Bec4: The Wrong Wardrobe
Chapter 5: Wednesday afternoon

Copyright© 2017 by BarBar

Editor’s Note:
The next documents contain further transcripts of meetings and patient interviews written by Dr Koehler Snr (Psychiatrist).

Meeting with the Freeman family Wednesday 12/1; 12:40pm

Dr K: I’m glad that you’re all here. I want to speak to you before I take you in to see Bec.

Peter F: How is she? You said she was talking.

Dr K: Yes, I had quite a good conversation with her an hour ago. She was quite alert and aware of her surroundings. She still has no memory at all of Monday.

Dan F: Nothing at all?

Dr K: Nothing. The last thing she remembers is crawling into Dan’s bed the night before.

Dan F: Nothing happened. She just huddled up to me and went to sleep. I would never...

Dr K: Dan, it’s okay. I believe you. If we’re going to help your sister, we have to be honest with each other. I’m aware of her habit of sleeping in your bed. I don’t have any concerns about that. It is one of her safe places. It would be counter-productive to pretend that she didn’t do that. Nothing would please me more than to see her back with you again. Unfortunately, that isn’t possible at the moment, so we’ll have to work with what we’ve got.

Tara F: So is Bec feeling okay now?

Dr K: I wouldn’t go that far. She’s certainly better today than she was yesterday. She had a rough night last night, though. She had a nightmare and woke up screaming. She had to be sedated.

Tara F: She would’ve hated being drugged.

Dr K: Yes, I’m aware of that. I’m trying to use as few drugs as I can get away with. Sedating her last night was unfortunate but necessary. I need to mention that since this morning she’s been frantic to get to all of you. When I spoke to her, she was convinced that somebody bad was trying to hurt you all – especially Angela and Tara. She even tried to escape from here to get to you so that she could protect the two of you.

Dr K: Tara, I will need you to do everything you can to convince her that you and Angela are okay and that you are safe.

Tara F: I can do that.

Dr K: It’s really important that you don’t talk about Monday. Her subconscious is blocking those memories for a reason, so we need to ease her through those blocks very gently. If she questions you, say you’ve been asked not to talk about it. If she starts describing something from Monday, I need you to remember what she says so that you can tell me about it.

Peter F: Wouldn’t it be easier if you came in with us so you could hear what she says for yourself?

Dr K: Yes, it would be easier, but I assumed you would like some private time with your daughter.

Dan F: If you being in there will help you to help her, then please be in there with us.

Peter F: Yes, please do.

Dr K: Very well. I shall sit quietly in the corner and take notes. It is possible that just seeing and holding each of you will prompt some memories, so I am sure I will find it valuable to witness your time together.

Peter F: Does Bec know about what’s happened with her mother?

Dr K: No. I thought that would be better coming from you.

Peter F: Okay.

I knelt down to talk to Angela Freeman.

Dr K: Hello, Angie. Is it okay if I call you Angie?

No response – she had a thumb in her mouth. She looked at me and pressed sideways into Dan’s leg.

Dr K: I’m the doctor who’s been caring for Bec. It’s my job to help her get better. Will you help me take care of Bec?

She nodded.

Dr K: You’re going to visit her for a little while. She’d really like a cuddle with you. The important thing is not to talk about what happened to Bec on Monday. Can you do that?

Dan F: That probably won’t be a problem. With everything that’s been going on, she’s taken a page out of Bec’s playbook. She’s stopped talking.

Dr K: Ah. That can happen. It’s only Wednesday. If that keeps going for too long, please ask for help with her. In fact, please ask anyway. Speak to one of the nurses at the charge desk. They can supply you with a number of brochures on helping your child recover from a traumatic event.

Tara F: Can we see Bec now? Please?

Dr K: Certainly. As I explained when I called you, we don’t want to crowd her. That’s why there are only four of you here today. Even still, I don’t want all of you going in at once. I was going to suggest Dan take Angela in first, but given Bec’s concerns about Tara and Angie, I would like to take those two first instead. Then after a while, we can bring Dan in and then finally Peter. As each of you finishes your turn, I need you to try to pull back into a corner so that Bec doesn’t start to feel too crowded.

Tara F: Okay, we can do that.

Dr K: It will depend a little on how she’s going. We’ll have to play this one by ear. If she wants all of you holding onto her at once then that’s what you should do.

Dan: My guess is that you were right the first time. When she’s majorly upset she doesn’t cope very well with crowds – even small crowds.

