A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 4 - Elyse
Chapter 21: The Option of Last Resort

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 21: The Option of Last Resort - This is the continuation of the story told in "A Well-Lived Life 2", Book 3. If you haven't read the entire 10 book "A Well-Lived Life" and the first three books of "A Well-Lived Life 2" you'll have some difficulty following the story. This is a dialog driven story. The author was voted 'Author of the Year' and 'Best New Author' in the 2015 Clitorides Awards, and 'Author of the Year' in 2017.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Mult   Military   Workplace   Polygamy/Polyamory   First   Slow  

July 6, 1990, Chicago, Illinois

“Steve, this is Sam Kassan. I spoke to the detectives.”

“And?”

“I don’t rightly believe it myself. You’re being investigated for open, notorious adultery, which is a Class A misdemeanor in Illinois, and punishable by up to year in jail.”

“Come off it!” I exclaimed in complete bewilderment.

“I kid you not. Melanie will be back from court within the hour, and I’ve set an appointment with the detectives at our office for 3:00pm today.”

“I thought stuff like this was never prosecuted?”

“It usually isn’t, and I can’t think of the last time it was. But the law is on the books. I know you have a unique set of relationships. Have you had a falling out with any of the women?”

“No. But I think I know where this is coming from. I need to make a couple of calls, but I’ll be in your offices at 3:00pm.”

“Come at 2:00pm so we can discuss this beforehand. I don’t think it will go anywhere, but you never know.”

“Thanks, Mr. Kassan,” I said.

“And by the way, you’ll be in good company.”

“Good company?”

“Back in 1938, Frank Sinatra was arrested and charged with adultery. Well, it was originally ‘seduction’, but they changed the charge to ‘adultery’, and eventually dismissed the charges.”

I chuckled, “Nice. Thanks again, Mr. Kassan.”

“So?” Kara asked.

“So, I suspect it’s Mrs. Lundgren who’s behind this. She’s politically connected, I’m sure, and a call to the State’s Attorney could generate an investigation without necessarily leading to prosecution. Just to put pressure on me. Let me call Phil. And I guess I need to call Gwen and Jamie, too. And Elyse. Fuck!”

“Just relax and make your calls. Let the lawyers do their thing.”

I took a couple of deep breaths, “You’re right.”

I made my first call and explained to Phil what had happened. He agreed that Melanie was the right person to handle it, but that he’d look into the situation himself to see what he could find. When I finished with him, I called Gwen.

“Oh for Pete’s sake!” she exclaimed. “I don’t think they could ever get a conviction on that! If you put Kara, Jessica, Elyse, and Jennifer on the stand, and they all agree that it’s mutually acceptable, I can’t imagine any jury would ever convict you. And if they did, it would almost certainly be overturned by the Federal courts. It’s harassment, pure and simple. But it’s harassment you can’t do anything about but wait out, because it is technically against the law.”

“Do you think the police will actually file charges?”

“I have no idea. But given that you actually are in violation of the law, it’s possible. I doubt the State’s Attorney would prosecute, but you never know. Just talk with your friend Melanie and see what she thinks. Did you talk to Jamie?”

“He’s my next call.”

I hung up with Gwen and called Jamie. He wasn’t available, but I was assured that he’d call me back within the hour. I called the office and explained to Elyse what had happened. She offered to come home, but I told her that there wasn’t a point to doing that and that I’d call her as soon as the meeting with the detectives was over. I thought about calling Jessica, but there really wasn’t anything she could do at the moment. There was the issue of meeting her to walk home, but I could call her from Melanie’s office to let her know. I didn’t want her to worry and have it affect her workday.

Kara and I had lunch with Abbie and the kids, and then I went upstairs to dress for my meeting. I put on a tie, but not a suit, and after I kissed Kara goodbye, I walked out to my car to head to the Loop offices of Kassan and Associates. I was ushered into a conference room and a minute later both Melanie and Sam Kassan came into the room. I shook hands with Mr. Kassan, and Melanie and I hugged and exchanged an ‘air kiss’.

“The good news is,” Sam Kassan said, “there hasn’t been a prosecution I can find since the 60s. I spoke to a friend in the State’s Attorney’s office and he said the last time he was aware of charges being filed in Cook County for an adultery case were in a nasty ‘society’ divorce in the 70s, and those were dropped.”

“And the bad news?” I asked.

He smiled, “Mrs. Lundgren is very close friends with the State’s Attorney. She’s a major campaign contributor and he has designs on higher office. That said, I don’t think the State’s Attorney will risk the negative publicity of trying to prosecute you. But the police will conduct an investigation and might even bring charges. In that case, I suspect we’ll get a nolle prosequi from the State’s Attorney. At that point, we’ll move to expunge the charges.”

