Sunny Corner
Chapter 18

Copyright© 2017 by Old Man with a Pen

Mitchell’s Creek, Sunny Corner, New South Wales, Australia:18

Of course we had to go to court. I knew it would happen ... the ACFCSS knew it ... and Ms Wren made it happen very fast. Much faster than the Child Protection people wanted it.

We arrived 15 minutes early and presented our arrival to the Clerk of the Court. Ms Wren insisted on suits, clean white shirts, a somber tie and polished shoes. Before entering we shut off all electronic devices.

When the judge entered we stood and waited for her to be seated before we sat.

The announcement was made by the Clerk.

“If it please the court, in the matter of Orphan Girl, the plaintiff and counsel are present. The defense has not yet made an appearance.”

“Has a determination as to the tardiness of the State been made?”

“No, your Honor. No message or extenuating circumstance has been received by this court.”

“So noted.” She scribbled on a notepad. “The court will recess for fifteen minutes.”

“All rise.”

The State appeared as the judge was leaving her seat.

The judge glared at the late arrival but continued to retire to chambers.

When court reconvened, everyone was in their proper places as determined by seniority.

The trial/hearing commenced.

The State was especially vocal about my indigent appearance, my continued joblessness, my not seeking employment, and most especially about my prospecting. I had showed an utter lack of concern about the death of my paramour, as the state put it, and my dilatory consideration concerning the Orphan Girl ... the fruit of my wanton behavior.

Nursing Sister Jenkins was presented as a witness to my absence at the birth and death. Much was made of my prospecting at the time.

There were many gasps of indignity from the open court about my callous behavior.

Then it was our turn.

Ms Wren started out out by requesting formally information about how many single mothers were recipients of State funds. The State claimed privileged information.

“May it please the court, every request for information about the workings of the ACFCSS has met with the same answer... Privileged Information ... For the Welfare of the Child. Even attempting to contact the child had been rebuffed.”

“We submit that our client has been grossly misused and slandered. We request that the court check his credit rating ... now. Here is his One Card.”

The Clerk ran the card and returned to the court with the present balance.

The judge looked at the document and whispered, “Are you sure?” to the Clerk. He nodded.

Wren then presented bank documents ... the bottom line of which caused wide eyes.

She presented the marriage documents ... signed by a local minister.

“Abbie ... for reasons known only to herself ... did not register her marriage ... but the ceremony was performed, signed, witnessed, and sealed.”

Wren then called the “hen party” the women who were present when labor commenced.

Every one of them testified as to the time Abbie left. Gary, the defensive driving instructor, verified Abbie’s license.

The officer who detained Abbie was an adversarial witness but admitted to the length of time she was stopped.

Jim testified to his knowledge of my condition concerning Abbie’s death and the mess caused by Child Protection Departments refusal to listen to any voice but their own.

But in the end ... the ACFCSS objected strenuously to my refusal to explain as to the source of my wealth.

A State Department official appeared and admonished the judge.

“That is official Secrets. If you insist ... you will be removed to a place where you will be told ... but you will be held in custody until such time as the information is no longer secret. Do you still wish to know?”

“He’s a spy?”

“You might think that. I could not possibly say.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.