The Two Crosses - Cover

The Two Crosses

Copyright© 2016 by Mustang

Chapter 3

Grant spent Christmas morning with his daughter, Cathy, and her family as they opened their presents. He excused himself around noon to go see Jennifer and promised to return for turkey dinner. Cathy mentioned she’d like to meet Jennifer someday soon.

“Merry Christmas, beautiful!” He smiled, entering Jennifer’s room. She held her arms open for a hug, and he gently caressed her body with his. Quickly becoming more comfortable with Grant, she willingly kissed him.

“Can you manage to sit in your chair by the window?”

“I think I can, why?”

“I have a Christmas present surprise for you. Keep looking out the window. Be right back!” He kissed her quickly and hurried to the parking lot.

Grant determined where Jennifer’s window was and walked Max back and forth so she could see him. He let him sniff her hat, and he became very excited, whimpering and whining. Grant gently had him sit, and with paws on his knees, he tried to point his head towards her fourth-floor window. Grant could see the tiny figure of Jennifer in the window, but not Max.

Jennifer’s eyes welled up, seeing her beloved Max. She knocked on the glass, and though it was useless for him to hear, she yelled his name several times. She cried for him, happy tears because Grant was taking care of Max.

“You are such a good man,” Jennifer said as he returned to her. “Thank you so much, Grant! I needed to see him. Can I see him? I need to see and hug my Maxie.”

“I don’t know if I’m allowed to take you out of your room so soon, but what the heck, it’s Christmas Day! I’ll tell the nurse I’m giving you the scenic tour. So what if they catch us, what’ll they do about it? The love of a pet can do wonders to help a person heal, and I know you and Max miss each other.”

Grant grabbed a blanket and wheeled her past the duty nurse, telling her he was taking her for a spin and some fresh air. Going down the elevator and through the main doors, he parked her chair under the overhead roof, covering her with the blanket against the cold December winds.

Grant hurried to his car, Jennifer’s eyes following him all the way. Her eyes grew misty as she saw Max jumping and barking with excitement. He took a moment to calm him down, and he walked dutifully beside him.

The breeze carried her scent, and Max instantly became agitated, whimpering to find the source. Then he spotted her and strained at the end of his leash. Grant hurried his pace, trying to keep up with Max. He finally let go of the leash and bound to her in the final few feet.

Max became a whirling dervish and whined, chirped, and barked at seeing his love again. His front paws on her legs, Grant had to restrain him from jumping onto her lap. She wrapped her arms around his neck the best she could, tolerating the pain. His tongue hung out the side of his mouth, and his eyes bulged in their sockets. Max’s long tongue was busy washing her face, taking in her scent, and realizing she was still alive.

Jennifer hugged and kissed his neck and muzzle. Her eyes were blinking uncontrollably, trying to clear her grateful tears. “You saved my life once, and you’re doing it again! I don’t know how I’ll ever repay you for your kindness! What a wonderful Christmas present!” Her eyes closed as she hugged the stuffing out of Max.

“Having you as a lifelong friend would be enough for me, and seeing that beautiful smile on your face!”

“I think Max and I can arrange that!” She smiled, rubbing him behind both ears. Jennifer looked at Grant as he stooped to her level to pet and scratch Max behind the ear. Her eyes, clear of tears, began to see him in a different light.

For the first time, she took the time to look closely at him. She knew he was tall, probably about six feet two, and he must keep in shape since he had no signs of a beer belly. His black hair was intermixed with some grey, more pronounced at the temples. Sideburns came to the bottom of his ears, and his square jaw framed his clear, green eyes and the rest of his handsome features. When he was with her, she never stopped smiling.

“I could use my ears scratched too,” he joked, and they laughed as she scratched him behind the ear. Even that playful touch from her sent tingles throughout his body. Grant asked her which food she usually fed him, and she mentioned the brand of dry dog food and, of course, his special treats.

“I’ll have Ellen stop by home and bring you some.”


“I’m sorry, but dogs are not allowed up here unless it’s a service dog,” a uniformed security woman told them.

“Be done in a minute. I’m doing group therapy for two patients,” he kidded.

The guard saw the closeness between the two and relented. “Just don’t bring him inside.”

Grant continued to pet Max, and he began to lick his face too, “Thank you so much for taking care of him. I can see he likes you very much too.”

“Then, you mean that she likes you very much too and includes you?” He inquired, looking her in the eyes.

“Yes, very much so!” Her soft hand caressed his smooth-shaven cheek.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.