Smoke and Mirrors - Cover

Smoke and Mirrors

Copyright© 2016 by Cuentista

Chapter 3

Fantasy Sex Story: Chapter 3 - Merlin Jacobs was a man who was successful in his career, not so successful in his love life. His hobby, collecting antiques, occasioned an encounter with a being that had a profound impact on both.

Caution: This Fantasy Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Paranormal  

Merlin didn’t summon Smoke for several days as his brain, generally adroit at following scientific concepts, tried to fathom the implications of this astounding revelation ... event ... happening ... thing! His poor stressed psyche was bouncing from pillar to post trying to absorb all that he’d learned so far, and he was so distracted at work that his boss finally called him into the office to ask why.

“Something on your mind, Merlin? You don’t seem to be your usual astute and focused self lately.”

The summons and the question didn’t come as any surprise because Merlin knew very well he was functioning at a sub-standard level. “Yeah, Jerry, I know and I’m really sorry about that. It’s just that there are some things on my mind and I can’t seem to shake them. I’ll do better, I promise.”

His boss smiled and said, “Look, Merlin, we all go through stressful times. I’ve already talked to personnel and they tell me you’ve got tons of vacation time on the books, so I’m suggesting you take a few days off and deal with whatever’s clouding your thoughts, maybe go on one of your hikes.”

Clouding my thoughts! Merlin almost laughed at how close his boss had come to the reality. “You know, things are kind of slow right now anyway, so I think I might just take you up on that offer. I’m sure a couple of weeks will do it.”

“Good! It’s settled then. Get the hell out of here and come back in two weeks with a fresh, rested mind and a renewed spirit. You’re one of our go-to people and we need you at your best. Steffany can cover for you in your absence.”

“Yeah, she’s good. I’ll feel comfortable letting her step in for a while.”

The boss stood and offered his hand. “Done!”

“Thanks, Jerry, I really appreciate your understanding. I’ll just stop by Steff’s office and fill her in on what’s happening in my department.”

“Yeah, you do that. And call me if I can help with anything, Okay?”

“You bet. See you in a couple of weeks.”

Merlin gathered up a few personal things from his office and stuffed them into his briefcase before tapping on Steffany Thomas’ door.

His knock was answered with terse, “Enter at your peril!”

He peeked around the door and asked, “Bad time?”

The attractive head of marketing looked up and laughed, “Oh, hi Merlin! Sorry, I thought you were the idiot salesman I’m expecting. He botched a big sale to a big hospital and I want him to know I’m not pleased. What can I do for you?”

He sat in the uncomfortable chair in front of her desk. “Steffany, I’m going to take a few days off to deal with some, uh, things. I’m wondering if you’d mind subbing for me; you know, use your genius and your legendary charm to ride herd on my accounts and my flock of eggheads.”

She smiled her most dazzling smile. “Of course I will! I was kinda wondering what’s been up with you for the past few days. You seem awfully distracted.”

“Thanks, Steff! You’re the best! I’ll feel a lot better knowing you’re covering for me.”

She laughed, “I don’t know if I’m the best, but I have it on good authority that I’m pretty damn good. You might want to check that out sometime.”

Even socially retarded Merlin couldn’t miss such a blatant flirtation and managed a sheepish grin. “Um, I’m pretty sure you’re way out of my league. Anyhow, thanks a lot for helping out, and feel free to call me at home if you have any questions. I’m not really going anywhere, I’m just gonna hang around the apartment and deal with some, uh, stuff, like I said.”

“Good! You can rest assured that your interests here are covered. And don’t sell yourself short, Merlin. I think you’re very much in my league. Think about it!”

“See you in a couple of weeks, Steff. Thanks again.”

There was a timid tap on the door just as he got up to leave. Merlin grinned at Steffany as he opened it. He looked the guilty salesman up and down and said, “It’s gonna suck bein’ you today, dude.”


On the way home from the office, Merlin’s mind was again distracted, but not by Smoke and the mirror. He was thinking about his short conversation with Steffany. In spite of his sometimes paralyzing shyness with women, he’d thought about asking her out on more than one occasion, but always chickened out at the last minute because ... well because she was Steffany the Beautiful and he was Merlin the Boring.

She was indeed a stunning beauty and she had a rapier wit to go along with her brilliant, insightful mind for business. He knew she was single (divorced), but he suspected that every hormone-charged male in the building was sniffing her trail and he didn’t like his odds. He never allowed himself to believe he stood a ghost of a chance with her.

But now her parting comments had him wondering about that. What she’d said was about as open an invitation as one could hope for. By the time he parked his Highlander in the basement of his apartment building, he’d decided he would ask her out, once his relationship with Smoke got settled in his mind. He was very well aware that most of his shyness was due to his fear of rejection, but she’d practically come right out and propositioned him.

In fact, maybe this was the exact kind of thing he could ask Smoke about! He could learn if asking her out would get anywhere, whether they’d be at all compatible. Fear of rejection wouldn’t be an issue because he would already know her answer before he even asked her. As he thought about it, a little thrill passed through his body and he felt a grin spread across his face as he rode the elevator to his floor.

In his apartment, he hung up his jacket, kicked off his shoes and went into the kitchen to brew a pot of green tea. As he passed the mirror in the hallway, he thought, “Okay, Smoke, let’s test your skills with something worthwhile.”

A few minutes later, mug of tea in hand, he stood in front of the mirror and said, “Smoke, come!”

Swirly clouds. “Yes, Merlin? How may I be of service?”

“Um, I have a personal question to ask.”

“I believe every question you ask is personal in some respects, isn’t it? Ask away.”

Merlin had to stop and think about how to put it without sounding like a horny, lovesick teenager. “Well see, there’s this woman in my office that I’d like to get to know better - you know, socially. A conversation I had with her a little earlier today gave me the impression she might say ‘yes’ if I asked her out. I guess my question to you is, uh, will it go anywhere if we start seeing each other?”

“Oh yes, Merlin, seeing Steffany Thomas will most definitely go somewhere.”

“Hey, I never said her name!”

“You didn’t have to. There’s only one woman representing a love interest in your immediate future, and it’s Steffany Thomas. I must say you have excellent taste in women!”

“Um, don’t you think a statement like that is a little chauvinistic?”

“If that’s how you interpret my comment, perhaps it’s you who are a little chauvinistic. I merely comment on her quality as a woman, and by quality, I don’t refer only to her uncommon beauty. She is a bright and capable woman in every respect. If you have designs on her, I encourage you to pursue them.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.