World War: Campaign for Eastland
Chapter 12

Copyright© 2016 by Lazlo Zalezac

State visits tend to start with the visiting head of state landing at an airport to be greeted by a brass band, dignitaries, and a large press presence. Then there is a cavalcade of limousines to the government center where dignitaries will once again wave to a large press presence. Then the heads of state are cloistered behind closed doors where they have ‘frank and honest’ discussions while their aides scurry about in other conference rooms hammering out details about relations between the countries. After the ‘heart to heart talks,’ there is usually another press conference in which the Heads of State applaud each other for their honesty and willingness to work with each other. Afterward, there is a state dinner where various dignitaries, both local and foreign, are given a chance to interact with the visiting head of state. If the state visit lasts for a couple of days, there are cocktail parties at various embassies where the whole world of dignitaries get to rub elbows.

The state visit by the Empress of the Jade Empire didn’t follow the normal script. For one, her plane landed on a runway inside the Jade Academy. There were no brass bands, dignitaries, or a single member of the press. She was greeted by Teacher Wynn and a dozen cadets. She rode a bus to the business center where she was put up in the visitor quarters. Her entourage settled in the barracks next to the conference center.

For the rest of the afternoon, people who she had known stopped by for friendly little visits. This included the staff, teachers, and dorm mothers. She wasn’t the only one visited. All of the Jade Warriors had grown up knowing the people who worked inside the Academy. The conference center was guarded that night by a large contingent of cadets, many of whom had little contact with Jade Warriors prior to that duty, but had known some of them when they had been cadets. For them, it was a lot like reuniting with the big brother who had gone off to college and had learned new and mysterious things.

There was a large dinner that evening with a few invited guests. Among the guests was Nguyen Dung. There were no special tables of honor or anything like that. Off to one side was a small table shared by Teacher Washington, General Wynn, and Nguyen Dung.

“My father would be proud to see what your orphan army has accomplished.”

“You mean our orphan army, don’t you? You and your father worked just as hard to make this a reality as I did,” General Wynn said.

“I must admit to taking a bit of pride watching them battle the entire world. I remember seeing the motley collection of orphans when they arrived that first day. It’s hard to believe that they’ve grown up to be such mighty warriors.”

“I know.”

Teacher Washington said, “They sure were short.”

He stood up and went over to visit the Jade Warriors. The two men watched the Jade Warriors talking with each other and their old teachers. Teacher Washington, their firearms instructor, was particularly popular. He had made an impression on every cadet with his gruff no nonsense manner and dry humor.

General Wynn said, “I miss your father. He was my best friend.”

“He considered you to be his best friend.”

General Wynn raised his Gin Martini and said, “To absent friends.”

Raising his whiskey on the rocks, Nguyen Dung replied, “To absent friends.”


There was a cavalcade to the government center, but it wasn’t of limousines. It was comprised of two deuce and a half trucks loaded with Jade Warriors bracketing two APCs containing Black Lords and the Empress. The crowd lining the streets waiting for their first view of the Empress of the Jade Empire watched the convoy pass without comment. They were still waiting for the cavalcade of limousines to show up.

The press complained when the convoy parked in front of the government center. They were concerned that the trucks would ruin the shot of the Empress arriving. The sudden appearance of Jade Warriors leaping out of the back of the trucks took them by surprise. These were not ‘show soldiers’ who were there to impress by appearance. These were fully armored and fully armed warriors who took complete command of the entire area around the trucks by their presence.

Four Black Lords exited the APCs. They didn’t move as fast or as gracefully as the Jade Warriors, but there was something just that extra bit threatening about them. It may have been the blackness of their armor, the scars they bore, or the attitude they projected.

Then Empress Jana stepped out of an APC. She turned to look at the press. She didn’t greet them or the public with the plastic smile and weak hand wave that one expected from royalty. There was a hardness about her expression that sent chills down the spine. Her carriage screamed, “We are an empire of warriors. Tremble before us.”

Two lines of Jade Warriors, facing outwards, formed with the Empress and Black Lords between them. The Empress was preceded and followed by two Black Lords. Unless one watched closely, it looked like everyone was moving randomly until the formation suddenly snapped into place.

Once everyone was in place, the procession marched like it was a choreographed dance. Every ten paces the Jade Warriors in the lead would step out of formation and face the side. As the warriors marched past, the one on the side would slowly turn to where he or she was facing the rear. Another Jade Warrior would step out facing the side. The one the rear would walk backwards until he passed the next rear looking warrior. At all times there were Jade Warriors facing the front, the sides, and the rear. Jade Warriors would never line up like little yellow ducks in a shooting gallery.

Was it staged? Yes. Was it for show? Yes. Was it functional? Definitely. It also sent the message: “we will not be surprised.”

They walked up the step to the front door of the parliament building. The Prime Minister was waiting for them to arrive. His eyes wandered over the weapons they were carrying. He wasn’t the only one watching the weapons. Security teams were everywhere around the building watching and wondering if the Jade Warriors were going to start attacking.

“Greeting Empress Jana, welcome to Inra.”

“Hello, Prime Minister Patel. Thank you for the invitation.”

“Parliament is awaiting you.”

“Thank you, Prime Minster. I look forward to addressing them.”

The Jade Warriors took up positions inside and outside the Parliament Building. She followed the Prime Minister to the front of the room. The ministers gathered there wondered what she was going to say. The number of times that a new nation or empire emerged had become a rare event. It was not unknown for a country to undergo a civil war and divide into two countries, but a new one from nothing hadn’t happened in centuries.

The Prime Minister introduced her as the Empress of the Jade Empire. He listed the countries that operated under the banner of the empire. Then he stepped aside and gave the podium to the Empress.

