The Caveman
Chapter 45

Copyright© 2016 by Colin Barrett

I am sorry to leave this place. It is the place where I first come, where I first meet Linda, where I know happiness with Linda more than I ever know before.

But new dwelling is also fine, finer yet than this one, and land is very beautiful. There we will be nearer to others than here, but just as here, not to see if we do not wish. And there is great forest there, Linda says is “park” where all may go but rarely do. When I ask why few go there she says many prefer life in city such as where office is. I do not understand why any would wish to live among so many strangers, but she says city has good things too, she will show me later.

I will go with her to see, but I think I will never wish to live in this way.

Moving is not strange to me, I have done this before. After a time the land becomes weary and crop no longer grows well, and the prey becomes more cautious and we must hunt further and further away, and so we must leave and go elsewhere. But then no fine house awaits, we must work again to build and it is very difficult.

And when we move then, we must carry all with us or leave behind. In this place there are people who will take the things we have here and carry to new house for money. I see yet again how important it is that I will have money.

There are some things that I will not allow movers to take. My spears I will take with me. No man touches the spear of another without permission, even Siefert who leads the hunt will not do so. Spear needs great work, the shaft must be chosen with care and worked until it is straight and even and then head must be balanced and set in place with strong tie to hold. Each must do for his own hand, for each hunter has different way. Only when this is done will spear fly true; each will mark his spear and take it again after kill if it is not damaged.

I think it is foolish to take such care of spears now. I do not use for many moons, months, all time I am here except for throw I do for Danny and that is long ago. I lose my arm; and shaft is now old and will soon be dried and brittle so it will break more easily. I know also that I have no need of spear here.

Still, I do not wish to part from these spears, the only two I have left. I will never have another spear, there are none to knap flint for head. These are all I can have to tell me of my life before, and I will keep them with me.

It is the same with my vest and leggings, and with my spear-bag. They too are of my life then, and I wish to keep them near. Even the small piece of fur that is torn partly from my vest by aurochs’ horn and later comes away entirely, even that will I keep by me. I am comfortable to leave in house when I go elsewhere, as I did when Linda and I travel to city, but I will not give to mover to carry for me, these things will I take myself.

When Danny comes to help us with our move I am very pleased. It is the first time I have seen him since he left before, and I find that I still like him well. He has humor, and an ease about him that is good to me. Among my people there are few males I enjoy to be with for long; I know many and am friendly with them, but mostly I am with M’kamba and children and I prefer this. But Danny would be such a one in this place. We will live nearer to him where we go, so perhaps we will share company more often.

We put many things in cars, for Danny comes with very large one. It seems there is much that Linda, too, will not trust to movers. Her car becomes so full that I do not know where I will sit until she asks will I ride with Danny. I do this gladly, and we make much talk between us as we travel. It is good to have friend.

First night we must stay again in motel, new house has no furnishings. I laugh at myself that I may think this, for there are floors for sitting and sleeping and there is fire for cooking and there are walls and roof to protect from weather, and before I would have been content.

Do I grow too accustomed to the fine things of this place? Is it good that I do so? I do not know, but I am here now and it is as it was in my travels, I must do as those who live in the place. And I do that here with joy, for here I may be with Linda.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.