A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 2 - Stephie - Cover

A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 2 - Stephie

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 31: Holiday Season, Part II

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 31: Holiday Season, Part II - This is the continuation of the story told in "A Well-Lived Life 2", Book 1. If you haven't read the entire 10 book "A Well-Lived Life" and the first book of "A Well-Lived Life 2" you'll have some difficulty following the story. This is a dialog driven story. Awards: 'Stephie' took 2nd place for Epic Erotic Story of the year, and 3rd place for Best Romantic Story of the Year in 2016.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Mult   Tear Jerker   Workplace   Polygamy/Polyamory   First   Pregnancy   Slow  

December 16, 1987, Chicago, Illinois

"Steve, Jamie's on the phone," Dave said. "We'll take it in the conference room."

Dave, Julia, Elyse, Stephanie, and I went to the conference room to hear what Jamie had to say.

"It didn't go well," he said. "They pretended to not know what I was talking about."

"So, what are our options?" Julia asked.

"Prepare an invoice for the software, say, fifty seats, and one year of support, and send it to me. I'll send it, along with a demand letter, and a promise of a 'cease and desist' letter to follow if they don't pay. How they respond to that will tell us what our next step should be. Worst case, we go into court and get an injunction to force them to stop using the software."

"Do what you need to do, Jamie," Julia said. "We discussed this and we can't let them get away with it."

"OK. Have Elyse send me the invoice and I'll send it to them by overnight express."

"She'll have it to you by this afternoon. I'll have it couriered to your office."

We hung up and Elyse excused herself to prepare the invoice while Dave called Greg and Alonzo into the conference room.

"I can't tell you for sure how they did it, but I can tell you how it could be done. Alonzo and I figured out some ways to mitigate the problem, which we can explain."

"How'd you bypass it?" I asked.

"It was trivial, in the end. I used a hex editor and simply replaced the code that checked the dongle. It's mostly no-ops, but with a couple of bytes of instructions that set the value of the 'valid license' flag to 'true'. Then, I found where the name of the firm is stored in the database, and used the database editor to change it to something else."

"Well, shit," I chuckled. "That was too easy."

"Only because I had access to the source code, so I knew exactly where to look. If I would have had to decompile the code, I could have found it, but it would have taken a lot longer. The problem is that most of the things we can think of to solve this could also be defeated using a hex editor."

"But not all?" I asked.

"Unless we could encrypt the binaries, I can't think of a way to always be able to defeat a clever person with a hex editor. But we can make it really difficult for them. What I'm thinking about is using a combination of our current license code, the unique 32-bit identifier that comes from the dongle, and the company name to create the license file. Then, instead of just storing the company name in the database, we generate it from that combined key at startup."

"What prevents them from just modifying it?" Dave asked.

"We'll use an RSA algorithm. We can create a license key here that can be verified by our software, but can't be created with the key that's there. If you took a course in cryptography, it's something called 'message authentication'. We put our public key in the software, but keep the private key here. Nobody can generate an authentic license code without our private key and it never, ever, ever, leaves this office. That way, if anyone messes with the license file, like changing the name of the company, the check will fail.

"Instead of putting the customer's name into the database, we'll read it from the license file. Because the license file is guaranteed to be valid at that point, the name of the customer has to be correct. And because we have a 'Licensed to' line at the bottom of the screen, everyone using it will know it's not validly licensed. We print the name on some reports, so I checked with Alonzo, and instead of allowing the customer to modify the company name on the invoices or time reports, it'll be locked to what's read from the file. They won't be able to send that to a client at that point."

"Could it be defeated?" my sister asked.

"It could, but it would be way more difficult," Greg said. "They would have to find a way to code in the name into the variable instead of just changing it in the database. It's possible, but difficult. One way to mitigate that is using cryptographic hashes to verify that the software hasn't changed. The problem is the same, though: someone could no-op the checks. We can try to obfuscate it and make it more difficult, but that won't make it impossible.

"We could intermix the code that does the license checks with important code, like opening the database, initializing the search routines, that kind of thing. That's what Alonzo was helping me with, because he knows that code so much better than I do. These changes aren't difficult, but I'd strongly suggest we not add them until v3.0 because we'll have to re-license everything. And as I said, it's not foolproof. A determined, intelligent hacker with enough time and resources could likely defeat it."

