Sunny Corner - Cover

Sunny Corner

Copyright© 2017 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 25

Mitchell’s Creek, Sunny Corner, New South Wales, Australia: Epilog

Jim’s house finally sold. It had been vacant for years. What was thought to be the new owners backed up in the drive in a spanking new Bush Ranger with a box trailer behind. A Toyota van loaded with several burly men parked and they began unloading the box trailer. A second larger moving truck parked at the roadside and unloading of that trailer commenced.

A new Holden arrived and two boys of about the ages of seven and eight shattered the neighborhood silence.

A harried couple admonished the boys ... not that it did any good.

They seemed a nice young couple.

Myndee and Jannali crossed the low fence and knocked at the backdoor. The woman of the house answered.

“Hi ... we’re your neighbors. I’m Janna li and this is Myndee.”

“Andrea and this is my husband, Tom. The pair of devastators shattering the quiet are Tommy and Carl.”

They passed over a complete meal ... not just a dish ... but entree, homemade bread, real butter, garden grown vegetables, salad and a desert.

Abby could be seen standing in the shadows but very interested in the possibility of someone to play with. She had just turned six. She was beyond beautiful.

Andrea said, “Can you tell me why there’s a truck in our garage?”

“Why, yes. The owner left and never came back,” Myndee said.

“Why is it still there?”

“Nobody bothered to move it,” Jannali said.

Thomas ... Tom stepped out the backdoor and said, “The title is in the jockey box ... it’s signed and notarized.” He waved it. “Odd, that.”

“It is?” asked Myndee.

“Yes ... but no keys.”

“Abby?”

“Yes ma’am?”

“There’s a set of keys in your fathers desk. Would you fetch them?”

“What an extraordinarily beautiful little girl,” said Andrea when Abby delivered the keys. Tom took the keys and repaired to the garage. Soon enough, he was back.

“The keys fit,” said Tom. “The battery is dead.”

He rubbed his hands together and grinned at his wife, “Something to do.”

She smiled indulgently, “Well, yes ... but you should check the ownership before you start on it.”

He disappeared back into the dark garage.

Soon ... very soon he could be heard laughing. A starter groaned, “YES!!” Soon there was a cough and a bang ... then the garage door flew up and a cloud of blue emerged.

“It runs,” Tom said.

Andrea shook her head.

There was a muffled beep. Myndee looked at her watch, the girls said, “We must be going. It’s time for our daily exercise and swim. Feel free.”

The pool in the backyard had been walled about and was a welcome cool spot on hot summer days.

After several weeks, Andrea and Tom were sunning after a swim. The boys were playing with Abby in the shallows. Andrea asked about Abby’s father.

“He’s up in the mountains ... he’ll be back when the rainy season starts,” Myndee said.

“Timber man?”

“Prospector,” Jannali said.

“It’s a hobby,” said Myndee.

“Hobby?” asked Tom. “What’s he do for a living?”

“Nothing.” said the girls. “He’s a Yank.” They laughed.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.