Legacy of a Legend
Chapter 42

Copyright© 2016 by StarFleet Carl

Fan Fiction Story: Chapter 42 - Follow Martina Grize', the Dragonborn, from her entry into the realm of Skyrim, as she discovers her destiny, and eventually ... well, you'll see. I classify this as fan fiction of the Bethesda game, The Elder Scrolls V, Skyrim. There is explicit sex, but not of the stroke story variety. Disclaimer - I don't own TESV, I just play there. So the land is theirs, the choices made are mine. Note: The rape code was added due to what had happened in the past, and is discussed but not shown.

Caution: This Fan Fiction Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Fa/ft   Consensual   Rape   Romantic   Lesbian   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Fan Fiction   High Fantasy   War   Paranormal   Vampires   Were animal   Zombies   Incest   Mother   Daughter   Group Sex   Orgy   Masturbation   Sex Toys   Nudism   Politics   Royalty   Violence  

It was a week later that I left High Reach, alone.

Lydia protested the most, as I expected. More so when she realized I was leaving my dragon scale armor behind. I finally had to put my royal foot down. “How many people in Skyrim wear armor like that?”

“That’s the only set that we know of.”

“Exactly. So people assume that the Dragonborn wears ONLY that armor. Now, how many people know the Dragonborn is also the High Queen of Skyrim?”

“Everyone here, of course. The guards and probably most of the people of Whiterun. Urag and some of the College mages. I know you’ve told Elisif, Sybille, and Falk, which means that Bolgeir and Bryling know. Some of the Dawnguard, too.”

“Which means that Ulfric, both armies, and the Thalmor have, if nothing else, heard rumors. Since for now my pathway has to be alone, I can’t go out and about in that armor. Do you trust me as an armorer?”

“Of course, my Queen. You’re the best armorer in all of Skyrim.”

“Then don’t you think that this armor I will be wearing won’t be equally as good?”

“I ... dammit, Martina. I love you. I just ... I don’t know what I’ll do if something happens to you and I’m not there to help. I’m worried about you.”

“I know you are, my sweet one. All of you are, just you’re the senior, so it was up to you to voice the concerns you all feel. I’m not going to say that the journey I have to go on now isn’t dangerous. It is. But just like when I rode off on Odahviing, I must now go alone. You’ll understand why when it’s all said and done.”

She looked at Surgus. “You! Surely as her advisor from the Psijic Order, you’ll stay with her.”

“I understand your concern, little one. This was the least likely thread for her to follow, and it has many different possible outcomes. But in all of the threads, in all the possible futures, the only ones that show her success, all have one thing in common. If she must go about this quest, for however long it takes, she must face her dangers alone.”

The farewell dinner that evening was not the most cheerful event I’ve ever attended, with a lot of introspection by my housecarls, lovers, and friends. Early the next morning I put on my new armor, grabbed my gear, and left.

I walked to the Solitude stables and purchased a new horse, just in case someone knew my dappled roan. Obviously I could still summon Arvak in time of need, but that would sort of be a give away. It took me most of the day to reach my destination. The guards at the entrance to the city just told me to be on my best behavior since I was an Imperial. They didn’t recognize me, even though I recognized them both from my previous trips to Windhelm.

It was getting dark as I neared my destination in the city. I unlocked the door to the house, quietly climbing the steps. From above, I could hear the young voice, tired from the countless repetitions, of saying the same thing over and over again. “Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear.”

He was concentrating so much he didn’t hear me walk up behind him. A circle of candles surrounded a skeleton. Human flesh and a heart, partially covered in maggots, lay in the midst of the skeleton. Nightshade petals were scattered about. The floor around and under the skeleton was covered with stab marks, where the boy continued to raise his arm and stab the representation of his victim. I simply stood behind him for a moment, thinking that he’d performed the Black Sacrament exactly right, so there must be some other reason why I was here now, and not ... someone else. Under my breath, I whispered to myself, “Mother, I hope you taught me properly.”

Aloud, I said, “Aventus Arentino, you have performed the Black Sacrament.”

In joy, he jumped to his feet and said, “It worked! I knew you’d come. I just knew it! I did the Black Sacrament over and over. With the body and the ... the things. And now you’ve come! An assassin from the Dark Brotherhood.”

I stood mute before him. “You don’t have to say anything,” he said. “There’s no need. You’re here, so I know you’ll accept my contract.”

“Contract?”

