Sunny Corner
Chapter 24

Copyright© 2017 by Old Man with a Pen

Mitchell’s Creek, Sunny Corner, New South Wales, Australia:24

“Well Jim, got any idea what you’re going to do with that money?” I said.

“What money?”

“Got to you did he?”

“Huh?”

“Exactly.” I laughed.

“How does he know about the cowfaces?” Jim whispered. I could barely hear him.

“Gentlemen, gentlemen ... Please, there’s an auction going on ... you’ve already bid twice. All shall be revealed in the end,” Grandfather said.

Jim slapped his hand over his mouth.

“I have one million three hundred fifty thousand. I am looking for one four ... thank you sir. I have one million four ... do I hear one four fifty? One four fifty? one four fifty.” He raised his gavel... “ ... one five ... thank you, young lady. I have one five ... Any increase? one five ... one five ... last call. Sold at one million five hundred thousand. I’m sorry, sir ... you were too late. Speak to Miss Jakobsen ... perhaps ... No?

“Gentlemen and lady, I bid you adieu. Perhaps another time.”

The TV screen disappeared and the bidders clustered around Miss Jakobsen. Her entourage bullied their way forward and the losers stepped back.

The loser who dithered too long stepped up to grandfather, shook his hand, and said. “Perhaps, next time ... should such a prize again appear... ?”

Grandfather said, “Certainly, Dario Antonio. Should another such a one ... thank you for coming.”

I wouldn’t say the man was pushed out the door ... such an act would be dangerous in the extreme ... but his way was smoothed and he departed only slightly ruffled.

As the door shut behind Dario, grandfather shed his ceremonial robes and passed them to the oh so careful young man.

“Burn that ... and bring me soap and water. Touching the likes of him disgusts me.

“I feel violated, I had no idea he was coming.”

“How much?” Jim asked.

“You heard ... one and a half millions,” Grandfather said.

“That’s outrageous. Wasn’t worth more than four hundred thousand.”

“By the time Myndee is 50 that windfall will be worth 30 million,” Grandfather said.

“She’s not going to get the whole thing?”

“Absolutely not,” said the old man. “Imagine what her friends would do with it. Besides ... Abby needs her.”

Jim nodded.

“So ... you have 18 million to split.” He laughed, “What do you intend, Jim?”

I raised my hand and cleared my throat, “Why do I have half? I certainly don’t need it.”

“Punishment.

“Now, about the cowfaces, that is unkind but typical.”

He shimmered and there stood our cow faced miner, “We’ll be going soon. Would either of you care to go on a roadtrip? Or both?”

“So that’s how you arranged the auction,” I said. “You tempt me beyond belief. That would be the roadtrip to end all road trips.”

“But you must decline ... Abby.”

“Yes, Abby.”

“She could go ... just say the word.”

“I believe not.”

“Jim?”

“I wonder what’s out there,” Jim said.

“Planets where gold holds no power but salt does, Planets where magic is ... places beyond belief ... places so much like here you would believe you never left.”

“Is there mining?”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.