Learning Assistance - Cover

Learning Assistance

Copyright© 2016 by radio_guy

Chapter 3

On the Friday before classes would start, we cleaned out our cabin and went to the apartment joining Melissa and Charlie. The four of us went to church Sunday and enjoyed our time with one slight exception.

As we were leaving, Pastor Jim stopped us for an extra moment. He said, “Karen, Brad, I want to ask you to consider something special.” We nodded cautiously. “I need a teaching couple for our junior high school class. They are interesting young people and need to build confidence in a proper way. I think you two can do that and hope you will agree to teach.”

Karen looked at him with a surprised look on her face. “Pastor Jim, I am surprised. I’m a fairly new Christian and very newly married.”

“You’re a very smart lady and a very pretty one, too. Those teenage girls need someone to look up to and you make a great example. Brad is a great guy and will give the guys someone to emulate.”

I thought that the examples might be reversed. Also, Karen’s looks will draw those younger teen boys like flies to honey. I said, “Pastor Jim, we will talk about it and pray about it together. May we call you later in the week with an answer?”

He grinned at us. “Sure. At least you didn’t dismiss my request out of hand. I appreciate that. I think the two of you will do very well.”

We met Melissa and Paul at my car still in shock. Paul said, “What’s up? Did Pastor Jim tell you that your marriage isn’t valid?”

I responded. “No. He asked us to teach the junior high class.”

Melissa exclaimed, “Wow! That would shock me, too.”

Karen said, “We were We still are. We will talk and pray about it. However, his reasoning is persuasive.” We got in the car and I drove us to the apartment. We went inside and changed clothes before preparing lunch. In our bedroom, Karen said, “We really do need to talk about this Brad. Do you think we can do it?”

I smiled. “I don’t think the question is ‘can’ but is ‘should.’ Let’s talk about it some and pray. I am inclined to say ‘yes’ but it’s not one of those things that has a simple or quick answer.”

At lunch with Melissa and Paul, we added it to our prayer list and talked about it with them. Paul said, “One thing I can think of is that Pastor Jim understands early teenagers. Having Karen as a teacher will draw them like flies. Brad will appeal to the girls, too. You will be the middle school buzz quickly. Many will come to look at you.” He smiled at us. “The funny thing that they will find is that they will come back for your hearts. Both of you care about people and that’s important. Karen, the girls will find Brad dreamy and you will be asked how to attract a guy like him. There will be a few crushes on the part of guys and girls. Be prepared.”

Karen said, “Do you think Pastor Jim was thinking about that?”

Melissa grinned. “Pastor Jim is a smart man. He probably was but was also thinking about the Christian walk you two display. I also think that he knows you are great students of the Bible though he may not know you study the Bible together. Both of you are mature as Christians beyond your ages. I look to you two for advice. Paul does, too. He just doesn’t like to admit it.” Paul grinned ruefully.

Then, he grinned more widely. “Besides middle school guys and girls need targets for their hormones. It will be working evangelism.”

We prayed separately and together. Tuesday, I called Pastor Jim on my speaker with Karen beside me. “Pastor Jim. This is Brad with Karen. We’re calling to say that we will take the class. We are concerned about what we will teach.”

He said, “There is a book series of lessons available for early teens. You could also use one of the adult series or just teach from the Bible.”

Karen went pale. “I-I don’t think I could do that.”

“Karen, it might be more of a challenge than you are prepared to take yet. However, there will come a day when you will do that. I would like to announce it in early church, have you in the class for the Sunday school hour, and then announce it again in the later service.”

I said, “Okay. Should we come to the early service, too.”

Pastor Jim sounded a little surprised. “I would be thrilled for you to do that but it’s not necessary.”

I looked at Karen, who nodded, and said, “We’ll be there and will prepare a short devotional for this Sunday at the class. Will that be good?”

“Karen, Brad, that will be very good. I look forward to seeing you then. You know I will pray over you in both services.”

Karen said, “Yes, Sir. We’ve noticed you do that for all incoming teachers. We’ll be there. We can use the prayer. Bye.” I thumbed the off button. “Lover, I hope we’re doing the right thing.”

“We are, Love. We’ve both prayed about it and have peace about this.”

Sunday arrived without further fanfare or excitement. We told Melissa and Paul that we were leaving to go to early service as well as late this Sunday. They stayed in bed until we left.

We pulled up in the parking lot and I gave Karen a hand out of my car. She was wearing her gray skirt and blue blouse this morning and looked enchanting and sexy. There weren’t many people at the church yet but we did make an entrance.

Pastor Jim introduced us and had us come up front. He put his hands on our shoulders. He said, “Karen and Brad will be teaching our middle school Sunday school class. I am thankful that they have agreed after praying over the issue. I think they will do a great job and be an example to our younger teens.” He then prayed for us and our new project.

We returned to our seats. I noticed that there were four who were about the right age sitting in the sanctuary. After the service, we went to our new classroom with our Bibles and Brad’s devotion in hand.

Inside we found the four already seated. To me, it looked like two pairs of brothers and sisters though the girls sat together as did the guys. A few minutes later, three more guys and two more girls entered and sat down. Their eyes were wide.

I looked around. “Is anyone else usually here?” Everyone looked around and then shook their heads. “Let’s get started.” I prayed a quick simple prayer to bless our time together.

I looked at Karen and she said, “We are Brad and Karen Gillis. We were married last June at this church in a double wedding.” I could see a couple of heads nod at that. Karen continued, “Marrying Brad was one of the best days of my life.” I grinned nodding. “Brad has prepared a short devotion but we will answer questions if you have any.”

One of the guys smirked. He looked at Karen but said, “What’s it like to be married to the hottest fox in the state?”

I grinned. “Karen is a beautiful woman. I’m proud to be in her life and prouder to be her husband. However, it was her heart that captured me and her kindness that holds me. Yes, she is great looking but looks can only go so far. Then, brains and heart take over. Karen is on the Dean’s list and people like her who haven’t ever seen her. If you think about it for a while, you will find that allure is more about the mind than the body.” I grinned bigger. “Though the body doesn’t hurt.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.