“My mother, she ... she died. I ... I’m all alone now. So they sent me to that terrible orphanage in Riften. Honorhall. The headmistress is an evil, cruel woman. They call her Grelod the Kind. But she’s not kind. She’s terrible. To all of us. So I ran away, and came home. And performed the Black Sacrament. Now you’re here! And you can kill Grelod the Kind!”

I closed my eyes for a moment, thinking how wonderful a place Ulfric had made here where children wanted, needed, to kill people or have them killed. In the silence, Aventus said, “To be honest, I’m sort of lonely here. I’d like to go back to the orphanage with my friends, but not until Grelod is dead. She mistreats us all, beating us, making us work for her like slaves, doing things for some bird lady.”

“Bird lady?”

“Raven Blackberry or something like that. Grelod made us work all day in a building that Raven owned, helping make mead. One time I saw Anna fall in a vat and they nearly let her drown before pulling her out, then beat her for ruining the batch. After the next day, we never saw her again. Runa said that Raven Blackberry’s daughter used her to test a potion she’d made is why we never saw her again. That’s why I ran away, because of the locket.”

“Locket?”

“Anna kept a locket hidden in a spot on her bed. We all knew where we each kept our secret things. Anna wouldn’t have left her locket there if she’d still been alive.”

“So you think that with Grelod dead, things at the orphanage will get better?”

“Constance Michel will take care of us then. She’s nice. Please don’t hurt her.”

“Very well, boy. Goodbye for now.”

I left his house. “Damn, I wish there was an easier way to do this. But ... well, time to head for Riften.” Simply stopping at the Braidwood Inn in Kynesgrove for the night and talking with Iddra showed I had been right to change my gear. People remembered the armor, not the woman inside. I think the minor detail that I typically wore my helmet unless I was getting ready for sleep may have helped in that respect. The next morning I left, with the roads I needed to take very familiar. It was mid-afternoon when I reached Riften.

I wandered the town a bit. No one recognized me in leather and glass armor. The biggest test was Balimund, the smith at the Scorched Hammer. I’d had dealings with him before, yet he failed to realize who I was. Rather than do things in broad daylight, since I was going to assassinate someone, I wandered down to the Ratway, found an undisturbed corner and took a nap.

It was well after dark when I crept up the stairs from the canal and slipped inside Honorhall Orphanage. I could hear a gravely voiced woman talking. She had a cruel tone in her voice. “Those who shirk their duties will get an extra beating. Do I make myself clear?” Several young voices replied, “Yes, Grelod.”

“And one more thing! I will hear no more talk of adoptions! None of you riff-raff is getting adopted. Ever! Nobody needs you, nobody wants you. That, my darlings, is why you’re here. Why you will always be here, until the day you come of age and get thrown into that wide, horrible world. Now, what do you all say?”

The children fearfully said, almost together, “We love you, Grelod. Thank you for your kindness.”

Grelod said, “That’s better. Now scurry off, my little guttersnipes.”

Wow, what a bitch. I had actually been a bit concerned about doing this before. Now, not in the least. The children went to their beds. Grelod went over to complain to Constance about one of the children crying in his sleep, giving her one chance to talk the tears out of him or she’d use the belt on him. I carefully crept past everyone to check out the rooms in here. Opening one door I was shocked. There were shackles on the wall, and they’d obviously been well used.

Grelod walked by me into her room, and I wasted no time in slitting her throat, then moving back into a darker corner of the room. She gave out a cry as she died. The children all rose from their beds upon hearing it and came running in. Cheers from them along with comments that they were saved made me feel even better about killing the old woman. The armor that I had made, with a little enchanting help from Surgus, served me well, keeping me from view as I crept out of the orphanage.

Upon exiting the building, I simply headed back for the stable. It was the middle of the night as I made it outside. I grabbed my horse and headed out, a shadow in the darkness. With the vampire threat broken, it was actually sort of peaceful riding through the night and seeing the dawn while on the road. I again avoided Shor’s Stone, as much as I wanted to see how Sylgia was doing. I couldn’t leave a memorable trail, not while doing this.

I entered Windhelm and went immediately to the Arentino residence. I walked up the stairs, where Aventus waited. He heard me come in and met me at the top of the stairs. “Well, is she ... you know?”

“Grelod the Kind is now Grelod the Dead.”

“Aha! I knew you could do it! I just knew it! I knew the Dark Brotherhood would save me. Here, just like I promised, this heirloom should be quite valuable. I’ll go back to the orphanage after they’ve ... had a chance to clean up the mess. Thank you again.”

