Silver Wings Upon His Chest - Cover

Silver Wings Upon His Chest

Copyright© 2016 by Anotherp08

Chapter 3

Jake hit the Doc’s contact on his phone then selected his office number. The phone rang twice before a pleasant voice said “Good afternoon Palmer’s Veterinary. How can we help you today?” Doc’s wife Bridget had one of the best phone voices he had ever heard. Just hearing her upbeat tones made his day better. The two had been married before Doc had transferred to the First. When they arrived, she took an instant liking to Jake. Every time he called she gave him flack.

“Hey Bridge, any chance the Doc is available?”

“Oh no. what is it this time? Let me guess. You were shooting squirrels and sat down your rifle to open another beer and the squirrels knocked over the rifle and you got shot in the ass again.” She was laughing by the time she got it out. “Please tell me I’m right.”

“Ha, ha. Very funny. No, it’s not me this time.”

She sighed and said, “But, it is someone, right? I can’t remember you ever calling here just to talk.”

“No. I do that after hours. I thought you guys were trying to run a business after all.”

“Yea, yea. You always have an answer for everything don’t you.”

“I try. It makes life so much easier.”

“You do know there is such a thing as a hospital and real MDs. Every time he does you a favor he takes the chance of losing his license.”

“I know I’m sorry. I’m in a real bind Bridge. I have a young lady here who is trying to hide from someone. Last time she tried she went to a hospital in Spokane and the bastard found her there. She won’t go to a regular hospital or even a Doctor. I just don’t know who else to call.”

He could hear Bridget breathing on the line. It was several seconds before she said, “Promise me Jake you didn’t hurt her. Promise me.”

“Damn Bridget you know me. I would never hurt a woman. I swear I didn’t hurt her.”

“I know. I know. I just had to ask. Hold tight let me get him. How bad is she Jake?”

“Truth is, I’m not sure. She had bruises on her face. Both of her eyes are black. Her torso looks like she went ten rounds with Muhamad Ali. If she’d let me I’d have in the hospital right now. I think she has at least cracked if not broken ribs.”

“Shit, hold tight I’ll get him.”

“Bridge any chance he has the portable X-ray.”

“Don’t know. Let me get him. Hang on.”

The line went to elevator music, or hold music in this case. Jake wondered why every time he was on hold or in an elevator, the music was always “The Girl From Ipanema”. Maybe, he only noticed when that song was playing.

“Jake hold on I’m going to put you on speaker.” Bridget put her words in to action and he heard the background noise level change. “There you’re on speaker.”

“Hey buddy, my wife says you have an injured bird. Give the run down. How bad is it?”

“Not bad if she was a pro boxer. Major bruising just about everywhere you look. Or, everywhere I have looked. We wrapped her ribs, and Beth gave her a T3. That made her real loopy, like we gave her a SF happy pill or something. She could barely walk across the bar. Almost collapsed a few steps from my usual table. I just don’t know. That is why I called you Doc.”

“And, how bad are her other problems? The one that caused all this bruising.”

“Not entirely sure. From what she says he is a real bad guy. Like Chicago style bad guy. Beth had to pull old faithful on a couple of his guys who tracked her to the bar. That is as much as I know now. My next call is to see what I can find out about Mr. wonderful.”

“Ok, where are you now and where do you want to meet up. I’m elbow deep in a schnauzer, at the moment. It’ll be at least thirty minutes to finish up on her. Then another twenty to thirty for recovery. Let’s call it an hour. Then I can meet you. I don’t think you want to bring her here.”

“Do you have the portable or do I need to bring her in the back. I hate to do that when you have patients.”

Doc sighed, “I can get the portable. It just means owing someone another weekend of on call. She rather likes it when I owe her.”

“Sorry man, I will make it up to you. I promise.”

“Forget about it. One of these days I’ll be able to afford my own. I need it to do a checkup on a horse too. So, it’s no big deal. Where do you want to meet, Beth’s place or yours?”

“Better make it mine. Beth has done far too much already.” Beth’s snort from behind him said she didn’t agree with his assessment.

“Ok, so your place in an hour and half. Watch your six man.”

“Make it two, and I always do. Later Doc.”

“So, when do you need to be at your place with his new patient? Two hours is that what you were saying?”” Beth asked

“Yes. I have a huge favor to ask you. I need to make a quick side trip. It would be easier if sleeping beauty stayed asleep here while I did it.”

“You were wondering if she could stay in the spare room until you got back, right?”

“I was hoping I could impose on your hospitality a little longer on her behalf.”

“Sure, thing Jake. I’ll need to relieve Tiffany in an hour so she can make her afternoon class but she is welcome to the spare room. I’ll ask one of the guys to sit up here if I have to go downstairs before that. Al is downstairs. He’s a good guy and won’t ask any questions.”

