Learning Assistance
Chapter 17

Copyright© 2016 by radio_guy

She returned ten minutes later. She said, “We have a firm price on the two you drove. We will hold that price as long as both vehicles are here.” She showed us the paper with the offer. They were seven hundred dollars higher than Karen’s number which made it a very good deal according to what we had found.

Karen said, “We need to talk for a moment. Brad, let’s go outside where we can look at the cars. Brenda, wait for us a moment. We’ll come back inside no matter what.” Brenda nodded. We went outside.

We walked over to where the two were parked. Karen said, “I like them and that’s a great price. I think the Sonata might be around but my web info says Tucson’s sell fast.”

I said, “Honey, it’s okay by me. The price is good. We like the cars. I can call Jim and the bank will wire the funds.”

“Okay, let’s do it.” She kissed me. Now, I knew I was agreeable.

We went inside. Karen said, “Brenda, you have a deal. What do we need to do now?”

“I have to get you to my finance manager.” We looked at her curiously. “Even though you’re paying cash, he writes up the paperwork on all sales.”

We went into another office. We met Morris Jensen, who handled the paperwork by running it through his computer while trying to interest us in financing our purchases. I finally said, “Mister Jensen, I appreciate the possibilities of financing but we will pay cash. The question is do you want a check, credit card, or have Community wire the funds?”

He started. “We would need the funds wired to complete the transaction today.”

“Fine,” I said. “I will call Jim Casper.” I pulled my phone out and called him from my list. “Good afternoon, Jim. We’re at the Hyundai dealership and each of us will buy a car. Their finance guy, Morris Jensen, needs to speak to you with their details for a funds transfer.” I handed my phone to Jensen saying, “It’s Jim Casper.”

“Mister Casper, this is Morris Jensen.” He listened. “Yes, Sir. I have the total right here. We bank at Community, too.” After another pause, he said, “Yes, Sir. I will need to call Paul Novate, our branch manager, to verify that.” After another pause, he said, “Yes, Sir. I will tell them.” He thumbed the off button and handed my phone back to me.

He smiled. “I do have to verify the transfer. Mister Casper said that he and Elaine want to see your new cars.”

Karen grinned. “Elaine is his girl. I think they’re close to getting engaged.” She looked at me. “Brad, call Suzie-Q. You can pick her up and she can drive your old car to her dorm. I think you should bring me the insurance card first. I will call on that. We will leave the old one covered for a while and work out the rest. Should I get full coverage, Honey?”

“Yes, but be sure there is a big deductible.” I stood.

Karen said, “I will sign on the Sonata and Brad will sign on the Tucson when he returns. It won’t take long.” I left calling Suzie-Q to pick her up. She was available and waiting when I pulled up outside her dorm.

She got in and said, “I guess your old car will go back to being parked outside this girls’ dorm again. You and Karen won’t be here this time around so it will stay quiet.”

I said, “Thanks, Sis.” I grimaced. “I’ll give you my keys to this one. You will have wheels now. We can figure out a permanent solution later. Just drop me off and we’ll drive our new cars to the apartment.”

I pulled up and got out. I removed my keys from my key ring and gave them to her. She said, “I want to see your new cars before I go.” I shrugged and she went into the showroom with me.

“Karen! You finally have a car.” They hugged.

Karen said, “Suzie-Q, it’s good to see you. Brad needs to sign papers. I’ll show you our new cars.” I went over to Morris and started signing to confirm the purchase.

He said, “Mister Casper transferred the funds for both cars while you were gone. All that’s left is bit of paperwork and everything is finished. You’ll be riding in just a few more minutes.”

It was more than “just a few” minutes but not very long. Both vehicles had also been washed and tanked up with gas while I was gone. We drove back to the apartment proudly. Once there, we showed them off to Melissa and Paul.

Jim called and asked if he and Elaine could come over. I told them yes and we could get something to eat. They came over to the apartment and the six of us went to dinner enjoying it immensely.

The guys rode in my Tucson and the girls rode in Karen’s Sonata. I realized that it was the first time we had gone to the same place separately. That was a sad realization though intellectually I knew it would have happened sooner or later.

Our meal was delightful and, as we were finishing our deserts, Jim said that he had an announcement. He moved his chair out and went to one knee as he pulled a box from his pants pocket. “Elaine, it’s been long enough. Marry me. I love you. Let’s make it official.”

She grabbed him and kissed him, saying, “Yes, yes. I’ll have my very own ghost.”

They grinned at each other. We all clapped for them. I paid the bill with a nice tip. We left but Elaine and Jim rode with me while Melissa and Paul rode with Karen. They sat in the back seat and held each other as I made the short trip to the apartment. We went inside for coffee and a little talk.

As we all settled in, Karen asked, “Okay, guys. When is the date?”

Jim looked toward Elaine. She blushed and said, “Soon. I don’t have family except for my mother and she won’t care when or where. She’ll come. We’ll marry at the Baptist church where we’ve been going since I came here and met Jim. I like it and like the people. Besides, my matron of honor lives here. Karen, keep your Saturdays open for next month.”

Jim grinned. “Brad, you’ll be with her. You two were the most encouraging to us of anyone. You even delayed moving your funds to create opportunities for us to be together.” Karen blushed. “Yes, we could tell that you were giving us every chance to become more involved with each other.”

Elaine said, “Isn’t it nice to know that it worked?”

Melissa said, “They seem to attract people into being couples. It is even happening in the Sunday school class we teach with them.”

Karen blushed. “Brad is so good that I think all girls would like to have their version.” Now, I blushed. Everyone laughed and we continued to enjoy our evening finally parting late so Elaine and Jim could go to work and we could go to our classes.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.