A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 4 - Elyse - Cover

A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 4 - Elyse

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 26: Politics

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 26: Politics - This is the continuation of the story told in "A Well-Lived Life 2", Book 3. If you haven't read the entire 10 book "A Well-Lived Life" and the first three books of "A Well-Lived Life 2" you'll have some difficulty following the story. This is a dialog driven story. The author was voted 'Author of the Year' and 'Best New Author' in the 2015 Clitorides Awards, and 'Author of the Year' in 2017.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Mult   Military   Workplace   Polygamy/Polyamory   First   Slow  

July 31, 1990, Chicago, Illinois

“No,” Jennifer said. “I want to finish this once and for all.”

It was Tuesday night after dinner, and we were sitting in the kitchen in the coach house drinking tea with Josie. Jesse was playing a video game, so we had some privacy.

“Jen,” I pleaded. “Just let it go. She’s conceded. I talked with her yesterday and we buried the hatchet.”

“That bitch tried to have my son taken from me!” Jennifer spat. “Why let her off the hook?”

“She tried to have me arrested and have ALL the kids taken away. But between Melanie, Gwen, and Phil, we took care of it. Seriously, Jennifer, if you pursue this it’s likely to create enough ill-will that she might retaliate. And that’s the last thing we need. Just let it go. Being vindictive now is not the right play.”

“Who’s to say she won’t try it again in the future?” Jennifer demanded.

“She came to me to end this, Jen. I gave up nothing at all.”

“And why would she do that?”

I could tell her, just not ALL the details.

I smiled, “My union contacts might have created a very difficult situation for Mrs. Lundgren by telling hotels they wouldn’t work at her events, which would have meant cancelling a huge fund raiser.”

“You sneaky bastard!” Josie said with a laugh.

“I learned a long time ago just how valuable friendships and business relationships are. I simply asked for a favor and it was granted. And I’m sure in the future, someone will ask me for a favor and I’ll return it. I’ve done that with everyone from friends to professors to business associates. And it pays off. Margaret Lundgren won’t bother you ever again. She knows who holds the winning hand. No matter how much money she has, she can’t beat the unions in Chicago.”

“Hell no!” Josie said. “They’re mobbed up, too!”

“All of NIKA’s contracts with the unions are on the up-and-up,” I said. “Completely above board.”

“Sorry, I wasn’t implying that you were involved with the Mob; just that even Mrs. Lundgren can’t take on the Outfit!”

“The Feds are having a hell of a time taking on the Chicago Outfit,” I said. “Even with Operation Greylord, they mostly busted lawyers and judges, plus some deputy sheriffs, cops, and court clerks. But as far as I can tell, they never busted any of the Outfit guys who I’m sure are behind all of this. We all know how corrupt the city of Chicago is. Jen, will you please let this drop?”

“What about my complaint against DCFS?”

I shook my head, “Gwen says you can’t win because anonymous tips are explicitly mentioned in the statute and DCFS is mandated by law to investigate all reports. She went overboard, but she also got slapped down by a judge for that.”

“So they get away with it?”

“I can understand how you would see it that way, but I don’t think they did. Mrs. Lundgren surrendered and Mrs. Danforth is under a court-imposed order of protection. That’ll stay on her record in family court. And, Jeri will pay for any expenses you’ve had. She’s paying all of the attorney fees for Gwen, Phil, and Melanie.”

“I suppose she can afford that, can’t she?”

“Yes, she can. She and her mom are working things out, but Jeri is going to stay with NIKA. In the end, everything is fine.”

“I have to say you were the model of calm during this whole thing,” Jennifer said. “That’s a refreshing change.”

“He has been since Jessica came back,” Josie said. “Whatever happened on his drive to and from Maine seems to be what changed him.”

I smiled, “I’d say it started on December 18th, when my friends orchestrated the kidnapping of my wife, and Jessica, Kara, and I started to put things back together. I owe you a huge debt of gratitude, Jennifer.”

“Consider it as repayment for everything you did for me over the years. I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for you. And the three of us wouldn’t have Jesse. He’s worth all the pain and suffering we endured.”

“Just don’t tell HIM that!” I chuckled. “His ego is bigger than mine, and I didn’t think that was even possible!”

“Neither did I!” Jennifer laughed.

“How are things with Carol?”

“It’s going about the way I expected. Francesca isn’t here very often, and Jesse is well aware that her mom isn’t letting her visit. He’s not happy about it, but we talked about how her family is busy and that kind of thing. He has enough friends that he’s not lonely - Peter, Amber, and Kristin are here a lot, and he has all his siblings. I’m sure Alexa and Eric will be around once they’re a bit older. And you know he and April are best buddies.”

“She’s definitely his favorite babysitter, though he likes Fawn a lot, too.”

