Living a CAP Based Present - Cover

Living a CAP Based Present

Copyright© 2016 by Allan Joyal

Chapter 69: Integrating New Crew

Major Greenfeld looked at me. “Why did you allow him to challenge you like that?”

“He’s not that much younger than me and I imagine he’s scared. If those two crew went through even half what I’m beginning to believe they must have been terrified most of the time,” I said.

“I never thought about that,” Major Greenfeld replied.

“I have always tried to pay attention to people. In my experience, the best way to lead others is to understand them. People forget that Sun Tzu’s wisdom started with understanding yourself, your men and your enemy,” I said.

Major Greenfeld looked impressed. “I see you have studied thoroughly.”

“I try,” I said when the airlock door reopened. The airlock was empty. “And I should probably be going.”

“Go,” the Major said. “I look forward to seeing more reports from you.”

I stepped into the airlock. The exterior door closed quietly behind me. I waited for the first interior door to open.

Just as the interior door opened I heard a chime.

“Captain Parker,” the AI called out. “Ensign Munfree has a question.”

“There’s an intercom in the airlock?” I said in surprise. Right after I finished speaking I brought my right hand up to slap my forehead. “No, don’t answer that. Obviously there is one. I’ll get my sign later. Put the call through.”

I expected to hear laughter but there was a long silence. “Captain?” I heard Ensign Munfree say timidly as I stepped through another airlock doorway.

“Yes, Ensign Munfree,” I called back. “I do have something for you to do once I’m aboard and we have launched from the station.”

“That’s what I was calling about. We have a signal from the station authorizing our departure. Ensign Daniels indicated that he wanted me to handle it. Shall we break the coupling?” Ensign Munfree asked.

I stepped through the next to last airlock doorway. “I’m deep enough in the ship that we can undock without any danger to me and we have all crew aboard. Go ahead and launch. The destination is Crucibleat,” I said. “Oh, did two colony habitation pods line up with our ships underside?”

“Is that what the banging was? The AI indicated that it was nothing to worry about. Ensign Daniels ordered a drone to check, but has not said anything,” Ensign Munfree responded.

“Put me through to him,” I said. “But keep listening. I’ll have a request for you in just a few moments.”

“Ensign Daniels,” I heard Ensign Munfree call out in a sing-song voice. “The Captain would like a word with you.”

“We shouldn’t be that unmilitary,” I muttered.

“Go ahead Captain,” I heard Ensign Daniels reply.

“Ensign Daniels, did a pair of habitation pods link up with the old hardpoints on the keel of Corsica?” I asked.

“Is that what the banging was? My remotes have indicated that there is no major issue. We did send a pair out, but they simply said that everything was situation normal,” Warren said. “What are we doing with two habitation pods?”

“Admiral Redmill was kind enough to allow for a transfer of two new crew members. They have come aboard with their concubines and we are using our hardpoints to move their homes. That’s why our next destination is Crucibleat,” I said.

“So we have two more crewmen than required?” Warren asked.

“No,” I replied. “Private Sarkozy and Private Kelly were transferred to Yularat. Their homes and concubines will be moved by a transport sent by Admiral Redmill. You can tell that to your crew, although I plan on making an announcement regarding this in the near future. Ensign Munfree, I do need you to alert all of the missile crew. There is a meeting in the galley in fifteen minutes just for them.”

“Should we leave all the missile stations unmanned?” Ensign Daniels asked.

“I believe we will be fine while we have the meeting. We’ll still be in the Yularaat system, and with so many Confederacy ships, I doubt we’ll suddenly end up in combat,” I replied.

“Can officers eavesdrop?” Ensign Munfree asked a bit too eagerly.

“Make sure you don’t ignore your real duties,” I replied as I stepped through the final airlock. “And make that announcement. I’m on my way to the galley now.”

“Why?” Ensign Munfree asked.

“I thought I’d grab a bite to eat before I talk to everyone,” I said with a shrug as I turned to the right and began the short walk to the rail gun passage.

I was in the passage and nearing the midpoint when I noticed Sergeant Robert Bruce standing in the hallway. The man snapped to attention and offered me a salute.

I saluted back. “Sergeant?” I asked in shock. “Why are you standing in the passageway?”

“I stepped out of the rail gun station,” the man said. “Just wanted to stretch my legs. Thought it would not be a problem.”

“You are probably the best we have at playing soldier,” I said. “You are definitely the one man just about everyone looks up to. Please don’t become a bad example for them.”

“All missile crews please report to the galley for a brief meeting,” Ensign Munfree’s voice echoed out over the ship’s intercom. “Again, all missile crews please report to the galley for a brief meeting?”

“A meeting? Should I attend?” Sergeant Bruce asked. “And what is it about?”

“I’ll be making a shipwide announcement later. While in Yularaat system, Private Sarkozy and Private Kelly were transferred off Corsica. We received two replacements. This meeting is to introduce them to the rest of the missile crew and see if there will be any immediate conflicts,” I said.

“Might be some with Hank. He’s not the friendliest man around,” Sergeant Bruce said quietly. “Make sure that Brent knows what he is allowed to do in order to keep the peace. Especially since Hank won’t be happy to lose his partner.”

