Monkey Wrench - Cover

Monkey Wrench

Copyright© 2016 by Redsliver

Chapter 19

I barely had my eyes open before Zoë had slammed my door open and skidded across my carpet. She jumped. I froze, flinching more from fear than agony, as she landed her knee on my thigh millimeters from The Once and Future King.

“It’s all green!” She hissed at me.

“What the--You mean outside of the box--You made it out, OK?”

Mom knocked on my open door. She was still pulling on her seafoam green robe and looking more than a little pissed.

“It’s 6:30! On a Saturday!” She reached for my door and closed it on us. “Why can’t you two sleep in till two like you used to?”

Zoë fell down on my left side, laughing. I had to chuckle too. She was dressed in uncommon sleepwear. Her top was an old loose hockey jersey of mine, I hadn’t played hockey since seventh grade. Her bottoms were the usual baggy pink flannel pants. I lifted her sleeve, “When’d you start wearing that?”

“It’s kinda become armor,” she rolled her head towards me with a smile. “I couldn’t get to sleep without knowing you were trying to save me.”

“There was so little I could do,” I frowned. “You got out?”

“Yeah,” she grinned. “It’s cold as shit and all the lights are only green.”

“Spooky. You OK did you make it to--”

She slapped a finger on my lips to shut me up. She brought her hands back to cross on her belly when Dad opened the door.

“What’s up with you two?” He asked with a yawn.

“Scheming.” Zoë announced right away.

“Fine, I don’t wanna know.” He sighed and pulled the door back over.

“Scheming?” I asked. She had me locked down in my bed. I could roll out to the left but she was on my arm and my blankets.

“It sounds more sinister than making plans.” She nodded. “Do you think we should go to different colleges? I mean like in different time zones or something?”

“Why?”

“See if our sleeps have to line up?” She wondered. “That’s a huge amount of tuition money to risk. One of us could just take a trip at some point.”

“I’m not thinking that far ahead,” I squirrelled my right arm, free arm, out from under my covers and picked the sleep from eyes. “I want to apologize. I find it hard to worry about you in the box. I feel guilty and scared every time I wake up.”

“Do you worry about the girls you’re with?” She asked.

“I’m terrified for--”

“Trishie, yeah.”

I didn’t mean to twist and throw her. If I hadn’t grabbed Zoë and rolled her back to me she’d have been pitched off my bed. She looked white and then started laughing again. “They’re--She’s--I--Ok?” I garbled over a tongue that grew three sizes that Christmas.

“Can I keep a surprise for tonight? You’ll like it--”

“What’s happening tonight?” My mom pushed the door open. Zoë and I went pale. She rolled her eyes. “Kia’s a nice girl. If you’re going to move on from her, tell her first. I don’t want to find out I raised a complete prick.”

“Mom, I--” I almost had a coherent thought.

“Since we’re all up, I’m going to make french toast. Bacon or sausages?”

“Bacon,” beamed Zoë.

“And?” I went for the Hail Mary.

“Alright,” Mom smiled and closed the door again. “The table will be set at seven. Your father does not promise bacon safety.”

We waited a moment even after hearing Mom’s footsteps travel away from my door. I was sitting up on my bed now. Zoë had scurried up and leaned back against my headboard. She looked to me. I spoke first.

“You ever try thinking about Mom and Dad inside?” I asked.

“Yeah, and I know they’re safe, happy.”

“I kept getting those thoughts thinking about you.” Or Reggie I withheld.

“I get that.” Zoë nodded. “And despite everything. I never panicked until I woke up that first night.”

“You’re safe? You’re really safe, right?” I asked and she stood up on her knees, penguined to my side and hugged me.

“And sound.”

I took a big sigh. “And you’re going to kill me waiting on tonight to find out?”

“Sorta.” She shrugged, leaning her head on my shoulder. We hadn’t been affectionate siblings since probably fourth grade. I hugged her back. “Your breath smells like death.”

