Learning Assistance - Cover

Learning Assistance

Copyright© 2016 by radio_guy

Chapter 21

After lunch, we enjoyed the balcony some more with Trevor and Sheila in attendance. Annette had duties but said she would return later.

Karen wanted to swim and took my hand to guide me into the bedroom to change into “red.” In there, she said, “I’m not sure I’m willing to wear this suit into water in public. However, we have worn red in public and will again today.” We changed into our red thongs, put red thong sandals on our feet and pulled a pair of shorts that matched over our bottoms. We returned to the balcony, where Karen announced, “We’re headed upstairs to swim. Back soon.”

Her parents waved, smiling. Sheila looked over our outfits and nodded. We left to take the stairs with nothing else but our golden cards. We arrived to see some people from the other suites and a couple of the staterooms that I thought I recognized from the dining room.

We grabbed towels and set them and our cards on adjoining loungers, stripped off our shorts and sandals, and went into the water. It was not the shock to our “audience” that we had experienced when wearing “red” at home. We did receive some thorough looks from people.

The pool was warm and fun. Both of us swam some laps and then just played in the water. We got out and lay down on the loungers. A steward came by and asked if we would like anything. We both chose non-alcoholic pina coladas which were quickly delivered. We were sipping them and getting some more sun. We both had good tans everywhere already. Karen talked in a low voice, “Brad, we might consider a pool at our house. We have plenty of land.”

“Yes, we could. The question is more likely, should we? We should make some long-term decisions on where we will live and what we will do once we’re finished with school. For resale purposes, we haven’t been thoughtful on our house already. I want us to think it over and even talk to Marcie before we decide.”

We sat back and I snoozed a bit. I slowly woke to a noise. Karen was holding my hand comfortably. I heard a man’s voice. I heard her reply. “I’m sitting with my husband. We don’t party separately. All our friends are couples and church-goers.”

That statement alarmed me a little. It was true but Karen usually wouldn’t mention that to a stranger except to make a point. I opened by eyes and looked over Karen to see an older man sitting on an adjoining lounger. He was one of those “brutal” looking ones. I made noises like I was waking up and sat up. I said, “Hello. I’m Brad Gillis.” I left a silence for him.

After a moment, he said, “I am Marco, Marco Guzman. Elena and I have a suite on your level. I have seen you in the dining room.”

I said, “Ah, yes. I remember. You’re in a big party. It’s just Karen and I and her parents. Both couples of us are celebrating anniversaries.”

“That is excellent. Elena and I celebrated our fourth a month ago. This cruise is for Elena’s mother. She is sixty tomorrow. We will celebrate at dinner tomorrow.”

Karen said, “That’s great! We will be glad to help sing ‘happy birthday’ to her.”

“Thank you. Her mother commented upon your beauty Missus Gillis. She would be even more complimentary if she saw you up here sunning. She can’t stand too much sun and is resting now. She is a widow and Elena and I try to include her as much as possible in our lives.”

Karen said, “I understand. I am an only child and we try to include my parents a lot. It helps that they and we all like each other.”

Marco said, “You seem to be quite young, like in college?”

Karen smiled. “Yes, my Uncle Rudolph is paying for this cruise. I am his only niece and my mother is his only sibling. He likes lavish gifts. We are enjoying the luxuries.”

I said, “He would be here but was called away for work. He owns a number of businesses and they sometimes make demands upon his time. He had insurance on his trip. This has happened before on plans of his.”

Karen said, ‘He is older than my mother but never married. Since my mother is the only sibling so he hasn’t much choice but to put up with us.”

Marco said, “I can imagine that being with his only relatives is good for him. Your tone suggests that he is well liked by you.”

Marco looked to be late thirties or early forties. A much younger woman walked up. Marco said, “Elena, please meet Karen and Brad Gillis. They are celebrating their first anniversary. Karen’s parents on this cruise are celebrating an anniversary, too.”

Elena smiled, “The two of you are a great looking couple. We are going to celebrate my mother’s birthday. She is a widow. My father was killed in an airplane crash three years ago and she has been lonely. She mentioned you two and how you seemed to be very much in love. I would appreciate you stopping by and speaking to her next time you see her.”

Karen said, “Elena, we will be delighted to do that. What is her name so we may be personal?”

Marco said, “It is Marisol Hernandez. Thank you. You will make her moment. Elena and I will be thankful.” He smiled and gave us an informal salute as they stood and left the area.

Karen and I looked at each other with some surprise. Karen said, “That’s what we get for making assumptions based on looks. He is a very nice man.”

I grinned. “It’s easy to be nice to a beautiful woman.”

We lay back and absorbed some more sun. After a while, we returned to our suite to shower and dress for supper.

Annette was there to talk about tomorrow’s trip. She said, “We have arranged for the SUV and Trevor will drive. It gives me a chance to talk about what we will see on the way. The restaurant is expecting us. Then, Sheila will take over for Xel Ha.”

We all had a before dinner drink expertly prepared by Trevor while we listened to Annette. Karen was snuggled in next to me on a couch. Annette finished talking and we headed for the dining room with Trevor leading us. We arrived and he offered us menus helping James, our server. Karen and I talked over the choices and chose a shrimp cocktail and a pork medallion dish for an entree. James suggested a white for us. Mister and Missus Mason chose beef for entrees and fried vegetables. James suggested a red for them.

We all nodded. The bottles were brought out and Trevor asked if any of us were knowledgeable in tasting wine. Mister Mason and I both said we would need lessons. Both ladies smiled. Knowing that Karen loved me gave me comfort that I didn’t have to be macho about anything.

Trevor and James showed us how to open a bottle. James said, “Now, it’s the taste.” He poured just a little in Karen’s glass and mine of the white. Trevor did the same for Missus Mason’s and Mister Mason’s glasses for the red. “This is a four step process. First, you look at the wine before a white background. The main thing you are trying to determine is that it’s not cloudy. Cloudy wine is usually not good. Second, you swirl the wine in the glass observing the color and allowing the aroma to be released. Third, you smell it. There are expectations for each type of wine’s aroma. Fourth, and finally, you taste it letting it swirl in your mouth to get the full flavor.” He grinned. “Assuming you find those three satisfactory, you smile and wave at your server to fill the glasses.” Laughing, we went through the process with the ladies waving to them to serve us all our requested wine. I thought it tasted great but I also knew that none of us were expert or even experienced at judging wine.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.