Armis & Io - Cover

Armis & Io

Copyright© 2016 by Harry Carton

Chapter 29

Kyoto, Japan -- March 13, 2064

On her assumption of the Chrysanthemum Throne in 2058, the Empress Aiko exercised her prerogative and moved the site of the Imperial presence to Heian-kyō, in what is now the city of Kyoto. It would, she said, separate the Imperial business from the merely political. She didn’t like the busy-ness of the political world, and would come to Tokyo as needed. When she needed to come, it would require a special train with special security and would disrupt the flow of normal traffic. She judged correctly, and the politicians rarely called on her.

On Thursday morning, Kyoto time, Armis appeared in the anti-room to the throne, in her usual white gown that brushed the toes of her steel-tipped combat-style boots. The multicolored striped calf-length socks – which were her only link to her pre-Armis life – were not visible beneath the gown. With her was a well-dressed Sam Redstone, looking quite dapper in a grey suit, white shirt, and red, white, and blue striped tie. He wore a lapel pin in the form of a white starburst, mimicking the amulet that Armis wore at her sternum -- although none would probably see the original. Also with her was a fully armed Billy Joe Hawkins in full assault get-up: assault rifle slung over his shoulder, out of the way across his back, pistol on his hip, and a jangle of ammo clips on his belt. He was in camo and wore combat boots. The only thing that was at all different was the white starburst patch on his shoulder, in place of a country flag.

The ever-present guards bracketing the door to the throne room came to readiness, and Armis addressed them in Japanese, through her amulet. “If you would please tell Her Imperial Majesty that Armis and one gentleman seek an audience. My guard will remain here.” And then they waited, retreated to sitting -- gingerly -- on the antique chairs on the other side of the room.

One of the guards spoke into a wrist comm device, and soon -- very, very soon -- a small, dapper man came out of a side door to greet them.

“Miss Armis,” he said in very good English, “if you and the gentleman will come this way. Her Majesty will receive you in her study. The other gentleman must remain here, no weapons can be allowed in Her presence.”

Hawkins just nodded. Redstone thought to himself with a chuckle, ‘No weapons? Should I leave my hands here as well?’ But he smiled ingratiatingly and walked a half-step behind Armis.

The trio walked down a hallway, made a series of turns, and entered a paneled room that was lined with bookshelves. Empress Aiko was seated at a round table with three other seats. She gestured at the chairs and said, “Thank you, Wasahito. That will be all.”

“As you say, ma’am,” said the elder Japanese man, in Japanese, with a deep bow. He disappeared through the same door where they’d entered. The door closed with asnick~.

Aiko: “Armis, it is good to see you again.”

Armis: “Thank you, Empress. May I present Samuel Redstone. He is a former U.S. military officer and a Native American by descent – a Cree. These days, he is my second in command and has no other allegiance, now.”

Redstone: “Your Majesty, it is a pleasure to meet you.”

Aiko: “Please, both of you. Call me just Aiko when we meet informally ... Please, Mr. Redstone ... Samuel if I may ... it is gratifying to see that Armis has help in trying to achieve her goals.”

Redstone: “Aiko ... just Sam.”

He smiled at the Empress. She smiled back at him. Clearly, there was some sort of chemistry between the dark-haired oriental woman in a high-necked, cream-colored dress, with a pair of black pearl strands and the Japanese Imperial symbol on a broach; and the dusky-skinned man with the military bearing and physique, in an off-the-rack suit, sitting ramrod straight in his chair. They couldn’t have been more different, but somehow, they matched – and apparently they both knew it.

There was a pause in the conversation as the pair locked eyes for a moment. Armis cleared her throat, then said, “I’m trying to set up a meeting with some people who I have contacted about this project, starting with Asia first. There will be you two of course, Mrs. Gandhi of India, Crown Prince Fisal the Third of Saudi Arabia, and Mr. Liu, the President of Greater China. I don’t know where we can arrange it, but...”

Aiko: “Singapore. It can be in Singapore. They are the Switzerland of Asia, and they have an excellent security apparatus.”

Armis: “Do you think the others would agree to Singapore? With virtually no notice?”

Aiko: “Oh, yes. I know that Liu Shou and Sahana Gandhi would be there. I don’t know Prince Fisal at all.”

Io to Armis: ‘We own the Star of the East Hotel in Singapore. It was a gift – of sorts – when we took down one of the Triad leaders in Hong Kong about a month ago. We can get the top floors.’

Armis to Aiko and Redstone: “I’ve never been to Singapore. Is the Star of the East Hotel a good place?”

Io to Armis: ‘I am insulted! Would I send you to a 1 star place?’ [chuckle]

Aiko: “The Star of the East? Five stars – but it’s owned by a Triad.”

Armis: “No, it’s not. That was part of the fall-out when a notorious Triad leader went down last year. I own it – but I’m trying to liquidate it. I have no use for a hotel in Singapore.”

Redstone: “Well ... you have a need for it now.” [laugh] “How do we set this up?”

Armis: “I’ll set it up ... or rather we will ... or perhaps you will. For now, I’d like to leave you here in Kyoto with Aiko, while I take my bodyguard to another site. If all goes well, we will be back in two days. Is that all right?”

