A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 2 - Stephie
Chapter 29: Penny

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 29: Penny - This is the continuation of the story told in "A Well-Lived Life 2", Book 1. If you haven't read the entire 10 book "A Well-Lived Life" and the first book of "A Well-Lived Life 2" you'll have some difficulty following the story. This is a dialog driven story. Awards: 'Stephie' took 2nd place for Epic Erotic Story of the year, and 3rd place for Best Romantic Story of the Year in 2016.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Mult   Tear Jerker   Workplace   Polygamy/Polyamory   First   Pregnancy   Slow  

November 27, 1987, Chicago, Illinois

After dinner on Friday, we had our house meeting to discuss living arrangements. I started out with the study and library changes and then asked everyone their plans for the following school year. There wasn't any change other than the one I already knew about with Sofia.

"Is there a problem because Kara's having a baby?" Charlie asked.

"It's not a problem, it's just a complication," I said. "We have a full eight months to figure it out, and once my dad leaves, the old study will be a permanent bedroom."

"I could move out if you need me to," Charlie said. "I can easily afford to get my own place. I was only staying here because it was convenient, and it let me save a ton of money. Well, and I like living here, but you know what I mean. Your house should be for your family. And it's not like I'm here half the nights, either."

I chuckled, "True. You and Clayton seem to have hit it off pretty well."

"If by 'hit it off pretty well' you mean that we fuck ourselves silly, then yes!" she laughed, as did the other girls. "You know that I'm not AT ALL interested in a permanent relationship right now. He's fun, but I'm not looking for a husband. When will you need the room?"

"Not until August 1st, because Leila and Alejandra both said they're going home for the Summer."

"I think I'll look for something in Lincoln Park, maybe a loft. There's a lot more happening there than in Hyde Park."

"Is that a backhanded way of saying that I'm old and boring?" I asked with a grin.

"Penny sure thinks so!" Charlie laughed. "But no. I'm not into the university scene, so Lincoln Park makes more sense."

"Eventually, Penny is going to be married with kids and then I'll get to tell her how boring SHE is!"

"When are we moving your study to the library?" Stephanie asked.

"There isn't that much to do, really. Move the two computers out of the current library into the great room, as we had before, then move my stuff into the library, and then get the bed and stuff out of the storage closet in the basement. We can start any time, really. It just needs to be done by the first of the year, so we're not rushing."

It seemed I'd been able to neatly sidestep the potential complication of having Tasha move in, because we'd be using Charlie's and Sofia's room as a nursery, at least for the time being. About the time that Leila and Alejandra graduated and returned to their countries, we'd need that room to separate boys from girls, or older kids from younger.

At some point, my sister would be ready to have kids, and unless we made some serious changes, there wouldn't be enough room. One of the changes we'd contemplated, way back, was modifying the attic room for use as bedrooms, but I really didn't want to do that because it was the perfect place for parties. Technically, the Indian room could serve as a bedroom, and we had the guest rooms, but neither of those were good options in the long-term.

The other question was, how long Elyse would want to live in the house. She'd made some off-handed comments about wanting to live in the suburbs, and at some point she'd probably do that. I hoped it wasn't soon, because that would mean that Matthew and his future little brother or sister would move with her. And that was not something I really wanted to contemplate now, or in the future.

Jennifer and Josie had both become 'city' girls, and I was sure that they'd stay in the coach house for as long as I would have them, and that would be for as long as they cared to stay. Having Jesse close was important, and I really liked my relationship with Jennifer at this point. Having her close by was a good thing, even if I didn't take Jesse into account.

But all of that was in the future. As we got up from the table, I suggested a sauna, and everyone but Charlie and my sister took me up on it. Charlie was headed out on a date with Clayton, or, as she put it, going to get laid. My sister was going to see Jorge, and I assumed she had the same goal, though that was left unspoken.

Fifteen minutes later, the rest of us were sitting in the sauna, with Jessica and Kara on either side of me. We'd seemed to have avoided the ditch I was trying to steer into; now it was just a matter of making the necessary course corrections to ensure that our relationship continued heading in the right direction. My main concern right now was that Leila was going to ask to be with me, and I would have to turn her down. That might present an awkward situation. I just hoped that when she asked, she did so privately.

"Alejandra, are you going home for Christmas break?" Kara asked.

"Yes. I'll leave on the 19th and come back on January 3rd."

"Will everyone else be here for New Years?" Elyse asked. "I need to start planning the party."

"Make sure you invite Alex and Sam," I said. "And Karl, Nick, and their wives."