"OK. We won't commit anything yet," Dave said. "But I'd like you to work on the code as a proof of concept. I really want Jamie to get us a look at how they defeated the dongle system, so we know if they did it another way before we decide what to do. I want as complete a solution as possible. Thanks, guys."

They left and Elyse came back with the invoice. My sister agreed to take it to Jamie's office and headed out right away.

"The real question is, how widespread this problem is," Julia said. "Last time, it was just one law firm, and they were in Chicago, and we knew where they got their copy. Now? I'm worried."

"All we can do is keep our eyes peeled for any other violations," Elyse said. "And see if Jamie can force the firm in Dallas to give up their supplier. That's who we want."

"We aren't alone in this," I said. "All of my computer games are starting to use some kind of licensing or copy protection. Too many people were making copies and giving them to their friends. It's like making tapes from LPs and giving them to your friends."

"So many people do that," Dave said.

"True. But that doesn't make it right," I said. "If you own the copyright on something, you're entitled to the profits from selling or distributing it. If you don't believe that, we may as well fold up shop and all go get jobs at McDonald's."

"I guess I just never thought of it as stealing."

"Me neither, back in High School. I think we all have a very different perspective on that now."

There wasn't much else we could do at that moment, so we all went back to work.

December 18, 1987, Chicago, Illinois

"Happy belated anniversary!" I said to squeals of happiness as I hugged my wives and kissed each of them.

"Shall we get started?" Kara giggled.

"Re-enacting our wedding night? I'm game!" Jessica said.

"No fair!" Kara protested. "You got a lot more than I did!"

"Because it was my first time!" Jessica said primly. "Tiger, do you need breakfast first?"

"The last meal of a condemned man?" I chuckled.

"Oh, quit whining and get over here and fuck me!" Jessica demanded mirthfully.

She had her turn, as did Kara, and after a joint shower, we went down to breakfast. We walked to the video store just after they'd opened and rented three movies. The first one was one we'd wanted to see, but had missed in the theatres: The Secret of My Succe$s, starting Michael J. Fox. The other two, at Jessica's insistence, were Debbie Does Dallas and Insatiable.

"I only got to see the 'pool table' scene reenacted!" she smirked. "I think I need to see the rest!"

We spent the rest of the morning in bed, watching the two pornographic movies. Jessica's assessment was similar to mine and Kara's — Debbie Does Dallas was kind of boring, but Insatiable was pretty hot.

"Can you believe that guy at the end?" Kara giggled.

"He's so big that there isn't enough blood flow for him to get completely erect," Jessica said. "And I'm not sure I'd want something that big in my butt!"

"What about in front?" I chuckled. "I do have a pretty large dildo in the toy bag in the closet!"

"You fit just fine, Tiger! And the only toy I need is you!"

"Me, too!" Kara agreed.

"Elyse asked to see the videotape," I chuckled. "Do you still have it?"

"Of course!" Kara giggled, "It's locked in my dresser. Would you really let her see it?"

"That's entirely up to you," I said. "I have nothing to hide!"

"No!" Jessica snapped. "You'll show it to anyone who asks!"

Her tone was almost spiteful, and I wasn't sure why, or how to respond.

"Jess!" Kara reacted sternly. "That's not true and you know it!"

"Sure it is!"

"Despite all the opportunities, from the time we married, he's only been with Bethany, Elyse, Shari, Lyudmila, and Tasha. And except for Elyse, only one time with each of them! And with your approval. So unless you mean in the sauna, that's just not so! What's wrong, Jess?"

I wasn't going to get into the debate between the girls, because I didn't think anything I could say could help. I saw Jessica wince from Kara's withering defense, and she turned slightly away.

"Sorry," Jessica said. "I shouldn't have reacted that way."

Now it actually was my turn to say something.

"Babe, if you reacted that way, I'm pretty sure that something is bothering you. If we don't talk about it, it's only going to get worse."

She sighed, "These have been the weirdest, most stressful two years of my life."

I decided to try a bit of levity.

"A trio marriage; Residency; sleep deprivation; your husband having two kids with a third on the way? What's to be stressed about?"

She laughed, which was a good sign.

