Sunny Corner - Cover

Sunny Corner

Copyright© 2017 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 23

Mitchell’s Creek, Sunny Corner, New South Wales, Australia:23

“Stop looking at me like that,” Myndee said.

“Like what?” Jim asked.

“Like I’m nuts.”

“So ... you’re going to tell the girl why we’re going to Sydney?” I asked.

“Yeah.” Jim said, “You say, ‘We’re going to see the Grandfather so I can sell my gold and avoid taxes.’ really?”

“Ooo,” she waffled, “I didn’t think about that.” She started gnawing on a fingernail, confusion writ large all over her face. “Bloody hell.”

“Bloody oath,” said Jim.

“Well, that’s come a gutser,” Myndee said. She had slipped into the vernacular, “She’s me cobber, she needs me.”

“Was she one of those who watched while you were raped?”

“No! Not her.” Myndee said, “Left.”

I turned left.

We drove aways, discussing.

“Right.” “Left in the alley.” “Stop.” “There she is.”

Indeed she was ... huge backpack and a case. She stopped behind the topper and waited.

“Nothing for it,” I said. I tossed Jim the keys, he stepped out and around back. I heard the thud of pack and bag. She climbed in the back with Abby and Myndee. Jim closed the door, tossed me the keys and...

“Right. We’re off,” Jim said.

First thing Myndee said, “What about work?”

“I chucked a sickie.”

I turned on the cab light. “That’s quite the eye.”

“Jara.” As if that explained it.

We kept looking.

“Alright, then. Jara got fired from his Postal job ... been on the dol for a few ... three nights ago he shows up with this mate of his. They started racking in the loo, his mate was off his head and Jara, the bastard, sold me. Fuck me. I might be up the spout. I dunno. It’s too soon to test.

“The bastard called me a Quadroon slut because I wouldn’t suck his while his mate was doing me fanny. Then he ups and hits me. Took me ring and walked off. Me boss sent me off ‘til the eye gets better. The bloke what done me keeps coming round. Landlords pissed. I had to get away.

“I’m sorry, Myndee. I couldn’t think. You were the only one I hoped might help.”

I kept driving.

So ... this time when we went by Lithgow and the Museum, it was closed. Not Lithgow ... the Museum ... way too early.

The Blue Mountains were just as pretty as the last time. The A-32 turned into the M-4 ... just like last time. Just like last time we turned onto the the A-3 and Hurstville.

The second time it’s not a road trip ... it’s a chore. Petrol was just as expensive ... the same clerks behind the same counters at the same stops. Not that they remembered us. They see hundreds every day ... we’d seen them twice.

Grandfather still lived. And he still occupied the entire top floor.

“About time you brought young Abby by,” he said. “And Myndee ... good ending for what was a very sad occasion. Jannali ... Nice eye.

“David, they did everything possible to save her ... she was too small and you’re a big one.

“Day-ee, Jim.”

“Day-ee, Mr. Chin.”

“Found out my name? Very clever.”

He made over Abby until she was giggling and gripping his finger.

“Ooo, yer a strong one,” and he tickled her chin.

The girls were offered the chance to rest and they were packed away.

“What did the cow faces leave this time?” Grandfather asked. Not us ... the stalwart youngster at his ear.

“That much?” He said, “18 million, and nodded at Jim. “You must keep it this time.”

When he said, “Cow faces,” Jim and I pretty much went into shock. So neither one of us was paying attention to the last part.

Then Mr. Chin folded back his sleeves and Myndee’s gold nugget was nestled in his lap. He snapped his fingers and a slew of rather important looking men appeared ... some observed from a TV screen. They fondled the nugget and oohed and awed over it.

“Gentlemen, what am I bid. Fifteen Troy pounds, eight and a quarter ounces. Possibly the finest and largest specimen of crystalline gold yet found. A perfect display piece or a secret treasure. I’ll start the bidding at seven fifty, do I hear a million?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.