A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 1 - Bethany - Cover

A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 1 - Bethany

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 38: A New Year

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 38: A New Year - Steve may not have been closer to anyone, other than his sister, than Bethany. Her surprise decision to move to Chicago to complete her Master's degree and be closer to Steve cemented their relationship. The Vegas odds were on her becoming the future Mrs. Adams. But what if she also had ulterior motives behind leaving Madison, and her own agenda as well? What she held back from him is exactly what caused their plans to implode in dramatic fashion. Now, it’s time for them to pick up the pieces.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Mult   Romantic   Workplace   Polygamy/Polyamory   First   Slow  

December 31, 1986, Chicago, Illinois

My wives and I were eating breakfast when Elyse came into the kitchen. She sat down with us and I served her bacon, eggs, and pancakes.

"Jess, I really want to thank you for letting Steve spend two nights with me!" Elyse said.

"You're welcome," Jessica said. "How are you doing?"

"No morning sickness and I feel great!" Elyse said. "Especially the last two mornings!"

Jessica and Kara both laughed.

"We know how THAT feels!" Kara said with an impish smile. "What's the plan for tonight?"

"I invited the usual suspects," Elyse said. "Pete and Melanie, Jamie and Jackie, Kurt and Kathy, Dave and Julia, Chris and Cindi, and all our housemates. Kenneth and Katy already had plans. I also invited Steve's new friend Karl and his wife Ginny, and of course Nick and Stavros will be here. I talked to Alice, and she's going to let Penny come over and stay until just after midnight. I'm not sure if Leila has a date and Alejandra isn't back yet."

"I know it's kind of late, but if Leila doesn't have a date, maybe Nick can bring a friend," I suggested.

"I'll ask Bethany as soon as she wakes up," Elyse said.

"Kara, what do you think of inviting Carol? She could bring her kids and they could play with Jesse. It's not like we're wild and crazy partiers here."

"I think that might be good for her, but I'd be worried about her being bummed at midnight," Kara said.

"She'd be bummed at home, too," I said. "At least here she'd be with friends."

"I'll ask Bethany," Kara said. "If she thinks it's a good idea, we can call her."

"Did Jennie tell you that we visited?" I asked, turning to Elyse.

"She did. She said that Colin tried to wear you out, but you won."

"I can thank Sensei Jim for that!" I chuckled. "I don't run much anymore, but I'm going to karate at least five times a week, and often six, so my endurance is pretty good. And I take a walk nearly every day after lunch, too. So I can at least measure up against a nearly six-year-old boy."

"What's the plan for the rest of the day before the party?" Jessica asked.

"I don't have one," I said.

My wives and I ended up spending most of the day in the Indian room, cuddling, reading, and talking. About 4:00pm I went to the kitchen with Sofia to help prepare the smörgåsbord. We couldn't exactly replicate all the foods, but we found reasonable alternatives. We also couldn't get the traditional «julmust» soft drink, so we substituted the closest thing that I knew — root beer.

Sofia drafted Stavros, and my wives pitched in to get everything to the table in the dining room. We called all our guests to come and get their food, and everyone spread out around the house to eat. Bethany had felt it would be OK to invite Carol, and she and the kids came for dinner. Jesse was ecstatic to see Francesca, and they spent nearly every minute together. Nick had rounded up a couple of friends and brought them with him, which made the ratio of girls to guys a bit more even.

Carol and her kids left about 9:00pm, about the time that most people went up to the attic to dance. For the next few hours, dance partners changed regularly, though I kept an eye on Penny to make sure she wasn't getting too friendly with either of the naval officers who Nick had brought with him. Alice had loosened up her restrictions, but Penny wasn't supposed to drink, smoke, or slow dance with anyone that wasn't a very close friend of mine. Of course, Penny took every opportunity to try to grab me for slow dances, much to Kara's amusement.

"She really hasn't given up, has she?" Kara asked mirthfully as she and I danced to Broken Wings by Mr. Mister.

"She met a new guy at her last dance. He's a Senior like she is and is likely going Navy ROTC."

"This place is going to be overrun with sailors!" Kara laughed.

"Going to be?" I replied. "Though we don't have ROTC midshipmen hanging around here."

"I'm sure I could meet some," Kara said, rubbing her body against me as we danced.

"Oh, I'm sure that you could!" I chuckled. "But you won't."

"No, I won't. I don't even dance that close with Kurt or Jamie."

"But you don't have a problem with me dancing close to Penny or Leila?"

