Learning Assistance - Cover

Learning Assistance

Copyright© 2016 by radio_guy

Chapter 15

Melissa and Paul came in to help cook supper. Karen said, “Melissa, Paul, we want to talk to you about some of the things we’re thinking about doing with the money.”

While the four of us cooked and then ate, we talked.

Karen said, “One thing we have thought about doing is buying a house or a duplex. We would like you to join us rent free. Buying in doesn’t make much sense for you financially. We’ve talked and know that you will be moving out of town, if not the state, when you graduate. I will have another year and Brad is thinking about an MBA.”

Melissa said, “We could pay what we’re paying.”

Karen responded, “We know that but you could put that money away for your own place. We figure when you graduate, Suzie-Q might want to get out of the dorms depending upon what she and Larry wind up doing. We really want you to stay close in something resembling our current partnership as long as it makes sense.”

Paul said, “We would have to think about it but should be able to work something out before our current lease is up.”

Melissa said, “What else are you two thinking about doing?”

“We’re going to get a car. Brad’s isn’t getting any newer. Neither of us will work this summer and we have had it suggested that we take a serious vacation. Brad has traveled a little bit but I’ve never traveled in my life. I would like us to take my parents on a vacation or a cruise. They don’t have money and helping me last year was a stretch. This year, I picked up an additional scholarship and living as a couple has been cheaper.”

I added, “And a lot more fun!”

Melissa giggled. “I bet the dorms are quieter now, too.”

Karen grinned. “Seriously, we do want us to stay together under some situation after the lease is up. However, I don’t know if the dorms are any quieter.” We all smiled. Karen continued, “Think about it and let’s work something out.”

We began house hunting along with other things. Even with only cell phones, we still received a few calls each week. Everyone wanted to help us spend our money in some way while siphoning off a bit for themselves. We declined those opportunities. Pastor Jim had found a place for our donation that would truly help people without demoralizing giving at church.

Our week passed quietly with a call from Jim and Elaine that we took. They wanted to meet to go over ideas and we would meet for dinner Thursday. We did and enjoyed our time. They seemed to be enjoying their collaboration. We put off a decision for another week. Elaine looked at Karen and said, “Are you delaying to give us time together?”

Karen grinned. “Of course. Do you mind?”

Elaine smiled back. “No. It has been good and we have enjoyed our time working together.”

I said, “As long as there has been some funny business, that’s good.”

Jim smiled slowly. “Most of our last meetings have been for us. There really isn’t much more we can offer you.”

I responded. “We have figured that but wanted to be encouragers.”

We talked a bit more and went on our separate ways. I noticed that Jim was holding Elaine’s hand as they walked to his car.

We would leave for the weekend Friday afternoon as was now our practice. We were going to my parents’ home and Karen’s parents would be there, too. Suzie-Q was riding with us.

We pulled in Friday late afternoon and saw Karen’s folks’ car and Larry’s car. We went inside to a joyful welcome. Suzie-Q hugged and kissed Larry first. We finally sat down to talk a little before eating. Before picking up my sister, Karen and I had decided to tell our parents the complete story. Her parents knew it but we had never shared it with mine.

We gave my parents the full story and introduced Rudolph to them.

Supper was ready. Dad prayed and then we ate. The questions didn’t stop. It took a while but everyone was now satisfied with their knowledge. My dad said, “That explains a lot of things.”

My mom said, “I think it makes everything even more romantic. Rudolph seems to be nice and you two seem to be more in tune with each other every time we see you.”

Karen smiled at her. “We have two good examples of married life. Mostly, Brad and I talk. That’s what we’ve always done and it works for us.”

My mom grinned. “That’s what you call it!”

Karen blushed but didn’t respond.

The evening passed enjoyably and, after loving, we slept in each other’s arms. In the morning, we started coffee after an enjoyable shower. We sat at the kitchen table holding hands waiting for the coffee to finish dripping. After the pot filled, I stood and poured a cup for Karen and another for me. I carried them to the table and we sipped them. Larry and Suzie-Q came in arm in arm. They fixed their cups and joined us at the table. They were smiling.

Larry said, “Suzie-Q has an announcement.”

Suzie-Q blushed. “Larry could wait no longer.” She let her left hand show the engagement ring on her finger. “We will marry in June. We’ve known we would and it’s official now.”

Karen and I joined in saying, “Congratulations!” Karen and my sister hugged while Larry and I shook hands. We swapped and Suzie-Q hugged me and kissed me.

I swapped with him to get my spouse back. I was holding her. She faced Suzie-Q and Larry and said, “We’re taking a vacation cruise this summer. You could go with us for your honeymoon and share a room.” My wife had an impish smile.

Suzie-Q had a horrified look. “No! We want a quiet place away from people.”

Larry said, “While we appreciate the offer, I don’t think my brother in-law and his wife should be with us on our honeymoon.” He grinned. “Unlike you two, we can’t get together very often and never very privately. That would be tortuous. We don’t want even well-meaning chaperons.”

We chuckled. Even Suzie-Q did when she quit blushing.

My mother and Missus Mason came in a little later. Suzie-Q showed off her ring. My mother was happy. She grinned. “Now we can talk about grandchildren.”

Karen’s mother nodded. She said, “Karen hasn’t done much in that regard yet though.”

Karen blushed. “We’ve been practicing.” Everyone chuckled.

“I really want to finish my degree before having children. That’s an important milestone for me. After that, we can quit practicing and really work at it. I’m sure Rudolph will be relieved to know there will be Gillis’s in the future.”

My mom said, “I will be relieved.” Everyone laughed.

Later, we cornered Karen’s parents. I said, “We have talked about it. Karen and I want to take the two of you with us on a vacation this summer.”

Karen said, “Mom, Dad, we want two weeks of your time. We will all need passports. We really want to do this with you.”

Her father said, “Helen and I will talk about it but we do enjoy spending time with you two.”

“Great,” I said. “That gives us plenty of time for all of us get passports.”

Her mother said, “Where are we going?”

Karen smiled. “It will be a surprise. It’s some place that I’ve heard you say you wanted to go.”

The school year continued. We became more comfortable with each other if that’s possible. Melissa and Paul have agreed to share a house with us until they graduate. We planned a two week cruise for Karen’s parents and us for the third week in June. It would be a long anniversary celebration for both them and us.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.