Empress Jana said, “I am Empress Jana, the first empress of the Jade Empire. Our empire was born in war, a war declared upon the Empire, before it even existed. It is fitting that an empire of warriors was born in war. As a warrior nation, we understand war, perhaps better than any country in the world.

“In the last seventy years, there have been two hundred and fifty seven wars, including civil and multi-national wars. More than twenty-three million people have died as a direct result of combat. The indirect cost of lives is uncountable. There are over sixty million refugees. For seventy years, there has not been a day in which less than two wars were being fought somewhere in this world. At times, the number of wars being fought on a specific day has climbed to over ten.

“A little over seventy years ago, the International Federation of Nations was founded as a forum in which nations could meet and settle disagreements without having to go to war. From that lofty purpose, it has devolved to a petty organization that has declared war on countries for trivial reasons. One such reason was to arrest a single individual accused, not convicted, of a crime against humanity and who was ‘reported’ to be hiding within that country. What a fall in ideals it is to go from peace maker to war monger.

“War is not a trivial matter. It is something that should be taken very seriously. War is a matter of life and death for the state. That was true when it was written two thousand years ago, and it is something that should remain true today. Apparently the world has forgotten that.

“World, let me remind you – war is a matter of life and death for the state.

She stood there for a few seconds allowing her words to sink in.

“I have come here to speak to you for several reasons.

“First, the Jade Empire would like to acknowledge the wisdom of the Inra nation in choosing peace over war. We thank you for not contributing to the death count, of not adding to the number of refugees, and for taking a reasoned and mature approach to resolving this conflict. If more countries had followed your example, there would be one less war in this world.

“Second, the Jade Empire wants to reach out to you, not as beggars seeking a handout, but as a full trade partner. The continent of Surprise is rich in natural resources. Our manufacturing capabilities are improving. We have products to sell and we desire to purchase products. It is our belief that trade will be mutually beneficial to all involved.

“Third, the Jade Empire thinks that Inra, as an ancient and well respected nation, can have a positive influence on the future of humanity. The Jade Empire knows that war is horrendous thing and should be avoided at all times. Inra knows this as well. We ask that Inra raise its voice on the world stage in protest at the callous ease with which nations go to war. Diplomacy is not a way to justify war, but to prevent it.

“Finally, the Jade Empire would like to thank Inra for allowing me to introduce it - and myself - to the world, via this instrument of addressing your Parliament. Prime Minister Patel has been extraordinarily kind in this matter. You have been extremely patient. For the Jade Empire, this is a historic occasion. We hope that it achieves equal significance in your history.

“Let me thank you again for this chance. Peace be with you.”

She looked out over the room. There was a variety of expressions ranging from bored to angry to interested to thoughtful. Such a reaction was to be expected. She stepped aside to make room for Prime Minister Patel. He stepped up to the podium.

“Thank you, Empress Jana, for your kind words in praise of Inra. We are a nation that believes in peace. We agree that talk is better than war. We have said repeatedly that war is horrendous. We will continue to repeat that message in the hope that the world will listen to it. It was our duty to assist a new nation in taking its place on the world stage.

“I know that some ministers present have questions that they would like to ask of you. Would you mind answering them?”

“I would be quite happy to listen to any questions, but like all humans there are some questions for which I have no clue how to answer.”

“Such as?”

“What is the meaning of life?”

The Prime Minister laughed and said, “We’ll understand ducking metaphysical questions.”

He looked across the room and said, “I call upon Minister Dube.”

Minister Dube rose and asked, “Where is Pen Sada?”

“It is my understanding that she is living in Burad and is holding a job in a well respected profession.”

That little bombshell set off the whole room.

Minister Dube said, “I find that incredible. She’s living in Burad where the headquarters of the IFN is located.”

“That’s my understanding. I do know for a fact that she is not in any territory currently occupied by the Jade Empire.”

Prime Minister Patel asked, “Would you tell the IFN where she is?”

“No. Pen Sada led an effort to fulfill a contract ending war in Palarma. She was successful in that effort. Since the end of the war, there has not been a single death due to religious or civil conflict in Palarma. Palarma has experienced the longest period of peace in its entire history. Palarma has Pen Sada to thank for that.

“We do not believe that Pen Sada has done anything illegal or immoral. If we thought that she had done something illegal, we would have executed her ourselves. The Jade Empire will not contribute to a witch hunt in pursuit of an innocent person.

“That is the last question that I will answer about Pen Sada.”

Prime Minister Patel said, “I call upon Minister Nath.”

Minister Nath said, “The Jade Empire appears to target political leaders which is contrary to how things are handled at an international level.”

“Is that a question?”

“Why target political leaders when the international community feels it is a violation of accepted practice?”

Empress Jana answered, “When an individual makes a decision that affects the lives of millions of people, he or she bears a responsibility for that decision. I think that all in this room must agree with that sentiment. You make such decisions on a daily basis as Ministers of Inra, and surely feel the responsibilities of your position.

“When a nation grants an individual the authority to make decisions on behalf of others, there is a contract in place that states the individual making the decisions is responsible for them. Responsibility is meaningless without accountability.

“One form of accountability is that of shared risk. If you make a decision that puts others at risk, then you have to share in that risk. Signing a declaration of war sends millions into harms way. It must also send the signer into harms way. That’s accountability.

“Anyone who believes that holding someone accountable for their decisions is a violation of accepted practice should review the line of reasoning on which that acceptance is based. That kind of reasoning is what has produced some the worst mass murderers in history. Taking upon oneself the authority to make such decisions without being held accountable for the consequences is the greatest crime against humanity as far as the Jade Empire is concerned.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.