Heat Wave - Cover

Heat Wave

Copyright© 2016 by Cor

Chapter 2

At Sherwin’s Falls, the weather was perfect; it was maybe 25°C. A light breeze would sometimes carry a bit of spray from the falls all the way to the small beach behind the inn and the sun played hide-and-seek with the leaves in the trees. Mélanie was daydreaming in the sun on this little beach when she heard this weird noise. Her first instinct was to check up on Sonny but he was still building the city of the future with his bucket and plastic shovel. The sound repeated itself – a subtle but persistent sound like a rhythmic beat of some drums.

She finally succeeded in isolating its origin; her very own carryall.

Shoving her arm into the bottom of her carryall, she finally came up with a cell phone.

“He ... hello?”

“Mélanie? It’s me, Karine.”

“Wha ... Karine? How? Where did you get this number?”

“You don’t remember? About a month before you disappeared, we went to the Place Versailles Mall together and we stopped at that cell phone booth. When that salesman offered you a cell phone with your birth date as your number, you couldn’t resist buying it. I was thinking of you and, just for the fun of it, I tried the number to see if it was still valid.”

“My god! That’s true ... After buying it, I just shoved it in my bag. It’s only been one year since I found it again and started buying minutes for it. I didn’t even think that someone might know the number. I only use it to check the weather and things like that. How’s it going?”

“I’m well except that it’s hotter than hell; I’ve got a steady boyfriend, now. I still work at the shop but I’ve become a lead-hand so the pay is a bit better and the work easier. I called to get your news, however. Where have you disappeared to? I miss you, Mel.”

“It’s a long story, Karine. To cover the highlights, one time, after getting loaded to the gills, Butch hit me. The next morning while he was still stewing his booze, I picked up Sonny and lit out of town. Right now, I’m living in Sherwin’s Falls.”

“Sher ... what? Where’s that?”

“Sherwin’s Falls. It’s a little nowhere village next to the American border, this side of the zoo at Hemmingford.”

“I’d like to see you again, Mel. We could talk about what happened to you ... I dunno, bring each other up to date, like.”

“I’d like that. There’s no way that I’m coming back into town, however, Karine, not even for one day. I’ve had it up to here with that place. Wait, I’ve got an idea ... I work at an Inn and next week-end it’s St-John’s day. Why don’t you come down for the long week-end, you and your chum? We have the room and I could set it up with the boss to give you a discount.”

“I dunno ... I’ll talk it over with Roger. Where’s your place?”

“On the road that runs next to the border between Hemmingford and Valleyfield. There’s one thing though ... you won’t have to pack any clothes for the week-end; no one wears any here.”

“Huh? Say that again? For a second, I thought you said everyone is naked!”

“That’s right. Sherwin’s Falls is a totally ordinary village but the inn belongs to the naturist resort here. If you want to be served, you have to be nude. It’s the house rules.”

“Are you insane or what? I’m not about to walk around with my tits and everything else hanging out, I’d have every guy in the place drooling all over me! I do admit I might have tried it at one time but I’m going steady, now.”

“Quite the contrary, I find that it simplifies things ... don’t forget that the guys are naked as well and it’s more difficult for them to hide what they’re thinking. But it’s up to you; the invitation is open.”

“I’ll think about it. In the meantime, now that we found each other again, don’t be a stranger, all right? You can reach me any evening and Tuesday and Sunday afternoons. You have my number?”

“Hold on ... Yeah, I’ve got it. As for me, I’m usually at the bar every evening but you can call me anyway, It’s not a problem. On week-ends, it’s a different animal; you’re lucky to have reached me – I’m at the beach behind the inn with Sonny.”

“In any case, I can’t get over it ... my little Mélanie is working with a bunch of nudists. And here I was thinking that I was the cool chick ... What... ? Just a sec, Roger – I’m on the phone.”

“...”

“Alright, I gotta go. See you soon, Okay?”

“That’s it, see you later.”

In Quebec, St-John’s day, the 24th of June, is also known as “La Fête Nationale (the National Holiday)”. This date was chosen to recognise the province’s French heritage and is an official holiday. The rest of Canada, including Quebec, celebrates July 1st, the anniversary of the signing of the BNA Act, which granted Canada its relative independence from Britain.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.