My Journey - Book 3: Bows
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2016 by Xalir

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 1 - In the wake of Thanksgiving weekend, Matt's family learns to cope with the new reality as they clean up and face the aftermath of Exile. Follow Matt's road to recovery as they all wonder what comes next and dread the answer. Christmas is coming and each of them separately wonder whether it will be a time of celebration or mourning.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including mt/ft   mt/Fa   Fa/Fa   ft/ft   Fa/ft   Teenagers   Consensual   Romantic   Lesbian   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Fiction   Celebrity   Crime   School   Tear Jerker   BDSM   DomSub   MaleDom   Light Bond   Rough   Spanking   Group Sex   Harem   Polygamy/Polyamory   Interracial   White Male   Hispanic Female   Anal Sex   Analingus   Cream Pie   First   Petting   Pregnancy   Safe Sex   Squirting   Slow  

If there’s one sound I hate in all the spectrum of things that I’ve heard, it’s the beeping of a heart monitor. It’s not that they make the sound particularly grating, but it means that I’m back in a hospital. In general, THAT means I’ve done something stupid. Today was no exception. What I’d done was brave, and had probably saved some lives, but overall, it had been stupid. I should have run with the rest of them.

I wasn’t in any pain and that seemed like it was an improvement on most of my hospital experience. I looked around as much as I could and spotted what I was looking for. Hello, Morphine, my old friend. I was worried you wouldn’t come visit me this go-round. That seemed funny to me. I suspect that was Morphine’s fault. Someone must have sneezed when they were adjusting my dosage.

I looked around and thought this was a weird hospital. I had a window in my room, but it only showed another hospital ... or another part of this one. That thought tickled something, but the connection refused to click. That seemed abnormal to me. I was usually much more clicky than this. Was that a word? I’d have to check. Maybe I invented it. Was there a prize for that? I’d have to check. In thirty years, school children could be forced to learn the correct use and spelling of ‘clicky’ and they’d have me to thank. I felt particularly proud of the foundation I’d laid for entire generations of clicky people to feel like they finally had a word that did them justice.

I suddenly felt confused and looked around. Ah, Morphine. That explained it. The IV pump with the lock box to regulate how much happy I was allowed at a time was there to remind me that my brain got slower as the drip got faster. It was comforting to see it in a way. If I felt this good and there was no Morphine, then it probably meant I couldn’t be trusted with shoelaces or pencils for a while. If there was Morphine that meant I’d earned my trip here.

Where was here again? I looked around and saw the glass. I remembered seeing Jurassic Park once and this kind of reminded me of the ride they took where they looked into the labs. This one didn’t seem as interesting as that. There were some nurses. Not that nurses weren’t interesting, but they didn’t seem to be DOING much of interest. It wasn’t like they were THOSE kinds of nurses. Vaguely I started to wonder what nurses were doing on this ride. I looked around for some way to tell the ride operator that I wanted the tour to move along. “When do we see the dinosaurs?” I wondered out loud. Unfortunately there was no one around to answer me. I looked around again. Oh! Hello, Morphine. Have you been here this whole time? FABULOUS! Shall we go on adventure?

I closed my eyes and had an amazing time with sexy nurses, a heart monitor named George, my side-kick, Morphine and a roadster made entirely from refrigerators. At some point, I think we went over a waterfall in a men’s room, but that was silly. We could have just flushed the toilets.

When I opened my eyes again, there was someone messing around with Morphine. I didn’t know what they were doing, but Morphine didn’t seem to mind, so I let it ride. If Morphine was okay with this creep getting fresh, I wasn’t gonna grenade the party. I tried to pretend like I was asleep, but then I blinked my eyes and the creep was gone. Morphine was acting weird too, like nothing had happened, but I saw what I saw. Whatever. It wasn’t like I was gonna get in the middle of it.

I was bored. They could have at least given me a Slinky. Morphine wasn’t as much fun since Creep either. I wondered if I should bring it up or just wait and see if he did. George was only too happy to talk to me. I wished he’d shut the fuck up. Go get me some fucking toast if you wanna be my pal! Morphine ain’t gonna do it. Just standing there like an idiot, waitin’ for Creep to come on back and give out some cheap feels. Fuckin’ slut. Yeah, I’m talking about you! Me and George were talking. You fuck off and get your goodies out for Creep.

I settled down into a surly silence while George beeped happily for us to get along. I wished he’d shut the fuck up. I decided to take a nap and ignore the two of them.

When I woke up this time, I had a most disconcerting realization. There were ... PEOPLE out there. I wondered if this was some sort of zoo. The window ... the people ... The nurses could have been vets, I supposed. Was I still me or was I some sort of animal on display? Or was this some museum in the future. Was I on display as 21st century man? Was that it? I looked down at my arms and they were still arms. There were hands at the end of them. I presumed them to be mine. They would have been an odd addition to the exhibit if they weren’t.

I peered more closely at the people and they seemed excited to see me. I raised a hand tentatively and waggled the fingers on it. Yep. They were definitely mine. They appeared to be attached to a lot of the wires and tubes around me. Maybe I was frozen in ice until they thawed me out. That story sounded familiar. I’d read it somewhere when I was young. I remembered ... a badge? It was round and had a star. I frowned. Not a badge. A ... shield. I flinched. I didn’t want to think about that.

