Legacy of a Legend - Cover

Legacy of a Legend

Copyright© 2016 by StarFleet Carl

Chapter 44

Fan Fiction Story: Chapter 44 - Follow Martina Grize', the Dragonborn, from her entry into the realm of Skyrim, as she discovers her destiny, and eventually ... well, you'll see. I classify this as fan fiction of the Bethesda game, The Elder Scrolls V, Skyrim. There is explicit sex, but not of the stroke story variety. Disclaimer - I don't own TESV, I just play there. So the land is theirs, the choices made are mine. Note: The rape code was added due to what had happened in the past, and is discussed but not shown.

Caution: This Fan Fiction Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Fa/ft   Consensual   Rape   Romantic   Lesbian   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Fan Fiction   High Fantasy   War   Paranormal   Vampires   Were animal   Zombies   Incest   Mother   Daughter   Group Sex   Orgy   Masturbation   Sex Toys   Nudism   Politics   Royalty   Violence  

I wondered how much of what Motierre wanted was due to manipulation that he had no clue about from a Daedric Prince, and how much of it was just politics in Tamriel as usual. At the same time, this was also why I had joined the Dark Brotherhood, to give myself a legitimate cover to take out Titus Mede. This would serve me well. But just to make certain I heard right, I asked, “You want us to kill ... the Emperor? Of Tamriel?”

“That is correct. What I ask is no small thing, of course. But you represent the Dark Brotherhood. This is what you do, no? You must understand, so much has led to this day. So much planning and maneuvering. Now, it’s as if the very stars have finally aligned. But I digress. Here, take these. They need to be delivered to your, um ... superior. Rexus, the items!”

I knew that it wasn’t the alignment of stars that had caused this, but the game for control of Tamriel and perhaps of all Nirn. While I stood there, the guard walked forward, giving me a sealed letter and a strange amulet. Motierre spoke. “The items Rexus is giving you will explain everything that needs done. The amulet is quite valuable. You can use it to pay for any and all expenses.”

“So, why do this?”

“The Dark Brotherhood has assassinated an Emperor before. In doing so, there were opportunities created that would not have existed otherwise. This is the same. As for you, your Brotherhood has been on hard times lately, no? This will give you fame and fear that you haven’t had in centuries.”

I nodded silently, took the note and the amulet, then quietly left. I decided that since I was here, I would see if there was another Word Wall for certain in this Nordic tomb. There was, and other than a few hours of time and some lost arrows, it was fairly easy to acquire. I headed back out, got on my horse, and rode south.

At the Luxury Suite, I saw Farquar outside on patrol. He recognized me as I rode closer. Before he could speak, I held up my hand. “Hello, my name is Listener. I have heard of your bathing pools and fine food, and I would like to partake if I may.”

He looked puzzled for a moment, then understanding crossed his face. “Oh, of course. Let me go inside and talk to the woman who runs this place. If you wish to tie your horse up here, I can make sure it’s taken care of, if you end up staying here.”

I’m not exactly sure what he told them, but after a few minutes Leah came out and greeted me as a stranger, just a customer come calling, and bade me enter. The Suite seemed emptier inside than usual, quiet, almost empty, which I realized it was, without my five companions in it.

Leah said, “So, ma’am, it’s my understanding from talking to our fine guard that you are seeking a room for the evening, usage of our cleansing pools, and some food.”

“Yes, that’s correct. I have a few things to trade and sell as well, if you’re interested.”

“Of course. Let me show you to your room for the evening, and we can take care of your needs otherwise.”

With that she led me up the stairs, to my own bedroom. We walked by several of the residents, who simply looked up to watch our passage, then went back to what they were doing. “I hope this will be good enough for you this evening, ma’am.”

I dropped my backpack on the floor. “Yes, it’s fine.” I looked around. The entire second floor and the third floor sleeping chambers were suspiciously empty. I sat down on the edge of the bed. I pointed next to me as I said in a quiet voice, “Sit.”

Leah didn’t hesitate, she moved and sat close to me on the bed. She started to speak, but stopped when I shook my head. I continued in a very low voice. “I appreciate what you’ve done for me this evening. In the future, I may stop by just as anonymously as I am now. I simply don’t know. There’s going to be a lot of upheaval in Skyrim over the next several weeks. I’ll need everyone to be on guard for the sign. And trust me, you’ll know it when it happens.”

