Best Friends Forever
Chapter 18

Copyright© 2016 by Matt Moreau

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 18 - His best friend and his wife betray him to a degree that is truly beyond the pale, but...

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Romantic   Heterosexual   Tear Jerker   Cheating  

“Barbecue, what barbecue?” said Claire.

“The one I decided on today. Denise has a sister that’s had some very bad luck. So I invited the two of them to come to our barbecue.

“You know, we should try to get Jimmy to come too: he gets out of the hospital tomorrow. I’m going to be there to pick him up, and no he doesn’t know it yet. But I think that the news that a bunch of women will be at the barbecue would give him a chance to use his smeller some more. That might entice him. Whaddya think?” said Rod, he was smiling.

“Not funny, Rod. He was very rude to Roberta. To her credit she didn’t take offense, but he was a complete and total asshole if you know what I mean,” she said.

“This isn’t a matchmaking effort, well, it’s not planned to be. But it is a gathering. I know he’s lonely. Hell, he’s said as much and he’s said it often. I think it’s time to go to a full court press and get our guy to join the rest of the human race,” he said.

“Okay,” she said. “Who knows maybe he’ll propose to your secretary. Wouldn’t that be a kick in the ass. She is single right?”

“Yes, she’s single,” said Rod. “And if I didn’t mention it, so’s her sister. I haven’t met her, but according to Denise one of her sister’s biggest problems is that she’s down on men. A nasty divorce is what she told me. The asshole found his soulmate or so he told her, the sister, and needed a divorce,” he said.

He didn’t immediately comment on the look she gave him, but then he did. Her look communicated the undeniable fact that the man he was talking about sounded just like himself, Rodney Pollard. But of course in Rodney’s case he’d stolen his best friend’s wife. Not exactly the same thing, but close.

“Yeah, I know. The asshole does sound a lot like me,” he said.

“And me too,” said Claire. “So...”

“Nothing, but I did tell Denise that I would try to get her sister a job. She’s evidently been looking for one but without success. I’ll kind of quietly interview her. She just won’t know I’m doing it,” he said.

“Hmm, sounds like it’s going to be an interesting barbecue. But, you gotta be the one to get our guy to come. He’s not going to listen to me. You might want to take Rebecca with you too. That might get you over the hump with him so to speak,” she said.

“Yes, that’s a good idea. Yes, I will,” he said.


The two of them were fidgeting as they waited in the room assigned to the purpose for the escape of their recalcitrant family member, Jimmy “no legs” Clausen.

“Remember, honey he is your daddy,” said Rodney.

“Yes, dad, I know. And I like him too even if he doesn’t believe me,” said Rebecca. Her tone bespoke a feeling of exasperation, or maybe it was constipation; her de facto dad wasn’t sure.

“Honey, we have to get him to the barbecue this weekend, it’s critical. Okay?” he said.

“Okay, dad, but I don’t know why this particular barbecue is so darn important said his daughter,” she said.

“Just take it from me it is. Okay? I mean it, Becca. This is a time of turning points I can feel it. The man saved our lives. Whatever the cost, the rest of us, all of us, have to do what we can for the man. I know it’s going to be dicey, but you above all are critical to the whole thing. Okay?” he said.

“Okay dad, okay! Sheesh!” she said. He shook his head, but slowly. He was worried.

The two of them turned at the same time as the man was wheeled into the room.

“Daddy!” exclaimed Rebecca. She went to him and hugged him.

“Wow! I was told I had a visitor, but not two visitors,” I said. “Thank you for the greeting, Rebecca. It was nice.”

“Nice to you see you, friend,” said Rodney. I nodded. But I didn’t say anything.

“I’ve gotten permission to wheel you outta here right away if you’ll allow,” said Rodney.

“Really, and who gave you that permission,” I said.

“The head nurse actually,” he said, nodding toward the nurses’ station down the hall.

“Oh,” I said.

“Yes, well, you need a ride. Yeah, you could all a cab, I guess, but letting us drop you would save you a couple of bucks and give us a chance,” he motioned to himself and his daughter, “to talk a little. No pressure,” he said, “promise.”

The fact was it would save me a couple of bucks, accepting a ride from them. The fact was it would save me the best part of seventy-five bucks: Littleton was an almost two hour drive.

I nodded. “Okay,” I said. Rebecca being there decided me. Had it been just him I likely would have turned him down in spite of the cost of a cab but with her in the mix I’d be able to talk to her and not so much to him. That worked for me.

“Thank you,” he said. He came to the chair I was sitting in and took up wheeling duties for the ride down to the lobby and the exit. I was sure he had his car in the valet space waiting for me. Well, if the hospital had had a valet space he would have.

The fact was it didn’t have one, but I’m sure he would’ve found a way to accomplish the same thing. He did have the bucks to do whatever he wanted to do and get almost anything he wanted to get.

I nodded my thanks of his thanks.

He had an SUV waiting. Getting in was going to be a problem. Well, I thought it was going to be a problem, but then it wasn’t. The damn thing had an elevator built into the passenger side. Which allowed me to muscle myself into the elevator’s bench and after the three foot ride to the passenger seat I was able to slide in of my own accord and get situated.

He had to have had the damn thing made special. I’d never seen or even heard of anything like it.

“Nice,” I said.

“Thanks, I figured it would make things easier for me if not for you whenever you came over. You know when you finally get to the point where your insufferable pride would finally allow me to pick you up,” he said.