With that, I left him. I suspected it was only a matter of time now. I left Windhelm and headed for the stables. My horse was ready to go again. I headed west from the town along a river road that for some reason I hadn’t gone on before. It led up a hill, then crossed the river just below a waterfall with a stone bridge.

On the far side of the bridge, the road continued uphill, to a mill. Two men were working outside, chopping wood. In the distance, I heard the roar of a hunting dragon. I hoped not to run into one of those, that could prove ... interesting. I was wearing enough magical jewelry that improved my archery skills such that I wasn’t too concerned about fighting him, I simply didn’t want witnesses when I absorbed his soul.

I immediately dug my heels into the ribs of my horse, and we sped out of town, further up the hill. The rooftops to the mill were barely over the crest when the dragon landed in front of me. “I smell you, human, and will prove that my Thu’um, the Voice of Viinturuth, is the strongest.”

“Why should I fear a feeble Wyrm such as you, Shining Hammer of Rage, when I have vanquished both Alduin and Durnehviir?” I had my bow already drawn, an arrow ready.

“Wait! You are ... No, it can’t be!” He started to breathe fire towards me. Using my knees to guide my horse away from the flames, I fired an arrow into him.

“This is not possible!”, he roared.

“Return to the bones and ash you were, Wyrm.” I shot him a second time. That was more than enough to kill him. I hadn’t even had to drink a potion to improve my archery skills. Fortunately, there were no witnesses around to witness his death or my absorbing of his soul. The road led where I thought it would, and I soon found myself outside the Nightgate Inn. A sabre cat had thought to impede my progress just a bit earlier, and paid the price. I figured I’d use his meat to pay for my food and lodging.

“Come on in, stranger! I have warm food and a good fire.”

“I would partake of both, innkeeper.”

“Excellent. Name’s Hadring. I’ve worked here my whole life. Don’t think I’ve seen you here before. Don’t get many Imperials up this way.”

“First time through. Just seeking my fortune. Now, about that food, and the room?”

He quickly brought hot soup with beef, mead to drink, and showed me my room for the night. I still had to part with some coin, but Hadring was quite happy to get fresh sabre cat meat for his menu. After eating, I warmed myself by the fire a bit, then headed for bed.

The inn wasn’t where I woke up, though. I could hear the wind whistling through loose boards. I was in the middle of the floor of a room. I saw a chest in front of me, then noticed some candles on bookshelf, and the figure of someone lounging on top of the bookshelf. The mysterious figure was dressed in full leather armor, and as my eyes focused I realized it was a woman. She spoke through the mask that covered her lower face, leaving only her eyes visible. “Sleep well?”

“Very well, thank you. May I inquire as to where I am?”

“Does it matter? You’re warm, dry ... and still very much alive. That’s more than can be said for old Grelod, hmm?”

“One does what one must when one wishes to join the Dark Brotherhood.”

“Join the Dark Brotherhood? Interesting. Half of Skyrim knows what you did. Old hag gets butchered in her own orphanage? Word of things like that tend to get around. Oh, but don’t misunderstand, I’m not criticizing. It was a good kill. Old crone had it coming. And you saved a group of urchins to boot. But there is a slight ... problem.”

“A problem?”

“You’re not part of the Dark Brotherhood. You wish to join us, you say? Then since you took our contract, you must repay the kill.”

“Who do you wish me to murder?”

“You’re a calm one, aren’t you? Funny you should ask. If you turn around, you’ll notice my guests. I’ve ‘collected’ them from ... well, that’s not really important. The here and now. That’s what matters. You see, there’s a contract on one of them, and that person can’t leave this room alive. But ... which one? Go on, see if you can figure it out. Make your choice. Make your kill. I just want to observe ... and admire.”

I didn’t say anything to that. “Am I to take your silence as acceptance? Then you know where we stand. Make your kill, and we’re square. Repayment of your debt is but a discreet knife thrust away.”

I could tell by her posture that the woman from the Dark Brotherhood was in no hurry. She was lounging against the wall, as comfortable as she could be. I turned my back to her and looked around the room. A fire in the fireplace scattered light across the scene before me. Three figures, on their knees, wearing death masks, had their hands tied behind them and were lined up on the far side of the room.

