4 - Clan Amir: The Day of Blood - Cover

4 - Clan Amir: The Day of Blood

Copyright 2007 by Ernest Bywater as Ernest Edwards

Chapter 05

Wednesday - 22 October, 2008

At 8:30 a.m. Janice knocks on Gerry’s door to wake him up. It’s the first time he’s slept this late for many years. She has a breakfast tray with her and strict orders to make him eat its contents. After knocking a second time she lets herself into his bedroom. He’s still asleep, and he clearly didn’t have a good night. Much as she’d like to let him sleep on he’s needed at Highcliff. He’s the government until Harold is out of the hospital because all of the others who had the proper training are now dead. Even then, Harold is likely to be the official face, and only the face. Sitting on the side of the bed she shakes him awake. When he sits up she starts feeding him toast. He gives her a weak smile.

She says, “Meara rang, she’s on her way home, should be here in an hour or so. She gave me strict instructions about how much to stuff down your throat, so eat.” He nods to her and slowly chews the toast, clearly he has no appetite and he wouldn’t eat if left to himself. She continues, “Francine rang, Harold has some brain damage. He’s recovering, but he’s not what he was. They think, and if the Clan Father agrees, he’ll serve as King, but only as a figurehead who’ll be administering the policy you make as he can manage that. They’ll do that until a suitable replacement’s available and trained, say five years or so. Then he can cite his injuries and retire early.”

Gerry looks up saying, “No, he’ll need to stay on the throne for about ten years. The next King can’t be tainted by yesterday or its aftermath. So take your time looking for a husband, find one you love who’s also suitable.”

Slowly shaking her head she smiles at him, and asks, “Why me?”

“I guess they didn’t tell you. Carly and Robert aren’t acceptable and they’re already in place as public spokesmen. Francine and Harold you know about. Erica is too full of hate and too aware of the hate to be allowed to take the throne. Isobelle will make a terrible Queen, but a great adviser. I’m not allowed to take the thrown due to the law. That leaves you because all of the rest are dead.” Her face goes white with shock; pushing the tray aside he hugs her. It’s obvious they hadn’t told her about all of the dead. “I’ll stay on to make policy, but I’ll need you, Isobelle, Francine, Erica, Carly, and Vicky to keep me in check. They killed Sunny and Ray as well.” She starts to cry. He says, “It’s a hard blow, but we’ll survive, and they’ll pay. You’re the only one who wasn’t directly involved, nor totally overwhelmed by the emotions of the deaths. You’ll have to be the next Queen, find someone who you love and let me worry about training him to be King.” While crying she nods her head, then feeds him some more toast.


Highcliff

At 10:00 a.m. Ambassador Hedley and Captain Walters are shown into the Royal Reception Chamber where both thrones are vacant, except for a drawn sword. It’s sitting on the Queen’s throne with the scabbard hanging on the arm; it’s The Sound of Battle. They look at it while they wonder about its significance. From a seat beside the thrones Lord Robert says, “When Queen Lara declared the Stand she indicated the start of a war, the sword may not be sheathed until that war is over. Prince Edward has confided in me he expects the war to last some years. He could end it in two months, but he intends to respect the integrity of US soil and not invade it. He’s not launching a direct armed assault against our enemies, despite them hiding in the US. This will be a war of economics targeted against specific companies and individuals, a war of spies and assassins. I doubt he’ll assassinate many because he wants them broken and suffering, not to give them a quick death.” Both listeners are shocked, but not surprised. “You were early yesterday, why?”

After taking a deep breath Ambassador Hedley replies, “I know we’re not supposed to have any CIA people on staff at the Embassy. However, we all know they always sneak one or more in, or suborn some of my people. King Herbert said he wouldn’t take action as long as it was only one and they didn’t do anything active outside of the Embassy. Three weeks ago the assigned officer became seriously ill and he was shipped home. They filled the gap with a bright young fellow sent up from Australia. I gather he wasn’t the one Langley wanted sent, but the Australian Head of Station changed people without telling them. This fellow believes anything that might affect US - Berant relations should be told to the Ambassador. The night before last he saw two CIA agents he knew, unsavoury types believed to be dead, in Berana talking to the Junior Minister for Defence. Yesterday morning he told me what he saw. I called the King, but he’d left already. I left early to see him in Amarant to inform him. The rest you know.”