“But Fawn treats him like a little kid. April doesn’t.”

“Has April found a boyfriend?” I asked.

“She’s dating a guy who’s an assistant chief of staff to the Mayor. It’s not too serious yet, but they seem to get along pretty well.”

“That’s good to hear. I assume you heard that Fawn has a steady boyfriend?”

“Yes,” Jennifer laughed.

“What’s so funny?”

Jennifer shook her head.

“Oh go on, tell him,” Josie smirked.

“We might have walked in on her and her boyfriend getting frisky on the couch a week ago.”

“Al Barton will KILL me,” I said. “As much as I believe in freedom for teenagers, she can NOT entertain her boyfriend here when she’s babysitting!”

“Keep your shirt on,” Jennifer laughed. “They were fully clothed, though some buttons might have been undone! I told her she can’t have anyone here without express permission and I wasn’t giving permission for her to have her boyfriend here. She seemed appropriately chagrined.”

“I do have to say that given your history, I’m amazed that you and she never...” Josie smirked.

“I’m not sure who would have used the scalpel - Jessica or Al - but either way, my voice would be a few octaves higher if I ever did that. No way!”

“Given how out of control you were when Jessica threatened to have an abortion, I figured you’d be confessing that to Elyse and me before everything was said and done.”

“I wasn’t that far gone,” I said.

“Oh yes you were,” Jennifer said. “Becky.”

“First of all, YOU said it had to happen, eventually. Second, she’s changed.”

“I said it had to happen eventually because I knew you’d lose your mind over something at some point, and your self-destructive nature would lead you straight to that girl’s bed. It did before. And it doesn’t matter if she’s changed. You knew exactly what you were doing and exactly what it would do to your relationships.”

“But it didn’t,” I said.

“Only because all of us, individually, decided to give you one more chance. But you don’t have another one. I believe Elyse explained that to you.”

“She did, and so did Kara, Jessica, Doctor Green, Bethany, and my sister. And some others.”

“Take it to heart, Steve. Next time, all of this will disintegrate, and there will be nobody left here for you. So there can’t BE a next time.”

“I know, Jen. Thanks.”

She smiled, “You’re welcome. I’ll call the attorney in the morning and tell him to drop things. What should I do with the invoice?”

“Give it to me and I’ll get it to Jeri.”

Jennifer and I hugged and exchanged a rare soft kiss, then I hugged Josie and headed back to the main house.

August 2, 1990, Chicago, Illinois

“So what do you think?” Kara asked.

“I think it really doesn’t mean much. Iraq invading Kuwait doesn’t strike me as something anyone is going to get too worked up about.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Kuwait was set up as a British protectorate around 1900. The Saudi royal family tried to annex as much of Kuwait as they could, but historically, it really belonged to what is now modern-day Iraq, at least from an economic viewpoint. In the 60s, protectorate status ended and it became independent, but both Iraq and Saudi Arabia claimed the territory. Earlier this year, Iraq claimed to OPEC that Kuwait was stealing its oil by slant-drilling across the border. That’s probably what this is about. In the end, though, it’s such a minor territory that I can’t see anyone except the Saudis really giving a damn.”

“How do you know all of that?”

“From The Economist.”

“So Iraq will get to keep the territory?”

“I don’t see Saudi Arabia attacking Iraq, and I can’t imagine anyone else jumping to Kuwait’s defense. There will be a bunch of shouting and screaming, and maybe a UN Resolution condemning the aggression and telling Iraq to give the territory back.”

“But that won’t have any effect, will it?”

I laughed, “No, of course not. It’s like sending them a letter telling them how very angry you are, but not having any way to do anything about it. I could be wrong, and the moron in the White House could do something spectacularly stupid, or the Saudis could lose their minds and attack, but I don’t think so.”

“So Bush won’t do anything?”

“What CAN he do? Order an invasion? Where’s the support for that going to come from?”

“So Iraq gets away with it?”

“Yep. Saddam Hussein, like many strongmen before him, found a weak neighbor he could take over without too much risk. It’s not quite the Austrian «Anschluß»; maybe more like the Sudetenland.”

“You lost me.”

“Sorry. You know I’m a history buff. Before World War II, Hitler managed to take over Austria and part of Czechoslovakia without firing a shot. It was when he demanded a corridor to Danzig from Poland and they refused that the shooting war actually started. Well, that’s not even true, because Japan and China were at war long before that.”

“If something happened, could any of your friends be involved?”

“Aimee; she’s in the Seventh Fleet based in Japan, but otherwise? It’s not very likely. Sure, it could happen like Nick’s TDY, but most likely, no. As for Aimee, she’s on a command ship, so it’s not likely she’d be close enough to anyone shooting back to make it dangerous.”