“So what do we say to the detectives?”

“Absolutely nothing. Your response to every question, beyond your name, address, age, employment, is to be ‘On the advice of counsel, I decline to answer’. If there’s anything that needs to be addressed, allow Melanie or me to answer. Melanie has filled me in, but I want to ask a few questions just to make sure I understand the situation.”

“Shoot,” I said.

“You had a wedding ceremony that included two women and yourself?”

“Yes, but we made it clear that it wasn’t a legal ceremony. The legal ceremony was private, and there is only a single marriage license, and that’s with Jessica.”

“I was at the wedding,” Melanie said. “There’s no question about how it was handled, and I’ll swear to that as an officer of the court. Jamie Ferguson was there as well, and Gwen Meyer advised them on how to proceeed.”

“And you’ve never held yourself out as married to Kara to any government official?”

“No. Gwen and Jamie were clear about how to handle it. As we understand it, Illinois has no law about claiming to be married to someone, so long as I don’t try to claim benefits or anything like that.”

“That’s my understanding as well. Now a delicate question. Melanie indicated that the three of you engage in sex together.”

“That’s true.”

He smiled, “That actually strengthens your case, because there isn’t an aggrieved spouse. On the other hand, they could theoretically charge Jessica as well. But I think that would cause them problems, as all three of you would say it was voluntary and mutual. I think, though I’m no expert, you’d have a constitutional claim based on the series of laws that made birth control legal everywhere. But again, you’d need a lawyer versed in that area. I also need to ask about the mothers of your other children.”

“Jennifer and I haven’t been intimate since Jesse was conceived,” I said.

“She’s the lesbian in a committed relationship?”

“Yes. The other one is Elyse. She and I do sleep together, with the blessing of my wives.”

“But she doesn’t participate in your intimate relations with the other girls?”

“No. I sleep with her in her room.”

“One more delicate question. I understand from Melanie that there are, from time to time, other women. And this is OK with your legal wife.”

“Yes.”

“OK. We’ll avoid THAT topic completely. Just remember, other than basic facts, you refuse to answer any questions. Melanie or I will handle everything else.”

“Got it,” I said.

“Steve,” Melanie said, “your sister sent over the release. I can tell you that we’re making progress with the Assistant State’s Attorney in ensuring that she gets court supervision, which will allow everything to be expunged after two years.”

“Thanks.”

The detectives arrived just before 3:00pm and were ushered into the conference room. They asked, as we expected for my name, birthdate, address, occupation, and work address.

“And you are married to a Jessica Lee Adams, nee Wilton?”

I looked over at Sam Kassan who nodded slightly.

“Yes.”

“What is your relationship with Miss Kara Anne Adams, nee Blanchard?”

I saw Sam Kassan shake his head.

“On the advice of counsel, I decline to answer.”

“Do you claim to be married to both of these women?”

“On the advice of counsel, I decline to answer.”

The detective sighed, “Is that how this is going to go?”

“Yes, detective, it is,” Sam Kassan said. “Our client has nothing to say to you beyond the initial factual questions.”

“Then we’ll be preferring charges against your client based on statements we already have,” the second detective said.

“You do realize that the particular statute you’re talking about has not been successfully prosecuted since the 1960s and neither I, nor the State’s Attorney’s office, can find any records of charges being filed and not dropped in nearly twenty years.”

“This investigation is on behalf of the State’s Attorney, Mr. Kassan.”

“When you file charges, please contact my office and we’ll arrange for Mr. Adams to surrender himself and pay his bond.”

“No sir. When we file charges we’ll obtain a warrant then arrest him and take him in for booking.”

“Then this interview is over, detective,” Sam Kassan said. “Good day.”

The detectives left the office and Sam indicated that I should stay quiet. We sat for a couple of minutes, and then he spoke.

“That’s what this is about. Making the arrest. I’ll bet you anything someone at the newspapers will be tipped off as well. And it’ll be somewhere reasonably prominent. Then, when the State’s Attorney declines to proceed, it’ll be on page 30, if they even bother to run the article at all.”

“So what can we do?” I asked.

“Not much. I’ll call my friend in the State’s Attorney’s office, but it’s the police who prefer charges in misdemeanor cases. There’s no indictment or grand jury hearing.”

“And you can’t stop this?”

