Sunny Corner - Cover

Sunny Corner

Copyright© 2017 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 15

“Can’t fault you there,” said Jim.

“One hundred million violent dead in the last hundred years?” the cow-faced gent said, “You got no argument against it.

“Millennia ago there were predators that competed against you humans and that kept your numbers down. But you couldn’t have that ... so you killed them all. Simply because you wanted what they had. Those you couldn’t hunt to death you took their land and drove them out ... even if they were your own kind.”

I gave him a look.

“It’s true,” he said, “Subhuman ... third class things taking up what should belong to you. Interlopers. Less than you.”

“Okay,” I said. “We’re not all like that.”

“What if I told you that Abbie had been assaulted ... dying ... because you weren’t there?” he questioned. “And the police refused to do anything?”

“Umh ... not fair.”

“Life is not fair,” he said. “All men are not equal. Your truths you hold most sacred are lies. Philosophy sucks.”

“How can you say that?”

“Observation,” he said. “Your leaders practice the Do as I say rule but follow Not as I do. Even the parents of your young. Which reminds me ... Congratulations, David. You’re a father.”

“What?”

“Abbie presented you your offspring at 2:33 this afternoon.”

I looked at my watch... 2:35. “Two minutes ago?”

“Three now,” He got a concerned look. “Uh Oh.

“What?”

“No time for lies,” he said. “You’re a single parent.”

That took a couple of minutes to decipher.

“WHAT THE FUCK!!” I exploded when I figured it out.

“She was too small.”

Instant clusterfuck. I didn’t which way was up. My feet were acting like my laces were tied, my body wanted left ... I turned right.

“Jim ... we need to go ... now!”

The cow faced fellow said, “How long is it going to take to get there?”

“Four or five hours driving time. Why?”

“Abbie is dead,” I said.

“WHAT!”

“Died in childbirth ... or so our friend,” I nodded at the miner, “Said.”

“I don’t believe it!” Jim was astonished. “Call.”

“Oh yeah ... cellphone,” I had it out and looking for bars. I had a signal. Odd. On our particular stretch of Mitchell’s Creek there was no service. Up here on the bank? It was four bars.

I tried the landline ... no answer.

I tried her cell.

“Hello, Abbie?”

“Who is this?”

“This is her husband. Who are you?”

“Head Nursing Sister, Obstetrics, Bathurst Base. Sir? Where are you?”

“Near Sunny Corner.”

“Oh my ... well nothing for it ... you need to get here as fast as possible. You need to identify the body.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.