Marooned - Cover

Marooned

Copyright© 2016 by Wyden Long

Chapter 6

[Note to readers: This chapter follows a completely rewritten Chapter 5 and slightly modified Chapter 4. If you have read the original version, you might consider rereading them to make this chapter more understandable.]

“Sir?”

“Yes, Mike?”

“The fellow on the island has spelled out a number, using stones, that appears to be a comm channel frequency number. When we listened in, there was a repeating message.”

“And?”

“It says, ‘This is Harvey Long, speaking for the entity that controls this island. He wishes to speak with the commanding officer of the naval force surrounding the island. Please identify yourself.’ Then it repeats.”

“Thank you, Mike. I will pass that along.”


“This is Lt. Commander Quarles. May I ask the nature of your business and to whom I am speaking?”

“This is Harvey Long and I am representing an artificial intelligence whom we call ‘Art’, for lack of a better name. He (or it) has piloted his vessel to Earth, in search of a suitable home for a colony of his planet. Do you have authority to speak for the government you represent?”

“I am authorized to secure the island and determine whether you constitute a danger to the area and to Earth.”

“And how do you propose to secure the island?”

“By landing an expeditionary force.”

“And how do you propose to do that? Have you not already failed to come closer to the island.”

“Yes, but we have not yet exhausted our options.”

“Oh? Did you plan some sort of attack?”

“Perhaps. Are you prepared to allow us to approach peacefully?”

“Are these not international waters?”

“Uh, yes, I suppose they are.”

“Then by what authority do you request anything of us?”

“By the authority of the forces I have at my disposal.”

“In that case, Commander, I respectfully suggest that you give it your best shot. Art assures me that the residents of his planet who would settle here are completely pacifist, but have the means to fully protect themselves.”

“Perhaps that is true. Are you prepared to test our mettle?”

“Yes, of course. Although you may wish to reflect a moment on the possible effects of your planned bombardment on the ships under your command. You have noticed that they haven’t been able to come closer, haven’t you? If we have some sort of shield in place might it not bounce your explosive rounds right back in your face?”

“However, I have my orders. We will fire one round to confirm the accuracy of your statements.”


A puff of smoke from a very large gun on the largest ship signaled the firing of a single round. Everyone present watched in fascination as it arced upward, then shortly after beginning its downward trajectory, was bounced back toward the ring of ships. It splashed harmlessly into the water a few hundred yards from one of the smaller ships and everyone watching was well aware that the miss could just as easily have been a hit. The wisdom of a full bombardment was looking very doubtful.”


“Well, Commander? Does that fulfill the letter of your orders?”

“Yes. However, I am convinced that there will be further orders forthcoming. While we are waiting for them to be formulated and transmitted, may I suggest that I and a small party be allowed to make a courtesy call?”

“After firing on us, Commander?”

“You know that was inevitable, as a show of force, Mr. Long. How has the entity you represent responded to our actions?”

“He is somewhat amused.”

“As would I be, in his shoes, Mr. Long. However, you will agree that there must be some sort of dialog established between us.”

“Of course. That was the purpose of our initial contact. We were not at all surprised when you were ordered to use force, if necessary to approach us on your terms. You will be pleasantly surprised to learn that Art and those he represents bear you no ill will and have no intention of using their tremendous technological advantage to harm the residents of Earth. You may bring a small party to the island for the purpose of establishing diplomatic negotiations.”

“We will not be armed.”

“That is wise. Weapons of any type brought to the island will be incinerated immediately. Such events may be harmful to those in possession of them at the time. Art and those he represents have completely eliminated violence from their culture. Incinerating a weapon is not regarded as violence. Possession of a weapon under these circumstances is an act of complete stupidity. Please be advised.”

“Understood, Mr. Long. We will embark at once.”


I was beginning to understand the situation a bit better now. Art and his masters had no need for warlike activities, since their technology provided them with near total immunity from aggression. Fighting among themselves would be just as difficult as I had envisioned our defending against them, based on their ability to read minds.

“Should Elaine and I be dressed for this meeting?”, I asked.

“No. I intend to make a statement and your nudity will support the statement. I trust that you do not mind?” I could almost see a smirk on his invisible face.

“We’re just along for the ride, Art”, Elaine chimed in. I think she was looking forward to strutting her stuff to the Commander and his staff.

“Are you comfortable with your role as spokesman, Harvey?”

“Yes, Art. When you first proposed it, I did not expect that it would work as seamlessly as it has. It is almost as if you are able to control my vocal cords without my having to listen and repeat what I hear.”

“Yes, Harvey. That is a good description of the process. Are you ready?”

“Absolutely! Say! I never noticed that wharf sticking out in the water there.”

“That’s because it wasn’t there before. It just seemed that it would be more respectful to our visitors to provide them with a more convenient method of coming ashore than wading through the surf like Gen. MacArthur.”

“Of course.”


Elaine offered, “Should we go down to the wharf to welcome them ashore?”

“That would be good, Elaine”, Art replied. “However, go only to this end of the wharf. They may encounter a surprise or two when they step ashore.”

“Oh, ok.” she replied.

The Captain’s gig pulled up nicely to the wharf and was quickly secured by the crew. The Commander stepped ashore, followed by his staff.

Art urged me to greet them and to remind the Commander of the prohibition against weapons. I did so, but when the group began to make their way toward us, two of the junior staff began acting strangely, as if they were extremely uncomfortable. Their discomfort appeared to increase very rapidly, until they both jumped back into the water and were rapidly swatting their pockets with their hands.

Through me, Art addressed the Commander. “Commander, it appears that some of your staff failed to understand the reality of my warning against weapons of any sort. I advise your men to divest themselves of the weapons they have hidden within their clothes. Otherwise, they could suffer permanent damage as I increase the temperature of the hidden weapons.

“You men there. Take your clothing off immediately and return to the gig. Chief, see that those men are put on report. My apologies to you, Sir. Their actions were entirely unauthorized and in contradiction of my specific orders. They will be disciplined.”

“Thank you, Commander. I can tell from your thoughts that you are sincere. It is not always possible to control the activities of certain types of men who may take their orders from a different chain of command.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.