Castaway: Fearless - Cover

Castaway: Fearless

Copyright© 2016 by Feral Lady

Chapter 15

“I am sure Count Vee will leach out all the information he can from Minetos, while we have a short chat together,” Princess Wyrd announced. “I have a house full of worried people that need my attention and reassurance. However, your presence here with the Count is a puzzle piece that needs understanding.”

“I don’t know if we are a piece of your puzzle. It seems we are more likely a flower bouquet to provide his presentation with a honeysuckle scent,” Julie responded, moving over to stand by our hostess. “He called in a favor from Lady Derwen. Her shipping line and mercenary company work out of Conquest Point.”

“And they work here too,” Princess Wyrd interjected.

I decide to stand up and stand next to Zetia, who whispered. “You smell better than flowers.”

The Princess smirked at her, but focused on my wife.

“He is mixing the goodwill and solid history of your relationship with Lady Derwen Solon, Von’s most prominent wife, with his interests,” Julie continued. “It is smart politics, highlighting our mutual interests and intertwining purposes.”

“We’re mutual neighbors?” I suggested, but it didn’t quite sound right. “Trusted business associates in the same sphere of interest?”

“Something like that, I suppose,” Princess Wyrd granted, giving us a calculating look. “Yet, Lord Solon, you may be the missing puzzle piece I need. I must alter the landscape my naughty brother, the Black Prince, wants to paint.”

“How so?” I asked. “I’m only a tourist here, spreading goodwill.”

The Princess rolled her eyes at me. “In my domain you are what I say you are.”

“She has you there,” Julie mocked, conspiratorially.

“You will help me, and I will make it worth your while. A transaction has to be fair to all, if it is to build a relationship,” Princess Wyrd stated. “You sell goods and services to support your clan, and I’ll open my market to you. What you sell from your estate in Convey and your holdings in Juniper Hills can be sold here. I can’t waive the royal tax or docking fee for goods sold to merchants, but I can waive them for sales to my estate. You help me, and then you’ll better support your growing ... family through this prosperous province. A warm relationship with a rich neighbor can warm both our beds.”

“He is the best bed warmer,” Zetia crowed, before slapping her hands over her mouth. This wasn’t the first time her barracks language was inappropriate.

The Princess just took a deep breath and acted like nothing had been said about me.

“Zetia, what house secrets will you give up next?” Julie teased. “That you are learning magic from us?” Zetia intertwined her hands nervously, while looking down.

However, our hostess drilled inquisitive eyes into Julie, clearly interested in the last comment. Before I knew what was happening, Julie had unclipped her PDA. I really didn’t want her to show the foreign dignitary anything important.

“How about we make an instant portrait of you?” Julie asked, tapping in her security code and applying her biometric reader. Hitting the photo app, Julie snapped a shot.

The camera’s flash startled the Princess and she swayed in fright. “What, what...”

I steadied her. Julie turned the view screen to face Wyrd. The Princess leaned into my body and I held her, as she worked through her full range of feelings — surprise, fear, curiosity, and finally unguarded interest. The high-resolution, color picture captured the woman’s striking appearance. Julie pushed a button and a wallet sized photo was produced. After taking a moment to adjust her dress, Wyrd accepted the photo.

“Moon Mother Magic from a wizard’s tool,” Zetia explained.

“He does smell nice,” Princess Wyrd commented.

“What?” Zetia asked, not following the direction of the comment.

Flipping the photo over and over, from front to back, the Princess just looked at the miracle in her hand. “Incredible.”

Julie looked pleased. She reattached the PDA to her waist clip. In the moment, I let my imagination run. I savored the pleasing feeling of comforting and protecting Wyrd.

“I don’t feel diminished, so I doubt your magic has harmed me,” the Princess surmised, but she looked more displeased as she further processed her break in decorum.

“No, no, it does not work that way. I assure you. If you want, you can take my image,” Julie quickly responded, stepping forward.

Princess Wyrd’s face softened at the offer. In fact, she waved Julie back. “Minetos had mentioned rumors of a true, magic-wielding man in the Great Marsh on the coast. Indeed, they were some very big tales.”

When I crossed my arms defensively, Julie’s scheming seemed to propel the Princess’s inquiry forward, and I didn’t like the direction it was going.

Julie jumped in. “My husband protects his wives and his people with everything he has. He is a warrior. A few of us know the full range of his resources because we have similar training. Access to his best magic is limited to his clan.”

“To his women,” the Princess added.

“You understand perfectly,” Julie answered. “The image in your hand is yours to keep, a token of friendship. We have never given such a gift before.”

“Why give it to me?” Princess Wyrd asked.

“Ask yourself, what did Lady Derwen see in my husband? What do I see in my husband?” Julie asked.

Princess Wyrd went nose-to-nose with Julie. “Power.”

If the Princess leaned any closer she would be kissing my wife.

Julie laughed and pointed at me. “It is not power or money that his women chase after, even though it comes with him. Material things crumble, but providing my children a legacy of character, protection and opportunity. That is a mighty legacy to reach for and accumulate. His wives intend to accumulate a rich treasure house of children. I am not the foremost wife, but I have no rival and neither do his other women. I will tell you his greatest secret...”