"I had them on my list already, as well as the Jaegers, Kallases, Eggerts, and Fergusons."

It sounded so strange to hear all of my female friends referred to by their husbands' last names. It still felt odd when people called Jessica 'Doctor Adams', or when I saw either her or Kara's names written with my last name.

"What about Penny and Ned?" I asked.

"Them, too." Elyse said. "What about the other NIKA staff?"

"We'll do a holiday party and invite some of the top IIT prospects. I'd prefer to keep the business party separate, so to speak. Other than Dave, Julia, Cindi, and Penny, who are long-term friends, we'll split them. It's just safer that way."

"When do you want to do that?" Elyse asked.

"If you're offering to plan it, then shoot for the week of December 14th."

"Here?" Elyse asked.

"No, let's go someplace. Now that I think about it, I wonder if Alex Saunders would handle it. Let me ask him and I'll let you know."

"OK. Yes, I'll plan it."

"Thanks. We'll shoot for a Tuesday or Thursday so Jessica can be there."

"For our New Year's Eve party, should I ask Fawn to babysit? That way Kathy can bring Kristin, and if the Schumacher's want to bring their boys, they could."

"Sure. Just check with Jen about using the coach house as we have in the past. That way, we can be noisy here and not worry about the kids."

"And I'm going to miss it!" Alejandra sighed. "That stinks!"

After the sauna, we showered, and my wives and I went to bed, given Jessica had to be at work at 5:00am on Saturday.

November 29, 1987, Chicago, Illinois

"No race today, Tiger?" Jessica asked when she got up after her usual Sunday morning nap.

"No. The season ended last weekend. It'll start again in February."

"Anything going on?"

"Another plane crash," I said.

"Besides the South African Airways flight that went down yesterday?"

"A Korean Air jet went down with 115 passengers and crew onboard just off the Malaysian coast. No word yet about what happened. It just disappeared off the radar, and some wreckage has been found."

"Anything new on the South African plane?" she asked.

"Just that it went down somewhere east of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean. They updated the crew and passenger count to 159. The search and rescue teams found some fuel on the surface and a few bodies, but nothing more as yet."

"It's been a bad decade, that's for sure," Jessica said. "What's the plan for the afternoon?"

"We don't have one," I said. "We've been hanging out, and just came in to watch CNN when Elyse told us about the plane crash."

"I'm a news junkie," Elyse laughed. "What can I say?"

"Me too," I said. "But I prefer The Economist to CNN, though it is about a week behind. Anyway, was there something you wanted to do, Babe?"

"I'd say we could take a walk, but the temperature appears to be dropping. It's in the mid 30s now."

"Bah, that's not cold!" I teased. "There's nothing new in the theatres, though I do want to see Wall Street when it comes out in a couple of weeks. A lot of stuff is closed because it's Sunday, and it's already after 2:00pm as well. And remember, we have dinner with your boss in less than four hours."

Jessica giggled, "That should be enough time!"

I took her hand, then Kara's, and we went up to our room.

November 30, 1987, Chicago, Illinois

"Thanks for letting us stay here last night," Connie said on Monday morning.

I had come back home after walking Jessica to work because Connie and Anthony were still at the house. They'd arrived just before midnight, and Elyse had done me a huge favor in waiting for them after they'd called to say that they would be very late. Kara had gone to class and Elyse had gone to the office, so I was alone with Anthony and Connie, eating what was for me a second breakfast.

"You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't wait up last night, but Jess gets up at 4:00am and I like to make her breakfast and walk her to the hospital."

"It's OK. Elyse got us settled in your guest room and we went right to bed."

"What time is your meeting?" I asked.

"10:00am in Cicero," Anthony said. "We'll leave soon. That damned spic gang is really causing trouble. I know they whacked that shopkeeper because he refused to pay them instead of me. I only wish I could finger the guy who did it. They're muscling into the business all over the Midwest. It's like the Vietnamese gangs in California. Italians are under assault from all sides. The damned Feds, the spics, the gooks. All muscling in on what's rightfully ours."

"The Feds are really breathing down everyone's neck here," I said. "Unions, judges, alderman, la Cosa Nostra, and the gangs. But they're really going after the corrupt politicians."

"Are there any other kind?" Anthony quipped.

I thought about Alderman Bloom who had a reputation for being squeaky clean, and I knew he was dirty. Other than dropping off the envelope every couple of weeks, I didn't know anything about it, but Anthony's observation was valid.