“Can you give me a hint?” she whispered back.

“Without saying names, you remember who my grandfather was?” She nodded. “The person currently filling his job position is going to meet the same fate. And it will almost certainly be by my bloody hand.” She gasped, for she recognized who used the bloody hand as their symbol.

“On an unrelated note, I also met my mother recently. Of course, you know her current job as well. Let’s say that a lot of ... people ... in equivalent jobs as hers are interested in what’s going on right now. So it’s going to be interesting, to say the least.”

Thinking carefully about what she was saying, Leah said, “Well, ma’am ... we here at the Luxury Suite will be glad to provide whatever comfort and assistance we can. We’re here to help ... you.” She gave a slight nod of her head that she understood why I was being circumspect in my speech. “Now, how about we get you cleaned up for dinner, and fix you a meal fit for a King?” Under her breath, she said, “Or our Queen.”

Discussions around the table that evening were quite general. The weather, how the winter crops were doing, trading ... nothing specific. I knew that the Nine, or at least some faction of them, were trying to guide our fates with an invisible hand. I couldn’t make it easy for them, though. After dinner I bathed, then slept alone in my bed.

The next morning I left for Sanctuary. It was an easy trip, which was nice. I found Astrid at her map table. “You’re back. Good. So, did you meet this Motierre? What did he want?”

“Apparently the Night Mother has a job for us that will return the Dark Brotherhood to glory. Motierre wants us to kill ... the Emperor.”

“You’re joking.” I handed her the letter and amulet.

“What’s this?” She read the letter. “By Sithis, you’re not joking. To kill the Emperor of Tamriel ... the Dark Brotherhood hasn’t done such a thing since the assassination of Pelagius. As a matter of fact, no one has dared assassinate an Emperor of Tamriel since the murder of Uriel Septim, and that was two hundred years ago...”

“I’m certain the Night Mother wouldn’t misdirect us.”

“No, she certainly wouldn’t. And for whatever reason, she chose to relay Motierre’s information to you. I don’t know exactly what’s going on here, if you’re the Listener or if this is some fluke, or what. But what we now have before us...”

“So we’ll accept the contract?”

She laughed. “You’re damned right we’ll accept it. If we pull this off, the Dark Brotherhood will know a fear and respect we haven’t seen in centuries. You think I’d abandon an opportunity to lead my Family to glory? But this is all so much to take in. I need time to read the letter, and figure out where we go from here. And this amulet.”

“What are you thinking?”

“I’m thinking we need that amulet appraised. I want to know where it came from, how much it’s worth, and if we can actually get away with selling it. And there’s only one man who can give us what we need. Delvin Mallory. He’s a fence, a private operator. Works out of the Ratway, in Riften. Give me the letter. Bring Mallory the amulet. Find out everything you can, and sell it if he’s willing. He’ll offer a letter of credit, that’s fine. Delvin Mallory and the Dark Brotherhood have ... history. He can be trusted.”

“Hey, are you okay?”

“Yes. I ... I think so. Let’s ... Let’s keep our professional life separate from our personal for a bit, okay? I have things to work out.”

“I understand. Well, off to Riften, then. Good luck here with the mundane killings.”

She smiled at that. “Yes, we have quite a number of those to do. Be safe, my ... sister.”

I left the Sanctuary. Other than the time spent to cross most of Skyrim, there was nothing vaguely memorable about the trip. It felt like the war between the Imperials and Stormcloaks had decided to simply take a break because it was the depths of winter. I hoped to have everything resolved before campaign season started again, but I wasn’t that hopeful.

I rode through the night, arriving at Riften early the next morning. I found a secluded corner to rest a few hours, slipping into the Ratway that evening. I entered the Ragged Flagon, remembering seeing the regulars from when I’d rescued Esbern, and headed for the table with Delvin Mallory.

He spoke with an interesting accent, sounding more like a Dark Elf than a Breton. He didn’t recognize me from when I’d been through before. “Ah, now, you must be lost. Best you scurry off while you’re able. The Ratway, well, it has a habit of swallowing up the uninvited.”

“My invitation comes from the Dark Brotherhood, though.”