“Private Swift will move over to missile four and pair with Private Morgan. The new crewmembers will form the team for missile three,” I said.

“Smart,” Sergeant Bruce said. “I’ll follow up in their quarters later.”

“I should get to the galley,” I said.

Sergeant Bruce stepped out of the passage and into the doorway for one of the railguns. “Go ahead. I’ll check on the gun. Although we haven’t done much since that first exercise.”

“I’ll get some additional exercises run in the future. Perhaps in some of the systems we visit,” I said as I started walking down the passageway.

I could hear some movement in the ship’s passageways as I descended the slope leading to the port side of Corsica. When I reached the passage I turned right and then turned right again to enter the galley. As the door to the room opened I could hear a conversation going on inside.

“We’re going to be raped,” a woman said with a sniffle. “There’s nothing to stop the men here from doing whatever they want.”

“You were there when we talked to the captain,” another female voice I did not recognize said. “Claire, he seemed to be a caring soul. And the Ensign clearly respected him.”

“But she left us here after showing us around. We know no one,” the first woman said with another sniffle.

I quietly entered the room and moved to lean against the wall. I could see my newest crewmembers sitting at a table. Their four concubines were clustered beside them.

“The infants are sleeping in the concubine’s quarters,” the pre-teen boy whispered to me. “Some boy named Kirk was thrilled by the opportunity to care for them.”

I nodded. “If you can, get the others to talk to him about Goddess,” I replied.

“Goddess? I heard a few names, but not that one,” the boy said.

“When I first met Ensign Munfree, Kirk was calling her that,” I said. “It was a game they played together. I believe they still play it occasionally.”

“Was it her voice that announced the meeting?” he asked.

“Yes,” I replied. “What happened to Ensign White?”

“Something to do with the crew quarters,” the boy said. “She only showed us the concubine’s quarters before suggesting we wait here while she talked to someone.”

I nodded as the conversation at the table continued. It was clear that Amy’s female concubine was emotionally distressed by something. The two men sat stoically as Jacqueline and Amy worked to calm Claire.

I was about to step forward to say something when the door just to my left opened.

“Please Ingrid,” I heard Morgause say in a wheedling tone. “I’ll let you have Jaden for a night. Heck you could take him for longer if you needed. I’m just feeling a bit desperate.”

“You could have brought Jaden along,” Ingrid replied. “I can’t understand why you didn’t.”

“I wanted to be sure he doesn’t cause more trouble,” Morgause replied sharply. “Do you know how close I came to having him executed after the trouble he caused back on Glowworm? He’s got a great cock and is great when you want to be fucked hard, but he’s not that bright.”

The six people at the table all turned to stare at the entrance. They seemed surprised by the conversation.

“What the fuck?” one of the men asked. “Who the hell are you?”

I leapt from my spot against the wall and moved to stand between the two groups. I had my arms out, with my palms facing the two groups. “Belay any response there Morg, Ingrid,” I said firmly as I looked to my left.

I turned to look to my right. “Lance Corporal, I expect that we are a bit less formal than on other ships, but that outburst is not something I can tolerate. Please make sure that it doesn’t happen again.”

Private Branch reached out and smacked the man who had spoke in the back of the head. He slumped forward. “Rick! You know the rules. You saw two concubines spaced for less back when we came out here.”

I watched the man. He reached back with his right arm to rub at the spot where he had been struck, but said nothing. There was a momentary silence and then I turned back to my older crewmembers.

“Sorry about all of this. I only want to explain it once, so if you could find a table to wait at,” I said.

The two ladies smiled. “Good,” Morgause said. “I’m wearing Ingrid down. Soon she’ll agree to let me ride Victor.”

Ingrid just shook her head as she walked over to the replicator. Morgause quickly followed. I just lowered my arms and walked over to the table where my new crewmembers remained.

“Who is that?” Lance Corporal Vernon asked.

“That is the team for missile two,” I said. “We just have to wait for missile one and the new missile four. You’ll be missile three once we get you settled in. I understand that you haven’t seen your quarters.”

“Kels was a bit busy,” the male concubine who had not spoken before said. “She said she needed to talk to ... I believe she called them Swift and Morgan.”

“Missile team four,” I said with a nod. “They are supposed to be the roommates of your mistress and her partner.”

“We won’t room with the other two ladies?” Amy asked.

“We might do that, but this is partly a test of Swift and Morgan. They have not been a good team or good crew. I’m going to see if they can make the necessary mental adjustments after we removed the two who led that group of problems,” I said.

“I won’t tolerate misogyny or attempts to accost Amy,” Jacqueline said sharply.

“Captain!” I heard Corporal Boswell shout from the doorway. “Why are we having a meeting now? We’re going to have no one manning the missile stations.”

“Come in,” I said. “All will be explained once everyone is here.”

I turned to look. Brent and William were already inside and heading to join Morgause and Ingrid at a table close to where I stood. Ensign White was standing just inside the door with her arms crossed. Hank Swift and Anders Morgan sat at the table closest to her. They were glaring at her as she looked at me.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.