"Probably not," I chuckled.

"Thanks again for your hospitality," he said. "We're going to head out. Let me know if you need anything."

"You're welcome," I replied. "And thanks."

We shook hands, and Connie and I hugged lightly. I got my leather bag and walked them to their car, and then headed to the office.

December 1, 1987, Chicago, Illinois

"Steve," Kimmy said over the intercom, "there's John Gildeah on the phone for you. He said he's from IIT."

I had no idea who that was, but had Kimmy put the call through.

"Steve, this is John Gildeah. I'm on the nomination committee for the IIT Alumni organization and we'd like you to consider serving."

"I'm honored, but I'm not sure that I can handle the time commitment to fill an important role like that. Between my business and family, I just don't have a lot of spare time at this point."

"It's really only a few hours every three months for Board meetings," he said.

"And events? And fund-raising? And serving on a committee?" I chuckled. "I know how that goes. I'm flattered, really, but I have to decline at this point. I hope you'll ask again in a few years."

"There's no way I can talk you into it? Will you at least have lunch with me and discuss it further?"

"John, not this time. Doctor Bauer mentioned this to me several weeks ago, and I've thought it through. I simply don't have the time. I have two kids and one due in May or June. My business is growing and we're short-staffed. My wife is a first-year medical Resident and has limited time that I have to work around. Sorry, John. No."

"OK. I'll take your name off the list. Sorry to have bothered you."

"It's no bother," I said. "Honestly, I really am flattered. Ask again in a few years."

We said 'goodbye' and hung up.

"What was that about?" Penny asked.

"The IIT Alumni organization wants me to serve on their board. I turned them down because I'm way too busy."

"Wow! That's prestigious, isn't it?"

"I suppose you could say that, but how much free time do I have? And I can't really take time away from Jessica when she's available. I have to work around her schedule. I can do that with NIKA, karate, and the rest of my personal life. But things like scheduled board meetings don't allow for the flexibility I need for Jessica, Kara, Elyse, Jesse, Matthew, and Baby X."

"Baby X?" Penny laughed.

"Kara's not sure like Jennifer and Elyse were."

"Do you have names picked out?"

"Birgit Elizabeth and Joshua Stephen," I said.

"Birgit? Wasn't that your girlfriend who died?"

"Yes."

"That's cool and creepy at the same time. You had sex with that girl, right?"

"Yes, Pretty Penny, I had sex with her. But you're barking up the wrong tree! This isn't some strange attempt to bring her back. It's like naming a kid after a relative."

"I suppose. Didn't you sleep with her sister?"

"Should I just type up a list for you?" I chuckled.

"Now THAT would be interesting!"

"You first!" I teased.

"Never mind!" she snapped.

"Ned, the guy at the party, and?" I asked.

"You want me to kiss and tell?"

"We're not talking about kissing, Penelope!" I chuckled. But her sudden intake of breath made me pause. "Wait, did you cheat on Ned?"

Penny's face fell, and I knew the answer immediately. I didn't even know why that thought had crossed my mind, but it had. Penny turned from facing me back to her computer and put her hands on the keyboard, but she didn't start typing. I saw a tear roll down her left cheek. I got up and reached for her hand.

"We're leaving, Penny. Come on."

"No! Just leave me alone!" she said, starting to sob.

"No chance. Get up and come with me! Right now!"

She pushed her chair back and stood up. I got our coats from behind the door, helped her into hers, and then put mine on. I took her hand again and led her from the office.

"Kimmy, we're done for the day," I said. "Just take messages if anyone calls."

"Is everything OK?"

"Yes. Don't worry."

I led Penny back to my house and took her to the Indian room. Kara was home from class and saw us.

"Could you make us a pot of tea?" I asked quietly. "I need to talk to Penny. She's having a crisis."

"How bad?" she whispered.

"Bad," I said. "Please, just get the tea. And if you could walk over to get Jess when it's time, I'd appreciate it. I don't know how long this will take."

"OK. Let me know if you need anything else."

"Thanks," I said.

Penny was standing staring at the tapestry on the wall, with tears running slowly down her cheeks. I quickly tried to figure out what had led me to ask the question, and I came to our brief interaction when she'd revealed her dalliance at the party. She'd been quick to point out that it had been after Jonathan and she broke up and before she and Ned got together. In hindsight, she'd seemed defensive about it, but I hadn't picked up on it at the time. Something in the back of my mind had pushed forward when she'd quickly shut down a conversation that shouldn't have been a big deal between two people who were as close as we were.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.