Armis & Io - Cover

Armis & Io

Copyright© 2016 by Harry Carton

Chapter 26

All in all, the financial doings took about six months and didn’t involve Armis or her team of SEALs or her mercenaries. While the billionaires around the world were being stripped of money, Armis toured the planet, handing out two meter³ boxes. They were pretty heavy and bulky so she made only symbolic appearances, and her security team didn’t want to risk her in what were after all ‘just deliveries.’ The magbottles and replicators were mostly delivered by air: planes, then helicopter. There was always a technician with them -- and a security person or two, if needed.

Tokyo, Japan

Prime Minster Hiro Sato of the center-left coalition government sat in his office one fine Tokyo Monday morning, when Armis appeared just outside the open door. She knocked politely on the door, causing the startled (male) secretary to leap to his feet and begin to apologize to Sato.

Armis: “Please don’t. It is I who am intruding.”

Sato: “Oh. Ms Armis. I have been expecting a visit from you for several weeks.”

Armis: “I apologize for the delay. I have many things to do, and there is only one of me.”

Sato: “No need for an apology, Ms Armis. Won’t you please come in ... Hideki, will you please set up the comm meeting we have talked about ... Ms Armis, I have taken the liberty of setting up this meeting with leaders of several parties, including Her Majesty, Empress Aiko.”

After generations uncounted, in April of 2044, the Japanese legislature amended the law governing succession to the Chrysanthemum Throne to allow for males or females to be emperors. Empress Aiko succeeded to the throne 18 months later, on the death of her father after a long fight with pancreatic cancer. She was 6 years old at the time. Now she was 25 and had taken over from the Protector General four years ago. The Protector General, the Empress’ uncle, had performed the ceremonial duties for her, during her minority. The Japanese Emperor or Empress wasn’t a lawmaker, she was only a constitutional or ceremonial monarch.

Armis: “Oh. That is unusual, but if you think it best, of course, that is acceptable.”

Sato led the way over to a large screen where six windows were visible. One by one they popped up, filling the windows, showing the leading members of the two governing coalition parties with Sato, the two major opposition parties, the Empress Aiko, and the ex-Protector General who was second in line to the throne.

Sato: “Your Majesty, Crown Prince Nishi, and members of Parliament. May I present to you the Lady Armis.”

Only the Empress spoke. “Welcome to Japan, Lady Armis.” She was an attractive young woman, dressed in a traditional silk robe, but she wore her hair in a nearly-shoulder length cut – not traditional at all. She spoke English without accent, as did Sato. The others spoke with more or less ease in English.

Armis: “Your Majesty, please. Just Armis.”

Aiko: “Then you shall call me Aiko.”

There was an audible intake of breath from the leader of the opposition Conservative Union, a Mr. Riento Suki.

Armis: “I would be honored. Perhaps we can meet privately, some day, to discuss ... many things.”

Aiko: “Of course.”

Armis: “Are we being recorded?”

Sato: “Yes, of course. If you wish I will turn it off.”

Armis: “No need. We can decide what to do with the recording later ... First of all, I wish to apologize for any disruption I have caused in the Japanese economy. It will only accelerate, I’m afraid. Early next year, in 2064, I expect to be making announcements that will further my aims of peaceful global unification.”

Sato: “Unification, Armis?”

Armis: “Just so, Prime Minister. For over a hundred years, the United Nations has functioned as a platform for talking among the countries of the world. When poverty and famine has been put behind us, I hope that the U.N. – or a successor organization – can be formed to unify the globe.”

Sato: “Uh...”

Aiko: “Excuse me, Minister. Armis, we Japanese are a proud people. A people not used to domination or governance by an outside agency ... Under what terms do you foresee this unification to take place?”

Armis: “I do not know. It is for the people of Earth to decide. But know this: If you – and here I mean the people of Earth – decide NOT to unify under a single government, it will be very difficult or even impossible to interact with other planets. You will overpopulate your planet or die from a plague.”

Sato: “Plague?”

Armis: “I don’t have any information about any particular plague. It will be some virus or other. But if you don’t do something, Earth is doomed. In my opinion.”

Daigo Chiba was the leader of the People’s Movement, a very socialist, almost Communist party.

Chiba: “Opinion? How can we trust an opinion from a person we do not know?”

Sato: “We must each form our own opinion. Whether we believe what Armis says or not, we must decide what to do if there is a movement to unify the planet.”

Nishi: “Your Majesty, we have had some discussion on this matter have we not?”

Aiko: “Yes, uncle. We have. I think I speak for the Royal House. We would sooner be part of something that survives than standing alone as we die. But it would be desirous if Japan were part of the decision makers in this new global government.”

Armis: “I agree. That would be best. But it will eventually be up to the people of the planet. ALL the people of the planet.”

There was a general silence. Then Armis said: “So, you need to decide who will speak for Japan. When I return, sometime in the next few months, we will make arrangements to move ahead.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.