Dr K: Dan and Peter, we’ve had a couple of times when a man has come into her room and she has panicked. She’s become used to me visiting but she still jumps when I enter and watches suspiciously until she’s sure that it’s me. She even panicked with you, Peter, before she figured out who you were. I’d like to recommend that you get low as quickly as you can – either sit on the bed or on the floor so that she doesn’t have anyone looming over her. I fully expect she will crawl into your lap as soon as you sit down. Given her nature, I consider that an essential part of her treatment.

Dan F: Good idea. Thanks.

Dr K: I’ll take you all through onto the ward and get you all signed in with the police officer. You can leave your bags and things at the Nurses’ Station. Then I’ll take Tara and Angela into Bec’s room. Peter and Dan can wait in the common area until we are ready for you.

Meeting finished 12:47pm


Notes: Freeman family visit with Rebecca Freeman. Wednesday 12/1; 12:50pm

Knocked and opened door.

Dr K: Hello, Bec. It’s me again. I’ve got...

Angela F: BEC!!

Apparently Angela hadn’t completely lost the ability to speak.

Angela didn’t wait for me to introduce her. She squealed Bec’s name and ran across the room to throw herself into Bec’s arms. Bec was sitting on the floor opposite the door with her knees up at her chest. She just had time to open herself up to catch Angela. Angela immediately began crying as she clutched onto Bec. Tara and I stepped into the room. I closed the door and slid sideways so that I could sit on the floor out of the way and take notes. Tara walked over and sat beside Bec. She reached around and wrapped her arms around both Bec and Angie. Tara also began crying.

The hug continued. The tears gradually stopped.

Bec pushed Angela back out of the hug so she could look at her little sister.

Bec: Angie, are you okay? What happened to your arm? (She was examining the cast on Angela’s forearm)

Tara: She broke it last week. You knew about that.

Bec: Oh – yeah – I remember.

She ran her fingers over a little butterfly she’d drawn onto the cast, looking embarrassed that she’d forgotten.

Bec: You’re wearing a nappy. Why is she wearing a nappy?

Angela: (looks ashamed, whispers) I had accidents.

Tara: She kind of went backwards with everything that happened. This is the first time she’s spoken in the last two days. Her potty training went out the window because of all the upset. Apparently it’s normal. When things settle down she’s supposed to go back to where she was without too much trouble.

Bec started running her hands over Angela’s face and then around the back of her head.

Tara: What are you doing?

Bec: I’m checking. I need to know that she’s okay.

Angela F: (whispers) I’m okay.

Bec: I just need to be sure, Angel. I just need to be sure.

Bec started taking Angela’s dress off – under the dress she was wearing an undershirt plus thick white tights over her diaper. Tara looked over at me with a puzzled expression on her face. Bec’s actions didn’t appear to be traumatizing Angela so I shrugged and nodded for Tara to let it continue. Once Bec had both the dress and the undershirt off, she ran her fingertips all over Angela’s chest, arms and back. She appeared to be looking for broken bones or bruises or any other form of injury. Angela let it happen without any protest – just the occasional giggle and wriggle when Bec touched a tickle-spot.

Bec moved on to Angela’s legs, sliding off her shoes and rolling the tights down her legs and off – thus leaving Angela wearing only her diaper.

Tara: Let me help you with those.

Tara took Angela’s clothes from Bec and carefully folded them

Tara: Do you see? She’s perfectly okay. No bruises. No scrapes. Just her arm that you already knew about. You don’t need to look under her nappy. I put that on her myself and I promise you she’s as good under there as she is everywhere else.

Bec: But ... I could have sworn...

Tara: We’re okay, Bec. She’s perfectly okay. She’s safe. We’re all safe.

Bec pulled Angela back into her chest and cuddled her. Angela put her thumb back into her mouth and closed her eyes. Bec turned to Tara.

Bec: What about you? Are you okay? I need to know.

Tara: Sure, I’m fine. No problems.

Bec: You’re lying. Don’t lie to me. You’re not okay. Are you hurt?

Tara: I fell over and knocked my head. I’ve got a bump on my head and a little bruise on my shoulder. It’s a bit sore but I’m going to be fine.

Bec: What? A bump? Show me. (Bec quite agitated)

Tara took Bec’s hand and ran it lightly over the side of her head.

Bec: Does it hurt?

Tara: Not really. It’s a bit sore but it’s not too bad. It’s hurting more now because you’re touching it. (she gently pushed Bec’s fingers away) It’s nearly gone now, anyway. I have to sleep on my other side. Apart from that it’s okay.

Bec: Show me your shoulder.