“Oh. Oh, I see. Well, now, how is Astrid doing these days, eh? Tell her to stop by some time. We can have a drink. Catch up. Ah, but we can discuss that later, right? What does the Brotherhood need?”

“What can you tell me about this?” I asked, as I handed him the amulet.

“Let’s see ... Where, oh, where did you get this? No, don’t answer! I don’t want to know. This is an amulet of the Emperor’s Elder Council. Specifically crafted for each member. Worth a small fortune. Ain’t something you’d give up lightly. Look, it ain’t my business to tell the Dark Brotherhood it’s business, but if you killed a member of the Elder Council, you’d better...”

“It doesn’t matter how we acquired it. The question is, will you buy it?”

“Buy it? This? An Elder Council amulet? Oh, yes. Oh, yes indeed. Uh, wait ... just one moment.” He got out some paper, quill, and ink, and hurriedly scrawled something. “Here. It’s a letter of credit. Usable by Astrid only, for any service or item I can provide as per our usual agreement. You bring that back to your lovely mistress. With my regards, of course.”

I glanced at the paper. The amulet truly was worth a small fortune to someone without my means. Delvin was offering Astrid fifteen thousand gold for it. That meant it was worth at least ten times that.

“This should be acceptable. I’ll be in touch.”

I left the Ratway the way I’d come in. It was later in the evening, and two ladies of the evening were waiting by the entrance. “Care to buy a flower, or perhaps pluck one?”

“I don’t seem to have a cure disease potion handy, so I’ll pass.”

“Are you saying we’ve diseases?”

“Seems to be self evident to me. But I’ve been wrong before. It was almost two years ago, though. So ply your wares elsewhere, wench.”

Her hand went to her belt, where a dagger waited. “I ought to ask you to apologize.”

“You wouldn’t survive if you did. Find an Argonian who’s in his cups. He won’t care what he sticks it in.”

Her friend pulled her back, realizing that this wasn’t a fight they wanted to get into. “Smart girl. Here’s a coin for your retirement fund.” I flipped her a gold piece and left them standing in the shadows.

I again rode through the night to get back to the Sanctuary. The land was different without the vampire menace, almost peaceful. I could see different fires up on the hills from hunters, soldiers, and homes and hearths. I may not be from this land originally, but I could feel the draw of it, could understand why they loved it so ... why I loved it.

I stopped in Falkreath for a quick bite of breakfast before returning to the Sanctuary, to see if there were any rumors. Nothing substantial, so I headed in. Astrid was waiting.

“Good, you’re back. Well, what did Mallory have to say? Is the amulet authentic?”

“Yes. Specifically made for members of the Elder Council.”

“The Elder Council...” Astrid had shock in her voice at that. Then I could almost hear the planning as she continued. “Oh, now that explains quite a bit. Motierre, you naughty, naughty boy. Hiring the Dark Brotherhood to help you rise beyond your station. Delicious. Was Mallory willing to buy the amulet?”

“Yes. Here’s the letter of credit.”

“Splendid. Then we’re ready to begin. Or more specifically, you’re ready to begin. After all, you’re the one the Night Mother spoke to. But by Sithis, I hope I’m making the right choice here. You may be an effective killer, but your command of guile leaves much to be desired. The sealed letter you delivered to me was mysteriously unsealed upon its arrival. I can only assume you’ve read its contents. Sloppy...”

“Necessary. You and I both know I have a history with the Brotherhood. Letters with instructions have been changed in the past, leading to the eradication of the Black Hand. In good conscience, I couldn’t let that happen again ... if that’s what this was.”

Astrid looked at me for a moment. “That makes sense. And only a true member of the Brotherhood would know of that history. That makes me doubly glad I welcomed you to our Family ... and my bed.” She smiled in remembrance. “Maybe soon, again. But first, I hope you have appropriate clothing, since you’ll be attending a wedding.”

“Oh, good, I like weddings.” I smiled, thinking back to my own.

““Well, more like the public reception. It should be a lovely affair. You’ll mingle with the guests, eat some cake ... stab the bride. Oh, yes, you get to kill the bride. At her wedding. And they say romance is dead.”

“So who’s the ... lucky lady?”

“Her name is Vittoria Vici. She oversees the East Empire Company’s business holdings in Solitude. The wedding is being held in that city, at the Temple of the Divines. Her death will cause an uproar, which is exactly what we want. Vici is likely to address her guests frequently, as is the wedding custom. Kill her when she does that, and I promise you a significant bonus. Now go, and give my best to the bride.”