"I guess the stress is legitimate, but it makes me think in crazy ways and feel like I'm not in control."

"The change from medical student to Resident was a pretty big one," I said.

"Sometimes it feels like I'm on a river, carried along by raging floodwaters, and just barely keeping my head above water."

"Maybe staying out until after midnight on Tuesday was a bad idea," I said.

"Tiger, we talked about how much you and Kara adapt to my schedule already. That was an important night for your company, and as one of your wives, I needed to be there with you. And look at today — you took the day off."

"For you and Kara, both. Because this fit into all of our schedules. Honestly, if anyone has room to complain, it's Kara. I arrange things around your schedule, I work early, or late, or on weekends, or whatever, so I can be with you."

"So you can be with US, Snuggle Bear," Kara said gently. "I don't feel neglected, nor do I feel like an afterthought."

"This is HARD," I sighed. "But it's worth it. It's worth every bit of effort that I give."

"You give," Jessica sighed. "And I get on your case anyway. I don't really give anything except a bit of freedom, and then I bitch about that, too. I feel like a terrible person."

"I signed up for this, just as you did," I said gently. "And just as Kara did. It's not like I was tricked or trapped. I knew what it was going to be like. I had long talks with Al Barton about it, including about the little things that caused his divorces."

"But I feel like I'm treating you like a doormat!"

"No, you aren't," I said soothingly. "You're dealing with probably the most stressful thing anyone can do short of being in a war. And you even did THAT when you were in Ethiopia! If you think about your life, it's a series of ER shifts surrounded by sleep and a couple of hours a week with your husband and wife. That would stress out anyone!"

"I guess," she sighed.

"According to Al, it gets better," I said. "Sure, your surgical Residency is going to be stressful, but you'll have more time off and that means more sleep and more time with us. We can make this work, Babe. Don't give up on it!"

"I'm not. I'm afraid that you will," she sighed.

"Is THAT what this is all about?" I asked gently. "I promise that's not going to happen."

"Can you really promise that? Really?"

"I did promise that. Two years ago. All three of us made that same promise. Do you remember our song?"

Jessica smiled, "You're the Inspiration, by Chicago."

"And the most important words in the song?"

She nodded.

You know our love was meant to be

The kind of love to last forever

And I want you here with me

From tonight until the end of time

"Well, I most certainly meant it!" I said. "We didn't say 'for better or for worse' because we didn't use traditional vows, but that's what we all meant."

"Jess, we love you," Kara said. "And we're here for you!"

"But I'm such a bitch at times," she sighed.

"And I'm an idiot at times," I chuckled. "And yet, here you are."

"What about Kara? She's perfect!" Jessica said softly.

"I am NOT!" Kara protested. "We've talked about all of my problems. I'm not seeing either Doctor Mercer or Doctor Alborg any longer, but I still have demons to deal with, just as Steve does, and just as you do."

"I can vouch for that!" I said playfully. "You should have met Kara just after Christmas of 1982. You have nothing on her!"

"And Steve saw past all that, and look where we are now," Kara said. "You aren't a bitch, Jessica. You might act like one from time to time, just as Steve acts like an idiot from time to time. You two don't really see my issues because they're mostly in my head and I keep them there. But, the one thing I know for sure is that Steve loves me and will never leave me. And you should know the same thing."

"But how do you know that?" Jessica asked. "He broke his word to you in High School. And in a far more serious way than he did with me!"

"Because he came to me and confessed. He could have simply hidden it from me, which is what Becky wanted him to do. Or he could have simply dumped me after getting what he originally set out to get. He didn't do either of those things. Instead, he came to me, contrite, and willing to do what he could to make it right. Even when I walked out on him seconds before he was going to propose, he never gave up. He came back when I had no right to even hope for it, let alone expect it. Then he accepted me into his home and loved me when I didn't think anyone could love me. That's how I know.

"Will he screw up again? I'm sure that he will. But you know what? The one thing I can be absolutely sure of is that no matter what, he'll come to us and tell us. And that's the basis for a good relationship. Nobody is perfect. Everyone fails. But being open and honest gets you through it. This is going to sound funny, but the one thing we can absolutely be sure of with Steve is that he won't cheat on us."

Jessica laughed, "Why would he? We let him play around!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.