Tara: It’s just a little bruise.

Bec: Show me!!

Tara: Okay, okay.

Tara glanced over at me and blushed, then slipped off her jacket. She was wearing a tank top underneath. The tank top didn’t quite meet her jeans so a thin strip of skin was exposed at her stomach. The bruise on her shoulder was quite dramatic.

Tara: I’m not taking off anything else. Not with your doctor in the room. I mean, I know he’s a doctor and everything, but still...

Bec: That’s not a little bruise. That’s a humungous giant of a bruise. What happened?

Tara: I told you. I fell over. It only looks bad ‘cause it’s a couple of days old and the colors have all come out. It’ll fade in a couple more days.

Bec: I don’t believe you. You didn’t get that from falling over. What happened? Did I?

Pause. Bec looked back and forth between Tara and me with scared eyes.

Bec: (whisper) Did I do that to you? Where was I?

Tara: You were... (she stopped herself and looks across at me)

Tara: No, Bec. You didn’t do this.

Bec looked over at me.

Bec: She hit her head. Come over here and look in her eyes. She might have concussion or something.

Dr K: I don’t need to look in her eyes, Bec. A doctor has already done that. And checked her shoulder. She had a mild concussion and had to stay in bed for a while. She’s perfectly fine now. The bump is nearly gone and the bruise will fade away in the next few days.

Bec hugged Tara into her side. There were more tears.

Bec: (quietly) Tara, I want you to promise me. You and Angie – you have to stay with Dan or Dad. You have to stay right there with them. Don’t go to school. Don’t go anywhere else. Go with Dad to his work or go with Dan to his school. Sleep in Dan’s bed. Never, never be alone. Can you promise me that?

Tara looked over at me for reassurance and then back at Bec.

Tara: Okay, Bec. If that’s what you want. I can do that.

Bec: And the same goes for you, Angie.

Bec looked down at Angie in her lap.

Bec: What? She’s gone to sleep.

Tara: That’s good, Bec. Let her sleep. She was worried about you. Now that she knows you’re okay she’s relaxed a bit. I was worried too.

Dr K: Are you ready for another visitor?

Bec: What? (her eyes darted around the room) Wait.

Bec quickly passed the sleeping Angela to Tara and then stood up, placing herself between the door and her sisters.

Bec: Now I’m ready. Who is it?

Dr K: Dan. He’s been waiting outside until you were ready. Are you ready now?

Bec: Dan?

I went to the door and pressed the buzzer. It opened almost immediately and Dan Freeman crawled into the room on his hands and knees.

Bec: Dan?

I closed the door behind Dan and sat down again. Dan crawled forward another pace and sat in the middle of the room.

Dan: I’m here, Bec. You called me and I came.

Bec approached cautiously. She leaned over and put her nose into his neck, inhaling deeply. She stood up.

Bec: It really is you.

Dan: It’s me, Bec. I’m here.

Bec glared down at him, looking upset.

Bec: (with some anger) Where have you been? I needed you and you weren’t here.

Dan: I’m sorry, Bec. There were complications. That’s been sorted, finally, so I’m here now.

Bec: (holding out her wrist) They took you away from me. They cut you away with their scissors. We were tied together and they cut you away. Instead they gave me this stupid plastic band. It’s not tied to anyone.

Bec: (becoming increasingly distressed) They stood around me with their eyes staring – a circle of eyes. I was so scared. They cut you away and then they cut away my clothes and pointed their bright lights at me and stared at my nakedness with their circle of eyes. I couldn’t hide. I couldn’t run away. I couldn’t scream. All I could do was lie there while they touched me all over with their cold, cold hands. And you weren’t anywhere.

Bec: And they took Nana away too. (touching the top of her chest) She’s supposed to be here and they took her away. I had nobody, Dan. I couldn’t stand it, so I went away. Far, far away. And then I couldn’t find my way back. And I couldn’t find you anywhere.

Bec stood in front of Dan with tears running down her face.

Dan: I’m so sorry, Bec. I’m here now. Come and sit in my lap. You’ll feel better when I give you a hug.

Bec: I can’t. It’s not safe. When I do that, I’ll stop watching. And Tara and Ange are here so I have to keep watching.

Dan: I’m here Bec. Let me do the watching, you cuddle with me and let me worry about keeping them safe.

Bec: Well, don’t sit with your back to the door. You need to be more careful than that. You can’t watch like that. You never know who is going to come in. I keep waiting for that man to come in but he hasn’t yet. He will sooner or later. You can’t help me if you don’t see him coming.