I didn’t answer him. My insufferable pride had nothing to do with things the way I saw them. It was more my overwhelming and undying rage at the betrayal of him and my wife that was getting in the way of allowing the things he wanted me to allow. Oh yeah! But for whatever reason I wasn’t going to get into any of that today. I wasn’t tired exactly. Well, maybe tired of being in bed so much and listening to the hospital shrink shrink me.

My system was clear of the drugs that had almost done me in. The cops, or the D.A. whichever, had had their day threatening me with jail time if I tried it again. Helluva thing laws against suicide attempts. Yeah, I just wanted to get out of there and get home and cook me up some grub that didn’t taste like hospital healthy! He must have been reading my mind.

“You hungry?” he said. I looked over at him. Rebecca intervened.

“Daddy, can we go to Denny’s?” she said. She was looking at me when she said it. That made up my mind for me.

“Okay, if your other dad’s got the cash. I’m a little short today,” I said.

“I got it,” he said. “Denny’s it is.” Rebecca smiled. I read it as a smile of pride that her other dad was rich, but I could’ve been wrong about that.

We were halfway through our patty melts when he hit me with it. I should have been expecting it or something like it but I wasn’t.

“Got a barbecue this weekend can I prevail upon you to come?” he said.

“Huh?” I said.

“Oh daddy, yes, please come, okay!” said Rebecca. I smirked. That’s why my kid was there. He knew I’d have a harder time turning her down, that even though I had told her I didn’t want to see any of them again including her. I smiled, and he caught it and realized that I’d caught him. His look told me he was expecting me to turn him down Rebecca’s presence notwithstanding.

“I guess,” I said. “I mean if I can bum a ride off of you. It’s too long a ride from Littleton in the van and too expensive.” The look on his face at my all too easy capitulation was actually comical.

“You got it,” he said. “You absolutely got it.” His happiness almost made me wish I’d turned him down. Happiness was not something I wanted to be party to supplying him with. But, I guess I was going to come to his little do. I could always call later and cancel. I wouldn’t but the possibility was mine if nothing else.

He promised to call with the details the next day. It was Wednesday, and it was August third, and it was turning into something I would not have guessed possible before my stupid attempt to off myself. The one thing that the shrink had given me was the realization that I had been stupid and that I had to stop living in the past, at least not so much of the time. That I would ever totally forgive or forget the dirty hand I’d been dealt by the dynamic duo was highly unlikely, as he said, but that didn’t mean I had to let it rule and ruin my life, what was left of it.

We talked quite a bit at Denny’s and much of my conversation was indeed with my daughter, the same girl that had held me to be such a pain in the ass not so long before. But if my conversation with Rebecca was long and friendly, and it was, the attention I was getting per that conversation from my ex-best friend was almost certifiable. I mean he looked to be analyzing me or, more accurately, my unstated motivation. We’d be talking soon him and me; I was sure of it. And it wouldn’t be me initiating the conversation, oh no, that would be him and it wouldn’t be long in the happening. I figured the barbecue on Saturday was likely.


He’d picked me up early in that same fancy dancy SUV with the elevator; well, it was kind of a long drive. Jesus I wish I had that car. Had to cost a ton even without the elevator which would have cost a ton in itself. I had to ask.

“So, Rodney, how much did a ride like this cost you if I may be so bold?” I said. He gave me a look.

“You don’t wanna know,” he said.

“Yes, I do,” I said, pushing it. He sighed.

“Two hundred,” he said.

“Huh? Two hundred dollars?” I said. My implied question was stupid, but it’s what he’d said, sort of.

“Thousand,” he said.

“Oh,” I said, suitably impressed. “Wish I could afford one. Hell I wish I could drive one,” and I laughed. “That elevator on the passenger side is real useful.”

“It has the same thing on the driver’s side,” he said. “Oh, and it has the capacity to install controls you could use to navigate around too.” Now I was really impressed.

“Yeah, now if I could only find me a couple hundred grand lying around somewhere,” I said.

“You could have this one if you want, James. You have to know I had it built to make things easier for you,” he said. I did know it. And, boy did I wish I didn’t. I didn’t respond to his obvious offer.

The drive to their place was kinda quiet after that, not silent exactly, but definitely quiet. And then we were there and getting out of the elevator and crossing the few feet of the hall to the Penthouse door. I was on my skitterboard. He paused before keying the door.

“Jim, just for today, okay if you transfer to the chair I’ve provided inside to get around. I mean just for today,” he said. I looked him askance, but nodded. It would be easier to socialize in the chair than on my board.

She must have heard the elevator coming up. She was waiting for us. And she was waiting with the chair. They’d obviously planned, and planned well. “I’m glad you decided to come,” said Claire. I hoisted myself into the chair. It was much the same as me hoisting myself onto my couch at home.

She was holding her wine, probably merlot I thought, and sporting and earnest expression as I made the transfer. “Jim, are we good?” she sure as heck wasn’t waiting to go through all of the niceties of greeting and settling down, not my Claire! I cut to the chase.

“I don’t know, Claire, things are kind of roiling around in my head. If you mean am I in control of my emotions now, well, I’m done with the suicidal stuff. If you mean am I good with you and him being together, rest assured I will never be good with that. Dealing with it? Maybe that but good with it, no,” I said. She nodded.

“Okay, I think I can understand where you’re coming from, Jim. And as I’ve said before I just hope that at some point you’ll find yourself a woman who you can love and help you to forget ‘me’ in those respects. I mean what Rodney and I did to you,” she said.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.