day you were born.”

“How interested in The Blonde are you?”

“Thanks.”

“Thanks?”

“I forgot condoms.”

“Shit!”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.