Ne'Er Do Well
Chapter 12

Copyright© 2016 by SW MO Hermit

Shortly after the building was completed two things happened that were to have a direct impact on Garrett's future career. They obtained a contract to rent out the meeting rooms in the hotel to a political party to use for meetings. Garrett was available that evening and opened the rooms for the meeting then stayed around in case they needed anything. While he was there he met some of the movers and shakers in state politics for the first time. He had been promoted to Major three years before and knew some of the names. When they found out he was in the Guard they played the 'do you know' game.

Over the course of the next three years RKM Properties continued to grow and Garrett became more involved in state politics, rubbing elbows with the movers and shakers both in the Guard and in the Political arena.

Garrett was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel (LTC) and changed jobs to the State Headquarters in the National Guard. Four years later, he was again promoted to full Colonel (COL) and given a more responsible job. Now he spent nearly two weeks a month in the state capitol or travelling around the state working on Guard business. Most of that time was on active duty orders.

His friends in town still laughed when they found out he was gone once again on guard business. One day he was having breakfast before he left on yet another trip and one of the jokers said, "What the hell do you do for the Guard anyway, Garrett? Hell, you're always gone to guard meetings or something."

"Oh, I mostly just tell them how to run things now and make sure they're doing it right."

Everyone laughed at that. Garrett's units had always been several miles away from home and he still hadn't told anyone his rank or job so they all thought he was some mid-level sergeant milking the teat for all he could.

Two more years and another election was on the horizon. This time one of Garrett's friends, a state Senator, was running for governor. He and Garrett were sitting in a small bar near the capitol one evening discussing the election when the friend said, "I think I can win this thing but the coffers are dry. If I don't find some money in the next week or so I'll have to stop advertising and lay off most of my paid help. That will be like handing the election to Monty and we know what that will mean."

"Oh, hell, yeah. That bastard hates my ass. I crossed him several years back when he tried to get his nephew a cushy job in headquarters he wasn't qualified for. He's been after my ass ever since. I'd probably have to retire if he gets elected. Discounting that, he would wreck the state. All his cronies and their pork barrel politics would bankrupt it. We're teetering on the edge now.

"What would it take for you to go on like you are?"

Cedric snorted and said, "You mean besides a miracle? I'm going through about $25,000 a week now. It's still three weeks until the election and I should be increasing the advertising to blitz him. That, at a minimum, would require me to double my weekly expenditures."

"So, if I'm hearing you right you need at least $150,000 more to last until the election. I might be able to help with that but I don't know a damn thing about the election laws and contributions. If I can find you the money can your staff work it so we don't get into trouble?"

"Well, hell, yeah. That's what they're for. But where the hell would you find that kind of money?"

"Well, I have a few dollars stashed but I can get more from RKM Properties. I"

"RKM Properties! How the hell can you get anything from them? I didn't know you travelled in those circles!"

Garrett looked around and lowered his voice before he said, "What I'm about to tell you is confidential. My family and I have worked extremely hard for years to keep this a secret. When I'm not here on Guard business or on the farm I do maintenance for RKM. I used to do it all but now the business is so big they hire several maintenance men full time. My wife and her mother work in the office and management part time."

Cedric cut in with a snort and said, "Oh, come on, Garrett. We're friends but now you tell me your civilian job is as a maintenance man for RKM and you think you can get them to turn loose of that kind of money? I'm almost insulted. What makes you think they'll even talk to you about a donation much less give me one?"

Garrett became angry with his friend and almost stood and walked away in his anger. At the last moment he remembered what was at stake and clenched his jaws. He took some deep breaths and got himself partly under control before he replied, "Yes, asshole, I think I can get them to cut you a check. If you would keep your damn mouth shut for a minute maybe I can explain."

Cedric's face turned two shades of deep red when Garrett talked to him like that. His eyes glinted and he stared daggers at Garrett. He said, "Garrett, we're friends and that's all that's saving your ass right now. NO ONE talks to me like that. NO ONE. You're on thin ice here now. I think we both better just leave before one of us says something that ends our friendship."

Garrett looked at Cedric a moment then said, "Listen, give me a minute here and stay off your high horse. Like I started to say, my family and I don't trust just anyone with what I'm about to tell you but, yes, I KNOW I can get RKM to cut a check for $150,000 if we can do it legally."

Cedric looked at Garrett. The man was so confident it surprised him, but that came with the bird on each of his shoulders. He decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and hear what Garrett had to say. He took a deep breath and said, "Ok, how are you going to do that?"

Garrett smiled and said, "I own RKM. They usually do what I tell them to do."

"WHAT! You own RKM? You own the largest property management company in southwest Missouri? I thought you just said you were one of the maintenance men?" He frowned and continued, "How did you manage that? Better, how the hell did you keep that a secret? No, that's not important. You would actually be willing to do that for me?" His eyes narrowed a moment then he asked, "What will this cost me?"

Garrett looked him in the eye and said, "Less than you think. We both agree on what the state needs now. I want you to stay true to your beliefs and not give in to the special interest groups that will try to sway you while you're in office. That's all. I'm happy in the Guard and I want to stay as long as I can in a senior position. I really don't want anything else."

Cedric smiled and held his hand out for Garrett to shake. When they shook hands, Cedric said, "Done deal. I'll have my people get with you or whoever you say to handle the details."

Within two days of the conversation Cedric's campaign and his political party (using soft money donated to the party to "educate" voters about Cedric) blitzed good old Monty. He was so sure he had Cedric on the ropes he relaxed, but even if he hadn't his coffers were nearly as empty as Cedric's had been. He couldn't keep up with the spending and lost momentum. His party couldn't fill in the gaps in his finances fast enough.

The day before the election, polls showed Cedric leading by almost 11%. When he heard that, Monty snarled, "Where the hell did that bastard get the cash infusion? I was sure we had him beat and we would have except for the last minute money he came up with. I want to know where it came from and I want something done about it."

Election day dawned bright and sunny. Surprisingly, the turnout was higher than normal and most of the voters were in Cedric's camp. Two hours after the polls closed the national news channels projected Cedric would win the election for governor by 67% to 33%.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.