One was a Khajit dressed in finery, one was a woman wearing regular clothes, and the closest to the fire was a man wearing some armor. I softly walked up and behind them. The Khajit said, “Ah, whoever this is, clearly we got off on the wrong foot. Ah, but no worries, this isn’t the first time I’ve been bagged and dragged. Let me go and we’ll talk about it.” The old woman screeched at me, “ Get these things off of me. Let me go! I haven’t done anything.” The soldier said, “Please, let me go. I’ve done nothing to you, I think.”

I knew there was only one way to handle this. So, let’s make this as elegant a solution as possible. I simply walked around the three of them for a bit, letting my hands reach out and touch each of them on the shoulder. The old woman screeched out, “Coward!” The soldier proved his battle courage by pissing himself. The Khajit simply said, “I’ve a reward for you if you let me go.” I could see the assassin watching me closely.

I walked to the far end of the room, so all three of them were lined up in a row. Magic would be the answer to this puzzle. I cast Ice Storm, which swept across the three of them, killing them all. I stood there for a moment, and then walked away.

“Well, well, aren’t we the overachiever? Three possibilities, three victims. Must have been one of them, right? So why take chances...”

“You told me to kill, and I killed.”

“Indeed. For you, my friend, understand what’s truly important. When I give an order to spill blood, you follow it. No questions. No remorse.”

“So ... I’m a member of the Dark Brotherhood now?”

“You’ve repaid your debt in full. Here’s the key to the shack. And you’re eager to take this to the next level, so I say let’s do it. I officially extend to you an invitation to join my family, the Dark Brotherhood. In the southwest reaches of Skyrim, in the Pine Forest, you’ll find the entrance to our Sanctuary. It’s just beneath the road, hidden from view. When questioned by the Black Door, answer with the correct passphrase, ‘Silence, my Brother’. Then you’re in, and your new life begins. I’ll see you at home.”

With that, she gestured for me to leave the building, so I did. It was dark, but clear, so I looked around to figure out where I was. To the northwest, I could see the lights from the back side of the Blue Palace. Neat trick, getting me halfway across the realm. But that also told me where I was. I headed south, towards Morthal.

It was a fairly easy trip through the swamp. I only had to kill one mud crab. I got into town, and hired the wagon to take me to Whiterun. The driver wanted to talk, but I didn’t answer his questions. Instead, I sat back and lightly napped most of the way. Once at Whiterun, I headed to the Luxury Suite. I had some things to drop off, to lighten my load.

I hated doing it this way, but I used the abilities given to me by the armor I had acquired in High Reach to sneak past my friends. Being invisible certainly helped, and all I had to do was be careful to not make excess noise so they didn’t hear me. It tore at me to watch them go about their lives and not be able to interact with them, but for now, that was for the best.

I got a surprise when I came back out. My horse had managed to find his way home. That would certainly make what was to come much easier. I gave him an apple as a reward, then climbed into his saddle heading out. It was still dark as I rode south, away from Whiterun. I didn’t expect to run into any trouble, at least nothing I couldn’t handle on my own.

Once again, my self confidence bit me on the ass.

I had passed the south watchtower a while back, following the roadway, when a bear came along, chasing a group of elk. The elk bounded away and the bear started attacking my horse, instead. I pulled my sword and quickly killed him, then dismounted to get his hide and claws. While I was on the ground, a group of bandits came up on the far side of my horse. “Here, now, dear, we’ll just relieve you of some coin and your horse, and you’ll still have your life,” their leader said.

“Oh, I think if you decide to leave, right now, I might consider letting the lot of you live.” I forgot I wasn’t in my dragon scale, so the arrow that one of them shot at me hurt like fire when it hit my arm. “Shit!”

I still had my sword, and started swinging, gutting one of them. Their archer got mad at that, and put an arrow into my left leg. This was not going well for me, as the other two were maneuvering to attack me from both sides. Since it was still dark, and I wasn’t planning on leaving any survivors, I decided enough was enough, and summoned Durnehviir.

“What? Where did that dragon come from? Quick, kill her before...” I’m not sure what else he planned to say as my sword tore his throat out.

From behind them, Durnehviir said, “I can feel my strength returning each time I am set free from that prison! Hear now the second word of Soul Tearing, ‘VAAZ’, meaning to tear your enemy’s soul from its living vessel.”

The remaining two bandits took one look and started running down the road. They found out that they couldn’t run as fast as Durnehviir could fly. I pulled the arrow out, then drank a potion of healing to fix what it would. After I finished cursing myself for my overconfidence, I finished what I’d been doing with the bear before mounting up to continue my trek.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.