George was trying to tell me something, beeping faster. I looked at him and I couldn’t breathe. I tried to say something, but it was just a croak. I hurt. My chest wasn’t working right. George was screaming now faster and faster and then there was one long scream from him. I heard a hiss and the door was sliding open to let Creep into the room. She wasn’t alone this time and they seemed agitated about something, but I couldn’t think. Everything spun out of control and got dark again.

I was doing so well too.

“CLEAR!”


This time when I woke, I didn’t think about anything. Morphine was moving on with Creep. He was gonna ditch me. I guess that was okay. I mean it wasn’t like we were like THAT or anything, but I seriously hoped he’d take George with him. Miserable fucker ratted me out to Creep. I was gonna get him for that.

The zoo people were still there, but they didn’t look quite so thrilled this time. I guess the exhibit needed something to keep them coming back. Maybe a couple of things from the 21st century. The boy out of time was only so entertaining if you didn’t see him in his natural environment. I’d have to talk to someone about sprucing up the cage. I wasn’t talking to Creep though. Fuck that bitch and Morphine too.

I was gonna get in my roadster and hit the open road. Wasn’t taking Creep, wasn’t taking Morphine and I definitely wasn’t taking George. Rat ME out to Creep, will ya? Ha!

I went back to sleep for a while. Planning out my escape was exhausting.

When I woke this time, I was a little clearer. The previous observations seemed hilarious to me, but that might still have been the drugs. I could tell I was looking at a nurse’s station this time and I sighed with relief. I looked at the glass and I could recognize people this time. I waved a little and smiled, seeing Emma and Lana there watching me. I wondered how long I’d been out. I looked at the area around my hands and found the call button. I pushed it and waited.

When the nurse came to see me, I realized I might be worse off than I thought since she was dressed for surgery.

“Hi,” I croaked. “Are you allowed to tell me what’s going on, or do I need to talk to the doctor?” I asked. My voice was appalling to hear.

“Dr. Spencer and Dr. Forester are on their way up. We had them paged once you called for someone,” she told me.

This got worse and worse. “Samantha? She’s working on my case?” I looked down and started trying to pluck at the blanket to see what condition I was really in.

“Calm down, Mr. Russell. They’ll be here shortly to explain everything,” she tried to tuck the blanket back in which agitated me even more.

“Lady, Dr. Spencer REALLY didn’t warn you about me, did she?” I yanked the blanked back and looked down at myself, not able to make sense of what I was seeing. I’d never seen a wound packed open before. My hand fell back to my side numbly staring at the open wounds, the drains packed with gauze and tape, the bloody trickle slowly leaking from them and went into shock.

“I don’t think I should have seen that,” I said, my voice faint.

“It’s okay,” she said sympathetically. “Dr. Forester will explain. For now, just trust me, you’ll be as good as new before you know it.”

“Only if you turn the morphine back up,” I told her, still disturbed.

She chuckled at that and told me that she didn’t think I needed it if I wasn’t feeling any pain. She left and I was left with my own worried thoughts. I looked back at Lana and Emma and I could tell that they’d gotten a good look at what my blanket was hiding. I didn’t like the look on their faces.

I suddenly hoped that none of them were serious the times they’d teased me about leaving if something happened to my looks. Just the anxiety I needed.

A few minutes later, Victoria and Samantha entered the room, dressed in similar cap and gown outfits and masks. I was breathing very slowly, trying to control the terror running rampant through my skull.

“Feeling a little more lucid?” Dr. Spencer asked, coming to sit down.

“No!” I blurted out. “Why am I gutted like a fish?!!? What kind of surreal nightmare is this?!!?”

“Relax, Matt,” Samantha said sharply.

“I’m trying!” I said, on the edge of panic. “I just pulled back the blanket to look at something like out of a horror film. I’m a little out of my mind right now.”

“We packed your wounds and left them open in case we had to go back in. You were in bad shape when they brought you in. There’s a huge risk of post-op infection, so we keep the wounds open and sterile in case we need to do more surgery to chase down infection.”

I nodded, understanding, but still felt freaked out. “So how bad is it?”

They exchanged a look and that worried me. “It’s a good thing we kept you open. There was some infection we had to clean up. We also had an orthopedic surgeon come in to fix your shoulder at the same time since I was working on your belly. We had to do a bowel resection to clean things up. It was only a few inches. You won’t even know it’s gone, but the tissue was infected.”

I nodded. “So what happened? My memory is a little hazy from that night. How bad is everything?”

Victoria took over. “Vance shot you in the shoulder and the back while you were standing in your kitchen. The video showed all the rest of the injuries. Your left thigh, your left side, your abdomen and you caught a graze to your head. There was a sucking chest wound, some damage to the lung, but Samantha did an exceptional job saving the whole lung. Quite often a piece is removed when the injuries are that critical. You had some damage to your stomach, but that’s healing nicely and you should be on solid food before you become too whiny about wanting a steak. I’ve already spoken to Patty about your diet when your stomach can handle food, so you won’t be getting that steak any time soon.”

She smiled when she said it. I couldn’t see with the mask on, but I could tell from the way her cheeks moved behind it. “You’ve got extensive muscle damage both from the bullets and the surgery. Samantha minimized that as much as she could, but she was fighting the clock to get you stable before it was too late. Your shoulder is where you’re really going to be disappointed. You’re looking at months of rehab to get full use of it again. We repaired the injury as well as we could. Carl called in a favor to get you the best specialist he could find to do the surgery.”

