The Samaritan - Cover

The Samaritan

Copyright© 2016 by Lapi

Chapter 1

This part of the Carolinas was supposed to be better than most of the coast, supposed to be, that is. I found that hard to believe, it was 102 degrees already and only past 10:40 am. I was planning on some golf, right; you know what they say about a plan though. This sauna-like heat made a change of plans seem like a very good idea.

The freeway, I-75, might have been faster but I was not in a hurry to get anywhere so the Smoky Mountain path got my vote, I think it was called US-41. I cranked the air up a notch and settled in to play a few of my favourite CDs. As I said, I was in no hurry. The car was a nearly new, big Lexus, light grey in colour and less than 1,900 miles on it. Man, I liked this car.

About an hour into my scenic route, I decided I needed a fill-up for me. ‘Might as well do the car too!’ I thought. The place up ahead looked older than I was, but then again who wants to admit their age. At least it had some gas pumps in front. As I got closer, I could read the hand painted sign that attested they were ‘air conditioned’. That made my mind up to stop; I did say it was a bit warm didn’t I?

Seventeen gallons later and what seemed like seventeen pounds lost in sweat made going inside to pay and try out that ‘air conditioning’ my priority. The cutie where I paid pointed out a faded blue cooler then I asked what she had cold to drink. Man when I looked inside there were maybe a dozen bottles and three cans of various soft drinks. I grabbed a bottle, opened it on the thing on the side and took 2 cans for the trip.

When I went up to pay, I was second in line. My bottle was half-empty. I went back for one more. The gal in front was just finishing up, I had not lost my place in queue; not many people were mucking about on a day like this. I heard part of the conversation as the two girls were finishing up.

“Julie, I need to put this other stuff back, It’s too damn hot to carry it back home, besides the milk would sour and the margarine melt. Jamie got a cold or something so I need the can of soup, the bottle of aspirin and some bread; none of that will melt and I can carry that much.” She laughed.

“Yeah, it’s going to be hot today. I’ll put the rest of the stuff back, don’t worry about it. I hope Jamie is OK, Jen.”

“Me too. Thanks Julie, I guess I just was not thinking. I probably would not have enough to pay for all this either; I just wasn’t thinking. Sorry.”

“Bye Jen. Howdy stranger, looks like you’ll be ready for the heat today.”

“Yes ma’am, is it always this hot around here?”

“Yep! Sam even put in air conditioning last week. They said on the radio we was going to hit 105 or more today. You find everything you need?”

“I think so but what’s the story of the girl that just left?”

“Oh, that’s Jenny. Sam won’t give her any more credit, I guess she forgot. She’s had some bad things happen to her and times have been tough. Of course on a day like today there is no way she’d be able to carry all this stuff home, it’s too hot to walk three miles with this. I feel sorry for her, we went to school together and her boyfriend got himself killed in Iraq last month. It’s been ... I’m sorry, let me ring you up then I’ll put all this back.”

“She called you Julie, right?

“My name.”

“Look Julie, bag her stuff up, add it and whatever she owes to my bill, will you? Here is my license and my business card, verify I am who I say and I’ll catch up to her and drive her home. No one deserves to suffer for losing a loved one, especially one who served. OK?”

She checked a list, and then she spoke.

“You sure, everything is like $73.50.

“Here is $200, put the change on some kind of future account for her if you would Julie.”

“Damn Hoss, come back later and you can drive me home too! Just kidding, my old man might take exception to that. If you really are going to help her, remember she is a nice girl who is down on her luck. She won’t take charity, but ... wait a second.”

She walked to the back.

“Sam, I got to go for a bit, could Joey or you watch out here while I’m gone?”

A mumble.

She came back.

“Ok, I’m going with you; otherwise Jen will never get into your car. C’mon, let’s go, it’s hot out there.”

“Yes Ma’am, Sir, I hear and obey Mistress.”

“Damn straight! Not a bad start for a Yankee.”

“Now don’t go cussing and calling me names, I was born in Virginia.”

On the way to the car.

“You won’t get into any trouble for this, will you Julie?”

“Not too much, Sam’s my uncle and I came in at 5:00 am today to help, so no, I think I’m all right with leaving early.”

Upon seeing the car.

“Whoa, Hoss. Maybe I’ll change my mind about you driving me home in that or maybe even to your home.” She laughed, but the look on her face told me she might be serious about that.

Her comment made me think some. I wish I had a home. I popped the car doors then the trunk. She carried one small bag from the store while I had two. She handed me hers and all were stowed away. I opened her door then almost ran for mine. I did tell you it was hot. One bottle and the two cans went into a small cooler; I still had nothing left in the other bottle. I than realized a problem; I had no opener for my extra bottle, but those two cans would now remedy that error.

I started the car, felt the cool hit my face and closed my eyes for a moment. When I opened them, I swear Julie had pulled closer. I put the car in gear and asked. “OK Mistress, which way to pick up that ‘Wayward Girl’? In this heat, I knew she could not have gone far.

Sure enough, up ahead on the left, what could better be described as a ‘drowned rat’ was walking along. She had her head down and her dress dripped with sweat and was plastered to her body. I looked, saw it clear and pulled over about 50 feet ahead of her; the car pointed on the wrong side of the street. It might have been fine if I was in some kind of a joust, but as I mentioned before, there were not many people out and about today.

Julie got out, ran back to Jen and taking her hand, led her to the car.

“Now you get in girl. That hot looking car is cool inside. I seen his license and he gave me his card. They match up. He may look like a ‘damn Yankee’ but says he is not and stands up when they play ‘Dixie’.”

I never told her that, in fact I had never been to any place that played ‘Dixie’, Oh well, with some further observation I figured they were both cute, even if Jenny was a might damp looking.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.