“Tell him dinner is on me. Thanks Beth. I’ve got to check on Cathy. Her and Jill’s voicemail had a distress code. I need to go see if they are at the meet. Otherwise,,,, “ he didn’t finish.

Beth placed a gentle hand on his shoulder interrupting his words. “You go make sure those two are ok. Then you get back here. We’ll hold down the fort until you get back. I’ll go get Al to come up and visit with me until you get back.” She headed for the door to the bar.

Jake got up and went down the hall to the spare room. He gently opened the door and checked on Emily. She was still asleep. He was debating whether he should wake her, when she rolled over in her sleep. He eyes shot open as groaned. She looked around and saw him at the door. “Why you over there instead of here in bed with me?” she asked.

Jake crossed the room and squatted down so his face was on the same level as hers. “I need to run an errand. Then you and I are going to my place. My friend will meet us there and give you the medical attention you need.”

A look of panic settled on her face. “Your leaving? But, but you said.”

He reached out and petted her hair. “I promised I wouldn’t leave without telling you. I haven’t. I am telling you now. There will be a big old grizzly of a retired Special Forces Sergeant out in the living room until I get back. He’ll keep you safe. I won’t be long. I just need to go and check something real fast, be about thirty minutes. Then I’ll come get you. I promise and I always keep my promises.”

She looked at him for several heart beats then nodded. “Ok but hurry please.”

“I will.” he leaned forward and kissed the top of her head. then stood and left closing the door behind him.

Beth and Al were seated in the living room. There was a Colt 1911.45 sitting on the end table. He hadn’t lied to Emily when he called Al a big grizzly. Even at almost sixty Al was a big guy. At the moment, he had a serious look on his face. Before Jake could speak Al did. “You go do whatever it is you gots to do lad. Beth and me, we’ll keep an eye on things. That girl will be safe you have my word on it.”

Jake crossed the distance and shook his hand. “Thanks, I shouldn’t be too long.” Al just nodded.

“You need anything Jake? I mean do you need a weapon or cash or anything?” Beth asked

“I’m good. I have my pistol in the truck and a few other things. I won’t need cash for this trip. Thank you though.”

She stood and gave him a kiss on the cheek. “Then be careful, and hurry back.”

“I will. you two be careful too.”

With that Jake and Beth went to the back door. He heard Beth relock the deadbolt as he went down the outside stairs. He had the urge to run. Instead, he walked casually to his truck and opened the door. His truck wasn’t much to look at. It was a ten-year-old blue ford 4x4 with the suicide back doors. It had been a good truck, and it was paid off. Once he closed the door he reached down under the center of the front seat and entered the code on the gun safe fastened to the floor. He pulled out his pistol still in its holster. Then the three mag clips. He put in the holster and mag clips and adjusted them so they were comfortable. Then reached in the back seat for a sweatshirt. It was a bit warm for the sweatshirt, but it would have to do. He started the truck then pulled his phone from his pocket and dialed one of his contacts. As the phone was ringing he put the truck in drive and headed out of the lot.

“White.” Came the voice when the line was answered.

“Hey Rat, need a big favor if you can.”

“Jake that you?”

“In the flesh. Sort of.”

“Give me sec. Ok, what you need?”

“Look I know what I am asking might be bending a few rules but I’m in a bind. I need the run down on Geo, Angelo Caspenetti. Nothing official or anything just who he is and the likes. He is supposed to be connected with the mob or something. I just want to make sure I haven’t been fed a line of BS by someone. You know what I mean?”

“Yea I know. Where is, this guy located up there near you?”

“Yes, Seattle I think. Maybe one of the suburbs.”

“Hmm, let me think. Best thing to do is call the Seattle field office and ask off the record what they are willing to tell me. If he is with the mob, then they will know. Give me an hour maybe two. I’ll call you don’t call me.” The line went dead.

Jake made his third turn going around a random block for the second time. It didn’t look like he had anyone on his back trail so he took the next right heading for his storage locker. On two separate occasions, he turned and backtracked checking for a tail. When he was satisfied, he was clean he pulled into the storage rental place. He’d had a storage locker here since just after he had been stationed at Lewis. His training sergeant had brought him here and insisted he get a locker. SSGT Bennett had said for him to always have a hide hole to keep a SHF bag. When had asked what a SHF bag was. The sergeant had laughed and explained it mean Shit Hit the fan. He had done as his training sergeant told him. He came every few months to update the contents and paid the rent for it a year in advance with cash. The guy who owned the place was a vet, and didn’t ask questions. He was glad he had never needed the locker. He was also glad Cathy had remembered it and the code phrase they came up with all those years ago.