Zetia injected. “You forgot faith. He is a guardian of the faith. Moon Mother fosters love and spreads more new life where it is deserved.”

“Babies,” I thought. “She means babies.” I felt the entire discussion had spun-out of control and off-track.

“I know the basic tenets of your religion, but I am not a follower. I haven’t endorsed any specific religion,” the Princess quipped. She stopped and considered something for a moment, transferring her gaze back to Zetia. “Then again, I didn’t believe in magic, until now.”

“We’re not here to proselytize. However, these two happen to be passionate women,” I commented and Zetia snorted her agreement.

“I was asked to join the Count’s mission and advocate for the trade deal, and Julie joined me for the excitement of visiting a new land. Zetia started out as the liaison between Derwen’s mercenary company and the mission, but she has become so much more. And then, having to fight a few Raiders was a surprise, and yes, I endorse using them as fertilizer.

“It was nice meeting you. Thank you for your time.”

“What about the trade deal?” The Princess widened her stance and put her hands on her hips.

“It’s a seductive offer, but at what cost? To be honest, we don’t have a shortage of market places because our production is currently limited,” I challenged.

Julie was smirking behind our hostess and I immediately wondered if I’d screwed up. My women were smart and cunning, often a step or two ahead of me. Furthermore, most of them had access to the PDAs, which could have facilitated conversations among them. “Did they anticipate my attitude and response to the Princess?” I wondered.

“This is not court. My master and mistress speak plainly,” Zetia announced, stepping closer to me. I took her hand and gave it a soft squeeze of approval.

“My husband collects friends, people he likes. Friends don’t use friends, but friends help friends, willingly,” Julie said earnestly. “We didn’t come here for trade deals.”

“Well, I never...” The Princess blurted out a stunned response. Her voice was almost tired sounding, like another surprise among many. She looked worn down in the unguarded moment.

Julie smiled and touched the Princess’s hand to placate her. “Think about it, I wasn’t kidding. The image in your hand is truly an extension of our friendship, given freely. It’s a unique gift.”

“To curry favor,” Wyrd answered tautly, overriding any sensible diplomatic negotiation protocol.

Zetia shook her head disapprovingly. Julie’s sigh gave our hostess pause. I looked at them in turn trying to understand the unspoken dynamic that was in play between their words. Comparing and understanding the Princess’s royal upbringing against a highly-decorated marine with a modern education and a homegrown, pull-up-her-boots and get it done warrior like Zetia. They couldn’t be more different.

“No offense, but you’re under stress with a house full of people. We should continue this another time,” Julie said, letting the Princess’s hand go. “Zetia, you lead the way.”

Both of my ladies made it to the drawing room door before I took a step. I liked the Princess, and I really didn’t want to disturb her noble sensibilities. However, she stopped looking at my wife and saw my dilemma.

The Princess’s stormy look faded. She waved her hand at me dismissively. “Go. Your wife is a formidable woman. We will speak again, soon. You’ve given me things to think upon.”

I bowed and chased after them. I caught them in front of the grand staircase. “That went well,” Julie commented, not pausing a step.

“Yes, you were right,” Zetia commented, while passing a red coated servant.

“Talk later,” Julie added, with uncharacteristic terseness.

I didn’t need to be reminded. The Royal, red-coated ears were everywhere we looked in the house. Harried servants with empty silver-trays under their arms, wearing false smiles, poured into the house from outside. The tents on the lawn were now full of women and children, mostly dressed in simple but nice garb. “Not the poor, but not the rich,” I thought.

“There they are!” Captain Minetos announced to the Count. They were standing by Count Vee’s carriage, looking rather relaxed. “The Princess hosts a lunch gathering for widows and orphans once a season. It’s a popular tradition that Wyrd wouldn’t allow the Raiders presence to influence. This is one of the reasons my sister is so popular with the community.”

The Count didn’t seem to care, he looked eager to leave. “Yes, nice. We are off. Thank you for putting in a good word to Princess Wyrd. I will attend to her wishes.” He bowed to the Captain and climbed inside the carriage. The rest of us nodded our heads to Minetos and followed the Count. Before I knew it the Count slapped his walking stick against the roof and the carriage dashed off.

“That went well,” Julie commented to the Count. “She was very interested in having Von’s support. I think we will all get what we want from her.”

Zetia’s smug face wasn’t lost on me.

“We just have to find out what the Black Prince is really up to and ensure the city stays safe,” I commented, sourly.

“I will have that boy in the palm of my hand,” Count Vee answered with a bit too much merriment. “The city has already beaten off the Raider attack and is on full-alert.”

I sighed, but he didn’t notice.

“Welcome to the kingdom’s Great Game,” Count Vee said firmly. “Most of the full-blooded princes and princesses pursue an independent policy within their own spheres of influence. It’s the weak players that often disrupt the more important provinces; especially when some scheme tilts the game board and equilibrium is spoiled. As you’d suspect, uncertainty rises and open conflict emerges. Their king is elderly and he has become rather hands off in dealing with his empire. He expects his children to handle things outside of his capital. It’s an environment where a weak prince, who is on his own, must make things happen to gather further power. The Black Prince doesn’t govern any province, which is a sore point for him.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.