Living a CAP Based Present
Chapter 59: Emergency Assignment

Copyright© 2016 by Allan Joyal

My walk back to my quarters was uninterrupted. I heard a few voices talking in the galley as I passed by the open door to the room, but no one called out for me. When I finally could see my door I felt a palpable sense of relief.

The room was dark when I first entered. I stepped fully into the room. The door closed, leaving me unable to see.

“Lights,” I ordered.

The room lit up. I looked over at the bare desk. “I should have set up some pictures of my ladies,” I thought.

“AI? Are there any reports I should be dealing with?” I asked.

“There are promotion suggestions from both Ensign Daniels and Ensign White that need your formal approval. There also is a damage report that you need to sign off on,” The AI said.

“Do I have to be at my desk, or can I use the corner nook and read the reports on a wall screen?” I asked.

“Your verbal input can be accepted,” the AI said.

I walked over to the corner nook and sat down on one of the couches. It seemed to become softer as I sank back onto the cushions.

“Oh, what is the rule on wearing our uniforms? I’m sure we need to have them on during a battle, but are they required at all times?” I asked.

“It is recommended that the uniforms be worn at all times. They include integrated protection against decompression and vacuum. However, they are only vital when a ship is in combat or traversing an unexplored system that has unknown hazards,” the AI said.

“Can we publish a report regarding this, but change the rule slightly. I don’t want anyone at a post out of uniform, but uniforms are not required while off duty,” I said.

“The new directive will be distributed,” the AI said. “Would you like to see the first of the promotion suggestions?”

“Go ahead and show them,” I said.

The wall to my left flickered. A rectangular section lit up displaying a report from Ensign White suggesting that Morgause Mercuri be promoted to full Corporal. The display included flashing boxes offering to display Morgause’s personnel folder as well as the current manning on Corsica.

The paperwork kept me busy for over an hour. The promotions proved to be difficult, mostly because I did not want to set a precedent where even the smallest positive was rewarded with promotions.

Just as I finished piecing together a formal report regarding the overload in missile one, Ensign Munfree’s voice cut in. “Captain?”

“I was just completing some paperwork,” I said. “Go ahead.”

“A message drone just arrived in orbit. Now I have Sergeant Griffith calling,” she said. “He wants both you and Captain Prescott on a communication link.”

“Put it through,” I said. “And see if you can get an update from Ensign Daniels. I might need the information.”

“You’ll be talking to them,” she pointed out.

“I have a viewscreen in here,” I replied. “A written summary will work perfectly. I just need to know so I can answer questions if I’m asked.”

“I’ll get something for you. Putting you through,” Ensign Munfree said. “Oh, Ensign White is off shift.”

“Good, I’d prefer if more of our crew was, but most of engineering is hard at work fixing all our problems,” I replied.

Ensign Munfree did not respond. I stared at the wall for a moment and then Sergeant Griffith’s voice cut in. “Did Corsica just join in the call?”

“This is Captain Parker from Corsica,” I responded. “I understand a message drone just arrived.”

“Yes, but I want Captain Prescott to be in on this communication as well,” Sergeant Griffith answered.

There was a long silence and then we heard Captain Prescott. “Sorry, I was down at the rail gun stations. After we received Corsica’s report regarding poor construction I asked my people to run diagnostics on their stations. We blew out the portside loading station controls when we did.”

“Any injuries?” I asked worriedly.

“So far we’ve had no major ones,” Captain Prescott responded.

“Let’s not get into a discussion on that just yet,” Sergeant Griffith said. “Now, I’m sorry to call, but as you might have heard a message drone just arrived.”

“My communications officer just told me. She’s currently the officer in charge on Corsica,” I said. “I was completing some paperwork.”

“I heard about it from my tracking officer, but there was no message for Ipanema so I concentrated on the repairs my ship needs,” Captain Prescott said.

“How bad are your ships?” Sergeant Griffith asked.

“I’m down a missile launcher and a rail gun while repairs are completed. And my engineer is limiting the maximum output of my engines until the starboard side flow tech station can be rebuilt,” I said. “We found some problems with the replicator patterns for that repair, and my ship’s electrician is getting some on the job training in making adjustments to parts.”

“How long until Corsica is fully operational?” Sergeant Griffith asked.

“It depends on if they can successfully make the adjustments to the parts coming from the replicator. Private Truit thought it would take about four more hours. The repairs to the two combat stations are going to take a couple of days. I only have a few crewmen who have completed damage control training, so I have to do the repairs when they are available,” I admitted.

“Captain Prescott?” Sergeant Griffith asked.

“I wish I could give you better new,” Captain Prescott said. “From what my engineering officer tells me, our people didn’t catch a couple of the problems Corsica’s did. Or at least we didn’t catch them in time. We’re down an engine for at least four days.”

“I thought it was less,” I said.

“So did I initially,” Captain Prescott admitted. “Unfortunately, once we started clearing away the debris from the damaged engine we discovered that not only were the flow regulation plates damaged, but several of the motors used to make the adjustments have been heavily damaged. We have to remove large sections of conduit to get to the motors, and then we’ll need to recycle the conduit in order to replace the sections we remove. The process will take eight hours for each of the four conduits and after that we still have to look at the other engine.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.