I nodded. “Okay,” I said softly. It was a lot to process. “Who else got hurt?”

“Not a soul,” Dr. Spencer said sincerely.

“You mean Vance gunned me down and walked away? Come on! What happened?”

“Are you sure you’re ready for this?” she asked. I nodded and she took out her phone. It was in a plastic baggie to seal it from infecting me or the room. She loaded up the video for me and played it all the way through until I threw the shield. She paused it and I looked at her. “The next part is graphic,” she warned me. I just nodded and she let the rest of it play. My eyes widened as I watched myself pick up a severed head. I was about to ask if it was real when I turned to get my phone and I looked right into Vance’s slack face for a split second.

“Thank God!” I sighed, relaxing.

“Not the reaction I’d expected from you, given your history. Care to explain?”

“If he got up from that fight, I don’t even want to think of what he’d have done to the girls. That was my biggest worry. As far as I’m concerned, I just stepped on a cockroach. No remorse. He was gonna kill me and step over my dead body to rape my girls. I only wish it had hurt him more.”

“You decapitated a man with a blunt object,” she said dryly. “I doubt it was pleasant for him.”

I nodded. “How long before I can have visitors?” I asked, glancing at the glass.

“Tomorrow, I think,” Samantha said. “We’re taking you in for another surgery in about an hour and that’s going to be to seal the wounds except for the abdomen. That one we leave open for a while. It’s where most infection is likely to occur. After surgery, you’ll be out for a while. It’s late in the day anyway.”

“I should have just let you play with the strap-on,” I told her dryly. “I think this method of having you inside me is going to leave me far more sore and scarred.”

She chuckled. “Well, if you’re feeling well enough to flirt with me, then that’s a good sign. I promise, the next time you pull back the blankets, you won’t look like an Operation game.”

“What about scarring though?” I asked with some genuine worry. “Really?”

“Worried about how you look with your shirt off?” she asked.

“Frankly, yes. I have some of the most beautiful girls imaginable waiting for me. I don’t want ... I mean, I looked down and wanted to scream in horror.”

“You’re worried they’ll see you as less attractive because of the scars?” Victoria asked.

I shrugged, but then nodded. “Maybe that seems shallow, but I already feel like...” I couldn’t say it out loud.

“Like your relationships are all on borrowed time?” she finished and I nodded.

“It happens too much for me not to worry about it.”

“I know. I’d think you were suppressing if you hadn’t considered it. I’d give it some time before I worried about it though.”

“We’re gonna leave you alone for a while, but we’ll turn on the intercom so they can talk to you from outside. We’ve had it shut off while you were incoherent.”

I nodded and they left with a hiss of the door.

A few minutes later, there was a crackle from the speaker by the window.

“Matt?” Emma said softly. “Can you hear me?”

I smiled at her and nodded. “I can. How is everyone?”

“We’re all doing fine,” she said. “We’re way better now that you’re feeling better. Your fever was pretty bad yesterday.”

“What day is it?” I asked.

“Saturday.”

“Aw crap!” I said weakly. “I had class this morning and visit with Mom, this afternoon! Did someone tell her?!!?”

“Calm down,” she said soothingly. “Everything is fine. We went and saw your Sifu this morning. He already knew. It was on the news. Lana and I talked to your mother yesterday. She’s concerned, like the rest of us, but we’re keeping her updated.”

I nodded. “What did they say on the news?” I asked, reluctantly.

“That you’re a hero,” she told me with a smile. “We posted your video online. It’s gone NUTS. Everyone’s seen it. I mean EVERYONE. I got my mom to send it to everyone she knows in Hollywood. I checked your PayPal balance. I’m not even telling you. It’s a surprise for when you get home.”

I smiled again and chuckled a little. “How are the girls?” I asked.

“Are you kidding? They’re ecstatic! They’re all waiting until the 12th to give you a thank you that may put you back in here.”

“I doubt I’m gonna be in any shape for that any time soon,” I confessed. “Lana remembers how long Dr. Spencer took to clear me from a small incision. I’ll be lucky to be able to unwrap presents at Christmas, let alone girls.”

They both smiled at that, but all three of us were thinking about what was underneath the blankets.

“How are you two doing?” I asked. I was running out of things to distract the three of us.

“We’re coping, like all the other girls,” Lana said lightly. “It’s been pretty scary the past three days.”

I nodded. “I can imagine. I just saw the video for the first time. I don’t really remember that night. Don’t know if I’ll get it back or if it went in the same box as the last night I ended up here. That’s still missing in action too.”

“Just get better,” Lana said sympathetically. “We’ll worry about that night once you’re out of danger.”

I nodded. “How’s Lilly holding up?”

“She’s been staying with your father since that night,” Emma said and I sat up, grimacing as I became suddenly aware of my limitations.

“You mean you’re staying at the house alone?!!?” I asked, stricken.

“No!” she said quickly. “Lana and Becky and Tabby and Collie have been there all weekend. Calm down and lay back,” she urged me in soothing tones. “They’re making sure everything’s okay. Just relax. Everything’s fine. We’re all taking care of the house and each other.”

I nodded and calmed down some at that. “I kind of worry about you. There’s still one Waterman out there and I’m not convinced he’s gonna be any different than Vance was.”

“Worry about that later,” she advised.

“Get together with Dad and have a security system installed,” I said. “Flood-lights, door and window alarms, the works. There should be plenty of cash in my desk for that.”

