Changing Life - Cover

Changing Life

Copyright© 2016 by SW MO Hermit

Chapter 7

An older and wiser Jack Johnson stood at the head of the brow before disappearing into the Star Ship Glorious. He turned and looked over the crowd cheering and waving as he prepared to depart for the first interstellar flight of humanity’s new era. He was still amazed at the changes that came about because he felt the need to escape his old life and change his life so many years ago.

Jack was still uncomfortable with his position in the country, nay, in the world. He held the position many people strived for through the ages—he was looked upon as the power behind the throne not only for the United States but for the world. Most of the worlds governments were kinder, gentler more in tune with the principles of a now long dead empire. The land that Jack informally controlled through those of his people that were in elective and appointive office encompassed the entire North American continent and Central America. Most of the old British Commonwealth was closely aligned with his group as was Germany. Laws and regulations were now in place based on looser Imperial laws in most of the worlds nations. These laws actually helped the population and protected the people from those that would take advantage of them.

Jack moved to a microphone and stood resplendent in his uniform. He faced the gathered crowd and looked into the myriad of video cameras. He began speaking, “I don’t know what to say on this momentous occasion. I remember back to a day almost exactly twenty years ago when I boarded this same ship while United States Marines fired on me and my first crew. We wondered where we would go and how we became such pariahs. There was discussion about abandoning earth and trying to find a new home among the stars. In the end we elected not to do that. We decided to remain on earth until such time as it either became impossible or we could do as we are doing today and make the trip in peace for the entire human race.

“I am gratified at the outpouring of well wishes. I take the hopes of our world with us as we make this historic voyage. I am confident this world is well embarked on its journey to greatness beyond the wildest speculation of just a few years ago. I look forward to seeing the magnificent changes you make during the duration of our voyage.”

There was a roar as Jack stepped back from the microphone, waved once again and disappeared into Glorious. After the hatch closed Glorious slowly and majestically rose from her resting place. She moved upward slowly, then faster and faster until with a clap of sound she disappeared into the blackness of space headed for the unknown once more.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.