He shook his head, “No, probably not. Usually, when there’s a misdemeanor arrest, they’ll just let you surrender. With this situation, somebody will be there with a camera for sure. Just make sure your wife or Kara have enough cash on hand for bail.”

“How much?”

“For a Class A? $1000 is the maximum.”

“We have that in the safe at home,” I said.

“OK. Go home. Make sure everyone has our phone numbers. I’ll give you my mobile number, and Melanie’s mobile number as well. I know you have her home number. When the detectives show up, just go with them. I’d suggest being dressed in comfortable clothes and slip-on shoes. That’ll make things easier. As soon as they book you, bail can be posted.”

“OK,” I sighed.

“Just hang in there, Steve,” Melanie said.

I nodded and after I shook hands with Sam Kassan, Melanie walked me out. I asked to use the phone and called the hospital to let Jessica know I wouldn’t be there, but she was busy so I left a message. Melanie gave me a hug after I hung up, and she encouraged me again. I took the elevator down, walked to my car, and headed to Hyde Park.

“Hi, Babe,” I said when I walked into the house.

“What’s going on?”

“Mrs. Lundgren escalated by getting the police to investigate me for adultery.”

“Seriously?”

“Yes. And Melanie and Sam Kassan think they’ll arrest me, but that there won’t be any prosecution.”

“Do you think Jeri could talk to her mom?”

“Maybe. But I don’t know what good it will do. And no, I don’t intend to terminate her. And I don’t want her to quit. Melanie and Sam say that nothing will really happen. I’ll be arrested, booked, and then you can bail me out. But they’re sure there won’t be a prosecution, and if by some outside chance there is, I won’t be convicted.”

“It’s a big risk, Tiger. I think we really need to talk about Jeri.”

“I know,” I sighed. “Let me think about it overnight, please.”

“OK.”

July 7, 1990, Chicago, Illinois

On Saturday morning, I had breakfast with the guys without incident, then went to karate class. I told Sensei Jim what was going on, though I limited the details, and explained that it was harassment by someone who was upset with me over a work issue.

He shook his head, “You keep finding new and interesting ways to get into trouble. Let me know what happens.”

I bowed and headed home for lunch. While we were eating, the doorbell rang.

“Do you think that’s the police?” Kara asked.

“I have no idea,” I said.

I went to the front door with trepidation, and when I opened it, there was only a woman with a file folder and a briefcase.

“May I help you?” I asked.

“Mr. Adams?”

“Yes.”

“I’m Jane Danforth with the Department of Children and Family Services. We’ve had a report of children living in a dangerous and unsafe situation. We’re required by law to investigate.”

“Ma’am, whoever made the complaint, I assure you that it’s false.”

“I’ll need to come in and see for myself,” she said.

“Do you have a warrant?” I asked.

“No, but I do have the authority to remove the children from the home immediately if you don’t comply.”

“Excuse me?” I said. “The Constitution requires you to have a warrant to enter.”

“But not to order your children removed immediately. I suggest you allow me to come in.”

“I will, but I’ll ask you to wait in the foyer while I verify what you’re saying with my attorney.”

I let her in and called for Elyse to come to the front door.

“Elyse, this woman claims to be from DCFS. Please wait with her while I call Gwen.”

I went to my study and dialed Gwen’s emergency number. The person who answered promised an immediate call back, and it came about 3 minutes later. I explained the situation.

“You don’t have much choice,” she said. “But I can’t imagine there are any issues. She can look through the house, but she’s only legally allowed to verify that the children aren’t in immediate danger. Nothing else.”

“Got it. Can she talk to them?”

“Yes, though I guess really only Jesse and Matthew could converse with her.”

“Probably.”

“I’m going to come over. I’ll be there in twenty minutes, which means she’ll most likely still be there.”

“Thanks, Gwen.”

“What’s going on, Steve?” Jessica asked.

“More harassment! And now I’ve had it. It’s time to fight fire with fire.”

“What are you going to do?”

“Let’s get through this first,” I said.

What I was going to do was put a stop to this once and for all. I knew how to do it, too. It would cost me, possibly a lot, but I didn’t care. Mrs. Margaret Lundgren was going to rue the day she messed with me. The problem was, I’d never be able to tell my wives exactly how I’d solved the problem. I went back to the front door with Jessica in tow.

“OK, Mrs. Danforth, my attorney says to allow you to check on the welfare of my children. What do you need to do?”

“I need to see where they sleep, play, and eat. I need to verify that you have sufficient food in the house. I need to verify that there are no unsafe conditions. And that there are no unsafe people. Let’s start with the names of all of your children, and the names of all the residents of the house.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.