“We already talked about it. We know you’re going to be laid up for months. I’m going to get a firearms license next week. We’ll have a shotgun in the house in case there’s another incident. Mr. Forbes promised to get the license pushed through as quickly as possible. It can take months normally, but with the special circumstances, he said that he’d see to it personally so we don’t get lost in paperwork.”

I nodded. “Okay. That makes me feel a little better. I still think we should get a security system, just in case.”

“We’ll get it handled,” she assured me and decided to change the subject. “So everyone’s looking to see you, but they only allow two people in at a time,” she told me.

“We should let everyone have a turn then,” I said. “I just want to put my arms around you, but I guess I’m held together by tape and wishful thinking at the moment, so the glass is probably for my safety right now. Just a few minutes each though. I go back to surgery soon.”

She nodded and they both blew me kisses before they left. Gina and Tricia came to the window next and asked how I was doing.

“I feel better than Vance, so I’m told,” I admitted with as much of a shrug as I could. “How’re you both handling everything?”

“Seriously?” Gina asked. “You’re in pieces and you’re asking about us?”

“It’s ... kind of worse than you know. I think Lana and Emma were horrified. I pulled back the blanket to see. It’s not pretty.”

“Show us,” Tricia said, her voice full of concern, but also certainty.

“I’d rather not. I go for surgery in a little while to close up some of the wounds. They’re open right now.”

“If you’re going through it, we need to see it,” she said firmly. I knew this tone.

“I don’t want you to ... I’m not gonna ... I won’t look the same...” I knew the morphine was keeping my thoughts jumbled and I resisted the urge to jab myself in the incision to clear my head.

“You don’t want us to see because you’re worried about how we’ll look at you after?” Gina asked and I nodded a little. “We’ll look at you like a hero,” she assured me. “Every one of those wounds is there because you stood between us and Vance Waterman. Just show us so we can deal with it together.”

I hesitated, but I finally showed them. I couldn’t look again, but I heard them gasp. “Oh my God, Matt! Does it hurt?” Tricia asked, stricken.

I rearranged the blanket and shook my head. I couldn’t look at them and put my head down, staring at my feet. “I’m not in any pain right now,” I said softly.

“Matt,” Gina said firmly. “Look at us.” I looked up and their faces were full of concern. Maybe that’s what I saw on Lana and Emma’s faces. I was in shock so I wasn’t really paying attention. “Neither of us care about the wounds. No one else will either. Anyone that does is gonna get scarred up themselves. We love you. We’re gonna go and let some other people see you, but we’ll all be back.”

I nodded and told them I loved them too. I saw Collie and Tabby next, Hanna and Beck, Dan and Patty, Dad and Lilly, Cheryl and her mother. I talked to parents of the girls and the girls themselves. Not everyone was there at this point of the day, but I had promises that they’d all be by to see me eventually.

Lana and Emma were back and had told me I’d said hello to everyone there by the time they came to take me for surgery. Samantha met me in the pre-op ward where I was being sedated.

“Could you have the Russell Suite prepared for my arrival?” I asked, sleepily. “Hot and cold running nurses and silk sheets this time. The cotton is so scratchy. A larger bed would be appreciated. The last one was only zoned for one occupant. Terrible way to spend a vacation.”

“I’ll see what we can arrange for you, Your Highness,” she said dryly. “For now, just count down from 100 for me.”

“One hundred nurses,” I started, obediently with an insolent grin. “Ninety-nine nurses. Ninety-eight nur ... nursss...”


I opened my eyes and wondered what time it was. I looked around and didn’t see anyone at the glass. “Must be night,” I mused and thought about trying to go back to sleep. I was restless though. I felt like that condition was going to end terribly for me. Boredom and fragility were a poor combination.

I pulled back the sheet and looked down. Some of the incisions were covered with bandages, but the abdominal wound was still packed open. It looked terrible and I was still disturbed by the sight of it. I sighed with some relief and covered the mess again before hitting the call button.

It was a few minutes before a nurse came in and I asked her how the surgery had gone.

“From what I read in your chart, there were no complications. You’re going to be moved later today now that there’s less chance of infection and you’ll be allowed to have visitors.”

That was going to be something to look forward to, at least.

“Do they know when I’ll be back on solid food?”

“It’ll be a little while,” she said evasively. “You’ll be on a modified diet when you do get to eat. It’ll be much smaller meals more often.”

“Next question is, what time is it?” I asked.

“It’s shortly after 7AM. Dr. Forester should be in to see you soon. As soon as she’s satisfied with the results of your surgery, we’ll be able to move you to your new room and you can have visitors.”

“Sounds good. Thanks.”

“Anything we can get for you?” she asked.

“I’d love to have my computer, but I’ll have to wait for that. Will I be able to use electronics in my room once I’m moved?”

“You should be fine, but you’ll have to discuss it with the doctor and the nurses in your new home.”

“Okay. Hopefully I’ll have something to do later today. Thanks.”

She patted my good shoulder and left me to my own devices for a little while. I was going through my memory of Wednesday trying to dredge up a memory of my own from that night. I knew from previous experience that the memories weren’t likely to come back this way, but I tried to piece together what I could of that night. I WANTED those memories back.

I was interrupted by Samantha coming to check on me. I smiled at her and we chatted a bit as she checked things over.

