The Warrior Caught by Flowers
Chapter 20: A Cat’s Response

Copyright© 2016 by Adraine Farris

The demon snarled at his disappearing back, but took advantage of his momentary absence and Bells apparent distraction to try and attack her. It failed, and he ended up sprawled on the ground, whimpering with pain, ignoring the girl’s sad sigh and disappointed look.

Presently the big, orange and yellow cat came around the side of the building. Eigis sat up, brushing himself off haughtily and eyeing the feline curiously as it trotted up. He’d seen cats before of course, but had never really taken notice of them before, since they were neither prey or big enough to be a threat. Now however, he was interested to find out more about this creature that Bells and Hiryu claimed he resembled. In terms of appearance, he had to agree that its ears and whiskered face were similar to his, although much smaller and with shorter fur, and if this one had a long tail it would have resembled his.

Reaching the girl, the cat chirped in greeting, and twined around her legs and knees, purring. Bells laughed and, reaching down, stroked his back.

“Hello to you too, Goblin’s Death. I’m back, and ready to take you home.”

Then the cat noticed Eigis. He stiffened, amber eyes opening wide, all of his senses on high alert. All the fur from his shoulder blades down to the end of his bobbed tail puffed up, and he hissed, ears flat, crouched low, ready to attack, murder shinning in his eyes.

“Rrrowww-hisss!” The cat bared its teeth in a furious snarl.

Eigis’s response was just as quick. He crouched down on all fours, talons spread, ears flat and tail lashing, his stiff black hair standing up in all directions.

“Rrreeeowww!”

Caught off guard by their sudden fight, Bells simply watched, half fascinated, half afraid, as the feline stalked up to the angry demon, fur puffed, quivering, making itself as big as it could, not caring that his opponent was more than twice his size. He advanced, snarls rippling out of his throat, Eigis echoing him. They stopped, hardly three inches from each other’s faces, glaring at each other. The crackle of an impending fight electrified the air.

But then Goblin’s Death sniffed some more, and a puzzled look replaced his furious snarl. After a few minutes of considering, his fur flattened and he whisked around with a flick of his bobbed tail, nose in the air as if to say, Oh, I mistook you for someone important, like my own worst enemy. Guess I was wrong.

Eigis also calmed down and relaxed. Sitting up, he shook his head and stretched, wondering where that sudden hatred had come from, watching as the cat curled around Bells again, who looked relieved.

“You silly cat.” She told him, and petted him.

Goblin’s Death grinned smugly at Eigis, as if to say, See? She likes me better than you.

But the demon took no notice of this. Instead, a laugh made him turn, and he scowled as Hiryu came up with an armful of fire starting material, which he sat down inside the hut where a circle of stones and ashes marked where the cook fire had been.

“What’s so funny, human?”

Hiryu turned from going back to fetch some heavier logs. “Oh, nothing. Except I would say you were acting like an angry cat ready to fight just then.”

Even Bells had to laugh. “He’s right, Eigis. You were.”

The demon frowned, crossing his taloned hands over his chest. “Even so, while I might have some of the same characteristics, I am not that small, furry animal. I am a demon.”

“We know. We’re not arguing that. But really, there’s nothing wrong with being compared to a cat. Especially not some of the big wild cats. I’ll show you some sometime.” The girl promised.

Eigis was dubious, but decided not to press the matter. Instead he followed her inside and curled up against a wall and dozed; trying to think of a way to escape. He watched Hiryu covertly beneath lowered lids, hoping the young warrior would come close enough for him to try and snag with a talon. But Hiryu was busy with the fire, and the opportunity never came up.

“So, what are we having for lunch?” Hiryu asked curiously once he finally got the blaze going. “It doesn’t look as if you brought enough supplies for all of us.”

“Don’t worry,” Bells replied, holding up some heavy twine and a fish hook. “There’s a creek nearby. It shouldn’t take me very long, and if I have to, I’ll use my bells.” She thrust the chains into her brother’s good hand. “Here, hold him while I go fishing. If he manages to escape while I’m gone, I’ll make your ears bleed.”

Glancing at Eigis, who appeared confused, she grinned. “I bet you’ve never had fish before!”

“Come on, Goblin’s Death, let’s go.” The big yellow and orange cat yawned and stretched, then, once she was out of sight, followed her out.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.