"No. That's you. I'm me. I'm secure in our relationship!"

"You say that like you are implying that Jess isn't."

"She's not," Kara said. "But not because of other girls. Jess is worried about how her Residency is going to impact our marriage."

"Why?" I asked. "She'll be here and we won't have to burn all those hours going back and forth between Indianapolis. How could it be worse?"

"You and I know that, Snuggle Bear. Jess doesn't see it that way."

"So what do we do?" I asked.

"Love her and reassure her," Kara said. "She's afraid that she's going to do something to blow the relationship apart."

"Which kind of explains the conversation we had in the sauna the other day. I assume that you two talked about it?"

"Yes, it's why I stayed with Jess the two extra days," Kara said.

We finished our dance, and I walked over to Jessica and took her out on the dance floor as the stereo played Take My Breath Away by Berlin. I had an uneasy feeling, and I wanted to say something to her, but I knew it was neither the time nor the place. She'd be in Chicago for another day, and then we were going to Indianapolis, so we'd certainly be able to talk about it. I just held her in my arms and enjoyed the closeness.

Just before midnight, we gathered in the great room and poured champagne for everyone except Jessica and Penny. I'd bought the usual bottle of sparkling grape juice for them, and I made sure they got the correct glasses. We counted down the seconds and toasted, then the couples shared kisses.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Nick and Bethany kissing, a kiss that conveyed nearly as much as the parakeets had. Penny got a quick kiss from me, and then Jackie walked her next door as Alice and I had agreed would happen.

After the toast, people spread out around the house, and I ended up playing pool with Kurt, Karl, Pete, Dave, and Jamie. Around 2:00am, Nick and his friends from Great Lakes left, as did Karl and Ginny. By 3:00am, everyone who didn't live with us had left, and my wives and I headed up to bed.

January 1, 1987, Chicago, Illinois

"Babe, do you want to talk to me about your concerns?" I asked as the three of us lay in bed together around 9:00am.

"Kara told you," she sighed.

"Yes, Jess," Kara said softly. "I had to. We love you!"

"Babe, you are not going to do anything that will blow the relationship apart! Things are going to get better because you'll be here full time! I originally signed-up for us being apart most of the time for seven years! I'm not sure why you're so worried. I think all you need to do is relax and focus on finishing your last semester of medical school. Then you'll be here full time. I really think it's the time away that's causing your issues."

"You think so?" she said, snuggling closer.

"I do. I think that after you were here for a couple of months doing your ER Sub-I, and then went back to Indy, it just messed with your head. It was like you were leaving us. Look at the positive side of things. You'll be here all of February and all of April. And June 1st, you'll be here full time! I can't imagine you not Matching with UofC with Doctor Barton's influence. And if somehow that doesn't work out, you'll be at Loyola or Northwestern. There is no need to be insecure!"

"But I'm going to be even more crabby and more tired than I was when I did the ER Sub-I!"

"So?" I said. "I love you, Jess, and this is going to work. I believe in us — you, me, and Kara — and we will make this work. There is nothing bad going on here. Nothing at all."

"You don't feel tied down?" she asked.

I laughed, "I'm in bed with two beautiful women who love having sex with me and with each other! That certainly doesn't feel like being tied down! I get to do pretty much anything I want. I'm happy!"

"Pretty much?" Jessica asked.

"There are lines that can't be crossed, no matter how much desire is there. We've talked about Penny. And the current arrangement with her is exactly the right one. In a sense, it's no different from my rule about being with someone who is in a committed relationship."

"Will you promise me something?"

"It depends on what it is."

"That you'll do what you need to do to be happy."

"You and Kara make me happy, Jess. And so does Jesse. And so will my baby with Elyse. And, believe it or not, so does work. The three of us found the right solution. The only thing that makes me unhappy is you being unhappy."

"Same here," Kara said. "I don't think Steve needs the same things he used to need to be happy. He's changed. You've helped him change, Jess."

"You did the hard work for me!" Jessica said. "Well, you and Bethany. Speaking of which, Tiger, do you know why she wants me to read her research paper?"

"I assume it's because you did your undergrad in psychology," I replied carefully. "She thought you might be interested. Not to mention the fact that she's soliciting help for her ideas on rape, incest, and couples counseling from just about anyone she can think of. It's a subject that's pretty near and dear to her heart."

"I suppose that makes sense," Jessica said. "She is totally focused on those issues, and with good reason, given her history. Have you read it?"