“That’s what we thought about Nick’s assignment.”

“True. But let’s not worry about things before they happen. The US and the UN will protest, and that should be the end of it. Remember, Hussein was our guy during the Iran-Iraq War.”

“Wasn’t Noriega our guy? And Marcos?” Kara asked.

I chuckled, “Yes. I get your point. But let’s not worry about it. How’s Stephie this morning?”

“Hungry! I swear she eats enough for three babies! Don’t forget we have the pediatric check-up tomorrow at 9:00am.”

“I haven’t forgotten! When do you start work?”

“My first class is August 27th, but my first day at work is August 20th.”

“And you’re OK with leaving Stephie with Abbie?”

“It’s only for a few hours at a time. Abbie is wonderful with the kids. And you know Birgit helps her with everything. Plus you’re less than ten minutes away and you have your cellular phone with you all the time.”

I smiled, “I wasn’t worried about the baby. I was worried about you!”

Kara giggled, “Oh! Yes, I’m fine. Remember, this was all on my timing. I decided when to have the babies and when to go to work. What sort of messed things up was the two year delay before I came to Chicago. You’re not having second thoughts about me working, are you? I don’t remember you asking Jess about this.”

I smiled, “No second thoughts at all. You and Jessica are two VERY different people. For you, having babies, my babies, is the most important thing that will ever happen in your life. For Jess, having babies is checking off a box of what a successful woman doctor needs to do.”

“Wow, Steve, that’s harsh!”

“Hang on! I didn’t say she doesn’t love Albert and the girls. It’s just her motivations are very different. You do remember we discussed our motivations to get married with Doctor Green, right?”

“Sure; and your motivation for having kids?”

“Similar to yours. I always wanted to be a dad and a grandpa. You remember the life-goals lists we made? Those were my top two things. Babies didn’t even make Jessica’s list. It was the top of yours. For me, the kids are a direct expression of my love for you, Jessica, Elyse, and Jennifer. Something tangible that will survive long after we’re gone, if there’s any justice in the universe.”

“It still seems kind of harsh to say that about Jess.”

“Is it any harsher than her wanting a ‘trophy husband’?”

“No, I suppose not,” Kara said slowly.

“And really, in the end, do the motivations matter all that much? We all want our marriage to work, and we all want kids. The why isn’t all that important to me.”

“Because you don’t trust your own understanding of your own motivations. That’s what you told Doctor Green.”

“Exactly. And if I can’t trust my understanding, then I can’t really worry about what other people think their motivations are. It’s much easier to just deal with what people do or say.”

“Doesn’t it help to figure out what motivates people?”

“Yes, though motivations change over time and with circumstances. You should know that very well, Kara Anne Blanchard!”

“Our motivations for having sex the first time?”

“Yes. By the time we actually made love, our motivations had changed, don’t you think?”

She giggled, “Just a bit!”

She shifted Stephie to her other breast.

“I need to get to the office,” I said. “Why don’t you come by for lunch?”

“OK! See you at noon!”

We kissed and I headed out the door.

August 3, 1990, Chicago, Illinois

“Well, that was fast,” I said. “It says here that the UN issued Security Council Resolution 660 demanded that the two sides enter into negotiations to end the conflict. Of course, Saddam Hussein has no reason to negotiate in good faith. He has the territory and nobody can make him give it back. Iraq has something like a million-and-a-half troops!”

“So he’ll just ignore it?”

“Yep. He’ll thumb his nose at it. The next step would be economic sanctions, I guess. But I can’t imagine anyone in the West wanting to take Iraq and Kuwait’s oil off the market when prices have already shot up because of the invasion. Not to mention that oil is fungible. They could just sell it through a friendly nation, and SOMEONE will cheat for cheap oil. Heck, WE might cheat for cheap oil!”

“Well, we have more important things to worry about right now! It’s supposed to rain this morning, so I’ll bring the car to go to the pediatrician. Can you be out front of your office at 8:35am?”

“Sure. I’m going to walk anyway. I’ll just take my umbrella.”

“What about lunch today?”

“I’m meeting Alderman Bloom at Medici.”

“OK. Then I’ll drop you back at the office. If it’s still raining, do you want me to drive over so we can get Jess?”

“Sure. Just call me and let me know.”

I finished my breakfast, kissed Kara goodbye, said goodbye to the kids and then headed to the office. I took care of paperwork and returned several calls. This was all of the stuff that Julia used to do. Some of it I’d delegated, like having Kimmy deal with all suppliers and vendors. I’d only talk to them if Kimmy was convinced that I needed to. But there were always customer calls - either potential customers or existing ones. By the time I cleared the CEO tasks from my ‘To Do’ list, it was time to walk out front and meet Kara.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.