Another voice speaks from behind him. Turning around Ambassador Hedley sees a high-school student in a Royal Guards uniform with no rank badges walking over from a side doorway. Gerry says, “Thank you for your candour, Mister Ambassador. Whatever happens at home in response to you getting yourself and the troops involved in yesterday’s fighting the Berant Government won’t accept a replacement for you. We prefer to deal with people we know to be honest and fair, like yourself and the good Captain beside you. I think we’ll even live with that young CIA fellow staying on at the Embassy because he has the right approach. Captain, I believe the traditional method of recognising good work by a Marine is to say to them ‘semper fi;’ if that’s correct, please pass that onto your people for us.” Walking up to them he shakes their hands, “Yesterday I didn’t have a chance to properly introduce myself, I’m Prince Edward.” They stare at him as this young man is the Protector of the People and the second most, currently most, powerful person in the country. Sensing their surprise he says, “I’m a genius, father and grandfather have been training me to be Protector since I was five years old. I also have military training and field combat experience.” Recognising the medal ribbons for the Golden Claymore, Claymore, Valour Cross, and Silver Star Captain Walters slowly nods her head. She knows the personal details of the person nominated aren’t provided to the committee for approving major Berant awards. She wonders how they were won. Noticing her focus he says, “Very astute of you, Captain, my record is in the Royal Guards Database if you care to check. However, you’ll need to look up my legal name. For your information, and only yours, that’s Gordon Edward Mannheim, my current rank is General. I’ve nearly seven years active service, and I’ve been in a number of combat situations.”

Captain Walters gasps, and Ambassador Hedley looks at her. She says, “Gordon Mannheim is already a legend in the Guards, Sir. I know you’ve heard of Tim’s Halt, he was in command there. I thought some of the stories were exaggerated, but I’ve spoken with people, ones whose word I can trust. They say he’s better than claimed and they don’t give the full details because they think people won’t believe them.”

Smiling at them Gerry says, “I trust neither of you will tell anyone or place on record anywhere what my legal name or my true age are. At the moment I’m below U MAMA’s radar because they think I’m two people and they expect both of them to be several years older. It’s one of the few advantages I’ve got, and I intend to make the most of it. By the way, Captain, what did you think of my new planes. Totally new design and concepts, including the weapons. I like inventing because it’s fun and it keeps me alert.”

Grinning, she replies, “The weapons pods deployment process is simply diabolical, I love it. They’re very accurate and very effective. I thought we were all going to die until they shot the place up. Now that’s what I call combat air support. Can we expect to see some?”

He says, “Sort of. Now I’ve proven the concepts and designs I’ll design a smaller version for general use and sale. They’ll be offered to the US military, along with a number of other inventions that have a military application. That’ll be part of the attack on U MAMA. If I can offer better weapons systems at lower prices they should lose market share and have some financial difficulties. That should keep them busy and at home for a while. I intend to send their companies broke, buy them out for a song, and employ the people making other things, toys or dolls seems a good thought. A very fitting form of destruction, I think.” All smile. “To get the best supersonic speeds we need very good streamlining. The best way to get that is to have most of the weapons that can’t work at supersonic speeds retracted out of the way. That means we need a deployment process. You can either have one large pod or a number of little ones. I settled for little ones, then some can take damage without affecting the rest. Once that decision was made it was nothing to add the psychological factor. I thought it was cute. The first time they displayed that ability in front of father he laughed, he loved the idea. Most of the pods are standard rockets for air-to-air and air-to-ground attack with a few high calibre cannon as well. The planes have some new design weapons mounted in-board as well.”

