Ne'Er Do Well - Cover

Ne'Er Do Well

Copyright© 2016 by SW MO Hermit

Chapter 2

The third week of July Garrett wandered into the local arcade and found a recruiter from the National Guard holding court, trying to convince the teenagers that hung around there to join. Garrett ignored him and his younger audience and moved to his favorite machine. It featured a soldier moving through a jungle on patrol. The object was to kill the enemy soldiers as they appeared and not hurt unarmed civilians or your own buddies.

After Garrett played a couple of games he noticed he had an audience. He turned and the Sergeant said, "You're pretty good at that game, son. Have you ever considered joining the Guard and learning the patrolling skills for real? We can make you a real sweet deal right now. There's a signing bonus for several specialties if you qualify and you earn money while you train for any number of careers. After your initial training you come back home and spend the next 6 or 8 years going to meetings one weekend a month and do a two week summer camp every year besides. You get 4 days pay for the weekend meetings and full pay and allowances for the two weeks in the summer."

"Yeah? And how much is this easy money? And how long do I have to be gone for this basic training I've heard you talking about?"

"Well, son, your pay is based on several things. Everyone enters as a Private, E-1 unless they have some civilian education above high school, then they can enter as high as a Private First Class (PFC), which is an E-3. Did you finish high school? And if you did, do you have any college credits now son?"

"Yeah, I have 60 semester hours of college now. I've been going to the local Community College and just received an Associates degree in construction technology. I'll have to go to the 4 year college next semester if I want to keep going."

"Great! We can probably get you signed up as a PFC then and you'll make some really good money right off the bat. You could start at about $1700 a month while you were in Basic and Advanced training, plus housing and subsistence allowances. While you lived in the barracks and ate at the mess hall you wouldn't receive the housing and subsistence. If you lived off post you would get them in addition to your base pay.

"After you came back home, you will receive about $258.00 a month for each weekend and $903.00 for your two weeks in the summer. That's pretty good pay for hanging with a bunch of great guys and serving your country."

Something about the sales pitch got to Garrett. Or maybe he was just pissed enough at his mother he decided to get away for a while. Whatever caused him to make the decision is unknown, but he said, "You know, I think I'll do it. Gramps and I have talked about the army before and he thinks it's a good deal."

"Great. I have my papers in the car outside if you want to come with me. We can get started today, then. When I have your appointments made for the tests and physical I'll take you to them. If you pass, we'll get you a report date and you'll be all set. Until you report for Basic, you'll join your unit for the monthly meetings, but won't be eligible to deploy if they are called up."

Garrett's test (ASVAB—a test to determine his ability to do various jobs in the military, one that helps place him in a Military Occupational Specialty or MOS) went exceedingly well. He was a prime physical specimen, so the physical detected no problems either.

After he obtained the results of the physical and ASVAB test the recruiter was very upbeat. He called Garrett and said, "Garrett, you can almost write your own ticket in the Guard. You have a great score on the test and I can put you in almost any MOS we have open. I have units that need aircraft mechanics, wheeled vehicle mechanics, supply clerks, even medics. You tell me what you are interested in and I can probably find you a position."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.