He entered the code and drove thru the gate when it opened. He drove thru the place checking to see if anyone else might be around. There wasn’t, so, he pulled up near his unit and parked his truck. When he got out and saw the combination lock was locked his worry increased. He spun the dial and unlocked the unit. Then pulled up the door. Sitting on the floor of the locker was a large manila folder. The post-it note on the center had his name written in all capital letters. He grabbed the folder and placed it in his truck then grabbed two bags and tossed them in the back seat. He locked up and got back in his truck. He hesitated opening the file. He should wait but curiosity got the better of him. He opened the file finding a type written letter.

Jake: I am writing you this letter to explain a few things. I hope you are reading this because a young lady came looking for you. If not don’t worry about what is in the folder. If you are reading this because Emily Howe came looking for you, then I ask you to please be very careful. Her boyfriend is a very bad guy. This is his file from a friend in the Seattle PD. I hope it helps.

Jill and I are going to be out of town for a few days. It may be a few weeks depending on what we hear. I’m sorry to drop this in your lap. I just didn’t know what else to do. She needed help and I thought you were her only real choice. I have no doubt you’ll do the right thing. You always do.

Love C P.S.

If you need to get in touch use the old board. I still have my account.

Jake read the letter twice. Part of him wanted to curse. This was so like his ex-wife. She had adopted another project and dumped it in his lap when it became too difficult for her to handle. She did this to him several times when they were married. He chided himself. Emily wasn’t like the puppy Cathy brought home. She needed much more than house breaking, and if the thickness of the file was any indication, this was more than Cathy was able to handle. He sighed and started the truck heading back to Sadler’s.

Jake didn’t worry about going thru all the security and backtracking. He just drove straight to the bar. That turned out to be a good idea. As he pulled into the lot he saw four men on the back stairs heading up to Beth’s apartment. There were two SUV’s parked at the base of the stairs. The four men didn’t even glace his direction when he pulled to the back of the lot. He parked his truck with the driver’s door away from the stairs and their occupants. He exited the truck and pulled the bag from the back seat. He laid it on the ground and hocked up the headset from it to his cell. He dialed Beth’s cell.

When she answered, he began talking not giving her time to say anything. “Two SUV parked out back. Four armed tangos on the back stairs try to gain entry. I have my rifle I could handle this real fast. Stay down.”

“No, you stay there and don’t do anything. “ the line went dead.

He watched the men on the stairs. Something had them looking to each other. The guy at the door suddenly seemed unsure of what he was doing. After several back and forth between him and the guy on the top stair he went back to work on the door. Jake didn’t hear the shot, but he saw its effect. The top of the door suddenly had hole in the top of it. The guy at the door turned and vaulted the railing. When the next shot was at mid door level the two closest to the bottom turned and headed for their vehicles. The guy on the step was yelling and waving his pistol. Jake heard the third shot, fairly clearly. This once was at the bottom of the door. He figured she must be close to the door. There wasn’t much spread from the blast of the shotgun. A large hole accompanied by a loud boom. The splinters from the door pelted the guy on the top step. That got his attention and he was moving down the stairs quick time.

Jake realized it might be too late. He could hear sirens quickly approaching. They couldn’t be more than a minute away. He judged they be too late. The men were almost in their vehicles already. He used his phone to take pictures of the license plates of both vehicles. He checked the photos to make sure they were legible. Then sent them to Beth. His phone rang as he was deciding if he should go inside. He saw it was AL’s calling and clicked the button to answer it. “Jake” he said.

“Get in your truck and be at the front door ASAP.”

“Roger.” He tossed the rifle bag and on the floor of the back seat and pulled to the door of the bar sliding in the gravel when he got there. The door opened and Tiffany came out supporting Emily. Al stood at the door with a bolt action rifle watching the lot and surrounding streets. Tiffany opened the door as soon as he hit the unlock button then the back door. She helped Emily into the back and had her lay down. Then she closed the back door and climbed in the front seat. “What is going on? Why are you coming with us?”

“Drive I’ll tell you on the way.” Jake put the truck in drive and pulled out of the lot he hadn’t made the end of the block when two cruisers came screeching around the corner. He pulled to the side. “Beth wanted me gone. Last time I was there when the sheriff’s boys came by I got into an altercation with one of the deputies. He started pulling me over regularly for a month. Beth or one of the guys followed me and got the entire thing on video. Beth took it to the Sheriff and told him he could deal with it and the three tickets I got, or he could deal with the lawsuit. After that I haven’t been pulled over since. Beth didn’t want me around just in case Deputy Dirtbag was one of the responding officers.”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.