“I did what I could to minimize the scarring,” she assured me. “Most people won’t care about the scars. Put some faith in your girls. They’ve been like a force of nature keeping everyone together.”

I nodded. “They said they’d get through it with me for the most part.”

“For the most part?” she asked, surprised.

“I didn’t exactly bring it up with everyone. I’m trying not to think about it all that much.”

“For now, that’s not so bad. How’re you feeling other than anxiety over scarring?”

“I dunno,” I admitted. “The morphine’s keeping the pain at bay. I’m still not comfortable with the abdominal wound. How long is that gonna be open?”

“A couple of weeks,” she told me gently. “Abdominal wounds tend to cause infection. All the stomach acid and the sludge from your bowel got into your abdominal cavity. It’s like painting your insides with the worst poison possible. Your digestive system is usually sealed to prevent that from happening, but bullets don’t generally respect ‘do not enter’ signs.”

I nodded. “So you keep it open in case I develop worse symptoms and need to be hosed out with peroxide to kill the infection.”

“Not precisely what we do, but we’ll keep a close eye on you. I think you can look forward to staying with us for at least a week and probably two while we treat you for infections. Your fever is under control, but you’re still in guarded condition. I’ll be in to see you every day and so will Victoria. We’ll get you back on your feet.”

“I’m worried about my arm right now,” I told her. “When can I start work on it?”

“I’ll send over the physiotherapist to start with a consultation later today. Don’t push it though.”

“I won’t. Hanna might want to take over that part of my recovery. That’s her career path. She didn’t want to work with a lot of trauma victims, but I’m hoping she makes an exception for me.”

“I’m sure she will,” she said comfortingly. “I’ll clear you to be moved to a new room and you’ll be able to have some visitors.”

“More than last time?” I asked hopefully.

“Three at a time and no one in bed with you,” she said sternly.

“Not even you?” I asked teasingly.

“You’ve got a lot of work before you’re up to that kind of therapy,” she said sharply and slapped my good shoulder. “Behave or I’ll swat you on the other one.”

I chuckled a little. “Clear me for four people at once? They never bug me and last time I was in, it was like playing musical chairs even when they let me sneak a third person in. You have my word that I’ll let Emma clear them all out if I start getting tired or overwhelmed.”

She thought about it for a long moment and then nodded. “I’ll be speaking to your girls to let them know to keep things calm and relaxing.”

“And I’ll make sure to have Victoria talk to them about things that are likely to irritate me rather than relax me,” I promised. “Will I be able to have my phone and laptop in the new room?”

“Yeah. You’re off the ventilator and the heart monitor won’t be interrupted by either of those.”

“That’s a relief,” I said with a sigh. “I was worried I was gonna be bored out of my mind. There are only so many books I can read. I guess with my arm like this, it’ll be hard to hold the bigger ones.”

“You should have a tablet for reading e-books,” she said lightly.

“I have one, but it’s home too.”

“Once you’re in your new room, we’ll make arrangements for you to call home and tell them what to bring you.”

I nodded. “I suppose a bag of chocolate bars is out of the question?” I asked, kidding.

“We’ll try you on some simple broth later today,” she told me. “If that doesn’t upset your stomach, Victoria assures me that your personal nutritionist will make sure you follow your meal plan. Until then, you’re only allowed a very small amount of ice chips to moisten your throat.”

I nodded. “I didn’t expect that I’d be eating anything solid really,” I assured her. “I’m not really all that hungry yet. I’m sure that I’ll be famished before too long, but right now, I’m still aware that I’m uncomfortable. Not in any pain, but aware of where the pain should be.”

“We’ll keep you pretty high for the next few days,” she said. “When Victoria thinks you’re ready, she’ll start to cut it back a little until we find a balance we like.”

I nodded. “Not my first time with a morphine pump,” I said lightly. “She’s usually a little more generous than I prefer.”

“Really? Most people want more juice,” she commented.

“I find it sort of cripples me mentally,” I told her. “I’d rather be in pain than unable to think. It’s kind of like trying to run a marathon with a boat anchor. I feel so slow.”

“Do yourself a favor this time and be comfortable with slow. Your body needs to heal and the morphine helps your body relax so it can focus on that,” she said. “You don’t need to be a genius in here. This is the one thing that being smarter doesn’t fix for you.”

I nodded. “Fair enough. I just hate feeling out of it. I’ve already lost all day yesterday, all of Thursday and Friday and I might not get Wednesday night back either.”

“I understand,” she said. “Given the choice between high or alert, I think it’s admirable that you choose alert. I’m telling you though that you need to choose high for the next couple of days. I’m gonna go and get your chart updated and I’ll stop by your room later to see how you’re settling in.”

She patted my arm and then she slipped out of the room, the door hissing as she did. I drifted back to sleep at some point and woke with two orderlies wheeling me through the halls. I looked around with some interest and chuckled to myself when they actually had me back in the room I’d occupied twice so far. I hadn’t considered that they’d actually have this room.

As soon as they were out of the room, there was a nurse there, getting me set up. She arranged the IV stands, the morphine pump and put the call button where I could reach it. I thanked her and went back to sleep for a little while.

When I woke up again, I wasn’t alone. I blinked away the sleep and smiled a little. Emma had one hand and Lana had the other. Tabby and Collie were sitting beside them, boxing me in.

“Hi,” I said softly, smiling as I fought my way back to consciousness. I gripped their hands weakly, just to feel their fingers in mine.