Dan looked puzzled but carefully crawled across the room and sat next to Tara with his back to the wall.

Dan: Okay. I’m watching the door now. Come and give me a hug.

Bec looked back at the door doubtfully and then moved over to Dan. She sank down into his lap and put her arms around his neck. She pushed her face down into the gap beside his chin.

Bec: (voice muffled by her position) I needed you so very, very badly and you weren’t here.

Dan: I know, Bec. I’m sorry.

He kissed the top of her head. She sighed.

Bec: Are you watching the door?

Dan: Yes, Bec. I’m watching the door.

Bec: If that man comes in, I’ll go sideways and get in front of Tara and Ange. You stand up and stop him. Okay?

Dan looked at me with a question in his expression. I mouthed instructions back to him.

Dan: What man are you talking about?

Bec: There’s a man. He’s really scary. He’s one of them. One of the people who want to hurt me – hurt us. He sits outside my door. He never does anything. He just sits there. I think he’s waiting until nobody’s looking. Then he’s going to come for me.

Dan: Do you mean the police officer?

Bec: He looks like a police officer but he isn’t one. He wears a uniform so people think he is. He’s wearing a mask so nobody knows what he really looks like. Every so often, he changes the mask so he looks like someone different but it’s always the same man – but with different masks.

Dr K: This might be my fault. Bec, I should have explained this to you but you were shut down so I didn’t say anything. You’ve had a police officer outside your door since you were brought here. He’s there to protect you and to stop you leaving. You’re here at the hospital but you’re in the custody of the police. Do you understand what that means?

Bec twisted her head so she could look at me without moving from Dan’s lap. Her eyes wide.

Dr K: I usually introduce the officers but there was no point because you weren’t responding. They keep changing because they are each here for three hour shifts. Would you like to meet the one here now? I assure you that he is a genuine police officer. I’ve worked with him before. He’s not wearing a mask.

Bec stared at me without saying anything.

Dr K: He’s just going to stand in the doorway and say hello. He’s not going to come into the room.

I stood up and buzzed for the door to open. Bec scrambled to her feet and pulled Dan up to stand with her, clutching his hand. I noticed that she edged sideways so both she and Dan were in front of Tara and Angie. The door opened and I stepped into the doorway. I saw Peter Freeman approaching and gestured to him to step to one side, out of sight.

Dr K: Officer Geltio, would you mind coming to say hello to Bec Freeman?

Geltio: Yes sir. I surely wouldn’t mind. (he stood up and came to stand in the doorway. I stepped aside)

Dr K: Bec, I’d like you to meet Officer Geltio. He’s been sitting outside of your door for the last little while. I feel bad that I didn’t introduce him to you before.

Geltio: Good afternoon, Miss.

Bec walked forward, still holding tightly to Dan’s hand. She stopped in front of Officer Geltio and scrutinized his face carefully. Then her attention wandered down and focused on his badge. Her free hand lifted up and reached for it. I put my hand out and stopped her.

Dr K: Bec, we don’t touch police officers without asking.

Her hand pushed against mine.

Dr K: Officer, I think Bec would like to touch your badge. Is that okay with you?

Geltio: You can touch my badge if you want, Miss. But don’t try to pull on it or anything.

I removed my hand but stayed ready to intercede again if needed. It wasn’t needed. Bec lightly brushed her fingers across the badge – exploring all of the raised design with her fingertips. Then she used her entire hand to cover the badge.

Bec: (softly) Officer Geltio, what’s the number on your badge?

Geltio recited the number.

Bec nodded and lowered her hand.

Geltio: It’s my number in the police force. I write it on all the forms. If there were two Officer Geltios, they would know which of us filled out the form by the number.

Bec: (softly) Are you married?

Geltio: I was, Miss. We’re divorced.

Bec: (softly) I’m sorry. That must be awful. Do you have children?

Geltio: Yes, Miss. I have two – a boy and a girl. They’re twins, Logan and Amelia. They’re both seven years old plus change. I get to see them every second weekend.

Bec: (softly) Thank you for talking to me. I’m sorry. Having someone I didn’t know so close to my room was making me nervous. Please give Logan and Amelia an extra hug from me next time you see them.

Dr K: Thank you, Officer. Would you mind introducing the next officer when you change shifts?

Geltio: Happy to, sir. I’m only here for another hour. I’ll park myself back in my chair if you’ve finished with me.

Dr K: Thank you.

I closed the door.

Bec (looking at the closed door) He really misses his kids. I could see it in his eyes. He wishes he could see them more often.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.