"Yes. And I sat through her presentation to her professors in Madison. She got some grief about one of the studies. I think it'll be obvious which one it is when you read it."

"We should probably get some breakfast so we can head back to Indy," Jessica said. "I have to be at work at 8:00am tomorrow morning. You guys are OK with being there while I'm working?"

"I plan to work tomorrow," I said. "And Kara has a new hobby!"

"Besides us?" Jessica teased.

"Yes!" Kara giggled. "Counted cross-stitch. Cindi used to do it when she lived here and I found it fascinating. I'm just learning, so it takes me a lot longer to do it than it does Cindi."

"What are you stitching?"

"Right now, it's just a sampler that has the letters of the alphabet, numbers, and a very simple border. It's a way to learn. Once I finish that one, I want to do one with our vows."

"That's cool!" Jessica said.

We got out of bed, showered, dressed, packed our bags, and then went down to the kitchen for a late breakfast.

January 2, 1987, Indianapolis, Indiana

"Tiger, when will you talk to Stephie?" Jessica asked as we ate breakfast at the small table in her kitchenette.

"I think they're supposed to be home from the Bahamas on Monday," I said. "If she doesn't call me, then I'll call her a week from tomorrow. I really need to leave this to them on their schedule."

"Are you doing OK?"

I nodded, "I am. I think it's going to be hard to see her, knowing what's going to happen. I think that's when I'll have serious struggles and be very emotional."

"You need to do your best to be strong," Kara said. "For her sake."

I sighed, "I know. Can we change the subject, please?"

"Have you heard from Jorge?" Jessica asked.

"I haven't, but Stephanie called him yesterday. He wasn't anywhere near the hotel in San Juan that caught fire. Can we change the subject to something OTHER than death and destruction?"

"When are Bethany and Nick going to marry?" Jessica asked.

"If it's that obvious to you, then I'd say soon," I replied with a smile. "Between the parakeets and the kisses I saw on New Year's Eve, I'd say it's only a matter of time. A short amount of time."

"I saw those kisses," Jessica said. "They'll be knocking boots before too long."

"I'd say that you're probably right about that. He's a goner once that happens!"

Kara giggled, "You always did like fooling around with her!"

"Did you have a thing for cheerleaders?" Jessica asked with a smirk as she got up from the table.

"No. Most of them weren't worth the energy to look at my watch to give them the time of day. Bethany and Kathy were different. I tended to avoid the jocks and cheerleaders, as well as the stoners and burnouts."

"Our husband was a total nerd!" Kara said. "Well, except for the amount of sex he had!"

Kara and I got up from the table and cleaned up while Jessica dressed for work. She came out of the bedroom dressed quite nicely, in a skirt and blouse, as well as her white lab coat.

"I don't know," I said. "The outfit is nice, but the scrubs seem sexier, for some reason!"

"I'm not SUPPOSED to be sexy, you pig!" Jessica said with a laugh. "I'm supposed to be professional. Sexy is for home. Or do you WANT doctors to hit on me?"

"I thought you were immune to medical professionals. That's why you hooked up with a computer programmer and a future chemistry professor!"

"Hooked up? Is THAT what this is?" she asked in mock outrage.

"Go to work, Babe," I smirked. "When you come home, I'll fuck you senseless!"

The three of us laughed and then exchanged hugs before Jessica walked out the door. I sat down at my computer and Kara took out her cross-stitch. Four hours later, Kara shook my arm and said it was time for lunch.

"Sorry, Honey," I said, as I snapped out of my 'zone'.

"It's OK," Kara said. "Jess seemed to be in a better mood this morning, don't you think?"

"I do. Hopefully, she'll stop worrying and relax about things. The one thing that really bugged me was that she thought I was feeling tied down. Do I give off that vibe?"

"No, I don't think so. I think she's just reacting to how you were before. She didn't expect you to change so radically and she thinks she might be stifling you."

"She's not," I said. "But how do I convince her of that? A dalliance? I'm just not in the mood for something like that, and it's not Jessica's fault, if you get what I mean."

"I do. You're a very different person than you were eighteen months ago. But I will suggest something."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Keep an open mind about it. Don't stifle yourself to try to make Jessica happy. I'm not saying that you are, I just don't want what she's feeling to come true because you're worried about her."

I nodded, "I get what you're saying — that I could tie myself in knots worrying about keeping her happy, and end up unhappy, thus fulfilling her nightmare scenario."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.