Emma leaned over and kissed me lightly, her lips barely brushing mine. “How’re you feeling?” she asked.

“A little more completely assembled,” I admitted. “They have to leave the abdominal wound open in case infection sets in. The rest of it is closed up though. How are things going at home?” I asked.

“We’re managing,” she said, patting my hand. “There are a lot of people leaving things on the lawn.”

“Like what?” I asked, confused.

“Flowers, cards, they’re lighting candles, a few people have left small gifts. It’s the kind of thing that you see when people want to reach out, but they don’t know any other way. Reporters have been asking for interviews too. They’re parked out front of the house.”

“Slow news week?” I asked, surprised that they were still watching the house four days later.

“Maybe, but this is big news. It’s like something out of a movie. They’re reporting everything they can find out about you. The Halloween video has spiked again. The clip from Wednesday night is viral. Everyone’s talking about you.”

I nodded. They’d put my name out there hard. “So what happened? Why did you put the clip out so fast and so hard?”

“The Watermans were threatening a wrongful death suit. I needed to make sure they didn’t paint you as a dangerous psychopath, so we got the truth out there.”

“Did someone call you to bring my computer?” I asked, wanting to see the clip again.

Lana nodded and let go of me so she could set it up for me and plug it in. She ran an Ethernet cable too since the hospital wi-fi was weak. I thanked her and logged in to watch the video including Emma’s introduction. I was quiet while I watched the updates Emma had been posting, read endless pages of Twitter posts, checked CNN for the news and then sat back.

“Wow!” I said softly. “I suppose I should let people know I’m alive and getting well.”

“Later,” Lana said emphatically. “Most people won’t even be awake on the west coast. Save it for about an hour and spend some time with us.”

I nodded and smiled. “That sounds like a much better idea,” I admitted. “Look, I’m gonna be a little ... off for the next few days. Samantha wants me to lean on the morphine a little more than I normally would to get through this. She says that it helps with the healing process and I’m following doctor’s orders. I just wanted to warn you in case I start getting loopy.”

They all understood and we had a pleasant visit. About an hour later, Lana asked me if I knew what I wanted to say.

I thought about it and nodded. “I think so. Let’s start the camera and see what I come up with. Is my phone here?”

Emma handed it over and I took it gratefully. “You missed several calls, but I think they’ll likely call back when they see you’re awake.”

I nodded and took a deep breath before starting the camera. “The rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated,” I said lightly. “Well, maybe not greatly, but I’m very much alive. Right now I’m held together more by sutures than sinew, but I’m starting to recover. I’m still fighting post-operative infections and an unexpected sneeze could undo hours of surgery, but I’m holding on.”

I looked down at my right shoulder, the bandages were clearly visible since I wasn’t wearing a shirt. “I’m told I have months of therapy if I want to use my right arm again. I thought sincerely about skipping out on that therapy to give Chris Evans a fighting chance on April 2nd, but after seeing the footage, it looks like my left-handed aim is just as good, so I might as well do the rehab.”

I smiled a little and continued. “All kidding aside, something terrible happened on Wednesday night. I was forced to take a life. I have no doubt in my mind that I was going to die if I hadn’t found a way to end it there. I also have no doubt that other people would have suffered if I hadn’t. I’m told that there’s been some thought of laying the blame for that attack on my shoulders. I honestly don’t know how I could have done anything any different. I was dying. I had a punctured lung and a sucking chest wound. What I’m about to show you is graphic and isn’t for the faint of heart.” I looked around the room and then pushed the blanket down to my waist so the camera could see the tubes and bandages and the wound that was packed open.

“My surgeries aren’t done yet. My doctors tell me that the abdominal wound will be open for a couple of weeks while they ensure I don’t develop more infection.” I covered up again and looked back at the camera when the blanket was arranged. “I shared that with you because I’m kind of a little freaked out by it myself. I’m torn open to my core. I’m battered and bleeding, but not broken. I’ll be on the Boston Commons on April 2nd wearing the mantle of Captain America, like I promised. Hopefully I can find out who’s holding onto my shield before then. Speaking of that shield though, I need to thank Mark and Charmaine Harrison for making it for me. It’s saved my life more than once and it’s saved the lives of the people I love more than once. I’m forever in your debt for it. I can’t wait to tell you that in person.”

I knew my voice was trembling and I wanted to sign off quickly, but there was one more thing I wanted to say. “Some people are calling me a hero. As you can see, I don’t look much like one right now. I don’t particularly feel like one. I’m just grateful that all my loved ones are safe. If you’re confronted with someone in your home, escape if you can. What I did was incredibly brave, but I very nearly died. Don’t let that be you. Be safe. Things can be replaced. You can’t. I can’t. Go home, hug someone you love and be young. Emma’s right. Tell them you love them. Don’t let it go unsaid. Even if they know, tell them anyway. You might not get the chance to tell them again. Each chance is precious.” I paused and looked around at the four of them. “I love you all,” I told them before looking at the camera again. “I love all of you too. Stand with Cap.”

I shut off the camera and asked them if they thought it sounded dumb. “Like I said, the morphine hurts my judgment. Wadda you think?”

“Post it,” Lana said and they all nodded.

I uploaded it and then shared the link on Twitter, marking it #StandwithCap.

