A Christmas Storm
Chapter 10: Things Change

Copyright© 2017 by radio_guy

Amy arrived about forty-five minutes later. Gail welcomed her inside. The three of us sat in the living room after she shook hands with me and gave Gail a hug. Amy’s dress, under her heavy coat was skimpy for office wear in my opinion though perfectly legal. I thought it funny in an ironic way that her figure wasn’t as good as Gail’s. I carefully kept my face impassive regarding that opinion.

Gail said, “Amy, I’m guessing that you have no place to live after the end of the month. With Jack gone, you may need a new roommate or some other situation?” Amy nodded.

“I have talked to Todd. He is willing to consider letting you rent a room here for awhile. However, he does have rules for living here. You may find them an issue.”

“Gail, first is that you are very right. I’m going to be desperate for a place after the first. I’m very uncomfortable living in the apartment alone even now. Second, I will consider anything reasonable.”

I spoke up. “Amy, I don’t need roommates. Gail was in a tough situation and there was an opportunity for me to help her in a manner that would help me. It’s working out well thus far. She has asked me to consider having you stay here so you can make long-term plans.”

“I would appreciate that, Todd. What are your rules?”

“You should know that I’m old-fashioned. I go to church and take my attendance and my faith seriously. That implies moral standards including no men in your room and none staying overnight. There is prayer at meals and you must at least be respectful. Church is on Sunday and going to mine or another is mandatory. You should also be aware that I’m a ham radio operator and will be on the radio at odd hours. There is a cat, Voltage, who is a part owner here, too.

“The rent will be half of your share at your apartment and includes all utilities and most food. Any special food you want will be for you to handle. I don’t mind light social drinking including wine with many meals but getting drunk will get you tossed. No drugs. You can use the furniture in the room or yours. The barn will easily store anything not being used.”

She said, “Everything will be fine. I haven’t gone to church in years but it sure won’t hurt me. You are a bit old-fashioned. I like cats.”

She gave a sigh of relief. “When could I move in?”

“It’s your call. Gail can show you the other spare bedrooms and discuss logistics while she does. I know you work so that creates issues for a move during the week.” I gave a wave to them to head down the hall to the bedrooms. I went into the radio room/office and sat down at my desk. A few minutes later, they came in. Gail sat at her table/desk and Amy took one of the chairs on the other wall.

She said, “I like it. We can just store my furniture except for linens and clothes. I would like to get clothes and move in immediately. Gail can help me with clothes and then we can fix some supper. She explained her deal while showing me my room.” She smirked.

I said, “Okay by me. Ladies, what do you need?”

Gail said, “Where do you want her to park and do you have another house key?”

I responded. “She can park beside the drive. There is a widened spot for a trailer that would work well. I have another key. I’ll get it.” I reached into my desk and retrieved a key handing it to Amy.

“Thank you, Todd. I appreciate your help.” She and Gail left returning almost two hours later. Gail came into the office as I was flipping off the radio. “Gail, why don’t I order. It will be here in thirty minutes and that gives you time to help Amy load her room.”

Gail grinned and nodded. “Okay, but my cooking isn’t that bad. I enjoy cooking for you.”

“I enjoy eating your cooking but pizza is simple and works for this evening.” She nodded. I turned to my computer and ordered.

The pizza was delivered and I came into the kitchen with it from the door. I set it down while Gail grabbed plates. I picked a lemonade. Gail wanted a diet Coke as did Amy. I brought the cans along with the Parmesan cheese to the table.

After I prayed, the pizza box was opened and everyone helped themselves. I had ordered an extra large and there was plenty. When we finished eating, Amy said, “What were you going to do?”

I said, “I have some more on the computer to do. I will be there. I will probably turn on the radio, too.”

Gail smiled. “I’m working on my next ham test.”

Amy said, “Do you mind if I watch TV?”

“Not at all.”

Gail and I went into the radio room and took our seats. I turned the radio on as I woke up my computer. I tuned around forty meters and heard a conversation. I waited a bit listening while I typed. Then, I said, “Contact.”

“Go contact.”

“This is KA4D. May I join you guys?”

“Of course. Tell us about yourself.”

“I’m Todd located east of Atlanta, Georgia. I have a young lady with me who has just passed her Tech and General tests on her first try. Gail is studying for her Extra now. KA4D.”

“Todd, it’s good to hear from you. I’m Jerry, AB5LD, located in Jackson, Mississippi. Put Gail on.”

Gail leaned over and said, “Hello, Jerry. This is Gail. I haven’t been able to find me listed yet with a call sign but I’m hopeful for tomorrow or Wednesday. I want to pass my Extra class test to have all of forty available like Todd has. Until then, I have to operate under his control which isn’t all bad. AB5LD from KA4D.”

Jerry chuckled. “Thank you, Gail. You sound great over the radio. What materials are you using to study?”

“I have Todd’s books from when he taught an Extra class last year and I have started taking the Extra practice tests on QRZ. I’m targeting January but may go sooner if I can get comfortable with the practice results and find a test site.”

“That’s great, Gail. Let me pass this over to Phil, K8RV. Phil, what do you think? AB5LD.”

“Thank you, Jerry. K8RV, Phil in West Virginia, here. I agree that her voice sounds great and her plans for the license are good. Todd, what does she look like? K8RV.”

“KA4D.” I continued. “I’ve said that she’s four feet tall and wide with buck teeth and glasses.” Gail grimaced. “However, that isn’t true. She’s very attractive with a great figure. She went to the Gwinnett county club’s testing session for her Tech and General last Thursday. I think those sessions will forever be better attended in the hopes that another fox will show up for a test. We’re helping each other out. She lost her roommates so needed a place. I needed someone to cook. She is an excellent cook and the only folks not happy about this are the local delivery restaurants. Over to you, Jerry. AB5LD from KA4D.”

Thank you, Todd. AB5LD. I guess you have experienced the cold snap. Did you get any snow? I hope she will post a picture on QRZ when she gets her call. Over to you, Phil. AB5LD.”

“Fine business. Todd, Jerry. K8RV. Of course, snow is expected up here. Todd, what equipment are you running? If Gail can tear herself away from her studying, let her answer. K8RV.”

Gail grinned. “KA4D. We had more sleet and ice than snow but, by Sunday, it was mostly gone. It’s still cold but bright sun and wind work well.

“The radio is Todd’s since I haven’t gotten my license yet. He operates a Kenwood TS-2000 with a fan dipole in an inverted vee configuration. There are legs for eighty, forty, and twenty meters. It’s hard to see because it’s up in the trees. Over to you, Jerry. KA4D.”

Jerry talked and then passed the conversation over to Phil. He talked and then said he had to leave and offered seventy-three to Jerry and us. Gail picked up and we also checked out so she could return to her studying.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.