“That’s ... an interesting target. She’s the cousin of Titus Mede. If she’s killed, it’ll send uproars through all of Cyrodiil.”

“Exactly. Both beautiful and smart, I like that in my killers. Her new husband has ties to the Stormcloaks as well. This union is a step towards reconciliation, without actually resolving anything. So if there’s a killing at the wedding, it’ll cause complete pandemonium, send shock waves through the Empire, and stall whatever peace they’d hope to accomplish. The Emperor’s hand will be forced. He’ll have to travel to Skyrim to deal with the aftermath ... and he’ll find the Dark Brotherhood waiting.”

“I can see that. I would have just expected him to come here for the wedding in the first place. That doesn’t make a lot of sense, given the political importance.”

“Apparently he was supposed to come, but canceled at the last minute. Reportedly the bride was very upset at this, and complained to her friends in the Thalmor Embassy. In any event, this is the start of us returning to greatness. Good luck.”

I went on in to grab a quick nap before heading to Solitude. Babette sought me out. “Astrid has me visiting cities to assess security. I’m leaving now for Riften, or I’d join you in that bed right now. I like your taste, it’s ... different. Ah, well. Be careful, it’d be a shame if you got killed without answering my questions.”

“Yeah, thanks, Babette. I think I’d be upset, too.”

She giggled. “Well, sure. Take care, Listener.” She pulled me down to give me a kiss, then left the Sanctuary. I snuggled under the furs to get my rest. A few hours later, I headed for Solitude.

I ran into a dragon just outside of town. It managed to kill one of the guards before we brought it down. One thing I had learned was that I didn’t have to remain close to the body to claim its soul. So while the remaining guards were standing around looking at the dead dragon, I ran for cover in one of the towers, so they didn’t see me absorb its soul. I used the lower entrance to town to go in after that and went into Proudspire Manor to ready myself for what would come that evening.

I wore a hood and a regal looking cloak, to help hide my face. I was concerned that some people might recognize me otherwise. The guard at the entry to the chapel courtyard saw my cloak and said, “Go on in. I’m just here to help provide security from thieves.” Inside, an argument between the families piqued my curiosity. I walked over with a drink in my hand to listen in. Apparently there was no love lost, because they were arguing about the Dominion and invaders, about preserving their way of life. I couldn’t agree more.

An old woman came up to me, obviously a little inebriated. “This better work out. I just hope Vittoria has the hips for it. I want grandchildren.” She moved to a seat. “My nephew, the Emperor, too busy to attend his own cousin’s wedding. We won’t forget this slight.”

From another bench, I heard the father of the groom say, “I still think they should have had a traditional Nord wedding, out in the cold.” I couldn’t help myself, I had to know, so I asked him, “So, are you having a good time?”

“By the gods, no. Plenty of eager young Nord women available to share his bed, and my boy has to go and marry the enemy. Damned Imperial bastards.”

Perfect. I spent some time watching the pattern. The couple would walk up some stairs to a balcony overlooking the reception, to talk to the crowd. I decided that up close and personal was the way to go. Plus, I wanted her outfit, it was gorgeous. I slipped by a guard, and took up station in the corner of the balcony overlook.

The couple soon joined me. They only had eyes for each other. Vittoria turned to speak to the crowd. I rose behind her with my dagger in hand, cutting her throat. Her groom had been waving to the crowd and didn’t see me in action. He heard something, though, and started to turn. It was too late for him as well, I slid the dagger between his ribs. The crowd didn’t know what was going on. I moved his body over to block the door from opening, then quickly stripped her corpse of her clothes and rings. I took a potion from my pouch, drank it, and vanished from sight. That allowed me to jump down in a corner and make my escape.

One of the things I’d taken from her corpse was the key to her house. I went there and settled down to wait for things to die down outside. Several hours later I used the cover of the night to get out of town unseen. I was able to get to my horse and ride back to the Sanctuary.

Astrid was jubilant when she saw me enter. Laughing, she said, “The news is everywhere! Vittoria Vici, the Emperor’s cousin, butchered at her own wedding! Well done! Let’s see his Eminence ignore this.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.