It was ten minutes later when my phone rang. I looked at it and smiled a little. It was Chris Evans. I put it on speaker. “Hi,” I said, my voice sounding a little hoarse. The video was the most I’d spoken since I woke up and it had pushed me pretty hard.

“How’re you feeling?” he wanted to know.

“Morphine’s keeping me company, so overall, not as bad as I could be feeling. I kind of flipped out when I first saw the wounds. They were all open yesterday. That’s not something you ever want to see on your own body.”

“I can imagine,” he said softly. “Are you sure you’ll be okay with April 2nd? I mean, you’ll be recovered by then?”

“I dunno,” I admitted. “I doubt there’s much chance the old wounds are gonna break open and spill me all over the course, but whether I’ll be done with rehab by then, who’s to say?”

“We shouldn’t do this if we can’t do it safely,” he said, concerned.

“Don’t worry about it,” I assured him. “I have a personal trainer, nutritionist, physiotherapist, acrobatics coach, combat trainer, historical weapons expert, master craftsman, a surgeon and two other doctors all working to put me back into shape. If they don’t certify me as medically able to compete, we’ll figure out something.”

“Seriously? You hired a team of ten people to make sure you kick my butt for charity?”

“Not all of them. Some of them are hired, others are in it for the curiosity and others are loved ones, but yeah. Ten people. That’s not even counting Emma who’s the best publicist anywhere and all the other people who give me their support.”

“So I guess I should go back to the gym then,” he said with a laugh. “Call me once in a while and we’ll compare progress. Hang in there and I’ll see you soon, Cap.”

“Thanks, Cap,” I said with a grin I knew he could hear.

After that, the girls decided to swap out for a bit. Beck replaced Lana, Tricia replaced Emma and Patty and Dan came in with them. Everyone was really happy to see me awake and aware and the day passed relatively well. A few times, I had to stop the flow of visitors to take a nap for an hour as I started getting sleepy. True to my word, I let Emma clear them out and she sat quietly with me while I slept.

I was surprised when late in the day, DA Forbes arrived to speak to me. “May I have a moment alone with you, Matthew?” he asked when he arrived.

I nodded hesitantly and Emma left us alone after giving me a searching look.

He took a seat next to me and gave me a comforting smile. “I promise, this isn’t going to be an upsetting visit. It might even give you some cause to relax. I wanted to let you know that there will be no charges laid against you for Wednesday night.”

I blinked at him and my surprise must have shown on my face.

“Normally,” he explained, “there would be some formal charges, if not for the death then for the rather gory method that Vance came to his end. The video and your injuries though are enough to convince everyone involved that you were in the right to act as you did.”

I nodded. “I appreciate you telling me that in person. Any word on the wrongful death suit from the Waterman family?”

“Well, your lawyer had a word with their legal team and they were made to understand that the lawsuit wasn’t likely to succeed. They were also told that since Vance’s actions were criminal and had caused you grievous injuries, that you were well within your rights to counter-sue them for your injuries. They withdrew all their legal objections after that, so I’m told. Howard, your lawyer will likely be in to talk to you in more depth later in the week.”

“Well, that’s good news. Now all I have to do is worry about Patrick deciding that a bigger gun is the solution.”

“That’s not likely to be a problem either. Some of your girls came forward. They said they’re willing to testify against Patrick.”

All the blood drained out of me. “No!” I said softly, knowing how hard that would be on them. “That trial is gonna be too much for them!”

He held up a hand and tried to soothe me. “We’re only talking right now,” he said softly. “I intend to offer him a package deal for the whole mess and before you start getting worked up about it, let me tell you what I’m going to offer him.” He paused to make sure that I wasn’t going to interrupt and nodded. “So the plea deal is that he names all the other people involved in planning it, carrying it out, all the boys who paid to be there, his drug supplier and who Vance would have gotten the gun from. In exchange, instead of him getting charged for the whole shooting match, we charge him for one count of rape on each of the sixty victims, one count of human trafficking each, trafficking and unlawful confinement. He serves life in prison with no parole for twenty years and instead of us putting all the charges on him and sending him to general population, he goes to a prison specifically for protected custody prisoners. He’ll be charged as an adult and he’ll be registered as a sex offender for the rest of his life. As part of the package, we also get Marlene Garrett,” he pointed out. “We also get to charge the rest of the boys and between his testimony and the girls’, they’ll all do time and have to register.”

I was surprised by how complete a deal it was. “You think he’ll take it?” I asked.

“Hard to say. He’ll be tried as an adult and his name will be all over the papers if he doesn’t. He’ll go into general population where the inmates will know he raped underage girls. He’d be dead before he was in for six months and it’ll be a miserable six months of rape and beatings.”

“I hope he doesn’t take the deal then,” I told him. “You have enough to get the rest of them without him.”

He nodded. “We do, but I’d rather save the taxpayers a lot of money. He’d serve the same amount of time, but his time will be less violent than if he goes through the trial.”

I nodded. “So long as he’s off the streets, that’s the most important thing,” I said with a sigh. “Any other good news for me?”

“I’ve been asked several times how your shield is,” he told me. “It’s fine and we’re working on getting it processed so we can get it back to you. You should know that Vance was dead before he hit the ground. When you threw your shield at him, it shattered the front of his skull and turned his frontal lobe into hamburger. He wasn’t getting up. I sincerely hope you never have to take that thing off the wall again.”

I nodded and agreed. “It was never meant for what I put it through. Are there gouges in it from the bullets?”