“You’re clammy and sweaty.” I countered. “Let’s go get bacon.”


Mom and Dad left pretty early after breakfast. Zoë showered with the door open. I got weirded out and she laughed at me. Even with the awkwardness, I was excited to see her in the box. I almost wanted to take a couple of sleeping pills and get there right away. I drove myself insane failing to concentrate on video games or read. I texted Kia around 10.

“Hey!” She called me right back.

“Hey,” I smiled. I found myself feeling really angry. Zoë gave me a raised eyebrow and I muted the phone as Kia went off and I deep breathed myself cooler.

“ ... Laurie was so embarrassed!” She stopped for a breath and I interjected.

“We should do something today.” I decided. “Are you practicing with your band?”

“Kinda, but I can ditch them. We kinda rock, we don’t need to practice every weekend.” Kia hurried.

“Uh, no. Don’t. I was just wondering, you play with Suzi Lang right?” I caught Zoë’s meddling attention pretty quickly. It’s hard not to get caught eavesdropping when you keep making eye contact.

“Why?” Kia grumbled before hurrying out a fake. “Yes, how did you know that?”

“I’m friends with Dashawn, he’s almost a stalker.” I had to force the laugh at my friend. “Maybe we try and get them together?”

It was a plan I had considered a couple of days ago. Now, I hated it. Remembering the girls back inside the box was never as clear as remembering the girls outside from the box. I still felt that flutter of affection and infatuation and giddiness. I had lost my virginity last night. I hadn’t told--couldn’t tell anyone. I saw Zoë ignoring me; she seemed unable to read either.

“Oh, um, you want to set them up?” Kia pondered back at me. “We could try. I don’t think Suzi’s into Dashawn though.”

“I figure we get together. We go somewhere. We abandon them. Magic happens.”

“That’s a solid plan.” Kia agreed. “Fine, come over with Dashawn in an hour or two. Maybe you could bring Reggie too? For Laurie?”

“No, I’ll see you then.” Maybe I shouldn’t have hung up in her ear.

“Dashawn and Suzi, eh?” Zoë laughed dissolving her facade of book reading. “Their babies will have glasses thick enough to see Uranus.”

“Ha,” I snorted. “Your anus.”

“So childish...” She tutted at me. I growled and vaulted the back of the couch landing down hard just as she managed to get her legs out from under the crush. She was pinned behind my butt.

“You better get a shower before your double date.” She warned me. I had put on a grungy t-shirt but was still in pajamas. Zoë was the same but she had ditched the jersey and was just wearing a cotton candy blue tank-top underneath. She’d almost be at home in the box’s color scheme. I picked up my phone again.

I texted Dashawn. Kia had replied first with a “Bye (Angry Emoji)”.

“Just tell her you didn’t want her to hear you pee.” Zoë snooped at my screen. “You’d be the first boy I knew who hung up rather than hoping his girl wouldn’t hear the tinkling.”

“Shut up.” I informed her.

Dashawn fired back. “They any good?”

“Suzi Lang’s in the band.”

“Seriously? She plays music.” Dashawn replied. “Will be there. Don’t dress like a twat.”

“Hey, if you get back before too late. I’ll have Xiomara over.” Zoë told me as I got up.

“Part of your scheme?”

“You’re not going to be with Kia forever, are you?” Zoë laughed.

“Marin made a very clear offer.” I replied. “Connie seemed curious enough to set me up with Renée as well.”

“Who do you want?”

“Elizabeth.” I thought of first. “I’ll keep Connie and Hannah totally in box. Andrea too, I think.”

“Well then,” Zoë rolled her eyes. “Only skinny bitches it is.”

“Andrea’s kinda skinny.” I countered.

“Connie’s thick. Hannah’s a walrus.” My twin sister defended her point. “And Andrea’s a sweetheart. No skinny; all bitches. Instead you go for Kia and try to get picked off by Marin.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.