Gerry seriously says, “I hope you brought some experts to lobotomise all those captured classified weapons systems of yours. I don’t want your people claiming we’ve stolen any of their secrets. On a related issue, it’s going to take some time to process the vessels. I’m prepared to delay processing for a few weeks while you find out if your people are prepared to buy them back. I’m prepared to sell them for fifty percent of their replacement cost in cash plus their equivalent tonnage in quality steel. No point in giving U MAMA any extra business if you’re going to replace them. You can pay us and seek to recover it off them. Also, I suspect you may wish to arrange to have the prisoners taken home in job lots in USAF Galaxy transports or the like. Most of the prisoners are active duty US military personnel on temporary deployment, or loan to the CIA, or other such like arrangements.”

Ambassador Hedley replies, “I’ve already had a message asking if you’d permit that. It seems the military brass can’t wait to talk to them. They want to know why they’re here and on whose orders. I’ve sent the specialists to Port Medra because Lord Robert said that’s where the ships will be docked. I also sent along some Marines to provide a guard for the prisoners being transported.” They all smile.

Gerry says, “Thank you. I’m sure you’ve seen the official statement made by Princess Carly last night.” They nod yes. “Although this’ll mostly be a clandestine war I want the public to know who we blame and why. I’m making everything public. I want those people to suffer. Last night I issued orders to all of the Royal Intelligence Service Commanders. All the information they have or get on corrupt actions by politicians, military personnel, and public servants that benefits U MAMA is to be provided to people in the relevant US authorities so they can deal with it. We’ll give it to people we know are clean and will act on the information supplied. So far information on eight hundred and seventy-two people has been given to the FBI, National Security Council, Department of Justice, and Judge Advocate General. The information has been comprehensive and detailed. They only need to confirm the validity of the data and charge them. They’ll get convictions. This should cause concern for U MAMA because it’ll affect their ability to buy contracts and to influence your political system. Lord Robert has a package of discs for you with electronic copies of all that information.”

After taking a deep breath he adds, “Berant has no nuclear program and we don’t buy nuclear material or weapons. However, we do own over fifty class one and class two tactical nuclear weapons. All of them taken from U MAMA and CIA spies. They smuggled them in with the aim of detonating them in this country. The package Lord Robert has for you includes the model and serial numbers of most of them with the date, place and from whom they were confiscated. We’ve no intention of handing them back. We did that with the first two we caught and they got shipped straight back to us. We’ve incorporated a number of them into cruise missiles as nuclear warheads. We can, and will, deploy them to protect our country and its citizens. The effectiveness of them was demonstrated against the invasion force. You should let your bosses know that.” He stops and takes another breath.

He says, “The main purpose for seeing you this morning is to inform you I’ll pay compensation to the dependants of the dead Marines and to those with permanent injuries. I’ll also give a bonus to all involved. I want the way cleared for the people to be allowed to receive the payments as tax free bonuses. The dead and permanently injured will get one million dollars each and the rest will get half a million dollars.” The Ambassador and Captain are stunned by this. “I also intend to pay the USMC War Widows fund, or whatever you call it, five million dollars. These payments are coming from the Amir Clan and not the Berant Government. I’d like your assistance in making it happen just right for the people. This is a very personal matter for us.” They both nod in agreement. “Thank you.” He turns and walks out through the side door. He leaves them wondering about this young man who’s now in charge of Berant.

Lord Robert says, “I don’t know if you know it, but he lost over twenty-five close family members yesterday, including his eldest daughter and seven of his siblings, that makes eight killed by U MAMA in the last six years. Of the fifteen children his parents had only six survive. He’s now the head of his clan because he’s the best suited for the job, and it isn’t an easy job. The clan is very rich and can easily afford those payments. It’s a measure of their gratitude to your people they’re making these payments. It’s also their way of showing they see a clear difference between those who attacked us and the regular people of the US. Please make that clear to your government. Any attempt to interfere with the payments will be viewed as a hostile act.”

Ambassador Hedley nods his understanding while saying, “I’ve already given the Secretary of State a heads up as a result of Prince Edward’s talk yesterday. They’re looking at ways to allow it to happen. It may require a special Act of Congress. This’ll take time to organise, but I’m sure it’ll happen, and in the manner you wish it to. This also has the support of the President and his party.” Lord Robert nods acceptance. They continue to discuss many other routine diplomatic matters arising out of the activities of yesterday.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.