Aiko looked at Sam and smiled. “I think we can arrange a tour of Japan’s most beautiful city that Mr. Redstone will like.”

Armis: “Then I shall leave him in your care. Don’t break him, he’s irreplaceable.”

The Empress Aiko smiled at her. Armis stood and walked out through the doors, following the map in her mind backwards to the ante-room where Hawkins waited with eyes closed, completely relaxed. Armis and he blipped out to the outskirts of Teheran a few moments later, with two stops, and took the woman who was a potential victim of an ‘honor killing’ out of Iran – took her eventually to London, Ontario.

An Iranian website reported that another woman was saved by the Hand of Mohammed from an honor killing. The Supreme Ayatollah Ahmad Yazdiri was furious that someone had meddled with ‘his’ website, and demanded to know who it was. Those in charge of the site reported that there was no record of anyone logging in and making any changes. After some consideration, Yazdiri decided that it must have been the Hand of Mohammed, indeed. After praying on the matter for several days -- and after a private audience with ‘The Hand’ herself (with two armed bodyguards) -- he announced that henceforth, ‘honor’ killings of anyone would stain the soul of Mohammed and would not be allowed. That did not stop them, of course, but they began to be less and less in the months that followed.


In the bookshelf-lined study in the Heian-kyō section of Kyoto, Empress Aiko smiled at her companion. “Would you mind terribly,” she met his gaze, “if I took you to the Imperial tailor? That is a nice suit but ... well ... is it J.C. Penny or Sears?” she laughed.

Sam Redstone tried to puff up, but his normal stance had him nearly at maximum already. “I’ll have you know I got this suit at a buy-one-get-one-free sale at Thomas Edges, one of Saskatoon’s finest department stores.”

Aiko: “Oh ... I’m so sorry. I didn’t know.”

Redstone: “You didn’t let me finish.” [laugh] “But I’ll always allow a beautiful woman to dress me anyway she likes ... Especially if she’s an Empress.”

Aiko: “Good ... Now, let’s get some lunch!”


Kindu, Jamhuri ya Kati Africa

‘Jamhuri ya Kati Afrika’ is Swahili for ‘Republic of Central Africa.’ It covers a portion of the eastern portion of the Republic of the Congo, all of Rwanda, all of Burundi, the southern half of Uganda, and a large hunk of western Tanzania. Pelo Ma’alangu will summarily execute anyone who does not use the Swahili version.

Kindu, a city in the Congolese portion, was named the capital city of Jamhuri ya Kati Afrika. It was so named by Kanali (or Colonel) Pelo Ma’alangu of the Jeshi, Bure Watu (Free Peoples Army). Pelo was the leader of the Jeshi, which had about 120,000 ‘troops’ of all ages – the oldest was a cadre of hired mercs and the youngest was a very large compliment of 7-11 year olds.

On Saturday, March 15, the 16 members of the Armis Brigade, all in camo with a shoulder patch of a white starburst that had become the Brigade’s trademark – all 16 of them (minus Sam Redstone) were gathered in a jungle clearing about two kilometers from the headquarters of Pelo Ma’alangu. Armis was just beaming in with a large crate of weaponry. It was 0430, local time.

Armis began beaming a quarter of the Brigade into Pelo’s house, under the command of Raven DuBois – two quick trips: blip, blip. His in-house security were targeted and in one case, shot and killed by a laser rifle, which of course, didn’t make a sound. The other security guard was cuffed and left in a corner, under guard.

The remaining portion of the Brigade was arranged around the clearing under the command of Bob Melchior and Billy Joe Hawkins. There was little activity in the pre-dawn hours. The houses and huts around the clearing would hold perhaps 100 men – well, men and children. The number of hard-core mercs was, by Io’s estimate, about 150; all were ‘officers’ of the Jeshi, Bure Watu. An unknown number of them were here, in the capital of Jamhuri ya Kati Afrika. The three perimeter guards were young men – perhaps teenagers – and were easily overcome. They were disarmed, plastic tied, and gagged. Only one guard was assigned to watch over the very frightened ‘soldiers.’

Armis, DuBois, and one of the Brigade walked quietly into Ma’alangu’s bedroom and found a grisly scene: Pelo was asleep on one side of the bed and a small lump was under the sheet and mosquito netting on the other. There was blood staining the sheet on the side of the lump, and a smear of blood on the sheet covering Pelo. A pair of laser target markers appeared on his chest, while the man was still sleeping. DuBois motioned to Armis.

Armis lifted the mosquito netting and pulled the sheet off the bed, waking Pelo. The area around his naked groin was splattered with blood. But the small lump on the other side of the bed turned Armis’ stomach; the armed soldiers with her were inured to violence, but they were affected as well. It was a female infant, and her crotch was a grisly mess of partially coagulated blood. The man’s hand was wrapped around her throat, even as he slept.

As he awoke, Pelo startled and made a reach for his holster on his bedside table. “Go ahead, reach for the gun,” came from Armis’ amulet in Swahili. “Please.”

The man’s eyes quickly swept the room, noted the laser rifles aimed at him, and froze.

Armis asked, “What in all the hells of the universe went on here last night?”

“It was necessary. It is my medical treatment. It is required every week,” replied Pelo Ma’alangu, calmly. He obviously didn’t think there was anything to be ashamed of.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.