The Slow Quickstep
Chapter 12

Copyright© 2016 by Kaffir

Allie and Toby did not even make it to the sofa. Toby stopped and knelt. Allie turned to face him. His arms went round her and he held her to him, his head against her breast. She ran her fingers through his hair, stroked his cheek then turned his face up to hers and very gently kissed him. He stroked her back with both hands.

“My Allie,” he little more than whispered. “My precious, little Allie. I love you.”

His hold tightened and she whimpered then nodded. “And I don’t have to bottle up mine for you any longer, my Toby. I can show the world your mine, my darling man. I’ve waited so long for this.”

“And tomorrow you shall have my ring on your finger to prove it for all to see.”

“Oh, Toby! Yes please! Yes please!”

Her attempt to jig up and down with excitement was a failure. He was holding her too close. His hands went under his arms and he stood lifting her off the floor, moved to the sofa and sat down with her across his knee. Their lips met and, for the first time, their kiss was passionate and prolonged.

“Oof!” exclaimed Allie finally pulling back and then gasping for breath. She looked at him wide-eyed. “I never knew kissing could be like that!” she panted finally.

Toby shook his head. “Nor did I. We’re going to have to do a lot more to build up our stamina.”

Allie nodded hard. “Um ... Toby, w-when are we going to make love?”

Toby smiled at her. “It all depends whose impatience wins.”

“Or who is the least unworried about parental reaction.”

Toby’s smile broadened. “I could put money on that.”

“Beast!” She looked thoughtful for a moment. “I’ll talk to Mum when things have died down a bit.”

“OK.”

“What about getting married?”

“I think I ought to have found myself a job first so that I can afford the rent on somewhere to live and to support my wife in the manner to which she is accustomed.”

Allie giggled. “Pompous prig!”

Toby nodded solemnly even though his eyes were dancing. “Kiss me again. It might soften my resolve.”

Allie did so with alacrity and enthusiasm. Toby was immediate to respond. At last they both drew back and looked at each other.

“The day before yesterday to both your questions judging by that,” said Toby.

“I wish!” snorted Allie.

They both tightened their hold on each other.

“Oh, my Toby!” whispered Allie. “My precious darling Toby.” She paused. “It’s not just you finding a job. I’ve still got Grade 8 to do, my voice training and the RCM won’t accept me for a couple of years. Your mum would be very upset if I deserted her beforeGradel 8 and I wouldn’t necessarily find someone who thinks the same way. We’re both so in tune with each other. So that means next April at the earliest.”

“Well that would give me bags of time to find a job.”

Allie nodded. “It’ll need to be in London though with me at the RCM. Have you got any ideas?”

“Well I talked to my tutor and he said it all depended on what level of degree I got. After the three year course I will emerge with a BA but could then, up to three years later go back for an MA one year course. My tutor tried to persuade me to stay on for the fourth year now but I said that despite my scholarship I couldn’t go on sponging off my father for another year.”

Allie nodded understandingly.

“He said that if when I got my BA I asked him to write a recommendation he would be more than happy to do so as he foresaw me coming back to Cambridge as a don or better.”

“Oh wow!”

“So, and it’s little more than an idea, I could apply to St Paul’s School which is just south of Hammersmith Bridge. If I got a job there we could find somewhere small and reasonably inexpensive to live a bit further south and both commute.”

“But not until I’m at the RCM.”

“Not necessarily. Yes, you need to stay here until you’ve got Grade 8 but do you still need the same voice tutor? I mean that will be your second string at RCM.”

Allie nodded. “I need to talk to your mum though.”

“Yes, my precious one.”

“Toby?”

“Yes, my darling?”

“I need another kiss.”

“Same here.”

It was another passionate one but somehow the fact that they had made a joint decision seemed to deepen it.

There was a knock on the door and Leah poked her head round it. “Sups in quarter of an hour,” she said. “Are you going to join us for a drink?”

“You bet,” chorused Allie and Toby and clambered to their feet. They went into the kitchen still hand in hand though.

“Drinks,” said Sean as though nothing out of the ordinary had happened. “What would you like, Allie?”

“White wine, Dad?”

“Coming up! Toby?”

“Beer please, Sean.”

“You know where it is. Help yourself.”

Toby did so and returned to Allie’s side and hand.

“So Mum and Dad have gone home,” said Toby.

“Temporarily,” replied Leah. “I’d catered for you but not them so they’ve gone to collect theirs and bring it over.”

Toby felt a lump in his throat and was unable to respond. Allie did not and jumped up and down with pleasure and excitement.

“So, Toby, did you keep up the squash?”

“Yes,” replied Toby with a big smile, “and got my Blue.”

“I told you, Dad,” said Allie protestingly.

“I’m sure you did, poppet,” said Sean airily, “but you tell me such a lot that I had forgotten.”

Allie growled at him then grinned and stuck out the tip of her tongue.

“Watch it, you rude little girl.”

“Early onset of senile forgetfulness,” she teased and then, letting go of Toby, ran and kissed him.

The Robertses arrived and shortly afterwards everyone settled down to eat. It was not until coffee that Leah raised the subject of marriage.

“We’ve been talking about it, Mum,” said Allie.

Nessa snorted and pointed at Leah who grinned. Both fathers remained silent but winked at each other.

“Go on then,” said Leah.

“What’s so funny, Mum?”

“We all reckoned you would but even quicker than expected.”

Allie looked down for a moment and then smiled at Toby who smiled back.

“They know us better than we do,” he said. “Are you going to tell them what we thought?”

“No, my masterful man, I’ll deal with the minutiae and any errors.”

The parents exploded and Toby wagged a finger at Allie who grabbed and kissed it.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.