“There are a couple of dings, but I’m told that it performed like it was made for combat. Your friends made it out of air-frame aluminum, you said.”

I nodded. “That’s what they told me. I know that there are a lot of different types of aluminum and some of them are made for armor. Maybe they got a piece of that instead.”

He nodded and told me to get well and that an officer would probably come by in the next few days to get a statement from me about Vance’s death.

“I dunno how much I’ll be able to help,” I admitted. “My memories of that night are pretty jumbled. I’m starting to get bits back, but only a little at a time.”

He nodded. “Then tell him that. Fortunately the video and everyone else all agree on what happened.”

The next week was a jumble like that. There were visits from officers, my Sifu, family, friends, some of my professors and students from Harvard, even Zoe, to my surprise. I even got a visit from my beach disciple whose name was Tony and had recognized me on the news. He wanted to tell me how much his life had changed and thank me for helping him get things in perspective.

“You changed my life, bro. Anything you need, ever, just call me and I’m there,” he said, shaking my hand before he left. I noticed he had a pair of pretty girls with him and I smiled.

“That was him?” Emma asked when he’d gotten onto the elevator.

I nodded and chuckled a little. “Yeah. That was him. He’s changed a lot. I’m glad for him. It’s also proof that people can cross my path and walk away changed for the better.”

“Worried about that?” she asked shrewdly.

I shrugged. “A lot of people have gotten hurt since this summer.”

“Most of them would have been hurt anyway. You just happened to be in the middle of that,” she pointed out. “Vance only got hurt because he was stupid.”

I nodded. “Have you found out which of the girls came forward to talk about what happened with the police?”

“Most of them, actually. There were a few that didn’t want to have their names attached to it in the news, but most of the girls by far are willing to put up with the consequences.”

“I kind of wished they hadn’t,” I admitted. “They don’t need to put themselves through that.”

“They did it for you,” she said. “After what happened to you with Vance, they don’t want you to have to face Patrick. You nearly gave your life to protect them. That made them want to protect you.”

“That’s humbling,” I admitted. “I won’t try to talk them out of it, but I do want to thank them when I get out of here.”

“Why wait?” she asked.

“I don’t want to do it a few at a time and I don’t want to do it when they might be around girls who didn’t come forward. They all had their own reasons for speaking up or not. Once I’m out, I’ll want to know who came forward and who didn’t.”

“All the cheer girls came forward with one exception.”

“Jessie?” I asked.

“And you said the morphine would make you slow,” she said, delighted.

I chuckled and shrugged. “It’s not that big a leap of logic,” I pointed out. “She’s the one no one trusts. She’s out for herself. Protecting someone else wouldn’t have occurred to her. I’m guessing Cheryl didn’t come forward for the exact opposite reason.”

That got her attention. “How’d you guess?” she asked, surprised.

“She’s only been here once,” I said. “She probably has a case of the guilts. See if you can get her to come in so I can talk to her about it.”

She nodded. “I’ll get Tricia to bring her. She’s close to her.”

It was two more days before I saw Cheryl slip into the room to talk to me. Emma was off at home, studying for finals and I was alone for the moment, catching up on classwork. I looked up and saw Tricia curl her fingers at me from the door before closing it so we could be alone.

“Hi,” she said quietly and sat down.

“Hi,” I smiled and pushed my laptop away to where I could reach it again when I needed it. “Thanks for coming. How’re you doing?”

“I dunno. Good, I guess. How’re you?”

“I’m still on more morphine than I like so I feel pretty high a lot of the time,” I told her. “That keeps the pain off my mind, but also keeps my mind running on a tangent. Did Tricia tell you why I wanted to talk to you?”

She shook her head.

“Okay. I know that a lot of the girls came forward to talk about what happened and that you didn’t,” I started. “I wanted to tell you that you made the right decision.”

She looked at me, surprised. “But I didn’t come forward!” she said, not understanding.

“That’s right and I agree with you doing that. You weren’t afraid of being mistreated. You stayed out of it so your baby would never find out what happened, right?”

She nodded reluctantly. “How’d you know?” she asked.

“I understand people,” I said lightly. “I knew you’d only been to see me once. I figured you were feeling down about something and when I found out about people coming forward, I guessed that’s what it was.” I reached out and took her hand. “You did the right thing. Protecting your baby is the most important thing you could do. You’ve decided to keep her?” I asked.

She nodded. “My parents are okay with that. They’re considering how best to set up the house. It’s not exactly a huge place.”

I nodded. “Once I’m back on my feet and have the use of both hands, I’ll help,” I told her. “I was planning to learn carpentry anyway. This is a perfect opportunity to perfect some wood-working so I can help you get furniture for the new tyke.”

“No!” she said, stricken. “You’ve done so much already! You can’t!”

“Shhh,” I soothed her, squeezing her hand. “I’m only offering to do what I can. If I can’t build you a crib, I’ll buy one and put it together for you. You’ll need all the help you can get while you get set up and settled.”

She still looked distraught that I was doing too much. “I’m sorry I didn’t come forward,” she told me.

“I’m not,” I retorted. “You protecting your baby is WAY more important than adding your voice to sending Patrick to jail. Let the other girls carry that torch. You just continue being the best mom you can for that little girl.”

She smiled at that and relaxed, grateful for the support. We settled into a very pleasant visit after that and she promised to come visit me more often.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.